Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Younger generation's intelligence scares me...

In my history class there are a few students whose English skills and basic intelligence scares me. Here's understanding of the level of intelligence that is in my history class. This is one of the ladies in my class. This is her replies to classmates, her own initial post, and what the prompt was for our discussion about the time shortly after the Civil War in the early 19th century....

Last edited by gaymer77; 2020-01-26 at 01:48 AM. Reason: grammar Nazi corrections

This is a good prompt I feel that you could even go back and connect it to lockean themes and how when America rebelled they borrowed much of what freedom is from Locke.

Maybe they just don't give a shit about history?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is why I don't want to be a teacher.

It's so easy to fuck up. And your subjects won't even care!

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Maybe they just don't give a shit about history?
    Probably this. They don't care so they're bullshiting to reach the required length. If I may ask what grade do you teach

... You mean, like in every other class since education became a thing for the masses...?

You'd think teachers if any would have a grasp on what transcends generations... Not giving a shit = something that's always been a thing, always will be, amongst X amount of students.

I like how the prompt was about the 19th century and their replies are about the 1900s. Oof. Rookie mistake.

Man.. I really hope some teachers didnt share some of the homework assignments I bullshitted to get at least partial credit.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2020-01-23 at 07:57 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    In my local experiences I find that young people on average are a bit more intelligent than young people from the prior generations. Young people haven't changed but I think society and parents improve over time and that gets reflected onto the younger generation.

This isn't just a theme in the "younger generations" this sounds like any person I've ever met who honestly just doesn't give a shit about the subject and spews whatever information they actually retain into some semblance of a paragraph with no thought or attention on trying to have it make sense or flow...at all.

This is a hallmark of someone who has very little experience actually constructing a coherent and logical paragraph. I know MANY people who have this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Man.. I really hope some teachers didnt share some of the homework assignments I bullshitted to get at least partial credit.
    Where i live teachers are under a NDA, and can't share ANY of their students work without their consent. even things like discussing it outside (and to some degree within) the teaching staff is prohibited as well.

And on topic:
    Honestly, doesn't really say much about ''these younger generations''.
    It's always been like this.

Reminds me of when I was in my writing class and we had to shout out the negatives of video games, so I said they cause violence because all the good responses were already shouted out. I don’t actually believe that, but I had to say something.

However I do agree with you partially that intelligence levels are going down. I think a lot of that has to do with the current climate of social networking, drugs, video games (addiction), and teachers teaching useless subjects.
    Last edited by muto; 2020-01-23 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Reminds me of when I was in my writing class and we had to shout out the negatives of video games, so I said they cause violence because all the good responses were already shouted out. I don’t actually believe that, but I had to say something.

However I do agree with you partially that intelligence levels are going down. I think a lot of that has to do with the current climate of social networking, drugs, video games (addiction), and teachers teaching useless subjects.
    Intelligence levels aren’t going down wtf... present generations are very likely the least ignorant.

I mean they're eating tide pods and snorting condoms up their noses.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    I mean they're eating tide pods and snorting condoms up their noses.
    Young people having underdeveloped brains is not a new thing in the evolution of Homo Sapiens.

Kids today are if anything more aware of... everything, thanks to access to the Internet. That means teenage idiocy having the potential of spreading worldwide too.

Which is what everyone says about the younger generations. Welcome, you are now fully fledged "old".
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by Suneye View Post
    This isn't something new. People did this when I was a teenager too.
    I think the dumbest thing I ever did when I was a teenager was prank called people or doorbell ditched. All these “challenges” nowadays are a sign of stupidity. Even the Ice Bucket Challenge was stupid even though it was for a good cause. People could have just donated the money to ALS instead of going on Twitter, and posting their videos. People forgot about the reason they were doing it, and it just became a contest of who can think of a more ridiculous way to land this water on my head.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    I think the dumbest thing I ever did when I was a teenager was prank called people or doorbell ditched. All these “challenges” nowadays are a sign of stupidity. Even the Ice Bucket Challenge was stupid even though it was for a good cause. People could have just donated the money to ALS instead of going on Twitter, and posting their videos. People forgot about the reason they were doing it, and it just became a contest of who can think of a more ridiculous way to land this water on my head.
    I never did those dumb things you did neither.

Doesn't mean others weren't doing far worse.
    I'll never get this incessant need some have for believing that younger generations are inferior, really, when the growth of brains + differences in personality has been a constant for some 200k years.

It's rather pathetic, really, to see this sentiment repeated in each generation...
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2020-01-23 at 09:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stupidity has been rather constant. Just because it takes new forms doesn't make a generation any more or less stupid. It just means we see it easier thanks to the world being connected.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you haven't already OP, watch the movie idiocracy. It's chilling in that it's meant to be a comedy, but it feels too real.
    Here is something to believe in!

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    I never did those dumb things you did neither.

Doesn't mean others weren't doing far worse.
    I'll never get this incessant need some have for believing that younger generations are inferior, really, when the growth of brains + differences in personality has been a constant for some 200k years.
    Most people aren’t going to achieve the intelligence levels it requires to push society forward. Not everyone is going to be an Einstein or a Hawking. Most people are content working a middle class 9 to 5 job. The select few that do care about Science, and Math are the ones advancing society the most. Also it’s easier to advance society when you know most all the mathematical formulas, and science that previous generations already figured out. We also learn from past mistakes, and hopefully don't repeat them.