Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    And I finally got first dose of Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine, still no improvement of wifi-reception :-)
    I heard it matters which arm you get it in. Some even report that you have to have one in each arm. Just rumors though.

I wonder what would have happened back when the polio vaccine first came out and people were this selfish to not get vaccinated. We'd still be dealing with polio I bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    sweden doing what it's best at... stupid bureaucracy...

https://www.expressen.se/nyheter/ale...-the-terminal/
    Almost all EU-countries have similar restrictions, and you can find them all at https://reopen.europa.eu/en/from-to/CZE/SWE

What I understand from people that have travelled is that even if you try to follow the rules it's tricky, as many countries require a negative PCR-test made 48 hours before arrival. That means you have to get tested, get the result back, and complete the travel within 48 hours - any delay and you fail.

Note that the statement "As an EU citizen, a negative PCR test is required to cross the border," is somewhat misleading, as most non-EU citizens are not allowed to enter an EU-country like Sweden; although travelers from some countries are exceptions. However, as far as I understand a negative PCR test is still required even from e.g. Australia, https://reopen.europa.eu/en/from-to/OTC/SWE

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    she's staying the airport for now... why can't she just get a test at the airport? because bureaucracy...
    That's not the entire requirement.
    It is: "All travellers are subject to the requirement for a pre-departure negative COVID-19 test."

Clearly she cannot get a pre-departure test after she arrived :-)
    I also guess that she isn't the only person with this issue (as I understand thousands of persons have been denied entry), and an intended side-effect of this rule is that it keeps unnecessary travel low.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    I think i've read in the newpaper that the european comission wouldn't purchase AZ vaccines after June or July, because AZ isn't delivering what they agreed with the EU. Anyway AZ vaccines are currently only given to those above 60yo, and most of those are already vaccinated.
    Depends on the country, though. In Latvia it is given to to everyone. The blood clot scare was something really stupid, overall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    And I finally got first dose of Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine, still no improvement of wifi-reception :-)
    Which leg are you hopping on? Are your elbows bent at 45 degrees? I’ve been hitting 9000 baud for a while...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Which leg are you hopping on? Are your elbows bent at 45 degrees? I’ve been hitting 9000 baud for a while...
    That made me look through my office old electronic drawers. There it was the old reliable US Robotics Courier Modem Dual Standard V.34 Fax with V .32 bis. Made in Canada btw. Not China.

Last edited by Rasulis; 2021-05-21 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    I heard it matters which arm you get it in. Some even report that you have to have one in each arm. Just rumors though.
    Actually I understand you should get vaccine shots in your non-dominant arm - so if it gets sore or falls off you still have your good arm :-)

That's why Whoopi Goldberg, Spike Lee, and Prince William got it in their right arms. (Well, Barack Obama seemed to have gotten it in his left arm - I guess someone didn't read the memo.)

Actually I understand you should get vaccine shots in your non-dominant arm - so if it gets sore or falls off you still have your good arm :-)

That's why Whoopi Goldberg, Spike Lee, and Prince William got it in their right arms. (Well, Barack Obama seemed to have gotten it in his left arm - I guess someone didn't read the memo.)
    serious talk, addendum I've been given is that if you are a side sleeper, get it in the arm you do not tend to sleep on. I'm a side sleeper and yay me, I sleep on both sides, but I tend to sleep on my left side more, so I got my first shot in my right shoulder despite it being my dominant arm. so some people ight have extra considerations to it. (and then of course I remembered, painfully, why I sleep on my right side at all - and that is to avoid some of the overenthusiastic puppy morning kisses, and so i definitely woke up when I tried to hide my face from him the morning after O_O so I guess I'm getting my second shot in my left shoulder, making it both arms for me. so hey, maybe my wifi will improve after all )

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    If the magnet test fails your wifi won’t improve. I got both in the non-dominant left arm just because I didn’t want soreness to impact my ability to use a mouse. The soreness wasn’t really that bad anyway. A few windmills to break stuff up and it would feel normal for a bit. Mostly felt like I’d overused the arm whilst climbing. The effect it had on my energy levels actually impacted me more as I got more sleep those first two nights than I usually get in 3(16 vs 15). Losing 3 hours a day put me behind on a few things, so I ended up having to spend a bit of my Saturday catching up.
    lucky you. I felt like I got kicked by a horse or something. tried to work my arm a bit hoping to work through it, but it felt bruised rather then sore for me. soreness from physical activity I can usually alleviate by pushing through and working through it. this shot just... hurt like a bruise :/ interestingly as long as I kept my arm slightly bellow my chest, it was ok, so my mouse holding or drawing was not impacted at all. its when I would try to raise it above my chest or just put any pressure on it (like laying down on my side) when it would get very bad, very fast. like pressing on a fresh bruise.

day 4 pain finally dulled enough (honestly, it felt like a healing bruise the entire time) that I could raise my arm without wanting to curl up and die immediately, so the first thing I did when I realized that hey - I can move my arm again, was play an hour of beat saber :P cause I missed it.

but anyways. I hope those magnets don't mess with my precision tools >_>

Let's have some politics in here:

India's government has instructed social media companies to remove any content that refers to the "Indian variant" of Covid-19.

The IT ministry said the World Health Organization (WHO) listed the variant as B.1.617 and any reference to "Indian" was false.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-57213046

Weak goverment doing weak goverment things. People are still gonna call it Indian variant, much easier to spell, if nothing else.
    Take that haters.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Let's have some politics in here:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-57213046

Weak goverment doing weak goverment things. People are still gonna call it Indian variant, much easier to spell, if nothing else.
    And sadly that's far the worst the Indian government has done recently against social media - or in general.

Awhile back there was https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-56894757

Basically someone was arrested for spreading the "false rumour" that they had run out of oxygen, when India was suffering from a shortage of Oxygen - https://www.dw.com/en/india-covid-ox...age/a-57425951

And then there was the amazing idea of basically declaring that the fight against covid was won in India a few months back, and therefore holding large rallies and large religious festivities like Kumbh Mela.

And sadly that's far the worst the Indian government has done recently against social media - or in general.

Awhile back there was https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-56894757

Basically someone was arrested for spreading the "false rumour" that they had run out of oxygen, when India was suffering from a shortage of Oxygen - https://www.dw.com/en/india-covid-ox...age/a-57425951

And then there was the amazing idea of basically declaring that the fight against covid was won in India a few months back, and therefore holding large rallies and large religious festivities like Kumbh Mela.
    Well, elections wait for no one
    But yes, India has done really poorly, it was, indeed, just a question of time for massive outbreak and failure of healthcare system to happen.
    Take that haters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have we talked about "black fungus" yet? If I'm reading this correctly, India's hospitals are so overwhelmed and also so poorly upkept that 9,000 people have been infected and 250 have died from a fungal infection that COVID-weakened patients can't fight off.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Have we talked about "black fungus" yet? If I'm reading this correctly, India's hospitals are so overwhelmed and also so poorly upkept that 9,000 people have been infected and 250 have died from a fungal infection that COVID-weakened patients can't fight off.
    It's been mentioned, but not discussed. It's not unexpected - in developed countries some covid-patients have died to bacterial pneumonia for similar reasons.

Note that those numbers are likely just a fraction of the actual cases.

On the bright side, it seems the situation in India is starting to improve as the rate of new cases is declining (and the positivity rate declining from 20% to 15%), and the death-rate seems to have stabilized (about 4k reported deaths per day; the actual number is likely higher).
    However, India is a big country so it could be that pandemic is moving from urban areas to more rural areas with less accurate reporting.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    wait this black fungus?

https://zunalak.bandcamp.com/album/black-fungus-7

Anywhoo. Hey what harm could 30% of the population refusing to get vaccinated really cause.... /s
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Reports coming out of Japan might be a good signal that we really are not out of the woods yet.
    Really wonder if there will be any Olympics happening

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-p...ht-2021-05-24/
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Reports coming out of Japan might be a good signal that we really are not out of the woods yet.
    Really wonder if there will be any Olympics happening

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-p...ht-2021-05-24/
    Japan has been odd the entire time (focusing on the 3 C; maybe that's the good solution - maybe they were lucky), but currently their case numbers seem to be decreasing after this 4th(?) wave so I don't see them stopping the Olympics based on that.

However, it might be that they get 5th wave just in time for the Games.

https://newschannel9.com/news/local/...rkers-with-suv

And crazy people in the US are driving through vaccine sites to "protest" the vaccine, almost running into and severely injuring/killing people including National Guard members.

This is why I continue to say that the US isn't gonna be capable of fully beating covid. Too many dangerous idiots who will not only refuse to get vaccinated, but will actively try to prevent others from getting vaccinated because they don't respect personal choice and freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

And crazy people in the US are driving through vaccine sites to "protest" the vaccine, almost running into and severely injuring/killing people including National Guard members.

This is why I continue to say that the US isn't gonna be capable of fully beating covid. Too many dangerous idiots who will not only refuse to get vaccinated, but will actively try to prevent others from getting vaccinated because they don't respect personal choice and freedom.
    Yeah, and their is also the India experience where they now also have a black fungus issue, and at least one new variant that they are trying to keep from being called the India Mutation - though once they get more than one mutation, they will get their wish as they won't all be called the India Mutation. One report talked about as many as 3 separate India Mutations.

So there is almost a guarantee that the virus throws the US at least one more curve. And I agree with you that we will find a way to maximize how deadly and how much damage these curves cause.

OK MAYBE NOT QUITE MAXIMIZE.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

It's Tennessee.

Only 21k bail?

Look at booking photo. Probably smoke a cartoon of menthol cigarette a week, eat McDonald and KFC on a daily basis, drink soft drink and Red Bull, and refused to get vaccinated because it might cause long term health issue. Tut tut tut tut.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    Yeah, and their is also the India experience where they now also have a black fungus issue, and at least one new variant that they are trying to keep from being called the India Mutation - though once they get more than one mutation, they will get their wish as they won't all be called the India Mutation. One report talked about as many as 3 separate India Mutations.

So there is almost a guarantee that the virus throws the US at least one more curve. And I agree with you that we will find a way to maximize how deadly and how much damage these curves cause.

OK MAYBE NOT QUITE MAXIMIZE.
    They'll be called India 1 and India 2 and India 3.