Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I mean you could go play RuneScape if you want an MMO that doesn't reset your progress ever. That has its own share of problems.

Technically your progress in all video games is "worthless". In Legion, I grinded because I wanted the Ahead of the Curve mount, special artifact appearances, and the Mage Tower challenge completed. Generally things I couldn't just go back and do later.

Hasn't been as much of that available this expansion, putting me kind of back in your position.

was gonna say runescape too but whats wrong with that

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    If content is not seen by the playerbase, then whats the point to add said content to begin with.
    Is there any content in WoW that cant or could never be seen by the playerbase? Or are you just being hyperbolic?

Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post
    Nah this is new.

Back in the good days, epic gear meant something and lasted. Even when new raids were released, particularly powerful items would still be best and worth persuing.
    I remember vendoring my CoF as soon as tomb opened. I remember vendoring my arcanocrystal as soon as we went to argus. I remember vendoring razor coral last week when nyalotha opened.

Oh wait....

the problem is not replacing, the problem is that the gear itself is useless, u can do every content in game with whatever gear there is and ur basically showered with it.

the only thing is higher difficulty... which gives u even better gear for what LUL

Find a new genre? Thats pretty mutch MMOs.

You gear up your character, work towards a goal and then you enjoy your full potential.
    Would it be more fun without gearing?
    How about choosing a class you enjoy, or choose more fun talents instead of the big D ones?

Perhaps MMOs isnt for you anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    well, i dont mind grinding.
    i just like to do it on my own pace.
    not like wow is forcing you to. which is play for an hour each day, every day. the epitome of routine.

i usually like to bust my arse, get my reward, then have a break for a few days and do what i find actually fun in the game.
    but no, i'd fall behind, even though i'm willing to put in the same amount of work, if not more.

join us in classic
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSuze View Post
    You've mistakenly made the assumption that I'm not capable of buying MORE poutine.

Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    Some of the BWL items you used all the way into BC.
    So no, this hasn't been happening for the past 15 years, you can all stop posting this bogus cop out now lol.
    Something something "lol". Do you WANT that though? To have this one great item you have to farm from 3 tiers ago? Or even better, from 3 expansions ago? Well I hope you never need to take a break, cause then you'd be behind on all the cool shit.
    Btw, I have a trinket from the first raid I'm still using now - does that mean that it's the end all of all arguments? "Some" is irrelevant.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    i usually like to bust my arse, get my reward, then have a break for a few days and do what i find actually fun in the game.
    but no, i'd fall behind, even though i'm willing to put in the same amount of work, if not more.
    Thing is this kind of mentality actually doesn't matter unless you're someone that wants to be cutting edge at the same pace as people that do play every day.

Which really doesn't make sense to me, you want to go at your own pace but you also wish to be at the same level of that didn't miss any days?

A better perspective, which is actually true, is that you can get to the point you want to at your own pace. You can go break for a few days and spend maybe a few hours or something "busting your arse for your reward".

You can get at minimum 2 vessels a week it very minimal playtime - the upgrade quests are once a week so you always have extra. By the time you get to a cloak rank that requires more than 2 runs, your cloak will already be good enough to complete the entire current raid tier.

M+ run for the weekly is literally timed and designed for someone to finish it faster than the time limit.

The raids themselves might take someone a few hours, OR you can just wait for all the timewalking and dungeon bonus weeks to gear your character out and cut down on the raid times.

The game nowadays has lots of ways to do things in a short time frame for the week. Sometimes I feel like it's just people's expectations with a sort of "I wanna have my perfectly beautiful cake AND eat a slice of it while it still looks whole".

Especially because the bottom line of it all is: there's other players going at a similar pace as yours too. Find them, play with them, be able to do all group content you wish with them. Or don't and pug it out, there's tons of those too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by letssee View Post
    the problem is not replacing, the problem is that the gear itself is useless, u can do every content in game with whatever gear there is and ur basically showered with it.
    It's why it's better to do the content for the cool rewards. Getting Wrathion's trinket is fun because of the dragon wings and slow fall. Don't give it a shit that it also makes me do more dmg, that's a bonus. Same for getting Twilight Devastation 2h sword. Maxed out Devastation sounds fun, seeing it proc looks awesome. Doing crazy dmg with it is brownie points.

Basically if an item has a really cool effect, it makes it worth getting to me.

the only thing is higher difficulty... which gives u even better gear for what LUL
    To feel like a god basically It feels amazing wrecking shit in PvE with better gear.

On top of that, I played the last tier of Legion heavily raiding into the beginning of BfA and it felt awesome that aside from legendaries I don't think any of my other pieces of gear were immediately replaced with quest greens until I was lvl 115+ or so. That kind of progression felt good because it meant my time spent doing the higher tier content from last expansion paid off just a bit in the current one.
    Last edited by FlubberPuddy; 2020-01-29 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sithalos View Post
    Yeah, I'm not sure why people feel the need to share their dumb opinions with strangers. Oh well..
    Real reason explanation: MISERY LOVES COMPANY.

That's why they post. They feel torn in their decision in not liking something, and need validation that what they feel/think is real. It's sad.

That said, I'm not a fan of getting my BiS for mythic+, and then grinding the SAME EXACT places throughout every following seasons. I\'m literally reliving the same EXACT grind from season to season. Wish they would mix up the loot so I don't have to grind the same places that only have the gear I want. Make me go somewhere else for that piece.
    Last edited by scelero; 2020-01-29 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ano2024 View Post
    Am I grinding for hours just to increase my dps for a single patch, to play dance dance revolution in a raid while pressing a few buttons on my bars, just to do it all again next patch?

It just seems so pointless. It's like cookie clicker, just some pointless numbers. At least in cookie clicker they aren't reset every few months.
    This is precisely what so many said when TBC launched, and why Naxx was cleared by so few people. I agree with you - slogging through a grind trying to get the absolute mathematically best gear is not worth it - especially if you're not having fun. The key is whether you're having fun or not. If you're with a good guild, and like hanging out with them doing content, it's all good. If it's stressing you out, quit the grind. In Classic, I basically don't need anything else out of MC, and BWL launches in a couple weeks. That said, I'm still pumped for raid tonight because I like these people and like the game. If any of that changed, I'd seriously reconsider how I spend my time. And, if TBC Classic is announced, whether my character will forcibly moved into that expansion or I'll get to copy him over, I'll still want to be clearing Naxx up until go time, because there's enjoyment in this grind.

Point is - have fun. If you're not, it's not worth it. This is a game, and it should be fun.

was gonna say runescape too but whats wrong with that
    Pay to win, invasive microtransactions in the main game, and xtreme grinding in the old school version. And in both in general that being able to be "done" with leveling by reaching 99 in something means eventually you'll just run out of stuff to do without that expansionly "reset button."

I still like them at the end of the day, but you asked what the downsides were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    congratulations, you finally discovered the truth. you are free now. run while you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

15+ Year Old Account
    Even though the OP doesn't do the best job expressing his feelings, there is some rhyme to his reason.

The increasingly aggressive catch-up mechanics are making what you do now irrelevant for the next patch.

Right now you can easily jump straight into the latest LFR within the same week that you hit max level, effectively trivializing all the content before that.
    Blizzard is not being very smart.
    Why did you create a new thread? Use the search function and post in existing threads!
    Why did you necro a thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Trend View Post
    I can see this thread really going places.

If you're not having fun, just quit. You don't need to post about it.
    This. There is a script posted in MMO-C that blocks ban-dodge 1 post accounts, but once someone replies it still shows up unfortunately.
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Xemioza View Post
    So you stopped playing with TBC Sunwell patch ?
    Stopped playing after WotLK and Cataclysm. This is not about “when” they put this system in the game it is that the system can live up for so many expansions and now it is just boring. I’d say the game lacks long term gear progression and I completely understand why. It’s just that grinding the same gear for it to become invalid in half a year is too old and non rewarding experience.

No one makes you play..go back to Farmville

Quote Originally Posted by Nurvus View Post
    Even though the OP doesn't do the best job expressing his feelings, there is some rhyme to his reason.

The increasingly aggressive catch-up mechanics are making what you do now irrelevant for the next patch.

Right now you can easily jump straight into the latest LFR within the same week that you hit max level, effectively trivializing all the content before that.
    Blizzard is not being very smart.
    I suppose this has some merit if you only play solo.

Personally, I tend to play WoW with friends/guildmates. If I'm leveling an alt, its almost always to play the alt's class/spec with said friends and guildmates. Its not to run old content over and over at level cap in order to play with them. I ran old shit while leveling.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardux View Post
    I suppose this has some merit if you only play solo.

Personally, I tend to play WoW with friends/guildmates. If I'm leveling an alt, its almost always to play the alt's class/spec with said friends and guildmates. Its not to run old content over and over at level cap in order to play with them. I ran old shit while leveling.
    See, the way you structured that sentence just reinforces what I said.

The design philosophy where only the latest patch is relevant and all the previous content is obsolete IS the problem.

You want to get to the latest content because the game makes you want to.
    All the weekly lockouts.

And I'm not even talking about leveling.
    Uldir, Crucible of Storms, Battle of Dazar'alor and Eternal Palace all became obsolete once Ny'alotha came out.

For example, in TBC all Tiers of raiding were relevant until the badge gear from Sunwell patch came out.
    In WotLK new characters would usually run Naxx before venturing deep into Ulduar until Trial of the Champion made both pointless.

MoP Timeless Isle is the best example of this - completely destroyed any purpose on running previous content.

Blizzard is making these aggressive catch-up mechanics, but not doing much to fix the progression system.
    Last edited by Nurvus; 2020-01-30 at 12:22 AM.
    Why did you create a new thread? Use the search function and post in existing threads!
    Why did you necro a thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Nurvus View Post
    For example, in TBC all Tiers of raiding were relevant until the badge gear from Sunwell patch came out.
    In WotLK new characters would usually run Naxx before venturing deep into Ulduar until Trial of the Champion made both pointless.

MoP Timeless Isle is the best example of this - completely destroyed any purpose on running previous content.

Blizzard is making these aggressive catch-up mechanics, but not doing much to fix the progression system.

Sadly though...the benefits of the catch-up gear VASTLY outweigh the negatives. The only negative is "oh now that raid is worthless and no one wants to see it" ..which for someone coming in late in BFA for example means "Oh I kinda wanted to see Battle of Daza'alor but I guess I'm not going to see it until people can solo it"

but then again people will also come in late seeing the last raid and thinking..well I'm never seeing that since I have to go through the other 2 raids and get geared before I even have an INKLING of a chance to see that. With smaller servers that might be hard to near impossible. Not even mentioning the problems with guild poaching and recruitment issues.

It's a no win scenario but the catch-up system we have loses..a bit less.