Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It's not, and nobody pretends it is. It's a process, and one that folks like you seem to not understand is supposed to change over time as we learn more about something.
    True, and case in point is that we are currently learning that it may be possible to make an anti-viral pill that works against covid-19.

As I showed in my previous post on that, that doesn't stop the anti-science persons.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and sorry for any misspellings!

I just had corona!

(Yes, the beer.)

Quote Originally Posted by Demasiados View Post
    Thank you for calling all the "The science is settled" poeple out on their bullshit.
    At least you're making it crystal clear you have literally no idea about what you're talking about. Thanks for clearing that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    You have so far provided zero evidence showing that you have been following science.
    I thought science was a process but it turns out its a twitter account...

I heard DJ from Full House say today that she's "not anti vax, she's pro immune system"
    This must be similar.
    You don't trust any experts, regardless of education and instead have thought for yourself and came up with the answer.
    Think about that statement as you evaluate your age and education.

Also, these are weird statements summarized.

I am jaded by experts so therefore I don't trust any of them.

You also said "or science"
    So..

I am jaded by science therefore I don't trust it.

Those were your statements.

Because you've been following them both long enough to know.
    Following experts and science.
    All of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didnt know science was a monolith...and "people like me" were.....
    You didn't understood what i said.... You know how many meds are approved for covid-19 treatment? No? One or 2, and none has a efficiency of more then 30%, if you still didn't understood i will explain, the death rate in ICU is over 60%, once you get in, its more likely you to die then recover. Did you got the point? No? The idiocy of these people is that they don't trust a vaccine that has a efficiency over 80% and can prevent hospitalisations but they trust meds that already existed before covid-19 and haven't specificly produzed for covid-19... That is idiocy on steroids.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought science was a process but it turns out its a twitter account...
    It's telling that you think the only thing one can "follow" is a twitter account.

Explains a lot, really.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hollycakes View Post
    I heard DJ from Full House say today that she's "not anti vax, she's pro immune system"
    *scratches head*

But the vaccine works because of the immune system...

Weird.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Hollycakes View Post
    Well, the best way to help the immune system is to train it for the battle with covid by getting the vaccine.

Even people who are somewhat anti-vaxx like Mayim Bialik gets that point - and will/have vaccinated herself and her children.

lol it also reminds me of the treehouse of horror where they hunt humans and kill Apu and he yells:

Haha you can't kill a Hindu!

They shoot him again and he yells:

Save me Jesus!

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    True that's not good.

But what I find more baffling are the adults now getting vaccinated for the first time in the US and EU (children are still lagging behind in places).

Not because it's bad to get vaccinated, but the fact that they haven't already - as if they ignorant of the ongoing pandemic. As an example I had a meeting during the week with one such man, 50-60 year old, a bit overweight, and when now planning to get it he was clueless about timing of shots etc.
    Probably been living in a cave in the middle of the forest, and just came down the mountain to pick up his annual supplies.

I was listening to Monica Gandhi podcast on the bike ride to Sausalito this morning. She was talking about why CA, NY and CT weathered the summer Delta variant surge better than other states, including those with higher vaccination rates.

It goes back to the concept of supper immunity, which could be obtained from getting Covid followed by vaccination, or from a breakthrough case, and hopefully from booster shot. NY was the hardest hit in US during the summer 2020. CA and CT were hit by an extremely rough during the winter surge. In fact CA was the hardest hit in the US. So all three states had very high seroprevalence at the start of of the vaccination phase.

By February 2021, it is estimated that 38% of CA population had some level of Covid antibody. With a low of 32% in the SF Bay area to a high of 60% in LA County. Vaccine became available for anybody over 16 on April 15 in CA, and for those between 12 – 15 by May 10. Assuming vaccination of those previously infected by Covid followed the general population trend, by June 15, when all pandemic restrictions were lifted in CA, between 25 – 30% of Bay Area and LA County population had achieved supper immunity to Covid. Then Delta hit the US like a sledgehammer.

In summary, when it comes to weathering Delta summer surge, states with high initial seroprevalence + high vaccination >> low initial seroprevalence + high vaccination >>>>>>> everything else.

She estimated that by now around 50% of Bay Area population have supper immunity. She better be right because starting Monday the cruise ships are coming back to San Francisco. Twenty two cruise calls scheduled for the rest of 2021, and a record breaking 227 for 2022. The first ship will be the Grand Princess that made the coronavirus real to millions in the United States when thousands of passengers on were quarantined as the ship idled off the California coast.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2021-10-09 at 09:54 PM.

Its not a hoax but a farce.
    So many false promises, lies, fabrications, redefinitions.
    Not taking it based on the information from the establishment themselves.
    Man what.

This shit is real. I lost family to it.

Its not a hoax but a farce.
    So many false promises, lies, fabrications, redefinitions.
    Not taking it based on the information from the establishment themselves.
    Better keep that same energy and NEVER go to the hospital when you catch Covid.

Quote Originally Posted by starstationprofm View Post
    Man what.

This shit is real. I lost family to it.
    Well, i havent, so...

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Better keep that same energy and NEVER go to the hospital when you catch Covid.
    Imagine going to hospital with flu only to catch covid there.
    Just make sure not to pump you with rendesivir.

Edit: Oh damn, i gave a medical advice
    Last edited by Demasiados; 2021-10-09 at 10:40 PM.

Well, i havent, so...

Imagine going to hospital with flu only to catch covid there.
    Just make sure not to pump you with rendesivir.

Edit: Oh damn, i gave a medical advice
    Wait, you think Covid is the flu? And Remdesivir only improves your chances of surviving by like 20%. Meanwhile the vaccinated aren't the ones dying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    In summary, when it comes to weathering Delta summer surge, states with high initial seroprevalence + high vaccination >> low initial seroprevalence + high vaccination >>>>>>> everything else.
    Just don't get too caught up in seroprevalence. The concept of super-immunity would not require already-prevalent levels of antibodies to trigger. Any substantial level of prior immunity, even if the antibodies had waned enough to not register on a serology test, would likely be enough.

It's better to say that high levels of natural exposure + high vaccination > low levels of natural exposure + high vaccination, regardless of seroprevalence levels at the time of the vaccination.

In fact, in some ways a higher seroprevalence would hamper the creation of this super-immunity, because high levels of antibodies can lead to a person being more likely to completely resist the breakthrough case that would otherwise help trigger the super-immunity. In other words, New York (hit harder in spring 2020) might have had an even better time gaining super-immunity during the delta wave than California (hit harder in winter 2020).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Wait, you think Covid is the flu? And Remdesivir only improves your chances of surviving by like 20%. Meanwhile the vaccinated aren't the ones dying.
    Yeah, the vaccine improves your chances of survival by some 90-95%.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post

Yeah, the vaccine improves your chances of survival by some 90-95%.
    That would be from [REDACTED] s*rv*v*l r*t* to [REDACTED] s*rv*v*l r*t*. With such small difference how do we know it actually works?

Infracted for trolling.
    Last edited by xskarma; 2021-10-10 at 02:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That would be from [REDACTED] s*rv*v*l r*t* to [REDACTED] s*rv*v*l r*t*. With such small difference how do we know it actually works?
    Except... it's no small difference. The fact that you think so is just mindboggling.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

I am not an angry man but reading shit like this after that long a time pandemic is going on... if you're trolling than good job you know how to push my buttons.

If you're not trolling then my condolences on being stupid beyond redemption.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    I am not an angry man but reading shit like this after that long a time pandemic is going on... if you're trolling than good job you know how to push my buttons.

If you're not trolling then my condolences on being stupid beyond redemption.
    Yeah, would be losing my marbles too were i to worry about it this entire time.
    Unfortunatelly, stress h*nd*rs th* *mm*n* s*st*m.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, would be losing my marbles too were i to worry about it this entire time.
    Unfortunatelly, stress h*nd*rs th* *mm*n* s*st*m.
    It's amazing the number of people who equate "sensible precaution" with "losing your marbles" while they profess to not be worried about it right up until the time when they die gasping in an ICU bed.

And FYI, not having a vaccine hinders your immune system immensely more than stress.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Well, i havent, so...
    Oh I see, so you're one of those "Fuck you, I got mine" people. Why didn't you just say so?
    “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” -- Donald J. Trump, 2013

"I don't take responsibility at all."
    -- Donald J. Trump, 2020