Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Maybe they just don't give a shit about history?
    That's not the only thing going on there, with the sort of grammar that's in use.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    That's not the only thing going on there, with the sort of grammar that's in use.
    a good chunk of schools, both public and private, don't really teach how to write well anymore. Seeing the OP's examples reminds me of what I saw in my own classmates, as well as my own writing sometimes until I started being forced to write well in college.

goodness knows my written paragraphs for college applications were a travesty.

Current generation's voting experience certainly doesn't reflect well.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Maybe they just don't give a shit about history?
    That may be the case but this class is specifically history of the U.S. 1877 - present. That means right after the Civil War. Last week we talked about the Reconstruction and stuff. This week's readings were about the expansion west, the Natives, the problems with blacks in the south, and the lynchings that were happening. This person just literally didn't give a shit about the class at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I had people who were that stupid in my classes long ago, nothing has changed. It also sounds like your teacher has failed in some capacity. It's weird you're trying to classify an entire generation by this one ignorant individual though. Just like any generation there are morons and there are those with intelligence.
    The teacher didn't fail at all. She posted tons of supplemental readings for us in addition to the required reading. None of our readings included anything about "the roarin 20's" because, well, we haven't got to that point yet lol

EXACTLY! I'm noticing a pattern in 3 of my 4 online classes. They all require testing into or taking Eng 1 (college level English & Lit) but there are sooooooooooooooooo many students who if they even passed only skated by with a C in that English class. Last week one of the students in another one of my classes typed his discussion post without any punctuation what so ever and it was a good 10-12 sentences had he used punctuation.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    That may be the case but this class is specifically history of the U.S. 1877 - present. That means right after the Civil War. Last week we talked about the Reconstruction and stuff. This week's readings were about the expansion west, the Natives, the problems with blacks in the south, and the lynchings that were happening. This person just literally didn't give a shit about the class at all.

The teacher didn't fail at all. She posted tons of supplemental readings for us in addition to the required reading. None of our readings included anything about "the roarin 20's" because, well, we haven't got to that point yet lol

EXACTLY! I'm noticing a pattern in 3 of my 4 online classes. They all require testing into or taking Eng 1 (college level English & Lit) but there are sooooooooooooooooo many students who if they even passed only skated by with a C in that English class. Last week one of the students in another one of my classes typed his discussion post without any punctuation what so ever and it was a good 10-12 sentences had he used punctuation.
    Aside from the general assumptions I can say for certain that the school is system in the US somehow got shittier between common core and the new English standards. I was helping my cousins with the computer the other day and looked at one of the papers and there were so many grammatical mistakes obvious ones. I asked her to redo it because there were simply too many mistakes she simply told me that her teachers don't care about spelling and don't grade on it.

She goes to high school next year...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    In my history class there are a few students who's English skills and basic intelligence scares me. Here's understanding of the level of intelligence that is in my history class. This is one of the ladies in my class. This is her replies to classmates, her own initial post, and what the prompt was for our discussion about the time shortly after the Civil War in the early 19th century....

my old english teacher would have a field day with that post.it would basically be given a "unacceptable do over" stamp.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

This is exactly what I was thinking, and it's strange how so few have commented on the grammar of the post. :O

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Intelligence levels aren’t going down wtf... present generations are very likely the least ignorant.
    Ignorance, especially as it pertains to being "woke", is not an indicator for intelligence. Logic, reason and basic skills like math, grammar, etc, are.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Stupidity has been rather constant. Just because it takes new forms doesn't make a generation any more or less stupid. It just means we see it easier thanks to the world being connected.
    Luckily this also has the side effect of stupidity becoming more self-solving/self-culling. /shrug

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    Ignorance, especially as it pertains to being "woke", is not an indicator for intelligence. Logic, reason and basic skills like math, grammar, etc, are.

Luckily this also has the side effect of stupidity becoming more self-solving/self-culling. /shrug
    Being woke is some right wing bullshit buzzword.

Were all the errors in the OP intentional?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Being woke is some right wing bullshit buzzword.
    Popularized by the left, initially black identitarians later co-opted by the larger progressive movements.

hmm...Should Schools Bring Back Cursive Handwriting?

In addition to the benefits of learning cursive, students who don't know cursive can hit a few roadblocks. One of the main areas of concern is that they can't read primary source documents (such as the original Constitution, written in cursive) or teacher/adult handwriting. Many also worry that these children won't be able to "sign" their name in an official capacity. While this may be true, there are no state or federal laws that mandate a signature must be in cursive; print signatures are acceptable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    hmm...Should Schools Bring Back Cursive Handwriting?

In addition to the benefits of learning cursive, students who don't know cursive can hit a few roadblocks. One of the main areas of concern is that they can't read primary source documents (such as the original Constitution, written in cursive) or teacher/adult handwriting. Many also worry that these children won't be able to "sign" their name in an official capacity. While this may be true, there are no state or federal laws that mandate a signature must be in cursive; print signatures are acceptable.
    Wait, they stopped teaching cursive? Do students nowadays dont taken written notes anymore? I don't even... *confused*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerilis View Post
    Wait, they stopped teaching cursive? Do students nowadays dont taken written notes anymore? I don't even... *confused*
    cursive isn't necessary for hand writing notes. I personally found print to be faster.

I always use my writing skills. Something about simply writing things down that...help expression.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    cursive isn't necessary for hand writing notes. I personally found print to be faster.
    I mean, I also developed my own writing style kinda over the years, but the thought of people not learning how to properly write beyond print just feels... odd to me. I'm kinda imagining a generation of people writing with scrawly elementary school letters. ^^"

The keyboard...cellphone use...texting...it's dumbing people down in my opinion.

These answers are perfect. They meet the criteria stated. I have done a number of papers that have a component like this. I would have given the same sort of answers. I am educated and intelligent. Why such "shitty" answers? I bet that this is a compulsory component of the paper. I bet it has to be done every week and the total towards you mark will be small, such as 10%. I bet you will get full marks just for doing it unless it's complete bullshit and wrong. I would spend 10 minutes writing my 2 things just to get it done. Even if it is wrong I don't care because it doesn't have a great bearing on your final grade and isnt worth the effort.

If my assumptions are correct then this shows intelligence. Why spend so much time on something that doesn't matter? Judge people by assessments such as essays and shit. That shows you who really has learnt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    In my local experiences I find that young people on average are a bit more intelligent than young people from the prior generations. Young people haven't changed but I think society and parents improve over time and that gets reflected onto the younger generation.
    Intelligent or just being know it alls while opening Wiki to copy or loosely paraphrase their response?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    The keyboard...cellphone use...texting...it's dumbing people down in my opinion.
    No. Google is apparently dumbing people down. Computer use and texting is evolving our language. Why do Americans have different spelling to the English? It's the same language basically. I heard it was because of the cost of printing words in the past. Just an example of how technology evolves language.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    These answers are perfect. They meet the criteria stated. I have done a number of papers that have a component like this. I would have given the same sort of answers. I am educated and intelligent. Why such "shitty" answers? I bet that this is a compulsory component of the paper. I bet it has to be done every week and the total towards you mark will be small, such as 10%. I bet you will get full marks just for doing it unless it's complete bullshit and wrong. I would spend 10 minutes writing my 2 things just to get it done. Even if it is wrong I don't care because it doesn't have a great bearing on your final grade and isnt worth the effort.

If my assumptions are correct then this shows intelligence. Why spend so much time on something that doesn't matter? Judge people by assessments such as essays and shit. That shows you who really has learnt.
    As actual history answers, they don't exactly pass muster. The prompt was specifically about the 19th century but you get answers about the 20th century. That doesnt speak to intelligence, only spitting out what you read or completely not knowing what the 19th century is.
    Last edited by Crissi; 2020-01-24 at 01:21 AM.