10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
    https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2020/...9-vaccine.html

"The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and the Department of Defense (DoD) today announced an agreement with U.S.-based Pfizer Inc. for large-scale production and nationwide delivery of 100 million doses of a COVID-19 vaccine in the United States following the vaccine’s successful manufacture and approval. The agreement also allows the U.S. government to acquire an additional 500 million doses."

So no money to create the vaccine but money to distribute ?
    Pfizers role in its partner ship is basically the hardware and distribution because that's what it's good at.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    Who are gonna be the guinea pigs for it? Essential workers? No, the real ones, not Carl the grocery store cashier or Valerie the barista. Doctors, nurses, people like that.

Be a total clusterfuck if great swaths of the medical field were fucked by this vaccine. Anyone want to place a bet on liability waivers?
    I said it another thread the news is good but more for shareholders.

This candidate is still in the early part of phase 3, still a giant mystery bag. Also one of the most sensitive of the vaccines that entered phase 3.

We're going to learn quickly if they've managed to accelerate the timeline to a vaccine or if they have a lot of kinks to work out.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    hmm, how much does a test cost around you? sounds like a better chance then playing scratch offs
    Test cost? About 0 USD on average.

10+ Year Old Account
    hmm, how much does a test cost around you? sounds like a better chance then playing scratch offs
    All states don't have free tests? We have a testing place open 7 days a week that gives both PCR and Rapid tests. PCR test only takes a day or so to get back, kind of negating that a Rapid test is even offered (rapid tests are only really effective if you have symptoms and both test can produce false negative if you test while in the incubation stage).

You can also pay a clinic $20 but all you really get is not having to wait in line.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    All states don't have free tests? We have a testing place open 7 days a week that gives both PCR and Rapid tests. PCR test only takes a day or so to get back, kind of negating that a Rapid test is even offered (rapid tests are only really effective if you have symptoms and both test can produce false negative if you test while in the incubation stage).

You can also pay a clinic $20 but all you really get is not having to wait in line.
    Gaidax is in Israel, not the US.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Ya i was talking about his country, if it was free the lottery thing is insane since people would just keep going for test

US Free?

If you have insurance, the insurance will be billed. they will pay. there is no out of pocket, but its not free.
    It will cost your plan, for which you pay for. Thankfully this additional cost will be offset by lower service utilization during the lockdown and since.

Medicare, Medicaid, VA will be paying the cost. (paid for by taxpayers $$)

If you are uninsured it will be paid by the federal program, unless you want a rapid test then you have to come up with the $$

CVS offers rapid test for "free" but you have to have a referral and meet many requirements

On top of just the test there is the lab fee which is upwards of 100+ dollars, thankfully almost all insurance companies are paying out of YOUR benefits 100%.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Ya i was talking about his country, if it was free the lottery thing is insane since people would just keep going for test

US Free?

If you have insurance, the insurance will be billed. they will pay. there is no out of pocket, but its not free.
    It will cost your plan, for which you pay for. Thankfully this additional cost will be offset by lower service utilization during the lockdown and since.

Medicare, Medicaid, VA will be paying the cost. (paid for by taxpayers $$)

If you are uninsured it will be paid by the federal program, unless you want a rapid test then you have to come up with the $$

CVS offers rapid test for "free" but you have to have a referral and meet many requirements

On top of just the test there is the lab fee which is upwards of 100+ dollars, thankfully almost all insurance companies are paying out of YOUR benefits 100%.
    Hmm, then that would definitly be one of the problems with US testing because PCR and Rapid are subsizided in my state. 100% no questions asked. Hell a few months ago they only verfied one persons name if you pulled up with a group (that person received everyones results), which I bet led to some HIPPA violations. Definitly resulted in lost test results.

This Pfeiser sitation situation shows how huge scams can people stomach

yesterday whole world was rejoicing

this morning we hear news that they base resoults on 94 people test group !

lol good luck anyone who takes this vaccine - you will need it

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post

And they've announced this massive victory pretty much immediately after the first succesful test, saying that the immunity will last a year with no side effects. Surely we'd need to wait at least a year to know if those people have indeed kept they immunity, and shown no side effects...

10+ Year Old Account
    That's the idea basically. 3k USD is not some insanely huge thing here, mostly it's an idea in order to encourage more people to take tests.

Here tests are simply free. Government pays.

You've misunderstood the testing. They have tested on 43000 people with no side effects. The number 94 comes from people they know have got coronovirus and have been protected. Without doing challenge tests (where they give people the virus directly) they need to just give the vaccine to lots of people and "hope" they contract the virus in the general population.

so since trump lost the election hes basically given up on anything related to covid
    just seen a guy on abc who predicted 400k cases a day by the time biden is inaugurated, trumpism will have the entire republican senate and scotus behind them. and 70 million americans, they will literally knee cap bidens response, and then blame him for all the deaths as soon as he takes office. these guys are pure evil i cant understand why so half the country cant see it, i hope i am just being deranged, but i cant help but have zero hope with this crisis,, even with the vaccine anti vaxxer conspiracies are so rampant 40% wont even take it..

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Industrial heart of the USSR... now torn apart
    In Donetsk, when in late spring masks were mandated, maybe over half population obeyed, and since we had 3rd best case rate in Europe after Finland and Latvia, the percentage was dwindling over time. By early September, only exceptions had masks even on their chin, the rest wore them in their pockets. Now cases are climbing and perception changed from "scary fairytale" to "a person I know got sick", more than half are wearing masks again, even though we're still doing comparatively well. Governmental enforcement didn't change much, people are doing it on their own. From what I gather, similar process didn't happen in USA at all, people wear masks by their party allegiance? Can someone non-radical share their first hand experience?

On a separate topic, my friend's acquaintance who ended up across the front in Ukraine, died last week from "two-sided pneumonia". A man over 50, didn't know his name but I saw him several times before the war in the street / yard. This is the closest to me Covid death so far, my own family came out unscathed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    It's not 2004. People have lives, jobs, families etc

Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    They explained this. While they were discussing changing from 32 to 64 cases, cases exploded in the US and they had over 90 before they could put anything together to show. It wasn't intentional.
    It wasn't intentional that it increased to 90 instead of 64, but could they have pushed more for reviewing it after only 32 cases, and possibly having results 6 days earlier? I don't know - but I cannot clearly say that it would have been impossible.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wezmon View Post
    You've misunderstood the testing. They have tested on 43000 people with no side effects. The number 94 comes from people they know have got coronovirus and have been protected. Without doing challenge tests (where they give people the virus directly) they need to just give the vaccine to lots of people and "hope" they contract the virus in the general population.
    I doubt that it's without side effects, as almost all vaccines have some side effects - but allegedly mild cases of at least fever, chills, and fatigue.

They vaccinated half (which seem common) and assuming I have the numbers right, then 20,000 got a placebo and of those 86 got ill, whereas 20,000 got the real vaccine and only 8 got ill. That indicates that in the placebo group 0.4% have managed to get infected in a short time (after 2nd dose - which is about a month after 1st dose) - so in one or two months on average it seems. (They seem to have started at the end of June/beginning of July, and in mid-September 12,000 had gotten 2nd dose; 30,000 were enrolled and they planned for 40,000 partipants.)
    Last edited by Forogil; 2020-11-10 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Math

A very scary disease that affects too many fatalities

Hmm, then that would definitly be one of the problems with US testing because PCR and Rapid are subsizided in my state. 100% no questions asked. Hell a few months ago they only verfied one persons name if you pulled up with a group (that person received everyones results), which I bet led to some HIPPA violations. Definitly resulted in lost test results.
    i just drove by our big "free" center at 1pm, the line was 2.5 miles long.
    sigh there goes my "safe" state

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    That's the idea basically. 3k USD is not some insanely huge thing here, mostly it's an idea in order to encourage more people to take tests.

Here tests are simply free. Government pays.
    Here people just take advantage of them

This is what you get with this administration and the lack of a concise and detailed federal plan...or a plan at all....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/th...?ocid=msedgdhp

These Towns Trusted a Doctor to Set Up Covid Testing. Sample Patient Fee: $1,944.
    Ms. Sussman, 51, took her whole family to get tested, and the results came back negative.

Then the paperwork came: $6,816 had been charged to insurance for four coronavirus tests. Ms. Sussman’s fees alone were $1,944.

- - - Updated - - -

LOL good luck to anyone who....ummm....does not understand what they are talking about and the people who end up believing them.

sigh
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health...is-just-hired/

Death cult leader Ron DeSantis predictably hires Uber driving conspiracy theorist with no expertise as a data analyst to...work as a data analyst on covid.

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    It wasn't intentional that it increased to 90 instead of 64, but could they have pushed more for reviewing it after only 32 cases, and possibly having results 6 days earlier? I don't know - but I cannot clearly say that it would have been impossible.
    The FDA routinely asks for more data during trials. They probably felt 32 wouldn't have been significant enough to know anything worthwhile. This is just interim data anyway, the FDA isn't making any decisions off this. It's mostly for the company to know whether to continue the trials or not.

Fauci says he will take new Pfizer vaccine if FDA approves it

Asked on MSNBC if he would take the vaccine, Fauci said: "I'm going to look at the data, but I trust Pfizer. I trust the FDA. These are colleagues of mine for decades, the career scientists. If they look at this data, and they say this data is solid, let's go ahead and approve it, I promise you, I will take the vaccine, and I will recommend that my family take the vaccine."

---

There ya go.

- - - Updated - - -

...aaand there's more!

Health officials to begin distribution of Eli Lilly antibody drug this week

10+ Year Old Account
    Problem with the Pfizer vaccine, has to be transported at below 70° degrees. What we currently don't have a transport system for yet.

That is assuming it gets through it's final testing phase.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.tampabay.com/news/health...is-just-hired/

Death cult leader Ron DeSantis predictably hires Uber driving conspiracy theorist with no expertise as a data analyst to...work as a data analyst on covid.
    It’s a bubble hire... The guy is good at manipulating numbers to convince GOP, that GOP is great.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi