View Poll Results: Must WoW go Fully PG to continue to Thrive?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    2 4.26%
  • No

    45 95.74%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I never quite understood the functional difference between PG and PG-13 in American MPAA ratings, so difficult to say really.
    PG-13 basically means no nudity or blood. Suggestions of sex are allowed but not actual sex, and you can have violence but it can't be graphic. PG is both things tuned down - violence is mostly just funny things and no sex, just kissing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Metallourlante View Post
    It's not supposed to be fun, we are not in 2009. It's supposed to be frustrating and keep you hooked longer.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    PG-13 basically means no nudity or blood. Suggestions of sex are allowed but not actual sex, and you can have violence but it can't be graphic. PG is both things tuned down - violence is mostly just funny things and no sex, just kissing.
    Not entirely true.

    PG-13 from experience can have: Mild amounts of blood, generally no gore; One scene of exposed breast or nipple, but not extended shots; one use of the word "fuck" or similar.

    PG can also have implied sex or motions of sex but no nudity.

  3. #23
    The Insane Granyala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arkon-III
    Posts
    18,487
    That would be a definite no, MMOs are not for 8 year olds.
    The community factor alone sees to that.

    You can control your content but you can't really control the community, so 12 and above makes sense.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Movies labeled PG 13 are not considered suitable for children under 13. PG still suggests parental guidance, PG 13 suggests the film is appropriate for individuals over that age. It might have some low level swearing and young adult themes like raunchy teen-level dating (like Breakfast Club.) Meanwhile, PG is probably just regular PG violence like dinosaurs tearing people apart, something that might frighten children younger than 13.
    Many, many parents ignore that in practice. All the Marvel movies are PG-13 and tons of kids watch them. Generally, R rating is the one that stops people from seeing a movie, and very few movies are rated R. There used to be a fair amount of R rated action movies but they've managed to turn them PG by toning down the graphic violence. People still get shot and killed all the time but there's no blood and it's often with funky weapons that don't show real damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Metallourlante View Post
    It's not supposed to be fun, we are not in 2009. It's supposed to be frustrating and keep you hooked longer.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    That would be a definite no, MMOs are not for 8 year olds.
    The community factor alone sees to that.

    You can control your content but you can't really control the community, so 12 and above makes sense.
    Well, that's why online games have the warning "online experience not rated by the ESRB" or whatever, you can't control what people say online and rate it, or every game would be rated AO if had online lol.

  6. #26
    IIRC an online game with voice chat functionality cannot have an age recomendation lower than 12+.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Arakakao View Post
    IIRC an online game with voice chat functionality cannot have an age recomendation lower than 12+.
    Honestly haven't dug that deep into it, but it's probably true.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Many, many parents ignore that in practice. All the Marvel movies are PG-13 and tons of kids watch them. Generally, R rating is the one that stops people from seeing a movie, and very few movies are rated R. There used to be a fair amount of R rated action movies but they've managed to turn them PG by toning down the graphic violence. People still get shot and killed all the time but there's no blood and it's often with funky weapons that don't show real damage.
    Oh yeah, I know, those ratings are just rough guidelines and parents more or less don't really care, especially when they're accompanying them. Movie studios find ways to circumvent certain ratings to fill a movie theater (looking at you, Alien vs. Predator), but in certain scenarios, PG 13 is useful. I wouldn't want my 8 year-old watching The Breakfast Club for example, even though he might want to because it's the cool thing to do or he's legit curious, but I wouldn't be comfortable with him watching content that is otherwise targeted for young adults or teenagers. Meanwhile, most action movies from the 90's like Lethal Weapon or Die Hard which had gratuitous over the top violence and sailor level swearing I'd be fine with. Not all PG 13 movies are made equal, some could pass for just PG, but some content from PG 13 that might deal with teen sex, drugs, depression, suicide, or other things kids have never heard or know about, that's where that rating becomes handy.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Oh yeah, I know, those ratings are just rough guidelines and parents more or less don't really care, especially when they're accompanying them. Movie studios find ways to circumvent certain ratings to fill a movie theater (looking at you, Alien vs. Predator), but in certain scenarios, PG 13 is useful. I wouldn't want my 8 year-old watching The Breakfast Club for example, even though he might want to because it's the cool thing to do or he's legit curious, but I wouldn't be comfortable with him watching content that is otherwise targeted for young adults or teenagers. Meanwhile, most action movies from the 90's like Lethal Weapon or Die Hard which had gratuitous over the top violence and sailor level swearing I'd be fine with. Not all PG 13 movies are made equal, some could pass for just PG, but some content from PG 13 that might deal with teen sex, drugs, depression, suicide, or other things kids have never heard or know about, that's where that rating becomes handy.
    You make a point that a lot of people don't get. Age based rating systems only go so far, its up to the maturity of the person as to what they can handle. Hell... there's adults out there not mature or mentally stable enough to watch an R rated movie.

    It's basically saying your kid is mature enough to understand the violence is fake and that swearing is not something you do, but not mature enough to understand the deeper meanings of the darker things you mentioned like depression and suicide.

  10. #30
    Over 9000! Mirishka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Get off my lawn!
    Posts
    9,432
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I never quite understood the functional difference between PG and PG-13 in American MPAA ratings, so difficult to say really.
    Stuff that was PG in the 80's would be pushing PG-13 to its limits today.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Stuff that was PG in the 80's would be pushing PG-13 to its limits today.
    Pretty sure Logan's run has full frontal and it's rated PG lol.

  12. #32
    I need a double take to make sure this didn't say "RPG" instead.

    Cause a more cohesive and better told in-game story would benefit WoW. As well as less random / unstable class design. BFA suffered terribly for the changes made to move away from Legion. And class order halls were so much better than the war campaign.

    ESRB rating for WoW, the "maturity" of its content means little. It is the quality that is lacking.

  13. #33
    That would require them to censor some Forsaken parts first.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I never quite understood the functional difference between PG and PG-13 in American MPAA ratings, so difficult to say really.
    You would have to google it for best explanation, but all it boils down to is what you can say, how much you can say it. It also takes into account how much hate skin is shown in what context.
    I’m not saying I agree with it or it’s a great system, but that’s all there really is to it.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    You make a point that a lot of people don't get. Age based rating systems only go so far, its up to the maturity of the person as to what they can handle. Hell... there's adults out there not mature or mentally stable enough to watch an R rated movie.

    It's basically saying your kid is mature enough to understand the violence is fake and that swearing is not something you do, but not mature enough to understand the deeper meanings of the darker things you mentioned like depression and suicide.
    Exactly. It's just a red flag the parent should choose to take a deeper look into before approving whether they feel it's truly appropriate, and I appreciate age based ratings for that very reason. They're not a mandate, just a stop sign or a red flag, take a closer look and examine.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Stuff that was PG in the 80's would be pushing PG-13 to its limits today.
    Stuff that was PG in the 80’s would be rated R in some cases.

  17. #37
    "the portrayal of the story, the direction of it and even the character development have been increasingly more kid-friendly."

    "Perhaps one or two had died quickly. The rest had been helpless—in pain, but alive. And only then had the killing truly begun. These Horde soldiers had not died in a flash of fire—they had burned slowly, in agony, screaming. The night elves had done everything they could to prolong the horror, to maximize the pain."

    "They had used their power not to win a battle or buy time for their people’s evacuation, but to inflict pain and nothing else. Their fury had stripped away every civilized pretense, every semblance of honor, and they had shown who they truly were.
    That was what war did. That was what it was for: to give civilized beings permission to do the unthinkable. Only then could you achieve the impossible."

    -Sylvanas musing over the mountain of corpses she was creating in A Good War.

    Yeah could totally see this one being read to my nephew like an episode of My Little Pony.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daevelian View Post
    So this is how far the Lore forum has fallen? Eesh.
    I take it back, BfA is not the lowest the games lore could have gone, this thread proves that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    And just like the thread before it, let's back away from sexualizing Azshara and return to the original topic at hand.

  18. #38
    Moderator Aucald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA-US
    Posts
    25,622
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Stuff that was PG in the 80's would be pushing PG-13 to its limits today.
    That's likely the origin of my confusion - I'm 40 years old, so when I think of "PG" movies I think of them from the 80's and 90's.
    "I remember what I told you, but I can't remember why. The moon is turning red and bleeding through the sky. Absolution, redemption, salvation at the end - when justice is served don't expect me to attend." - Trust Obey, "Raymond Chandler Evening"

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    That's likely the origin of my confusion - I'm 40 years old, so when I think of "PG" movies I think of them from the 80's and 90's.
    Basically every big movie now is PG-13 unless it is about explicit sex or is a Tarantino movie. Generally the uptick in interest from a certain demographic if you make it super explicit doesn’t counteract the massive loss from eliminating the teenage audience, particularly now that porn is everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Metallourlante View Post
    It's not supposed to be fun, we are not in 2009. It's supposed to be frustrating and keep you hooked longer.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by WraithKingOstarion View Post
    now personally I do --not-- think Blizz needs to make WoW go full "PG" and they can afford to still cater to a more mature demographic of players ... yet it just feels like that is the ultimate direction of to take the game the other way.
    Or the people who wants a more mature theme game choose a more mature theme game. Just as they can choose a more mature theme TV show.

    Making it more mature does not necessary make it better. Seeing more gore does not make it better. And hearing characters using more mature language could make the character into a different character and no longer associated with the old one.

    Just my opinion anyway.

    If I want to watch blood splatter, I find a gore movie. If I want to watch porn, I find a porn. I do not necessary want to see my favorite sci fi show suddenly have people swearing or doing the naughty in their rooms. Yes, there are parody of that, I know and I would watch that IF I wanted to see such things.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •