Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Neither smallpox nor polio were eradicated by herd immunity, bruh.
    They also don't mutate nearly as much as other viruses so vaccines work exceptionally well against them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Neither smallpox nor polio were eradicated by herd immunity, bruh.
    Why do people keep ignoring the fact that vaccines are a part of herd immunity? And yes, smallpox and polio were "eradicated" by herd immunity induced by vaccine. ("Eradicated" is in quotes because, while smallpox has been officially eradicated, polio is only suppressed to the near-level of eradication.)

But there was always an almost zero chance that COVID could ever be eradicated to the level of smallpox and polio. There are plenty of breakthrough cases even now, especially with delta. That being said, the chance for serious illness is extremely low for subsequent reinfections, so once it's had a chance to infect almost everyone at least once, it will probably fade back into the background like the other 4 coronaviruses that cause "the common cold" each year.

So no, it's not going to continue to cause the same amount of death going forward, once SARS-CoV-2 is no longer "novel".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    No one is discussing herd imunity for covid either. Vaccines don't stop infections, and if you still thinking in the famous 70% for herd imunity, well, that was the calculation for the original sars-cov-2, since then he mutated and the herd imunity target is almost at 100%, something impossible to hit.
    It can't really get that close to 100%. It's more like 88% now, with delta. But that number is pretty impossible to reach, now, considering that the vaccine effectiveness against delta is around there in the first place.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    But there was always an almost zero chance that COVID could ever be eradicated to the level of smallpox and polio. There are plenty of breakthrough cases even now, especially with delta.
    Covid can also effectively spread to animals and back (in contrast to smallpox and polio) - which reduces it from almost zero to zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Naah, commercially made masks are pretty transmissible. Even I, as an asthmatic, do not have problems in the O² regard, as long as I do not exert myself and sit still (e.g.: in the bus) or walk slowly when at the Bus stop.
    So I would wager, that a healthy person could do it.

I certainly would not be able to do any physical work in them, though. Not a chance. Though not much more of a chance w/o one either lol.
    Asthmatic since the 1980s.
    i work in a warehouse for the last 8+ years
    90-110 in the warehouse. its actually worse on my asthma during the winter.
    physical job.

No problems outside of my normal flop sweat.

Sometimes i have to do a little puff puff but then again i always had to before the mask as well.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    But there was always an almost zero chance that COVID could ever be eradicated to the level of smallpox and polio. There are plenty of breakthrough cases even now, especially with delta. That being said, the chance for serious illness is extremely low for subsequent reinfections, so once it's had a chance to infect almost everyone at least once, it will probably fade back into the background like the other 4 coronaviruses that cause "the common cold" each year.

So no, it's not going to continue to cause the same amount of death going forward, once SARS-CoV-2 is no longer "novel".
    Precisely.

So vaccine who you can, then let it tear through the idiots that don't want the vaccine, accept the losses and let normal life continue.

Curious: everyone was yapping over the UK being irresponsible in dropping all restrictions, why are numbers already falling over there?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Asthmatic since the 1980s.
    i work in a warehouse for the last 8+ years
    90-110 in the warehouse. its actually worse on my asthma during the winter.
    physical job.

No problems outside of my normal flop sweat.

Sometimes i have to do a little puff puff but then again i always had to before the mask as well.
    Well, congrats. You're fitter than I am.
    Want a cookie?
    Oh wait, not good for your physique....

*demonstratively eats cookie in front of you*
    OMNOMNOM!:<

if you are vaccianted you should be fine from the virus' harm. the only ones who could get hurt are those non vaccinated, who you all seem to loath anyways.
    You probably can't imagine someone feeling like this but let me tell you even though I think people who don't want to be vaccinated are idiots I still don't want them to die.

Well, congrats. You're fitter than I am.
    Want a cookie?
    Oh wait, not good for your physique....

*demonstratively eats cookie in front of you*
    OMNOMNOM!:<
    IF you saw me you would not be saying that.
    I am a mess.

I was adding my anecdotal example to add to your anecdotal example. Can't expect people not to respond in kind?

I actually just had 4 cookies, stripped chocolate ones.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Precisely.

So vaccine who you can, then let it tear through the idiots that don't want the vaccine, accept the losses and let normal life continue.
    No, that's not at all what I said, sorry.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

IF you saw me you would not be saying that.
    I am a mess.

I was adding my anecdotal example to add to your anecdotal example. Can't expect people not to respond in kind?

For me it's dark chocolate (92-95%), and walnuts / almonds / cashews, with a smattering of dried fruit.

I eat healthy, so I am gaining weight slowly rather than quickly. I'm still on the fit side though (but going in the wrong direction). And I still do 10k steps a day 3-4 days out of the week.

Overall, not bad considering the circumstances we find ourselves in.

That's nice, smallpox and polio would say hello but they both got eradicated by vaccination.

Zzzz. This is lazy as hell. Just get the fucking shot and stop annoying everyone else.
    Sadly anti-vaxxers refuse to admit smallpox and polio are gone due to vaccines. They try and spin a whole lot of other reasons, such as it just dying out (after being around to thousands of years), to increased standards fo health and cleanliness (and that one is debatable given some older civilisations had very high standards of hygiene, probably even more so than a lot of people today).

10+ Year Old Account
    No, that's not at all what I said, sorry.
    No but apparently it's the conclusion the U.K. has drawn and personally, I agree with them.

*chuckles*

Curious: everyone was yapping over the UK being irresponsible in dropping all restrictions, why are numbers already falling over there?
    footballs finished.

The obvious question is why numbers are falling.

The possible explanation would be:
    • It's some form of herd immunity - but the new number of infected is simply too small.
    • Declining number of tests - possible, but I cannot confirm it on https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-testing
    • People are actually taking precautions on their own initiative. Very doubtful
    • The pingdemic is working, possibly also indirectly: the direct idea is that A infects B and B met C, D, E then C, D, and E self-isolate so that they don't spread that infection, but indirectly it also means that F who was infected somewhere else cannot meet C, D, E. Seems too complicated, and those rules are also changing so if that is the explanation it will be short-lived https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57894392
    • Or simply:
      Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
      footballs finished.
    BTW: It's only number of cases declining so far, deaths still seem to be increasing (but it is lagging) - I couldn't find new statistics for hospital admissions yet.
    There are reports that people are told to not get to hospitals, but that is 'cause they are flooded with water: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57965298

Quote Originally Posted by JarJarBinks View Post
    i have a free will and healthy life

edit to you all, if im full of shit and a troll why bother responding? did i strike some kind of nerve? does the underlying, subconsious truth sting?
    Nothing you have said was the truth. You are just trying to get the fucking virus to spread, and mutate, to make the vaccines fucking useless. If we get them vaccinated now, we will have less variants that are less deadly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    BTW: It's only number of cases declining so far, deaths still seem to be increasing (but it is lagging) - I couldn't find new statistics for hospital admissions yet.
    Obviously, deaths lag behind roughly a month.
    It'll be interesting to see if the trend holds or whether we get a massive surge in 1-2 weeks.

https://www.newsweek.com/louisiana-g...-1612933?amp=1

Death Cultist who got the virus once, refuses to get the vaccine, gets the virus a second time. Blames the Chinese because he's too fucking retarded to get a tested and safe vaccine.

We've got people in hospital ICU's with the virus struggling to breathe still denying that it's a deadly virus and still angrily asserting that they'll never get vaxxed. We may have to live with this as a perpetually mutating virus in a permanent state of semi-lockdowns because people believe bullshit lies and can't think of anyone outside of themselves. And they're the very people upset that we have mask mandates and lockdowns that could be avoided moving forward if they just got the fuckin vaccine.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.newsweek.com/louisiana-g...-1612933?amp=1

Death Cultist who got the virus once, refuses to get the vaccine, gets the virus a second time. Blames the Chinese because he's too fucking retarded to get a tested and safe vaccine.

We've got people in hospital ICU's with the virus struggling to breathe still denying that it's a deadly virus and still angrily asserting that they'll never get vaxxed. We may have to live with this as a perpetually mutating virus in a permanent state of semi-lockdowns because people believe bullshit lies and can't think of anyone outside of themselves. And they're the very people upset that we have mask mandates and lockdowns that could be avoided moving forward if they just got the fuckin vaccine.
    To be fair covid needs to be tackled globally, unfortunately some nations are too poor to get enough vaccine and other nations simply have too many deranged anti vaxxers, so it will never go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    To be fair covid needs to be tackled globally, unfortunately some nations are too poor to get enough vaccine and other nations simply have too many deranged anti vaxxers, so it will never go away.
    Vaccines are going to poorer nations, thankfully. They really need to both for humanitarian reasons and for simple economic reasons - those nations may be small/poor but many are important to global supply chains or as markets for goods and services. It's literally in the interest of first world nations to share vaccines globally, even before their whole population is vaccinated.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Vaccines are going to poorer nations, thankfully. They really need to both for humanitarian reasons and for simple economic reasons - those nations may be small/poor but many are important to global supply chains or as markets for goods and services. It's literally in the interest of first world nations to share vaccines globally, even before their whole population is vaccinated.
    They still don't get enough, every last person on this planet needs to be vaccinated at least once a year, for several years in a row, if we even want to hope to get this under control, but even then chances are, we are going to get a mutated strain capable of bypassing immunity.

I'd say humanity has already fucked up, covid is here to stay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not a vaccine but a treatment to Covid-19

In portuguese
    https://24.sapo.pt/atualidade/artigo...tar-a-covid-19

Google translated
    A Japanese company has started clinical trials of a pill to treat covid-19, joining Pfizer and Germany's Merck in the race to find a drug for the disease.

Shionogi announced that it has started clinical trials of a drug designed to neutralize the new coronavirus in less than a week, according to The Wall Street Journal (WSJ).

Known for the drug Crestor for cholesterol, the Japanese drugmaker emphasizes that it is still testing the drug and the side effects that arise from the trials that began this month — and that will probably continue until next year.

"Our goal is a safe oral compound," revealed Isao Teshirogi, chief executive of Shionogi, who added that the intention is to create a pill capable of neutralizing the virus five days after a patient takes it.

The Japanese is, however, behind in relation to Pfizer and Merck, which are already at a more advanced stage in this type of tests on tablets. Pfizer, for example, began in March in the United States an early-stage trial of an oral antiviral therapy against covid-19. According to the pharmacist, the drug is to be prescribed to patients at the first sign of infection.

Shionogi hopes to have 50 to 100 healthy subjects in its trial in Japan, but the company believes that a larger trial, with more patients receiving placebo, could take place later this year.

According to the WSJ, the failure rate of drug trials is generally high. Any side effect, even if it's not particularly serious, such as nausea, could make a covid-19 pill not viable for home use — the primary intent of these trials.

Both Pfizer and Shionogi tablets are protease inhibitors that stop the virus from replicating in the infected patient's cells. These inhibitors have been effective in the treatment of other viral pathogens, such as the HIV virus or the hepatitis C virus, either alone or in combination with other antivirals.

However, unlike vaccines, the rapid development of specific drugs to treat covid-19 does not look so promising, which leads the European Medicines Agency to focus on six drugs based on antivirals and antibodies.

For now, the European regulator only approved, in June 2020, the antiviral remdesivir for the treatment of covid-19 in adults and adolescents from 12 years of age and with pneumonia, who require supplemental oxygen.