Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

The player character is now canonically the most important lore figure in Azeroth

So now that it was the player alone that personally channelled Azeroths energy, and saved the entire world, and killed a god - who'd been the biggest threat, corrupter and one of the most influential villains throughout Warcraft's history.

From an RP point of view this is kind of game-breaking now. Other expansion had "Adventurers" help, but there was a lore figure who has the final blow - we were never the saviour of the whole world. Whenever people summarise Azeroths history will they all just forget my name? I feel I need a personal Wowpedia page for my character now.

Why am I even raising rep with factions anymore? They should just be giving me gifts and jus primae noctis!

I want my own statue in Stormwind!!

The next time someone tries to give me a quest to harass some Kobold or scoop up some poop, I'll take it as a personal insult.

(This is just one of the reasons why Blizzard should have swapped the end two cinematics to give Wrathion the lore final kill. It would have been a good conclusion to the Deathwing legacy for him to be responsible for it too).
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

3+ Year Old Account
    I agree it should have been wrathion.

we could have used it to empower him for just long enough to kill N’zoth with one final blast.

While giving Wrathion the kill would be nice for him to get revenge for what the Old Gods did to the Black Dragonflight, in the end you'd just get people complaining "I spent all this time throughout all of BfA just for Wrathion to swoop in in the last patch and steal credit"

I look forward to collecting 10 bear anuses next expansion anyway.

I haven't gone too far into spoiler territory, but isn't the player a conduit that power courses through? It felt like they were valuable, sure, but not really...powerful. The power came from the titan machines, and the player was about as important as electrical wire running power to a device. Or maybe a tool like a gun in the hands of skilled marksman. I don't feel like we're really that powerful and that anyone wielding the heart who had been there could do the same thing (as evidenced by the fact that anyone in that position with the heart DOES do the same thing).

We have become Thrall 2.0 from Cataclysm. Only via Necklace. Making the necklace MVP and not the character.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    They will likely just do what they did with thunder fury where it wasn’t really you who got it instead of was some dwarf npc. They did the same thing with the artifacts at the end of legion with the cleansing of the sword where it turns out the people who got the artifacts were abunch of npcs.

That or make it some unnamed adventure like the ones illidan killed in his book.

Good. Better the Player Character than Sylvanas. Kerrigan 2.0 was avoided and I call that a great win.
    Expansion Storylines ranking:

Legion > Cataclysm > MoP > BfA up to 8.2.5 > Wrath > TBC > WoD > Dragonflight > BfA 8.3 > Shadowlands

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    We've been that since WoD at least
    Honestly I think WOD was a good splitting of the difference; after five xpacs we'd gotten enough personal clout and notoriety that Varian/Vol'jin were like "ok, [PC name], you've killed just like.... so many things that I'm going to give you a detachment and orders to build a military base to go curbstomp the iron horde. Congrats on the promotion, general."
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Nah, it's just because of the MMO format that the game panders to us, but the "player hero" is an interchangeable paragon. Note how we're never the only characters in most notable encounters. Akama, Tirion, Illidan, Velen, Jaina, etc. are always present when we killed the likes of Illidan, Lich King, Kil'jaeden, etc. That means when WoW the MMO is gone, but Blizzard is writing records of its lore, we won't get the credit, the racial leaders and lore characters will. rogueMatthias won't appear in Chronicles volume 3 or whatever that'll be, when citing who killed Onyxia. It was Varian.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aresk View Post
    I haven't gone too far into spoiler territory, but isn't the player a conduit that power courses through? It felt like they were valuable, sure, but not really...powerful. The power came from the titan machines, and the player was about as important as electrical wire running power to a device. Or maybe a tool like a gun in the hands of skilled marksman. I don't feel like we're really that powerful and that anyone wielding the heart who had been there could do the same thing (as evidenced by the fact that anyone in that position with the heart DOES do the same thing).
    This is a game where almost every character's power comes via magical artifacts, particularly for the warrior-types and certainly for our PCs. Being the conduit is as good as being the power itself in the Warcraft universe.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

One problem, sure Azeroth helped us this time becouse she was in direct danger not like she had any choice was more help us or die, but if you are in danger and not Azeroth do you really belive she would bother to help you or lend you her powers.

7+ Year Old Account
    I demand to be given control of the Darkspear tribe

Who's gonna stop me? Rokhan?
    He doesn't even have a unique model
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

We've been the most important for years now...

You just been sleeping on us? Or what?

I wouldn't be surprised if canon is: Magni, Wrathion and some plebs did it.

Magni did all the hard work after all. we're really just the errand boys of this operation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Nah, it's just because of the MMO format that the game panders to us, but the "player hero" is an interchangeable paragon. Note how we're never the only characters in most notable encounters. Akama, Tirion, Illidan, Velen, Jaina, etc. are always present when we killed the likes of Illidan, Lich King, Kil'jaeden, etc. That means when WoW the MMO is gone, but Blizzard is writing records of its lore, we won't get the credit, the racial leaders and lore characters will. rogueMatthias won't appear in Chronicles volume 3 or whatever that'll be, when citing who killed Onyxia. It was Varian.
    Or probably because the rendered Cinematics just act like we're in the background while everyone else is upfront. Like with KJ, we would likely be at the ship, waiting for Khadgar to finish his teleportation back to Azeroth. However, the focus is on the main lore figures. We're there, but we're not the main center focus in those Cinematics, ya know?

However, here, we are, because we have the HoA, and we're the only ones facing the Old God, ya know?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if canon is: Magni, Wrathion and some plebs did it.

Magni did all the hard work after all. we're really just the errand boys of this operation.
    How are we the errand boys when are canon lore character has the HoA, while everyone else is just helping them out in the raid.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    This is a game where almost every character's power comes via magical artifacts, particularly for the warrior-types and certainly for our PCs. Being the conduit is as good as being the power itself in the Warcraft universe.
    That's a good point. But whereas Gorehowl, for instance, can be swung as often as Grom or Garrosh or whoever is wielding it today can swing it, how often can we serve as a focal point for reorigination? This seemed like a one-off time, to me, but I suppose that remains to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    How are we the errand boys when are canon lore character has the HoA, while everyone else is just helping them out in the raid.
    Dunno. I haven't read a warcraft novel in a decade. But i'm having a hard time imagining how they would describe the player character in those other than "adventurer" or some such generic thing. and make it a decent read on top of that with such a vague major character.

Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Or probably because the rendered Cinematics just act like we're in the background while everyone else is upfront. Like with KJ, we would likely be at the ship, waiting for Khadgar to finish his teleportation back to Azeroth. However, the focus is on the main lore figures. We're there, but we're not the main center focus in those Cinematics, ya know?

However, here, we are, because we have the HoA, and we're the only ones facing the Old God, ya know?
    So we're nameless supporting characters, exactly. In history thousands of soldiers who laid down their lives don't get individual credit for having won the war. The nation or President/and/or leader gets the credit. Soldiers are memorialized, but not as individual heroes. Same boat here. At best, we're "veterans."

While I appreciate being noted by lore characters as having earned some rank prestige in my faction, it can only go so far. I don’t want to suddenly find myself being a raid boss with a lore character and his 25 mates coming at me.
    'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'