Battle Shaman, how the hell did things get this bad?

I'll be honest I haven't played a Shaman seriously since Legion but I could already see the issues with throughput even back then but I still felt like the spec had a place in a raid for other than its CDs. Now Restoration for Ny'alotha is a contender to be brought in but only as a DPS healer that is only there for the cooldowns. I'm sorry but wtf I've always known the mastery to be a completely pos but this is insane, no healer should only be brought for just the CDs ever and to be relegated to just DPS is insane.

How the hell is Resto Shaman meant to come back from this, the spec is going to need a complete rebuild before Shadowlands.
    Last edited by PhilUK; 2020-01-21 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilUK View Post
    I'll be honest I haven't played a Shaman seriously since Legion but I could already see the issues with throughput even back then but I still felt like the spec had a place in a raid for other than its CDs. Now Restoration for Ny'alotha is a contender to be brought in but only as a DPS healer that is only there for the cooldowns. I'm sorry but wtf I've always known the mastery to be a completely pos but this is insane, no healer should only be brought for just the CDs ever and to be relegated to just DPS is insane.

How the hell is Resto Shaman meant to come back from this, the spec is going to need a complete rebuild before Shadowlands.
    Even for Mythic Jaina, I went resto and just dpsed the entire time. The only healing role thing I did was dispel and drop totems when I was told to.

Mechagnome
    While it wouldn't be compelling gameplay, all they need to do to make Resto Shamans sought after for raids is to buff their group healing (especially Healing Rain) and make fights where you should group up in a big pile and take massive group healing. Like quite a few in Throne of Thunder, and like Gorefiend in HFC. Then the correct start would be to bunch up in the Rain, let the raids' health get low and the Resto pops a CD and brings them all back up using the insane throughput their CDs and Mastery give when everyone is low. Then the Shaman goes back to being rubbish and the other healers get back to work.

A less extreme version of this would give the Shamans a healing role without relying entirely on their mastery and CDs.

The problem isn't the Mastery in and of itself. It's that the devs seem to have completely given up on challenging healer's mana in a way that allows you to trade the raid's overall health levels for mana, so letting the raid get low so that the Shaman can efficiently heal them is both pointless and dangerous. So either raid design needs to change or the mastery does. The thing is, one needs to be careful what you wish for - what you want in a new Mastery and what Blizzard gives you are likely to be quite different things. I'm pretty sure no Paladin at the time wanted what they have now.

Player perception, and idiotic guides ("What Healer you SHOULD play in Ny'alotha") are the biggest problem, not the shaman. Even utility aside, so far I'm ahead of every single other healer on almost every single fight (with exception of holy pala, haven't played with one in raid so far). A lot of Ny'alotha fights have raid stacked for parts of the fight, or even entire fight, and you can REALLY shine there with a sham. But that would require people to stop listening to guides, and actually play the class.

The only problem I have with rsham is lack of strong tank cd, but other than that...it's really nowhere near as bad as idiotic guides like to tell the crowd. Not in terms of numbers, and certainly not in terms of utility.
    If the future is female...get ready for apocalypse.

Is this actually a real problem? I think its good gameplay to have healers/tanks being able to trade their primary utility for dps if they are fulfilling their job well enough.
    In fact i think this should be expanded on if anything since it loosens up encounter design, raises skill cap and promotes dynamic decision making.

Method came out with a video for mythic progression and said Resto is the 3rd best healer overall and in hps.

Also said that player skill matters more than the class.

Sounds like it’s a you problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Nfinitii View Post
    Method came out with a video for mythic progression and said Resto is the 3rd best healer overall and in hps.

Also said that player skill matters more than the class.

Sounds like it’s a you problem.

Also Method in previously patches brings shamans only for spirit link totem...