Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

N'zoth, the most influential old god?

With the old god's they've been part of the Warcraft lore for some time now. I don't know if there was anything in the first and second Warcraft games but I'm certain their presence started in wc3 for sure, in the background to everything else.

When it comes to it, while n'zoth has been regarded as the weakest of the old god's (I can't help but think they've only said this because seeing his full power unleashed gives a stark outlook on how powerful the other 3 were at full power), regardless, he has been the most influential when it's come to wow lore.

He was the one that created the emerald nightmare. He also was the one that drew in azshara and created the Naga. He joined the others in corrupting deathwing, and he was the old god that after yogg and c'thuns defeat pushed deathwing into attacking azeroth in cataclysm, as well as being the one who commanded ragnaros and al'akir still in that time.

The others might have been more powerful, but just in terms of his influence on the suffering his actions has brought to the mortal races of azeroth, his one seems the most personal. Which makes fighting him seem to be settling a score.
    #boycottchina

At this point he's the chumpiest and most disrespected Old God.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Yogg'Saron created the Emerald Nightmare. N'zoth just had more opportunity to work with it.
    Actually, yogg opened the way for the old god's to enter the dream, but it was n'zoths corruption that infected it.

I mean he is called the corruptor after all.
    Last edited by Trassk; 2020-01-21 at 10:24 PM.
    #boycottchina

I'm sad we ended him, really. I was kinda hoping there was more of a door open for him having been put on ice, like Sargeras was. Like maybe getting sucked into Xal'atath's blade. I'm still quite open to him having had some sort of back-up plan to survive, mind you. But destroying him in his own realm seems quite definitive.

But yeah, he was the most interesting of the Old Gods to me. I'm a little sad that he didn't get to shine, and was sold as a Horde vs Alliance expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    I'm sad we ended him, really. I was kinda hoping there was more of a door open for him having been put on ice, like Sargeras was. Like maybe getting sucked into Xal'atath's blade. I'm still quite open to him having had some sort of back-up plan to survive, mind you. But destroying him in his own realm seems quite definitive.

But yeah, he was the most interesting of the Old Gods to me. I'm a little sad that he didn't get to shine, and was sold as a Horde vs Alliance expansion.
    Honestly, they should've left his major debut until after Shadowlands.

He should've been in BfA, but he should just be making deals, maybe as an avatar, trying to spur the players to do things that benefit us and him, like killing the Jailer.

And then when all his obstacles are out of the way, he emerges. At the very least for more than a single patch that doesn't even have a new world quest zone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Honestly, they should've left his major debut until after Shadowlands.

He should've been in BfA, but he should just be making deals, maybe as an avatar, trying to spur the players to do things that benefit us and him, like killing the Jailer.

And then when all his obstacles are out of the way, he emerges. At the very least for more than a single patch that doesn't even have a new world quest zone.
    I'd have been for that, have a villains thats been influencing things in the background for years have a major standing over 2 expansions, building to a climatic ending. This would really have built him up as a massive threat more then others like deathwing or arthas, as in villains that first appear and die in the same expansion.

This is why I hope they make sylvanas the final boss in shadowlands, she's been built up as a villain to many over this and the last expansion, and now she's turned on everyone, this would be a better method of how to make for a satisfying conclusion.
    #boycottchina

I got that too. Azshara outsmarted him and made him her bitch. He was the runt during The Black Empire for good reason.

They all suck. They are just cancer growths that want to corrupt everything. I'm glad we are done with them.

Quote Originally Posted by MyWholeLifeIsThunder View Post
    They all suck. They are just cancer growths that want to corrupt everything. I'm glad we are done with them.
    What are you hyped for? Screamy elf lady and her whacky genocidal shenanigans? Ambiguously Titany looking guy that was ripped from ass specially for Shadowlands?

Void Lords? Which are just a result of Old Gods being Dragon Ball Z'ed?

What are you hyped for? Screamy elf lady and her whacky genocidal shenanigans? Ambiguously Titany looking guy that was ripped from ass specially for Shadowlands?

Void Lords? Which are just a result of Old Gods being Dragon Ball Z'ed?
    At least a stroll through the afterlife/purgatory is a far more inherently entertaining premise than "planet cancer"

And yeah, it's really hard to find the old gods interesting when he have been know for a while they are simply parasites created BY the Void Lords. Nothing of value was lost, just the des ex machina that makes people go mad when needed.

At least a stroll through the afterlife/purgatory is a far more inherently entertaining premise than "planet cancer"

And yeah, it's really hard to find the old gods interesting when he have been know for a while they are simply parasites created BY the Void Lords. Nothing of value was lost, just the des ex machina that makes people go mad when needed.
    Ah yes I can't wait for Shadowmoon Valley with a bit of Spires of Arak, Mac'Aree with a bit of Halls of Valor and Eastern Plaguelands HD. (Actually I am kinda looking forward to seeing EPL in HD)

Ah yes I can't wait for Shadowmoon Valley with a bit of Spires of Arak, Mac'Aree with a bit of Halls of Valor and Eastern Plaguelands HD. (Actually I am kinda looking forward to seeing EPL in HD)
    Do you realize I'm talking about themes, right?

C'thun basically appeared and fell over without doing anything. Few whispers in AQ and nothing Cinematic wise.

Yogg'saron had a death gloat and that's it.

N'zoth gets essentially 2 expansions based on his work (deathwing was nothing more than his pawn so cataclysm was basically nzoths expansion too.). Multiple Cinematics including being the second protagonist of azshara's warbringers and he's the chump of the three.

Yeah the final Cinematic is a bit meh but out of the three in game he was the least of the chumps.

Do you realize I'm talking about themes, right?
    You know aesthetic and theme are closely linked, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    C'thun basically appeared and fell over without doing anything. Few whispers in AQ and nothing Cinematic wise.

Yogg'saron had a death gloat and that's it.

N'zoth gets essentially 2 expansions based on his work (deathwing was nothing more than his pawn so cataclysm was basically nzoths expansion too.). Multiple Cinematics including being the second protagonist of azshara's warbringers and he's the chump of the three.

Yeah the final Cinematic is a bit meh but out of the three in game he was the least of the chumps.
    Neither of them were sold as fully unleashed Old Gods. N'Zoth was.

In the story of World of Warcraft, he was the most influential Old God by far:

- C'Thun: did not influence anyone and was defeated in Classic.
    - Yogg-Saron: influenced the titan keeper and was defeated in WotLK.
    - Y'Shaarj: the last vestige of his power attempted to control Garrosh, he was finally destroyed in MoP.
    - N'Zoth: corrupted Deathwing and started the Cataclysm, used Xavius in Legion, and attempted to reshape the world in his image in BfA (that was also the greatest Old God invasion we have seen in the game).

This changes if you want to consider the lore too, so all the material before the storyline. But in World of Warcraft, N'Zoth was the most influential without a doubt.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

when you are the weakest. Manipulation and corruption tend to be the better bet.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

N'zoth simply used the plots open by the other Old Gods, especially by Yogg.

Lets see what Yogg did:

- Created the Curse of Flesh
    - Corrupted Loken, which led to the death of Tyr and exile of Ra
    - Tricked Helya on locking Odyn
    - Planted the Seed of the Emerald Nightmare

The only true doing by N'zoth was Azshara and the Naga. Even Deathwing was just the continuation of the old corruption.

You know aesthetic and theme are closely linked, right?
    I don't think "looks like X, must be X" is as compelling an argument as you think it is. Considering we are talking not about mortal realms, but the afterlife, to say the aesthetic similarity -as subjective as that is- means its thematics would be similar, is frankly, ridiculous.

I'd just like to have a clear explanation about this Ny'alotha nonsense (pocket reality).

Why is only N'zoth able to physically be somewhere else ?
    Why/How was N'zoth imprisoned on Azeroth if he was belonging to Ny'alotha ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Nzoth is some how the most successful and biggest failure at the same time. Bravo Blizz you fucked it up again.