Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Worthy good long term features blizzard shoudl adapt

Substantial things a player can continually work on/towards that don't get reset every expansion like power/levels do

Of the top of my head things like

1. Player housing
    2. Racial storylines
    3. Building Capital zones & cities

I understand why blizz has to reset gear progression fully every expansion and partly every patch, but they're not doing themselves any favours by leaving it at that - which basically tempts players to sub for a month, update their toons and wiat till next patch to sub. They need good, attractive long term things players find cool and exciting they can work on throughout their wow lifetime that doesn't get reset. I really thing

1. Race Campaigns
    2. Building up your race/capital city and zone over time should be it. (also includes your house)

E.g. 10.0 Starts massive race campaigns - based on the core races (allied races are part of a core race campaign storyline and progression). These quests do the following:

Advance the story of the race
    • Build resources towards the current expansions new system
    • Build resources that you can invest in your capital city and capital zone [basically blizzard can add wings and buildings to a city each patch that you can unlock. Designers already have art concept for full city and full restored zone, they work on a section of each city for each part, and in time city and zone get built up, restored.
    • Empower you and your race each expansion with different things (e.g. NElves: 1st expansion resources also empower Well of eternity, boosts racials and class abilities, next expansion it's Shaladrassil - each race has something.

They need to make housing involved with crafting. You earn recipes for furniture by getting revered/exalted with reps, random drops from raids/dungeons, achievements, random drops in world, etc just like in ESO or FF14. By killing mythic bosses you get trophies, getting gladiator in PVP earns you weapon/armor racks and accolades etc. It would add a whole new layer to the game like transmog did. It would also create demand for professions again. Old mats and content would stay relevant as well since popular/cool items would sell well.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2020-01-25 at 12:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    They need to make housing involved with crafting. You earn recipes for furniture by getting revered/exalted with reps, random drops from raids/dungeons, achievements, random drops in world, etc just like in ESO or FF14. By killing mythic bosses you get trophies, getting gladiator in PVP earns you weapon/armor racks and accolades etc. It would add a whole new layer to the game like transmog did. It would also create demand for professions again. Old mats and content would stay relevant as well since popular/cool items would sell well.
    Housing can have many systems I including crafting associated with it. Not only can they create a new secondary profession to fuel it, but all other professions can have items and features that can add to you house.

Your alts can either contribute to your existing house or you can generate a new one with them.

However for City building and zone growth, your race campaign would be the best source of resources to build your racial capital and purchase and upgrade your house building.

For a garden, you need herbalism for example..also classes can add features to your house or boost/ease the development of certain things...as this is a long term feature, it can pay to have alts of different classes. Races can be used in the sense that if you want Draenei architectural furnishings and features, they are much cheaper on a Drane mac level toon than they would be on a mother race, ie you get access to racial stuff at cheaper cost on your race.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    1. Why?
    2. Why?
    3. Why?

Why should Blizzard take your advice?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    1. Why?
    2. Why?
    3. Why?

Why should Blizzard take your advice?
    They shouldn't, wow would become too addictive, and things like that will casue me to constnatly play a game in my spare time instead of live.

Player housing has never been a good idea. Every game not centered on housing that has included it dies horribly. It's why the Garrison was so neutered in what it could be. Please stop asking for it, there are games designed to customize a house you can play.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

They shouldn't, wow would become too addictive, and things like that will casue me to constnatly play a game in my spare time instead of live.
    None of what you said sounds interesting at all. We've already had campaigns (class, war) and I don't see how a race campaign would be any different. Player housing would simply be yet another thing for collectors to do, while giving nothing to the rest of the playerbase.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then why would you suggest it?

I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanegasi View Post
    Player housing has never been a good idea. Every game not centered on housing that has included it dies horribly. It's why the Garrison was so neutered in what it could be. Please stop asking for it, there are games designed to customize a house you can play.
    Huh, guess ESO and FFXIV have died horribly... oh wait, no, they're growing.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Then why would you suggest it?
    Because I'm thinking about it, and I'm lovign the idea of it. I'm posting it here, not on any official blizzard fansite, so I obviously am not posting for their attention.

This is a place fans talk about their desires, wishes, dreams for their favourite game, as well as ask questions, discuss features, lore, moan, praise - basically anything to do with warcraft that they like.

WHere else am I to post it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kanegasi View Post
    Actually, it depends on what you do with it. I don't know if what you're saying is accurate, but obviously there are a lot of people for whom the grind fest to gain better gear to push more content is not what they want most oout of the game. Some poeple enjoy doing things like building up, or an in-game version of life to varying extents.

If you can provide that in addition to the usual standard of quality and type of content you give, you'll get many interested parties.. if you can do it in a way that beautifully ties into their gameplay and progression then all the better.

Notice what I am proposing here. Race campaigns, building a capital and zone with resources, thigns that you can look forward to achieving, show a sense of achievement not tied to your characters level that acna last through expansions.

Currently, you have nothing serious to show whether you have played 3 weeks or 15 years -- that's really not good. Now imagine if you had race campaigns, aand had a story and lore each patch, that ofc rewardded you for your current character progressionsbut also was the amin source of resources you could use to help your race build its capital up and also ti's zone with new towns etc - now this doesn't happen over night, we are taling over the lifespan of the game, so it keeps growing, even when the city is large, you can do things in the zone, and then at sometimes newr and nicer buildings come out you can add.

Race campaigns, like in legion class campaigns, always require you to go to your city - gives your city a use. You pick up the quests there that take you all over. As your city gets bigger, like Suramar, you start getting campaigns that have quests in the city outside the sanctuary area, so there isalways something to do.

You don't just build your city, you empower your race too. Getting more buildings and progressing along the race talent tree, does things like makes your race NPCs stronger, whenever you're around your races NPC are stronger, in faction campagins, and scenarios that use NPCs this can be very beneficial. Another feature has many of the standard alliance or horde NPCs replaced by your races NPCs.

You get talents that boost your characters' racials and give you more things to that
    You unlock quests to further empoer e.g. Nigthborne/Night elves - utilise the Well of Etnerity, blood elves strenthen the sunwell, Draenei - the aTam'al crstysls etc, every race has something, and this can feed directly into yyour characer power level, next expansion they'll switch to someting else, last expasnion the night elves got the Well of Etenrity going for them, this expansion they're utilising Shaladrassil etc (now the parts that relate to character power obivously will reset next expansion, but your buildings will still be there and you woudl get to add more the next expansion, obviously as new patches and expansions come you'll get new race quests and features, but things like NPC power, developing your city/zone, those stay forever, and also help generate wealth for you, because you've put the time in and it's not reset.

What I'm saying, is there are ways to make it work

As for player housing in all this? Easy, if you're building up your capital city, you are at some point going to be influential, welathy and honoured enough to be given a building or able to purchase one.

Face it, if you're palying expansion in, expansion out, and you had currency that could produce somethign that didn't.

Wow has a unique set up, and ou need things that can fit that set up. Obviously since character power has to reset hard every expansion and has a soft reset every patch, you have to find other things, like zones perma changing after you've finished quests, seeing the result of them being fixed, so when you visit them in the future when blizzard places new mobs, well if ou've done the zone, it could look quite nice, not to mention every time you go to your capital city it's much more developed.

The buildings are local to you, but you share the space with other players, if your city has expanded 5 miles into the country on your progression, the other person wwho hasn't won't see those buildings, but they'd see you running around in the fields on their screen, whiles on yours its totally developed. If they group with you in you, they can see your stuff.

it's not the only way to do it, for example, player housing could actually be new towns and cities in capital zones, where every hosue thatis there is actually a player house and is stored on the server.. when the village grows to a town, then to a city and reaches a certain size, then new houses are available to start in another location. This way the players drive the cities. Players can also sell their houses to other players, buy houses from NPCs etc.. all sorts of things.

10+ Year Old Account
    WHere else am I to post it?
    You dont really want me to answer that, do you?

which basically tempts players to sub for a month, update their toons and wiat till next patch to sub. [I][B]They need good, attractive long term things players find cool and exciting they can work on throughout their wow lifetime that doesn't get reset. I really thing
    They used to have something in place that worked extremely well, it was called a clear gear progression path without over abundant and over zealous catch up mechanics. It made expansions last all expansion long instead of just 1 month of a patch before everything was done. You couldn't sub for a month then wait for your next patch because gear didn't flow like candy. You did the content, which lasted until the next bit of content, and if you ever "fell behind" it was fine, there were others doing the same exact content at your same exact speed. They didn't try to make a game for everyone, and therefore no one.

Long term goals aren't a bad idea, but you have to remember, it also means more development time put towards those exclusively instead of general, overall content. We're up to 23 races now, that means 23 storylines or else "F you Blizz, you ignored my race again!" Likewise it would mean just rotating races in and out for the sake of adding them to the stories.

Same goes for player housing; A good idea in theory, but one that would have to be sustained long term and one that already has existed in one form (garrisons) and been a flop, by both player and Blizzard standards. They'd basically be a rehash of those; single instances for each player that they'd just sit in demanding more and more features for them.

These are dreams for a game that is dead. WoW right now is just a game that looks like that game where these things would be awesome in.. but now just has beat the clock and who can beat the raids faster and fastest in mind. Outside of those windows and activities its just there to hopefully get enough people to stick around so those things can continue. It is working.

10+ Year Old Account
    Housing and good feature in same sentence. ha
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Player housing will just make the world feel even more empty, but they could use the cities somehow, bilgewater & gilneas are criminally underused, what a waste of resources they were, i have no idea what the cata team was thinking.

1 Player housing is the single most overrated idea. Blizzard took a shot at it in WOD and failed miserably. I hate the idea. But, I do understand a lot players love the idea. As long as player housing is not tied into character progression in any shape or form, despite hating the idea why not.

2-Great idea. Lore with greater depth can only be a good thing.

3- Big cities in any given MMO is usually a HUGE waste of assets (time and labor). Not much is done in the city, no quests, no progression and not much else other than sitting on a mount complaining. Just an overall bad idea unless there is a way someone can deliver more purpose and practicality into Cities.

2. Racial storylines
    i think expanding capitols is a bit useless, theres couple of them and people still use 1-2 per faction, so it would either be compulsory, and people would hate it, or unnecessary, and people would do it only if theres some usefull reward, and after they got it they wouldnt bother...

as for racial storylines, they would either be doable for all race of the faction, which would seem weird, or they would be doable only by said race, which would be HUUUGE waste of resources... or they would be extremely short, so they would only be long term if they are extremely timegated, which people hate...

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Substantial things a player can continually work on/towards that don't get reset every expansion like power/levels do

Of the top of my head things like

1. Player housing
    2. Racial storylines

I understand why blizz has to reset gear progression fully every expansion and partly every patch, but they're not doing themselves any favours by leaving it at that - which basically tempts players to sub for a month, update their toons and wiat till next patch to sub. They need good, attractive long term things players find cool and exciting they can work on throughout their wow lifetime that doesn't get reset. I really thing

1. Race Campaigns
    2. Building up your race/capital city and zone over time should be it. (also includes your house)

E.g. 10.0 Starts massive race campaigns - based on the core races (allied races are part of a core race campaign storyline and progression). These quests do the following:

Advance the story of the race
    • Build resources towards the current expansions new system
    • Build resources that you can invest in your capital city and capital zone [basically blizzard can add wings and buildings to a city each patch that you can unlock. Designers already have art concept for full city and full restored zone, they work on a section of each city for each part, and in time city and zone get built up, restored.
    • Empower you and your race each expansion with different things (e.g. NElves: 1st expansion resources also empower Well of eternity, boosts racials and class abilities, next expansion it's Shaladrassil - each race has something.
    Liked your ideas. And yes, blizzard should take notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    i think expanding capitols is a bit useless, theres couple of them and people still use 1-2 per faction, so it would either be compulsory, and people would hate it, or unnecessary, and people would do it only if theres some usefull reward, and after they got it they wouldnt bother...

as for racial storylines, they would either be doable for all race of the faction, which would seem weird, or they would be doable only by said race, which would be HUUUGE waste of resources... or they would be extremely short, so they would only be long term if they are extremely timegated, which people hate...
    But why is it useless? Sometiems people only think based on what they've seen.

What makes any zone or area useless or useful? Is it not what happens in there? What it's used towards? Whawt it's about and what it can be utilised.

Now Thunderbluff if it's just a vendor hub is pointless being large or built from a funcitonality point of view.. but from an art, immersion, fantasy.. it's quite necessary. However, if Thunderbluff also had a raid, and a large section taht was a major quest hub, , throw in an instance, including it's sanctuary area.. now we're talkingof something thathas value both functionally and aesthetically as well as meaning.

Now throw in that you can actually improve thunderbluff over time, your tauren racial quests keep you going back to the city, and send you out in to different areas (including the new expansios's contintent on missions about the Tuarne, to aid the tauren and progress the tauren lore.). now those resources you can use to build more buildings, open new places that in the guture in future tauren race campaigns woudl also have quests, not ot emntion building up Thunderbluff empowers tauren npcs wheneve ryou're about, and also bosots your racials, it has a talent tree just like Azerite necklace, like GArrisons, like artifact power and like your character.

NOw.. if this was how cities were done, I would say they would be the most valuable and prized possession.

Now if you love thunderbluff architecture , the fantasy and it's fatnasy culture, you'ere gonna love having to go back there often, enjoy it's zones, and it's going to add significantly to your pleasure and drive to play.. not only are you bosoting your character to do cool tings, but you can improve htunderbluff continuously. doesn't matter if you have a blodo elf toon, an orc toon, ifyou decide that your Tuaren toon is what all your races are going to serve itno because you want to progress the Tauren the most, then you go for it.

Please tell me how this would be useless?

ANd as for waste of resources, again. please tell me how you're going to make a 15 year old game more interesting, and do a long term progression system that is not based on character power, especially wehn you have a fantatical community ath atactually is very interested in the lore of the races.. you desinged your game to make things feel individuual to your race, and consequently your fantasy has inspired many people. They constantly ask about wha't s happening with the taruen, give us more lore.. this shows tehre is a high demand forpeople for the races they play. It's worth actually doign something meaningful.

Once you realise this is a sensible thing to do, you then look at ways of doing it well but efficiently .. not to oefficiently becuase then everythign become blog standard, but you can't go super extravagant either ecuase of time and resources.

So you have 23 odd races atm.. do 23 campagins and 23 cities? No. Pair every allied race with a core race for starters, and weave their campaigns together because every core race has an allied race that is part of its racial storyline, even thos tha tare in opposite factions.. don't let that deter, you, make it work (i can think of 3 ways of the top of my head, that you can have Blood elves and void elves have the same campaign, and contribute to the same city. Rather than build 2 for each. Even if they're in opposite factions, there are stories that you can tell that brings them to at least share a home and have a campaign, even if sometimes or all the time one group is working to undermine or take out the other.. afterall it doesn't have to be all friendly like it is if both allied races are on the same faction. A campaign expands the lore, give you insight to whats going on, progresses the stories of the races from where you last saw them, and factors in world events and changes as they keep buildng towards a fturture.

do you know one of the most attractive things about wow's lore wise? Is that things keep moving. A massive even t isn't the end of the stoyr, after yo got your sunwell back and saved Quel'thalas, it wasn't THE END, you can actually witness the blood elves grow in strength, regain some of their former power and glory, face new challenges, do new exploits, you can enjoy the victory the touching story of the previous expansion gave you.

Nothing else in entertainemtn has this perpetual contiunation factor atm.. this is entirely unique and this company is squandering fascinating things they could do as the frontrunner for the genre. It's so silly, but hey, i'm just a fan, and when I like something, I get very creative. Lord of the Rings endedafter RotK.. you saw no more. you have no idea whether the dwarves recovered, the fate of the lves, did the hobbits develop? Did Numenor rise again? was that the end of troubles? When people are hooked into a world, they crave to see more.. it's the same with star wars.. in an mmorpg, you can show so much more.. but this company only values gameplay.. an important thing, but the lore, this is what brings the following and catapults you on to the global scene.

If wow had inviested in it's lore like SWTOR did with wow's own success, you'd have 12 million subs not only crazy about your game, but so into your story because it was well presented. Instead it came in text bosses, (this is 21st century) no speech, no effort to even make the zone stories at least be enggaging and speak to the palyers.. nope.. if it had, you could guaratnee that much more than a fraction would have been intrested in your books, your comics etc

Then you put out oa movie or a tv series, like books, it would have been an instant success. Even those who stopped playing would watch the film or the tv series or buy the book if your story was good.

We know great stories sell very well, look at GoT, LotR and countless other hits, and they don't even have games.

But despite having world cass digital artists, some of the best in the games system development, world cass musciioans for your score, they decided that you didnt' need a serious team for lore, either that or squandered the talents of the people you had by not making room for investing in the story decently.

They constantly ask about wha't s happening with the taruen, give us more lore..
    this is just pulled out of your ass or you have something to prove it? bcs ive never heard or read anyone ask things like that...

as for any features that could be put into racial hubs/zones, they could be also put into NEW zones, at the fraction of resources as you could have one for each faction instead of race, and actualy have people SEE IT...
    tauren are played by roughly 4.5%, highmountain (which i assume you would put to TB too) are played by 0.9%
    ( https://www.worldofwargraphs.com/global-stats/races )
    so any racial content made for them wouldnt be played/seen by almost 95% players... thats like a definition of WASTE of resources...