Thread: Corrupted Gear

10+ Year Old Account

Corrupted Gear

Hey all,

I'm sorry if this has been answered/talked about somewhere but I couldn't find it.

How am I suppose to use a corrupted weapon with +75 corruption? My cloak gives me 27 resistance right now plus 3 essences (30), that's still only 57 corruption resistance total. Am I suppose to just wait months for my cloak to upgrade higher - and even then will I only be able to use one corrupted item?

Thanks for any help

You either adapt to the corruption effects (was it +60 that magnifies damage taken and reduces healing taken?) or you purge the corruption from the weapon.

Maybe cleanse it off, the weapons have good ilvl but ( the dps provided by the weapon / 75 corruption ) is probably not a good ratio?

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

you dont need as much resistance as you do corruption it just has side effects the more you have. As you level up your cloak you will get more resistance

You can pretty safely play with <40 Corruption. Just don't go over the breakpoint where you start to get Jihad'd by the spooky dudes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wouldn't the movement speed slow be very dangerous in raids and mythic + is what I'm thinking though

Quote Originally Posted by xeddin View Post
    Wouldn't the movement speed slow be very dangerous in raids and mythic + is what I'm thinking though
    It is, but it depends on the fight and your classes options to deal with the debuff.
    You gotta try it out and manage a way to deal with it. If it doesn't work, then you can still return to your old weapon or just cleanse the thing.

You can keep your corruption around 20-30, the negative effects are pretty low at this level, personally I almost don’t feel them. And you can use the cloak ability, if they happen at bad moment

Blizzard remove the rnG with titanforged items, but add corrupted gear .. Sound good !!
    Some Corrupted spells is like 20k dps and sur be your 1st damaging ability ... w8 ... RnG ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Short answer: Yes. Long Answer: That's kinda the drawback of the Corruption System, items that can dramatically range in power because of their random power effects and are balanced by forcing you to use only a few or even one until later in the patch as their version of a "player controlled" soft nerf. Also it's not super clear but the Essence Corruption Resistance increase effect is listed as Unique meaning only one of the Essences are taken into account when reducing the amount of corruption on your character. Unless you're using the other essences for their minor effects there's no reason to equip them as you'll only be getting the Corruption Resistance increase from one of them.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

Depends on the corruption effect.

The 2h axe from Maut has a tank-based corruption effect (obsidian effect). It provides very minimal damage for Fury, so i cleansed it immediately.

My cloak gives me 27 resistance right now plus 3 essences (30), that's still only 57 corruption resistance total.

Thanks for any help
    Those from the essences does not stack, so it's only 10 no matter if you use 1 or all 3 of them.

I think I've noticed the snare twice since I got 38 net corruption? Once on heroic N'zoth, and another time on heroic Vexiona... both of the times, the snare was just annoying and not a game breaker. In all honesty, that's the main reason for the on-use portion of the cloak: to cleanse and be immune to negative corruption effects for when it matters. Most of the time, I just use the on-use ability when I'm turreting and don't want to move, as I have multiple ways to deal with the snare (since you can dispel the effect or use abilities that free you from snares). Even then I rarely have to go so far as to consciously remove my snare or I'm in trouble.

One thing to keep in mind is that the snare can only proc if you're taking damage. Sure, lots of boss fights have unavoidable damage, but they also have a lot of damage you can avoid. Azerite traits, talents, etc. that give you passive shields go a long way into preventing the snares from applying.

The simple version is that I've yet to run into a situation where I've failed mechanically in a M+/raid environment due to corruption negative effects, and the very few times when bad things line up I'll just use my cloak to remove the effects and be immune. Doesn't mean that I haven't seen other people fail due to the negative effects in my groups, but I think I can safely attribute that to a player problem and not the sole issue of corruption.
    Last edited by exochaft; 2020-01-27 at 03:51 PM.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Pretty much every class can go up to 39 corruption without issue. Even then a lot of classes depending on fight can deal with thing from beyond as well, but that's when things start to get real anyways. The slow and eyeball are really nothing, you can always dispel them off of you if in a tight spot with the cloak as well.