Page 1 of 3
LastLast

The War Campaign conclusions alrady seems pointless

I just did it again on another character, now post blizzcon, it just seems completely meaningless. They talk about breaking the cycle, of peace, but we know it's going to mean nothing.

The stories are a waste of time, they never follow through on big changes. Last blizzcon it was gong to be a Kalimdor horde and Alliance eastern kingdom, pfft, rubbish, now they do an entire war campaign that ends in another "fight together and cooperate", but nothing in -game about the way the factions might work changes, the lore doesn't even create noticeable difference that might warn of peace.. instead we get Tyrande huffing and puffing off providing the perfect excuse for yet again more conflict.

This just makes the entire war campaign conclusion pointless becuae it speaks of peace and the end to the faction conflict, which clearly doesn't end.

10+ Year Old Account
    Welcome to what literally everyone was saying when Blizz made such a big deal about breaking the cycle and finding a new path forward in 8.2.5 story content. Nobody's fooled, we all know they'll pull the stupidest reason they can think of to reignite the faction war in the next expansion or two when they run out of ideas and need some cheap fodder to get a pop from the crowd at Blizzcon, while the writers grabass over how clever and subversive they are.

edit/addition: This is exactly why people are getting burned out on faction war plots. It's a marathon run at sprinting speeds that proceeds to go absolutely nowhere. The same four storylines are recycled with new character models and different text hovering over their heads. At least meaningful progress could be charted against the Scourge and Burning Legion.
    Last edited by Thage; 2020-01-20 at 09:35 PM.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    Welcome to what literally everyone was saying when Blizz made such a big deal about breaking the cycle and finding a new path forward in 8.2.5 story content. Nobody's fooled, we all know they'll pull the stupidest reason they can think of to reignite the faction war in the next expansion or two when they run out of ideas and need some cheap fodder to get a pop from the crowd at Blizzcon, while the writers grabass over how clever and subversive they are.

edit/addition: This is exactly why people are getting burned out on faction war plots. It's a marathon run at sprinting speeds that proceeds to go absolutely nowhere. The same four storylines are recycled with new character models and different text hovering over their heads. At least meaningful progress could be charted against the Scourge and Burning Legion.
    I agree pretty much with all of this. The game works better when there's some big, bad thing to take care of (eventually). This 'endless war' stuff is tiresome and at this point has a mild, if perhaps unconscious, resonance with real life. Frankly, they would do better and have more interesting options if they must keep everyone soaked in battle to end the faction war entirely and let the various races go off to make problems for each other. I imagine Tauren have some grievances with orcs and it's no special secret that Draenei have issues with nearly everyone else.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    I just did it again on another character, now post blizzcon, it just seems completely meaningless. They talk about breaking the cycle, of peace, but we know it's going to mean nothing.

The stories are a waste of time, they never follow through on big changes. Last blizzcon it was gong to be a Kalimdor horde and Alliance eastern kingdom, pfft, rubbish, now they do an entire war campaign that ends in another "fight together and cooperate", but nothing in -game about the way the factions might work changes, the lore doesn't even create noticeable difference that might warn of peace.. instead we get Tyrande huffing and puffing off providing the perfect excuse for yet again more conflict.

This just makes the entire war campaign conclusion pointless becuae it speaks of peace and the end to the faction conflict, which clearly doesn't end.
    This game and mostly it's narrative aspects will only get interesting when factions get deleted.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah it's no wonder it's been a struggle to finish that campaign, I'll eventually get around to it for the ap...

It was all just a really bad lead in to Shadowlands.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't say pointless so much as, and this is a feeling I was afraid of as soon as "Shadowlands as Continent" started going around, it feels like all Azeroth-based storylines are suddenly on pause for two years while we go to a magic other dimension only we can go to.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

How can it be pointless when it literally leads directly to the Shadowlands story?

In before the usual but but but it is not Warcraft without Alliance and Horde.

This is like a hamster wheel, you always get to the same point, it is always the status fucking quo. Blizzard cannot and will not break away from the old, well greased (but still creaking) system of two factions vs one another. There always will be some kind of war because reasons. It is tiring. Characters in universe are mostly morons who let the same shit start again.
    Maybe, maybe in the far future there will be a third faction, but all I want and what would be enough is no more open warfare outside of local skirmishes (because there is always some idiot) and raiding together. Thats it. Do not even have to make the opposing faction cities friendly, leave them like they are. Just let us cooperate and have pvp in battlegrounds (which are stuck in time lorewise anyway) and, finally, make new baddies for us to fight against. In face of cosmic level threat I really dont want to see another moron starting war against the only other effective force in dealing with said baddies on the whole of Azeroth.
    P.S.
    They also totally (as predicted) failed to keep any mystery as to who burned what. People said Horde/Sylvanas, it was Horde/Sylvanas. Gee, what a twist, totallly unexpected, mah moral greyness...

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    How can it be pointless when it literally leads directly to the Shadowlands story?
    Many people were, for some reason, under the impression that Alliance and Horde making peace means that playable factions will disappear from the game and we will all just play together. Somehow this became a popular belief which further made more people believe it. Of course it didn't happen, so now all these people are disappointed.

The faction war is pointless. Its a game suffering from apocalypse fatigue and all they can think to do between world ending big bads -but this ones really gonna do it, we swear 14th times the charm!- they just throw the factions at each other.

Remember for like two weeks they said all of the diminished resources was going to be a major hook? Yeah that went the way of mortally grey didn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    Sounds just like real life. People constantly talking about peace, but someone decides they want to be an ass.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    In before the usual but but but it is not Warcraft without Alliance and Horde.

This is like a hamster wheel, you always get to the same point, it is always the status fucking quo. Blizzard cannot and will not break away from the old, well greased (but still creaking) system of two factions vs one another. There always will be some kind of war because reasons. It is tiring. Characters in universe are mostly morons who let the same shit start again.
    Maybe, maybe in the far future there will be a third faction, but all I want and what would be enough is no more open warfare outside of local skirmishes (because there is always some idiot) and raiding together. Thats it. Do not even have to make the opposing faction cities friendly, leave them like they are. Just let us cooperate and have pvp in battlegrounds (which are stuck in time lorewise anyway) and, finally, make new baddies for us to fight against. In face of cosmic level threat I really dont want to see another moron starting war against the only other effective force in dealing with said baddies on the whole of Azeroth.
    P.S.
    They also totally (as predicted) failed to keep any mystery as to who burned what. People said Horde/Sylvanas, it was Horde/Sylvanas. Gee, what a twist, totallly unexpected, mah moral greyness...
    The grey I think was referring to the Horde who didn't like what she did/didn't want to stand beside her after what she did. It wasn't as simple as 'Alliance good, Horde evil!' and therein lies the grey.

Don't get me wrong, the story disappointed me too, but in terms of things not being black and white - they weren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    Many people were, for some reason, under the impression that Alliance and Horde making peace means that playable factions will disappear from the game and we will all just play together. Somehow this became a popular belief which further made more people believe it. Of course it didn't happen, so now all these people are disappointed.
    That's how it always happens. They create things in their mind, become super excited about it, and then start screaming how much blizzard sucks when it doesnt happen.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    The faction war is pointless. Its a game suffering from apocalypse fatigue and all they can think to do between world ending big bads -but this ones really gonna do it, we swear 14th times the charm!- they just throw the factions at each other.
    Is this really surprising? We have the exact same situation in the real world, only instead of old gods and cosmic demons we have poverty, famine, climate catastrophe etc. Instead of taking care of those things people are waging wars because someone made a joke about someone else's favorite made up character or because they need to improve their ratings before the next election.

The story of faction conflict is kind of the most realistic part of this game

I have just finished where lilian calls you to trisfal glades and you meet calia and derek. Then some retarded chat and boom some night elves appear and they go off with calia. and we have undead wardens, other nightelves too stills ticking with us? then lilian says we will meet again.

like what the fuck is happening. that is it?

For me it’s not so much that the factions are at war, but rather that they make entire expansions focusing on it. It was better before Cata/Wrathgate, the factions didn’t get along and it more of a Cold War situation with some open skirmishes. But full content devoting to faction wars? Meh. Boring.
    'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

Quote Originally Posted by CrawlFromThePit View Post
    This game and mostly it's narrative aspects will only get interesting when factions get deleted.
    Faction conflict when it was race vs race in a limited context like orcs needing trees in WSG, resources in arathi basin, native lands of the tauren vs artifact hunting dwarves, etc. Making it just red vs blue is just way too simplified and leads to horrible storytelling. Nightborne should have just stayed on the broken isles and tried to rebuild while maintaining trade with both factions. Maybe have chosen heroes that choose where they want to go to explore the outside world, but not have the entire race choose a side.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2020-01-21 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post

Say what you will about the old story lines like Green Jesus Thrall and Villian Illidan but at least they weren't as bad as the shit we get now.

The story in BfA seems utterly pointless. The faction conflict wrapped up in 8.2.5 and we became "friends" again but there is no gameplay or story change to reflect this. Then I log in for 8.3, do a few ridiculous quests and I all of a sudden have a "Kill N'zoth" quest. Under 2 hours.

Some part of me hopes Shadowlands is a reset.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    Is this really surprising? We have the exact same situation in the real world, only instead of old gods and cosmic demons we have poverty, famine, climate catastrophe etc. Instead of taking care of those things people are waging wars because someone made a joke about someone else's favorite made up character or because they need to improve their ratings before the next election.

The story of faction conflict is kind of the most realistic part of this game
    We haven't just fought off a onslaught of demons and an analogue to satan though. You would think that would add a moment of perspective.