Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    In Vanilla it was this way a little bit, but even back then nearly every new raid would replace the majority of your gear. Starting in TBC outside of maybe trinkets you'd absolutely replace 95% of your gear every new raid tier.
    I think a big difference with Vanilla, TBC, and even Wrath to a small degree, is that the "catch up" gear wasn't there. The previous raid tiers still mattered, they were still things plenty of people continued to do as alts or more casual players progressed their characters. Out gearing older expansion content had a feeling of "that is something this character doesn't need to do anymore." But you might still help other people out, it was always "current content" for someone.

None of that is the case now. Now a new patch launches, and catch up gear replaces entire raid content without stepping foot in a dungeon. Uldir isn't just old content, it's irrelevant content. For the entire playerbase, over the span of a single patch day. Doesn't matter what level you are or how geared you are, the entire raid might as well not exist anymore.

I think that feeling of "meaninglessness" people describe is due to knowing that current expansion content is going to be a transmog run within a couple months. The value for completing it and farming it doesn't stick, within each expansion, like it used to. Working to gear through/past a raids content seems silly when, in a few months, fresh 120's in greens won't even look twice at it.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I progress only to the point I'll finish my final goal for expansion. In Legion - Heroic Argus, 3xMage Tower, in BfA - Heroic N'zoth, all M+15, maxing out Vision scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    Maybe mmorpg's arent a gerne for you.
    Well, not every MMO is like this. Many don't do resets at all and have a more.. balanced power level. I think WoW has gone too far with it too. They should really tone if down and maybe only do a "soft" reset every expansion, not every patch.

I've stopped grinding gear ages ago and just raid a bit with my guild now and when I feel like grinding, I grind gold instead. At least that will not lose value as I can always just buy tokens with it, convert it to balance and it will stay there forever.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amarys View Post
    Well, not every MMO is like this. Many don't do resets at all and have a more.. balanced power level. I think WoW has gone too far with it too. They should really tone if down and maybe only do a "soft" reset every expansion, not every patch.

I've stopped grinding gear ages ago and just raid a bit with my guild now and when I feel like grinding, I grind gold instead. At least that will not lose value as I can always just buy tokens with it, convert it to balance and it will stay there forever.
    Dude, people bitch 24/7 that they have to get honored or something in rep from previous patch to get essence. I can't imagine what would happen if Blizzard will expect people to go through Uldir->BoD->EP and/or 40 levels of M+.

Oh, and say goodbye to gear from casual PVP, they would have to remove it or else people would use it as catch up. So we would have same system, but with less choices.

Imo what WoW lacks are better rewards from seasonal stuff that goes away. Right now main reward for doing stuff during it's season is our experience.

MMORPG has a lot more features than running the gear treadmill or mount collection. Maybe you are not aware of what those other features are?

They were never this bad. You have gear now becoming worthless in a patch. You used to be able to use some items deep into the next expansion.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ano2024 View Post
    Am I grinding for hours just to increase my dps for a single patch, to play dance dance revolution in a raid while pressing a few buttons on my bars, just to do it all again next patch?

It just seems so pointless. It's like cookie clicker, just some pointless numbers. At least in cookie clicker they aren't reset every few months.
    Congratulations you have broken MMOs down into their base concept.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    They were never this bad.
    The idea of "I do all this grinding and then an expansion releases and it's invalidated" has always been the case. Even going back to OG Everquest. Nothing's changed, if "it was never this bad" then your issue lies somewhere other than the act of grind-invalidate-grind-invalidate.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post

The idea of "I do all this grinding and then an expansion releases and it's invalidated" has always been the case. Even going back to OG Everquest. Nothing's changed, if "it was never this bad" then your issue lies somewhere other than the act of grind-invalidate-grind-invalidate.
    No it doesn't that exactly where my problem lies. If I can put in a grind and get an item that will last me for 3 years, that seems way more meaningful that an item that will last me for 4 months. You brought up EQ... people used their epic wepaons for like 4 expansions.

This is why I don't understand min-maxers who suffer from major OCD unless they get the absolute best in slot items for all of their gear.
    As long as the gear you have is getting you through the content that matters to you, then who the Hell cares?

10+ Year Old Account
    You did it, you solved WoW.
    /s

Exactly, it now feels so pointless. A good, rewarding and meaningful game makes you immersed and absorbed into the game. At this point I'm always thinking on a meta level, looking at my life, what the hell am I doing pressing a few buttons for a timegated and boring grind for pointless rewards.
    Stop playing video games, you've just described them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkguyver2020 View Post
    This is why I don't understand min-maxers who suffer from major OCD unless they get the absolute best in slot items for all of their gear.
    As long as the gear you have is getting you through the content that matters to you, then who the Hell cares?
    Because it's fun. 98% of the fun I get from MMOs is getting new gear, optimising it to get the highest possible DPS I can.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post
    Nah this is new.

Back in the good days, epic gear meant something and lasted. Even when new raids were released, particularly powerful items would still be best and worth persuing.
    I hate retaining items though, because then I don't get the chance to see the new models/effects that are on the new gear. Especially trinkets, I've been using the same trinket(Highborne Compendium) since the expac dropped and I hate it, because while I like the trinket and it's effect, there's new ones I'd rather be playing with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Addiena
    Whats the saying .. You have two brain cells and they are both fighting for third place !

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    If you can't enter soft-immersion into the game world to the point that you can't ignore the actual statistics, mathematics, and realities of progression that are baked into the design of any video game then I would say you are just done with the game. Unplug, perhaps play something else for a bit, then come back and see if you can immerse yourself once more.

Essentially you're burned out on WoW and you need to invest yourself elsewhere, either permanently or at least for a little while.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

raid at a level where (as much) grinding is not required.

or take a break from the game, some time away does wonders.

15+ Year Old Account
    Some of the BWL items you used all the way into BC.
    So no, this hasn't been happening for the past 15 years, you can all stop posting this bogus cop out now lol.

Back to Pong for you...only game i can think of that has no grinding.

Players wanted something that they could work on over the course of multiple patches, so they introduced the essence system

Now people complain that they have to work for the essences.

Am I grinding for hours just to increase my dps for a single patch, to play dance dance revolution in a raid while pressing a few buttons on my bars, just to do it all again next patch?

It just seems so pointless. It's like cookie clicker, just some pointless numbers. At least in cookie clicker they aren't reset every few months.
    Strong red pill feeling. You've finally woken up. Welcome home brother. Now you are red pill

The thing about this rant is it actually is something just about everyone will face with the game at some point. Note the "just about" and note that it is not all or none. When you feel this way that means WoW is no longer the game for you. MMOs for the most part have ran their course with you. It is a good time to quit. Or at the very least take a break and see if the spark is rekindled in the next expansion.

Why the F do i have to move these silly pieces around the board when its all gonna be reset for the next game anyways - A chess player.

This is litteraly the game you play, Its designed to farm gear in a patch to do the content and farm new gear for new content later.