Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Should goblins, gnomes, pandas and dwarves have ever been core races?

Many times I've seen a lot of arguing over less popular races getting added and people claiming they take up an allied race slot or something like that. Mechagnomes are one of the big ones. However this raises an interesting question. What about the less popular core races we have right now? Lets think about it.

1. What if we got ogres instead of goblins?
    2. What if instead of gnomes we got etherals?
    3. What if we got dragon people instead of dwarves?
    4. What if we got Abominations instead of pandas?

These are just a few examples. One could argue for just about every race there would be a much more popular alternative that would be more widely desired. Of course should we always appease to the majority?

Dwarves? Absolutely. It's 101 of fantasy cliches.
    Gnomes? Could have gone without them but they are a nice counterbalance to the overly stoic races of Alliance.
    Goblins? A logical conclusion, everyone since TBC was expecting them.
    Pandas? No. I don't hate them, I have several Pandaren alts. But WoW could have gone without them.

The option you imagine would be more like Conan the Barbarian type of world than semi-high fantasy.

1. A race whose only distinguishing features are "fat and stupid." Never appealed to me.
    2. Maybe but I feel like, like mechagnomes, they'd look terrible in armor.
    3. "Dragon people"? What are you even referring to? Drakonids?
    4. Hell to the no. Though I do want a photoshop of an Abomination in BC leveling gear, that'd look hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering dwarfs and goblins are basically part of any fantasy, yes.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

dwarves are one piece of the "holy trinity" of fantasy races (the other 2 being humans and elves)

Are goblins a "core race"? Less than 1 in 100 people play as one at 120...

The fact that you included dwarves (a main fantasy race, huge in warcraft previous releases) with goblins, pandas and gnomes is odd :P

i think the biggest mistake people do in these topics is thinking that every new race have to be loved by the majority else it's not worth adding.
    if that was to be the case we'd be on elf race nr 20+ by now.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pandaren are pretty much my favorite race so yeah I'm glad they're in.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

I'll give my opinion about those you referred and some more

Dwarves are good, they were in wc3 and they are very characteristic, gnomes on the other hand, the game would have been better without them.

The draenei I believe were a good addition, even considering the "recon".

On the horde side, I believe the blood elves were actually an interesting addition to the horde, to give a different approach to the elven culture, a more pragmatic culture. The goblins are an abomination, no goblin worth their gold would join a faction, why join one of them when you can contract with both? Ridiculous, they want money, not to fight.

Races that weren't added but should have: furbolgs and ogres.

Allied races

Instead of coming up with races that never existed before such as void elves I would have done the broken as void-race and high elves lightforged if you really need to lightforge, though it would be better not to.

Kul tirans are nice, it was a good idea to make them different, dark irons are awesome and mechagnomes are meh.

On the horde side, zandalari are awesome, mag har are kinda meh, maybe make them the only orcs with straight backs? People probably wouldn't like that. Highmountain are meh, they could be more different, maybe like the tauren from pandaria?

Nightborne are awesome, maybe a bit too culturally similar to blood elves, but otherwise awesome. The vulpera are just awful, but gilgoblins would be even worse so...

Pandas... I don't like them, but they could have been nice, if things were done properly

Quote Originally Posted by powerogue View Post
    1. A race whose only distinguishing features are "fat and stupid." never appealed to me.
    ME SQUASH YOU

Ogre race strongest, make you squeal for mercy. For the second horde!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RayoftheSun View Post
    Many times I've seen a lot of arguing over less popular races getting added and people claiming they take up an allied race slot or something like that. Mechagnomes are one of the big ones. However this raises an interesting question. What about the less popular core races we have right now? Lets think about it.

1. What if we got ogres instead of goblins?
    2. What if instead of gnomes we got etherals?
    3. What if we got dragon people instead of dwarves?
    4. What if we got Abominations instead of pandas?

These are just a few examples. One could argue for just about every race there would be a much more popular alternative that would be more widely desired. Of course should we always appease to the majority?
    Pointless discussion to have. We have the races and they aren't going anywhere regardless of how the edgy forum-goers feel about them.

/thread

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Icon View Post
    i think the biggest mistake people do in these topics is thinking that every new race have to be loved by the majority else it's not worth adding.
    Pretty much this.

By the logic of dumb-ass topics like this one, we'd all be playing World of Bloodelfcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Icon View Post
    There is a balance to be struck here. Not every race needs to be an elf race and thank God for that, even as a night elf fan.

But races are created to appeal to players. They aren't just there to be there.

7+ Year Old Account
    You'll never take my dwarves away
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

I included it because its one of the least played races and people could be like"We could have got something better as opposed to this".

Sort of.. pandas should never have happened. Gnomes.. eh, I don't like them and they weren't even in earlier Warcraft games but whatever.

It should have been

Alliance - Classic fantasy races
    Humans
    Dwarves
    Elves (High and Night)
    Draenei

Horde - Classic evil races
    Orcs
    Goblins
    Cows
    Worgen
    Undead

and then maybe gnomes added to alliance and ogres to horde in an expansion

Quote Originally Posted by Amarys View Post
    Gnomes.. eh, I don't like them and they weren't even in earlier Warcraft games
    You sure about that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

7+ Year Old Account
    Since goblins are the best race ever i would say yes they should be a core race.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    There is a balance to be struck here. Not every race needs to be an elf race and thank God for that, even as a night elf fan.

But races are created to appeal to players. They aren't just there to be there.
    And they all do. Every race in the game gets play, every race is the game is dear to someone out there. Just like you love night elves, I love gnomes (and Draenei). Just as I love gnomes, I have friends who adore goblins. There are people who only play dwarves, and there are people who were literally counting the days for KT humans and Zandalari.

So it is utter stupidity to suggest that we get rid of anything the 'majority' doesn't use. Just because some races don't have the numbers that Blood elves or humans have, doesn't mean they aren't valid races.

And besides, as I've already said, this is a pointless conversation to have. We have the races, there is literally 0% chance of them going anywhere, Blizz is never going to publish patch notes that say "Goblins have been removed from the game and replaced with ogres, and dwarves have been replaced with Ethereals."

So any conversation about 'shuld blizz haff replace dis race wiff dis one??' couldn't be a bigger waste of time if it tried.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Amarys View Post
    Sort of.. pandas should never have happened. Gnomes.. eh, I don't like them and they weren't even in earlier Warcraft games but whatever.
    You should try knowing what you're talking about sometime, its pretty useful.

Dispite creating this topic, I couldn't agree more. I wouldn't enjoy this game as much if goblins weren't playable.
    Last edited by RayoftheSun; 2020-01-22 at 08:34 PM.