Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Could you stop arguing about why some friggin ISLAND STATES did better than continental domains? It's getting ridiculous.

You may be able to effectively close your borders, good luck trying that in central Europe.

Of course many countries fucked things up in the beginning. From trusting misinformation to (not) believing China to reacting far too late to reacting too timidly.
    Especially the half assed measures called "Lockdown-Light" my Country did last Oct/Nov bit us in the gluteus maximus and then some.

As for the US: yeah it was a mess. It still is. I do not envy them Americans one bit.
    Atleast your country isnt turning 180's every couple of weeks/months.. but thats the curse of having a visionless prime minister.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    I would certainly use helicopters. Still, an impressive feat.
    High elevation which limit the range and load carrying capacity of helicopters. Merak (pictured below) which is a major community is located at elevation 3,500 m. It is my understanding that there are small settlements located at even higher elevations. As high as 4,000 m. Back when I was there, getting to Merak was a two-day hike. I heard that they built a new road. Now it is only a day hike. No vehicle access.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I had an idea. You know those dart guns they use to tranquilize animals at a distance?

Load those up with vaccines, then set them loose in under-vaccinated communities.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    So I had an idea. You know those dart guns they use to tranquilize animals at a distance?

Load those up with vaccines, then set them loose in under-vaccinated communities.
    I love it, they can turn it into a reality TV version of The Most Dangerous Game. I'd watch.
    “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” -- Donald J. Trump, 2013

"I don't take responsibility at all."
    -- Donald J. Trump, 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    High elevation which limit the range and load carrying capacity of helicopters. Merak (pictured below) which is a major community is located at elevation 3,500 m. It is my understanding that there are small settlements located at even higher elevations. As high as 4,000 m. Back when I was there, getting to Merak was a two-day hike. I heard that they built a new road. Now it is only a day hike. No vehicle access.
    Good points, though I doubt carrying capacity should be an issue - vaccines are tiny. (I've been delivering them over the past half year.) Maybe if you include the medical team.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I checked out a clip of Tony Roman, a restaurant owner that has banned masks and “requires proof of being unvaccinated” at his restaurant. Holy fuck is he an idiot.
    WTF.... I guess human stupidity really is infinite. :S

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah, I want to be a "vaccine sniper".

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Millions of doses are expiring and being thrown away, countries like India are unable to do generic versions of the vaccines due to patent laws. It will take up to 5 years at the current rate to reach most of the world, that's 5 years of the virus mutating all thanks to greed. It would only take waiving those patents and 25 billion dollars to vaccinate the entire world but we ain't doing it.
    Most of the world also does not have Western logistical capacity (and I think you are totally ignoring logistics anyway), have different climatic zones (no Pfizer in Central Africa) and are just plainly against vaccination.

More than one 1/4th of the total population have already received at least one dose, that is more than 2 billion people. I really do not think you are qualified (or me, to be fair) enough to judge whether that is a lot or not in less than a year. There is an average of 35+ million jabs per day now, read, a Poland gets vaccinated every day. This is the biggest ever vaccination campaign to happen in record fast time.
    So, TL;DR, stop being so negative.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Yeah, at that altitude majority of heli's simply cannot fly, some others will be at limit. Look at the ubiquitos Mi-8 and it's derivations, it already would struggle at 4km with light load.
    Last edited by Easo; 2021-07-29 at 07:44 PM.

The fact that he calls the unvaccinated requirement an “IQ test” really underlines the point.
    Well, he's not wrong about it being a sort of IQ test, just not in the way he thinks it is.
    “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” -- Donald J. Trump, 2013

"I don't take responsibility at all."
    -- Donald J. Trump, 2020

The fact that he calls the unvaccinated requirement an “IQ test” really underlines the point.
    It is one, though probably not the way he means it.

10+ Year Old Account
    My workplace is back to requiring regular tests despite 99% of us being vaccinated.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    My workplace is back to requiring regular tests despite 99% of us being vaccinated.
    After me raising hell the last couple of days, a few of my coworkers decided to come forward and said they didn’t like the way the restaurant was handling the increase of both business and covid protections.

They’ve decided to go back to spacing tables, masking, and a heap load of other precautions. It doesn’t make the ones that won’t vaccinate get them, but it certainly is a step forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Half this forum would be permanently banned if we did everything some of our users regularly demand or otherwise expect us to do.
    Actual blue mod response on doing what they volunteered to do. No wonder this place is infested.

10+ Year Old Account

Or build the Medic's syringe gun and go from doing drive-through vaccinations to drive-by vaccinations.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Or build the Medic's syringe gun and go from doing drive-through vaccinations to drive-by vaccinations.
    Just in case someone is insane and actually considers it.

It's not a good idea (apart from ethical issues): you cannot guarantee that you hit the muscles (might hit a vein etc), and you also need to make sure the vaccinated are ok for 15 minutes at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pfizer med for covid-19 treatment on phase 2 of trials.
    https://twitter.com/pfizer/status/1420474141686255624

Vaccine mixing tested (AZ+Sputnik).
    https://twitter.com/sputnikvaccine/s...17800794066946

10+ Year Old Account
    Isreal to give boosters to over 60s who had their last vaccine 5 months ago as immune response is shown to lower over time.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-58021386

CDC Reports vaccinated people spread Delta variant (but don't suffer as severe an illness) as unvaccinated people. And that it's as transmissible a chicken pox (that is, very.)
    https://edition.cnn.com/2021/07/29/p...ons/index.html

Unwelcome news as this is for those looking to vaccinations for herd immunity, the important thing is that vaccines will still greatly reduce the chance of you ending up in hospital or dead, and should 100% get it done. But you shouldn't let having been jabbed mean you take your guard down on this or be thinking it'll be over any time soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Unwelcome news as this is for those looking to vaccinations for herd immunity
    If everyone would get the jab, the amount of severe cases would be handled by the healthcare system no problemo and we would effectively have ended the whole Covid 19 craze.

It doesn't matter that the Virus is still there if all it causes are mild cases.

Problems arise if you have ~30% of the population that is too paranoid to get the vaccine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    If everyone would get the jab, the amount of severe cases would be handled by the healthcare system no problemo and we would effectively have ended the whole Covid 19 craze.

It doesn't matter that the Virus is still there if all it causes are mild cases.

Problems arise if you have ~30% of the population that is too paranoid to get the vaccine.
    It still spreads well in a highly vaccinated population. And there are still questions in most countries over whether to vaccinate children. Finally, trying to keep on top of boosters every 6 months is a lot of work.

We need better treatments, because on this basis, it isn't going away through vaccination alone.

10+ Year Old Account
    It still spreads well in a highly vaccinated population.
    Not really, no. It can spread, but not "well".

And there are still questions in most countries over whether to vaccinate children.
    We're still waiting on some studies to finish, but this question will hopefully have a good answer before too much time has passed.

Finally, trying to keep on top of boosters every 6 months is a lot of work.
    We don't need boosters every 6 months. We may not need boosters, period; that remains to be seen. We've covered this before, but antibody levels waning is normal and fine, as long as the memory B- and T-cells continue to do their job.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Not really, no. It can spread, but not "well".

We're still waiting on some studies to finish, but this question will hopefully have a good answer before too much time has passed.

We don't need boosters every 6 months. We may not need boosters, period; that remains to be seen. We've covered this before, but antibody levels waning is normal and fine, as long as the memory B- and T-cells continue to do their job.
    Did you read the articles I linked above, from actual reputable sources?

I’m not speculating, as you are. It’s what Isreal is doing, it’s what the CDC have observed.
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2021-07-30 at 04:49 PM.

Some interesting data between fully vaccinated vs. not fully vaccinated population of SF.

Currently 77% of eligible (12 +) SF residents have received 2 doses. The number is 70% for all residents (including 12 -).

Positivity rate is currently around 12%. Higher than the State. The high positivity rate is attributed to the high testing rate and the City’s high population density (18,000 per square mile). Positivity among fully vaccinated population is 5%. Among not fully vaccinated 4-fold of that.

Number of hospitalized Covid patient 65. Two fully vaccinated. No 12 - in the hospital.

Number of fully vaccinated hospitalized Covid patient per capita is 0.3 per 100,000 of fully vaccinated resident. For not fully vaccinated, the number is 31.8 per 100,000 of not fully vaccinated resident (excluding 12-).

Two Covid-related deaths in July. Both not fully vaccinated.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2021-07-30 at 05:19 PM.