10+ Year Old Account

Happy Year of the Rat!

It is a bit early yet, but with so many people sending greetings I expect the ISP to be swamped at midnight. Happy Year of the Rat/Mouse to those of you who could use an excuse to celebrate something!

For those of you who do celebrate the Lunar New Year, let's hear some tales!
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

5+ Year Old Account
    No funny trump inflatible? This is breaking tradition...

Year of the dog

Chicken (my fav)

It’s kind of ironic that a virus manifested in China during the year of the rat, since rats are associated with plagues.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Ihavewaffles As Arlo Guthrie said in the lead in to Presidential Rag -- his song said about Nixon and Watergate -- he was going to write a funny song but it got way past being funny.

@muto Nyah, that's old fashioned, we go with marmot kidney these days!
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

5+ Year Old Account
    Teh live show

10+ Year Old Account
    Youtube. Blocked here. :P

From twenty floors up, I can see to the hills around Beijing. Even with the rules intended to keep the AQI from soaring, usually midnight is a sea of fireworks. This year, with celebrations cancelled to discourage crowds, the area out to the edge of the hills was black. Yay for me being a <this animal preempted by a public safety message>

Happy new year or xin nian kuai le!

I'm pretty much confined to my bed, so nothing happening for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Jinro Ouch, I had enough of that with the foot injury to cringe. Hope things get better soon!

As much as a let down as it has been to have to cancel all my plans, at least I got to have jiaozi (had a stock horded anyway because stores would have been closed for the holiday even without the virus). Some of the Herd even sent me hongbao by WeChat, 99 RMB to wish me longevity. That was a nice gesture.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post

All this does is create a precedent that will cause all future presidents to get their own over-sized animal caricatures... Which is kind of fun actually.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmouse View Post
    @Jinro Ouch, I had enough of that with the foot injury to cringe. Hope things get better soon!
    Mine is back pain, was going to get out of bed and I just felt like something popping and then I had to lie down again because it hurt so bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinro
    Mine is back pain, was going to get out of bed
    Not fun stuff. This is probably a good time to avoid hospitals but stay on top of that.
    Last edited by shadowmouse; 2020-01-24 at 05:50 PM. Reason: page was slow to refresh

https://imgur.com/a/7zUmYQn

Watching from close to home better than going to district 1 to watch it. xD
    Last edited by Katie N; 2020-01-24 at 10:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie N
    Watching from close to home better than going to district 1 to watch it. xD
    I'm guessing fireworks? Lucky! There were barely any here, although the surrounding areas managed to fire off enough that AQI is over 300 this morning.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=stlFd_Z4FMM

Doesn't look to promising
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk
    Doesn't look to promising
    Welp, at least not from this side of the Great Firewall it doesn't. That was the video of the girls modeling the traditional red underwear for good luck, wasn't it? Youtube has been blocked here for a couple of years so I kinda have to guess.

What does the year of the rat mean?

Doesnt each animal represent something as a prediction for the year so to speak.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis
    What does the year of the rat mean?

Doesnt each animal represent something as a prediction for the year so to speak.
    I'm not one for astrology, but I do find it interesting to look at the Chinese zodiac as an early attempt to group personality types. Here, where a person hears about their birth animal as part of growing up, it seems like many people choose to either embrace it or reject it. The oldest quasi-adoptive daughter is a Monkey, and darned tired of hearing about the Monkey King in Journey to the West ("I *do. not.* like peaches!"), but I dated a woman born in the Year of the Tiger who came up through martial arts schools and was very assertive who explained it with "I'm a Tiger".

For me, it is part of the culture here and it gets to be "my" year every 12 years. I suppose simple things amuse me, it is nice to have something to look forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmouse View Post
    I'm guessing fireworks? Lucky! There were barely any here, although the surrounding areas managed to fire off enough that AQI is over 300 this morning.
    Yes. xD It was a nice view.