Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Maybe they just don't give a shit about history?
    In this particular circumstance, that's how I feel. Who gives a shit about history on a level that these classes try to teach it at. Common core can go all fuck itself too.

The overwhelming majority of sub-25 year-olds scare the shit out of me. Not knowing basic life-skills, accountability, or even just how to fucking interact with people is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Rymr View Post
    So you are an old dude in class with kids, shaking your cane furiously at said kids?
    To be fair, those answers are horrible and don't even address the prompt and are therefore flat out wrong. They highlight someone doing the absolute bare minimum to qualify for a grade who obviously either didn't even read or try to understand the information for the assignment.

7+ Year Old Account
    Maybe they just don't give a shit about history?
    Then we are doomed to repeat it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Young people having underdeveloped brains is not a new thing in the evolution of Homo Sapiens.

Kids today are if anything more aware of... everything, thanks to access to the Internet. That means teenage idiocy having the potential of spreading worldwide too.
    But only if it's in the realm of a Twit, Insta or Tictok. If it's more than 148 characters or a 6 second video clip they get glassy eyed and want the TLDR version

Quote Originally Posted by smityx View Post
    Then we are doomed to repeat it.
    I will personally bow out to the wisdom of whoever first said this; I've never been shown in any remotely solid way how it's still true in my lifetime but that's most likely on me. I'll just have to accept that somehow knowing about the Magna Carta will stop the King John from taking too much power from the earls knights and barons of England, (or something equally sarcastic).

Seeing as history is also something that people often disagree on, and politicised (if that's a word) it's really just nonsense. Maybe that's just because of how poorly I was taught it
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

7+ Year Old Account
    I will personally bow out to the wisdom of whoever first said this; I've never been shown in any remotely solid way how it's still true in my lifetime but that's most likely on me. I'll just have to accept that somehow knowing about the Magna Carta will stop the King John from taking too much power from the earls knights and barons of England, (or something equally sarcastic).

Seeing as history is also something that people often disagree on, and politicised (if that's a word) it's really just nonsense. Maybe that's just because of how poorly I was taught it
    Doesn't necessarily have to just be major historical events can be event recent/personal events in your own history. Getting black out drunk and regretting the after effects but do it again anyway. Getting caught speeding multiple times on the same stretch of road, cheating, touching a hot stove, all those those times you kept sticking a fork in the toaster =), etc. etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    This thread is boomer asf.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by smityx View Post
    Doesn't necessarily have to just be major historical events can be event recent/personal events in your own history. Getting black out drunk and regretting the after effects but do it again anyway. Getting caught speeding multiple times on the same stretch of road, cheating, touching a hot stove, all those those times you kept sticking a fork in the toaster =), etc. etc.
    Okay but in the context of this thread it is the history we learn at school; which to all intents and purposes is 40 minutes of completely wasted time each lesson (and the quote you gave is often given as a reason that history should be taught in schools, to boot).

I just have always felt it's a bit of an "emperors new clothes" of clever sayings, that doesn't hold up much to any scrutiny. We could spend 100% of our education learning history and we would still make the same mistakes endemic to human nature.
    Last edited by AeneasBK; 2020-01-24 at 10:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    That may be the case but this class is specifically history of the U.S. 1877 - present. That means right after the Civil War. Last week we talked about the Reconstruction and stuff. This week's readings were about the expansion west, the Natives, the problems with blacks in the south, and the lynchings that were happening. This person just literally didn't give a shit about the class at all.

The teacher didn't fail at all. She posted tons of supplemental readings for us in addition to the required reading. None of our readings included anything about "the roarin 20's" because, well, we haven't got to that point yet lol

EXACTLY! I'm noticing a pattern in 3 of my 4 online classes. They all require testing into or taking Eng 1 (college level English & Lit) but there are sooooooooooooooooo many students who if they even passed only skated by with a C in that English class. Last week one of the students in another one of my classes typed his discussion post without any punctuation what so ever and it was a good 10-12 sentences had he used punctuation.

Hehe, the great discussion posts for online classes. Honestly, no one really cares about these and generally just slap something down to get it done. And for the replies, everyone, where I go, has a template they just fill in for reply.

In terms of educational value, online discussions are horrible for learning and discussing the subject. Everyone just does the minimum. In this case, You'd get the original post and then a reply and they'd end there.

I'm 38. In the 90s, my lit class (which was an Honors class!) in 9th grade was tasked with reading Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. Traditionally, we were given a week to read the book, then we would have a pop quiz on it on Monday.

So I read the book, enjoyed it, and on Monday morning, a friend of mine frantically asked me to summarize the book for him and any potential quiz questions. I did my best, and then added that an easy pop quiz question might be what Kurtz's last words were, which I told my friend were, "The horror......the horror..."

Pop quiz obviously had that question on it. Friday comes by, pop quizzes are returned. I aced it. Our teacher says, "It seems pretty clear some of you didn't read the book, and at least one of you only asked someone else about the book...." and he tries really hard not to stare at anyone in particular. It turns out my friend, on the "last words of Kurtz" question, put: "The whore, the whore..."

IOW, kids have been lazy and not given a shit for a long time. I believe they made a musical called Grease about this concept.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Hehe, the great discussion posts for online classes. Honestly, no one really cares about these and generally just slap something down to get it done. And for the replies, everyone, where I go, has a template they just fill in for reply.

In terms of educational value, online discussions are horrible for learning and discussing the subject. Everyone just does the minimum. In this case, You'd get the original post and then a reply and they'd end there.
    The online classes I've had that are 100% online usually had an assignment or two that you do plus your weekly discussion post on something related to the assignments that were done that week. They all have required 2 paragraphs minimum and some required 500 word count minimums too. I had one that in addition to the 500+ word count initial we had to reply to two other students with 350+ replies. My bestie is in a class right now that if he doesn't answer questions/comments on HIS post plus the 2 other classmate's posts he'll only get half credit for that week's discussion. That prof is a stickler for the whole "carry on a conversation" bullshit of online classes.

irony. that's all i have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Suneye View Post
    Are you really complaining about their English while typing this, unironically?

Who's in this sentence either reads as:

Or:

Who's is not whose.
    Best part of this thread.

Or:

Who's is not whose.
    As I wrote, there is so much irony in this thread, on so many different levels.

In my history class there are a few students who's English skills and basic intelligence scares me. Here's understanding of the level of intelligence that is in my history class. This is one of the ladies in my class. This is her replies to classmates, her own initial post, and what the prompt was for our discussion about the time shortly after the Civil War in the early 19th century....

As an "educator", you should now that this sort of "exposure" is not appropriate. If you think some of your students write poor essays, either grade accordingly or put more effort to fix that.

I would fire you if it was my department/school.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2020-01-25 at 11:37 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    As an "educator", you should now that this sort of "exposure" is not appropriate. If you think some of your students write poor essays, either grade accordingly or put more effort to fix that.

I would fire you if it was my department/school.
    Um I'm not an educator. I'm a STUDENT and this was what my CLASSMATE posted.

- - - Updated - - -

Or:

Who's is not whose.
    It was fixed. You feel better now?

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Um I'm not an educator. I'm a STUDENT and this was what my CLASSMATE posted.
    How does that make any sense? If you are classmate, you shouldn't be trying to shame classmates either, and you are presumably the same generation. How about you try looking to your own education, rather then mocking others?

It was fixed. You feel better now?
    Doesn't change the fact you made the mistake in the first place. That is the problem with being so judgmental, it makes your own failings more obvious to everyone around you. If you are going to mock people's education, make sure the same problems don't apply to you.

This whole thread is loaded with irony and foolishness. There is nothing about the next generation that is any different then any previous generation. Some people have been phoning in their education since education was invented. And some people like to mock other people to make themselves feel better.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flynn_effect
    chances are they're smarter than you... or at least if you think IQ is a good measurement of intelligence.

The online classes I've had that are 100% online usually had an assignment or two that you do plus your weekly discussion post on something related to the assignments that were done that week. They all have required 2 paragraphs minimum and some required 500 word count minimums too. I had one that in addition to the 500+ word count initial we had to reply to two other students with 350+ replies. My bestie is in a class right now that if he doesn't answer questions/comments on HIS post plus the 2 other classmate's posts he'll only get half credit for that week's discussion. That prof is a stickler for the whole "carry on a conversation" bullshit of online classes.
    Word counts a simple way to make students do something that is silly. My argument is it can be said and supported in 250 words why is 500 needed. But I digress.

Um I'm not an educator. I'm a STUDENT and this was what my CLASSMATE posted?
    Okay, I misunderstood. I thought you were teaching.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    How does that make any sense? If you are classmate, you shouldn't be trying to shame classmates either, and you are presumably the same generation. How about you try looking to your own education, rather then mocking others?

Doesn't change the fact you made the mistake in the first place. That is the problem with being so judgmental, it makes your own failings more obvious to everyone around you. If you are going to mock people's education, make sure the same problems don't apply to you.

This whole thread is loaded with irony and foolishness. There is nothing about the next generation that is any different then any previous generation. Some people have been phoning in their education since education was invented. And some people like to mock other people to make themselves feel better.
    Do you not understand what classmate means? You seem to be ok harping on my poor grammar skills so I would assume you understood what the word "classmate" meant since I've used that every time I've spoken about this other student. As far as her being from the same generation, not true what so ever. The picture on her school profile in Canvas (the website most colleges use for their online portion of classes) shows her in it and she is definitely under 20 years old. I am NOT under 20 years old. She is from another generation. As far as me being judgemental, I was being judgemental of her answer not just for her grammar but for her actual answer to the prompt if you bothered to read my initial post. She was talking about the "roaring 20's" in every single one of her posts for the class and yet the time period for the discussion was the time period shortly after the Reconstruction failed (you know 1877 not the 1920's). Her description in each of HER posts talk about problems blacks were facing in the 1950's through 1960's (again not the 1877 time frame we were supposed to be discussing). Hell even her talking about sitting on the back of the bus is a WTF moment because commercial buses weren't even a thing in America until the 1940's or 1950's (which again is not the 1877 time frame of our prompt).