Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    housing is fastest and most obvious answer, as its easy to carry forward from expac to expac, next would be stories and quests that carry on which they seem to be trying to do, so we will see if they can pull it off.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Huh, guess ESO and FFXIV have died horribly... oh wait, no, they're growing.
    They aren't growing.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

Quote Originally Posted by Kanegasi View Post
    They aren't growing.
    Then I guess Yoshi p. Is just lying to everyone including investors when he said they had the largest concurrent subscriber numbers they've ever had

Final Fantasy XIV's crafting system where several professions are needed to help each other out to help create a steady economy between crafters, instead of primarily being Herbalists and Alchemy cause of flasks.

Final Fantasy XIV's general grand company system, where you earn stuff from doing dungeons, high and low, especially specs that are needed like tanks. With this, they should also adapt a new queue for high level players to join low level players in random queues.

Then I guess Yoshi p. Is just lying to everyone including investors when he said they had the largest concurrent subscriber numbers they've ever had
    Correct. Player housing is killing those games.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanegasi View Post
    Correct. Player housing is killing those games.
    Uhuh, so he's just nonchalantly breaking the law, cool to know that's how you think

10+ Year Old Account
    they should add region and server wide rankings in game, not just rating but wowprogress and warcraftlogs in game for many entertainment!

Quote Originally Posted by monkaTOS View Post

Ok, so obligatory "build a house" grind for better racials. I can already imagine the rage threads.

Again - obligatory grind for powerlevel. Big oof.

So even more obligatory grind in the next expac?

So in the end it was all for nothing? Just empty buildings and on with a new grind?

I think Blizzard are still struggling to remove the "wealth" that Garrison injected. I don't think we need another passive "wealth generator".

So a gold sink and rep grind to get one? And then you have to build it - and only then you can power up your racials... yeah.. how about no?

So phased out buildings? Don't you think that would look quite silly?

I think you're quite optimistic how dynamic the 15 year old WoW engine is? How often do you see them update assets in cities? Not very. Why do you think that is?
    In posts like this, unless it is a massive epic blog with detailed ideas, give the user the benefit of the doubt.

When you flesh out a system, you can tune it to be good.take your first objection: Build a city to get racials.. obviously that's not the intention here.

The idea is that during every progression cycle (i.e. expansion) there would be a system tied to your efforts .. in this particular case it was one that was boosting your cails for the duration of the season or the expansion.. As you build your capital you unlock certain features.

Your example above. I expanded on later, in another long post, which is what I was trying to avoid.

Now one of the features of building a capital for the expansion if you are a blood elf is empowering the sunwell. I already said the capital thing goes across multiple expansions and isn't tied to character progression. So you don't need to build your capital up to get improved racials. However in one expansion, one of the features of your capital Silvermoon is the Sunwell. Now like artifacts, you unlock the suwnell at the very start and while you progress throughout the expansions, and gain resources for building your capital, you will build your sunwell. now this could be a separate resource, or the resources could have 2 functions, it builds the sunwell (i.e. a talent path like artefact weapons with talents that boost both your spec and your race, which will go the next expansion) and also passively builds your capital.. grinding racial resources via the race campaign, will boost your character for the current system of that expansion, but also contributes to your city. The next expansion, the character boosting mechanism will be different, gear will reset, but your Capital is still there, you will have new racial campagins and gain new resources that will continue to build your capital even though your power level is reset and you have to build that again for the new level range.

this is just to give you a rough idea. The covenant system can be adapted to work for races too, this is instead of grinding for resources like AP, the covenant system is basically the race version, except these races are now in covenant, now what if instead of a covenant it was your character's race?

the point is, you can do something interesting that has a goal players want to build towards, but does so in an interesting way that has both short term and long term rewards.

if you are asking me to present an idea or system in a perfect way, I will not oblige, this will take a lot of effort, typing, and detailing, that's a developers job, they get paid for that. And they can do it in ways that are engaging, that work.

Uhuh, so he's just nonchalantly breaking the law, cool to know that's how you think
    Yes, a game is a living breathing entity and you should stop them from killing it.

Main Story Quest.

Blizzard can get with the program and put a little MMO into a quality RPG. No longer a need for the story to play second fiddle, others have done it, time for Blizzard to craft a better RPG where we look forward to updates continuing the story. Where quest / dungeon / raid content serves this goal, instead of the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    housing is fastest and most obvious answer, as its easy to carry forward from expac to expac, next would be stories and quests that carry on which they seem to be trying to do, so we will see if they can pull it off.
    That's what I thought, but as warcraft, you want something bigger, more impressive, it has to be out of the ordinary. Garrisons was an idea with a few tweaks and more activity coudl have worked for what it was.. what i'm suggesting here is more than that, and includes player housing.

If you're slowly building your racial capital and it's zone, having your payer hhouse as one of the new buildings can be a reward you can build on in time. As part of a city you build. And when I say build.. they've already designed the city at it's most developemtnt in art concept. every patch they desing a little bit of it in game, and you can use your resources to "unlock" it so to speak. Player housing is it's ow system where you can decorate, your house, add things like a garden and other features that arre totally self customisable.. the city is really fixed buildings you unlock, with you having some choice on what type of buildings to use for the area, so your capital on your screen would look different from that on your firends screen even though you're in the same place, the buildings are local to your computer.. now I'm going into detail.. these thigns are best shown in youtube video with some cool art. Ratehr than described.

Quote Originally Posted by monkaTOS View Post
    I'm not, rather I'm pointing out why your system would not work for WoW. It is extremely hard to connect meaningful gameplay to player housing while resisting the lure of connecting the feature into player power - and once you do, everything turns from "fun thing" into "obligatory grind".
    I believe I have a successful conceept that works. In this proposal, building your city up and getting your house isn't tied to player power.

however there is a system that's within it, but not necessarily linked to it that does provide player power for an expansion. The example i gave was Blood elves and the sunwell.

Race campaign - gives quests for race, you get resources
    Resources that build your city up - not power you
    Now during the story content, you unlock the power of the sunwell to boost it.
    The suwnell now, like an artifact weapon, directly affects your power level... You don't need to build up the city to power the sunwell. HOwever if you power the sunwell you're always building up the city.. every thing you do can contribute to buildnig up the city (this is open for change, it could be some specific things, it could only be crace campign quests or reputation.. team decides).
    THe idea is that yor activities can contribute to building your city. .you have to do something to build it. Whether its instances, questing, farming, pvp, you name it, Race campaigns are teh biggest source.

The sunwell system simply ties a power progression for your character into the current theme of the race, but one doesn't need the other.. You don't have to build your city to the max to get the most power for your character.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think where they need to start is making actual rotation-interacting-with-world features that are fun and sustainable long-term. And with that I mean features for anyone, but not necessarily a single feature for everyone.

After that I think we can talk about fluff features like housing and race/class quests.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

In my opinion, race campaigns would be great to tell stories for the different races. They don't have to be just for the core races in my opinion. And they are also a good opportunity to build up more very very needed new characters.

I have nothing against a good housing system. If something like that makes professions more relevant and interesting, i'm all for it.

I also would like to see the improved A.I. used more for World Bosses, Rare mobbs, named mobbs, for NPC factions who become really active on the map, not just staying around doing nothing, combined with open world events. They already invested in improved A.I. Why they don't seem to use it at all in Shadowlands, at least based on current information, is beyond me.
    Last edited by Reinhart11; 2020-01-26 at 01:22 PM.