Page 1 of 92
1
2
3
11
51
... LastLast
  1. #1
    Banned Ihavewaffles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    The spice must flow!
    Posts
    4,398

    Post [TV] Disney+ Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi

    Plot undisclosed. Stand-alone spinoff feature from the Star Wars franchise centering on Obi-Wan Kenobi.
    Star: Ewan McGregor
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8466564/

    “I want it to be about the work. I want to be a good director, not a good female director, not a good Asian director.” -Deborah Chow



    Obi-Wan Kenobi Series at Disney Plus Loses Writer, Seeks to Overhaul Scripts

    https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/obi...203477858/amp/
    Elaine Low and Joe Otterson
    January 23, 2020 4:44PM PST

    Pre-production on the Obi-Wan Kenobi-focused TV series in the works at Disney Plus has been put on hold as the streamer and Lucasfilm look to overhaul early scripts and find new writers, sources tell Variety.

    Hossein Amini had been attached to write. The news follows recent talk that the entire series was being scrapped altogether.

    Ewan McGregor confirmed last August that he would be reprising the role of Obi-Wan Kenobi in the series, and Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy had said then that “we have all the scripts written” and that shooting was slated to begin in 2020. McGregor played the Jedi in three “Star War” prequels; after years of speculation that he might reprise the role for a standalone film, the less-than-stellar response to standalone spinoff film “Solo” reportedly dampened those efforts.

    Deborah Chow, the director who helmed part of Jon Favreau’s “The Mandalorian” series on Disney Plus, had been tapped to direct the Obi-Wan series. Chow and McGregor are still attached to the project.

    Disney did not respond to requests for comment.

    This is not the first Disney Plus “Star Wars” TV project to see a major overhaul behind the scenes. Variety reported exclusively in October that the planned “Rogue One” prequel series starring Diego Luna as Cassian Andor brought in the film’s credited co-writer, Tony Gilroy, to work alongside showrunner Stephen Schiff. Gilroy is now set to write the pilot for the series in addition to directing multiple episodes.

    And just a few weeks ago, as Variety exclusively learned, “Lizzie McGuire” creator Terri Minsky stepped away from her role as showrunner on the upcoming revival of the Disney Channel classic starring Hilary Duff.

    Collider first reported the news of the hiccup in the Obi-Wan series.
    Dunno what was in that script, but maybe they can make a story based on this novel?


    Kenobi: Star Wars Legends
    by John Jackson Miller

    Tatooine-a harsh desert world where farmers toil in the heat of two suns while trying to protect themselves and their loved ones from the marauding Tusken Raiders. A backwater planet on the edge of civilized space. And an unlikely place to find a Jedi Master in hiding, or an orphaned infant boy on whose tiny shoulders rests the future of a galaxy.

    Known to locals only as "Ben," the bearded and robed offworlder is an enigmatic stranger who keeps to himself, shares nothing of his past, and goes to great pains to remain an outsider. But as tensions escalate between the farmers and a tribe of Sand People led by a ruthless war chief, Ben finds himself drawn into the fight, endangering the very mission that brought him to Tatooine.

    Ben-Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi, hero of the Clone Wars, traitor to the Empire, and protector of the galaxy's last hope-can no more turn his back on evil than he can reject his Jedi training. And when blood is unjustly spilled, innocent lives threatened, and a ruthless opponent unmasked, Ben has no choice but to call on the wisdom of the Jedi-and the formidable power of the Force-in his never-ending fight for justice.
    In July 28 a book called "Star Wars: From the Journals of Obi-Wan Kenobi" will come out


    Star Wars: From the Journals of Obi-Wan Kenobi is an upcoming trade paperback collection, that collects comic book issues

    Obi-Wan has slowly adjusted to his life of exile on Tatooine, secretly protecting young Luke Skywalker. But now injustice reigns as villainous scum run rampant, extorting moisture farmers and wreaking havoc. Will "Old Ben" risk revealing himself to do what's right? And when Jabba the Hutt hires a bounty hunter to fi nd out who's been thwarting his men, Obi-Wan must take on the galaxy's deadliest Wookiee, Black Krrsantan! Plus, years earlier, when Obi-Wan was still a Padawan, Master Yoda found himself trapped on a savage world with a hidden power. Yoda must learn the secret of the stones - and his struggle in the past will aff ect Luke in the present! And can Obi-Wan save a young Tusken Raider?

    COLLECTING: STAR WARS (2015) 7, 15, 20, 26-30; MATERIAL FROM STAR WARS (2015) 37
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2020-01-27 at 09:00 PM.

  2. #2
    I just can't understand how Kathleen Kennedy can continue in the head of Star Wars considering nearly all of her projects have been management disasters (whatever the outcomes are is different matter). And on this she outright lied if this is a script issue because she said the scripts were already done. (And by that extent one would safely assume approved)
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

    "People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

  3. #3
    I get the feeling a lot of SWs problems will get better once Kennedy is gone. She just doesn't seem to understand how to run a franchise on a universe level. Rather seems more focused on everything as primarily a single project that only shares a name. People forget but Marvel went though this too even though most people probably "don't count them" because it's just easier that way. We remember and love all the things that happened once they got their act together and drew out a big plan for the universe. Eventually it will come together for Star Wars too. It will probably get better once they don't have to conform or betray people on every decision like they have had to with the movies they have chosen to build from first.

  4. #4
    Can they finally fire Kathleen Kennedy? Yes she is a female, but when you fail so hard at your job and put a succesfull franchise in a downward trent then you should face the consequences.

  5. #5
    Supposedly the crew (for the tentative summer shots) was sent home, so I doubt production starts this year.
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2020-01-25 at 05:52 PM.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by tromage2 View Post
    Can they finally fire Kathleen Kennedy? Yes she is a female, but when you fail so hard at your job and put a succesfull franchise in a downward trent then you should face the consequences.
    Well she made the money back and then some. I don't like most of what she's done from a creative standpoint and maybe if some of it were better it would have made more money, but I don't think you can say she "failed so hard."

    https://www.fool.com/investing/2019/...or-disney.aspx

  7. #7
    The Unstoppable Force Kaleredar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    phasing...
    Posts
    24,196
    “Kathleen Kennedy is rushing things and doesn’t take time to develop stuff properly! She’s just trying to push her narrative!”

    *show gets delayed to resolve creative issues*

    “Kathleen Kennedy is delaying these things too much! It’s clear from the hiatus that she has no overarching vision!”

    *people think TLJ/rise of sky walker are disappointing*

    “Kennedy’s fingerprints are ALL over this! It’s obvious she has too much control and doesn’t know what to do!”

    *the mandalorian comes out and is almost universally beloved*

    “Thank GOD they’re not letting Kennedy touch this one! Its quality obviously means she has zero involvement.”


    Good god, Kennedy isn’t writing the scripts to these films. She’s not the director or screenwriter or editor. She’s not the reason your snoke theory was incorrect or why Luke didn’t fling all the at-ats into the sun or whatever other reason you think TLJ ruined your childhood. I also highly doubt she, personally, gave JJ the “palpatine MUST return, or ELSE!” story beat that was the major stumbling block for ROS.

    As for the obj-wan show... let them take their time and make it good. This doesn’t seem to be like solo where they had filmed a huge chunk of the movie and had to basically reshoot the entire thing whilst switching out directors.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Good god, Kennedy isn’t writing the scripts to these films. She’s not the director or screenwriter or editor. She’s not the reason your snoke theory was incorrect or why Luke didn’t fling all the at-ats into the sun or whatever other reason you think TLJ ruined your childhood. I also highly doubt she, personally, gave JJ the “palpatine MUST return, or ELSE!” story beat that was the major stumbling block for ROS.

    As for the obj-wan show... let them take their time and make it good. This doesn’t seem to be like solo where they had filmed a huge chunk of the movie and had to basically reshoot the entire thing whilst switching out directors.
    She is the producer. It's HER work to make sure all this works like well oiled machine. All of this has been management disaster in many ways.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

    "People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

  9. #9
    Banned Ihavewaffles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    The spice must flow!
    Posts
    4,398
    Some speculations its too similiar to Mandalorian, maybe cuz of baby luke n leia might be in n disney didn't predict reaction to baby yoda..
    I feel like a douche playing devil's advocate for kathleen, but maybe script was like that..

    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2020-01-27 at 08:14 PM.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Some speculations its too similiar to Mandalorian, maybe cuz of baby luke n leia might be in n disney didn't predict reaction to baby yoda..
    I feel like a douche playing devil's advocate for kathleen, but maybe script was like that..
    Then Kennedy is a liar.

    "“We have all the scripts written, and we’re ready to go next year, we can’t wait to start production,” said Kennedy."

    She supposedly knew all about scripts, they were written and so forth. Suddenly the scripts she approved were canned?
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

    "People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

  11. #11
    The Unstoppable Force Kaleredar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    phasing...
    Posts
    24,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    She is the producer. It's HER work to make sure all this works like well oiled machine. All of this has been management disaster in many ways.
    I'd say the only real flummoxes they had were Solo and RoS.

    Some fans might not have liked The last Jedi. But it was still a tremendous financial AND critical success. And even though I, and many other people including critics, thought ROS was disappointing... I'd pin most of that on JJ, honestly, and it's still going to make over a billion dollars.

    Other than that? Mandalorian? Huge critical and fan hit. TFA? Huge critical, fan and financial hit. Rogue One? A solid critical, fan and financial success.

    Speculatively, I'd say that there WAS an initial vision, at least in JJ's head, for the sequel trilogy, with the force awakens being what it was, and then the second film being probably what was covered in the first half of ROS and a few story beats from TLJ and then the third being the end of RoS. Something like that. But JJ decided not to direct the second film (he wasn't removed from it, he chose not to do it. Was Kennedy going to "force" him to?) Carrie Fisher passed away in the middle, AFTER the second film had finished shooting. JJ decided to come BACK for the third film and it's obvious from his choices that he wanted to kind of "redo" the parts of TLJ that didn't match up. Again... is Kennedy responsible for JJ fumbling that one?

    You can argue that Kennedy shouldn't have let those things happen... I guess. But is your retort, then, that she should have been even MORE draconian on forcing directors to follow her singular vision? Isn't that most everyone's problem with her? Because honestly, from what I saw between TFA, TLJ and ROS... I'd say the directors were given a great deal of freedom to do what they wanted. And in the case of ROS, that majorly bungled up the finale for the trilogy.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2020-01-25 at 06:58 PM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I'd say the only real flummoxes they had were Solo and RoS.

    Some fans might not have liked The last Jedi. But it was still a tremendous financial AND critical success. And even though I, and many other people including critics, thought ROS was disappointing... I'd pin most of that on JJ, honestly, and it's still going to make over a billion dollars.

    Other than that? Mandalorian? Huge critical and fan hit. TFA? Huge critical, fan and financial hit. Rogue One? A solid critical, fan and financial success.

    Speculatively, I'd say that there WAS an initial vision, at least in JJ's head, for the sequel trilogy, with the force awakens being what it was, and then the second film being probably what was covered in the first half of ROS and a few story beats from TLJ and then the third being the end of RoS. Something like that. But JJ decided not to direct the second film (he wasn't removed from it, he chose not to do it. Was Kennedy going to "force" him to?) Carrie Fisher passed away in the middle, AFTER the second film had finished shooting. JJ decided to come BACK for the third film and it's obvious from his choices that he wanted to kind of "redo" the parts of TLJ that didn't match up. Again... is Kennedy responsible for JJ fumbling that one?

    You can argue that Kennedy shouldn't have let those things happen... I guess. But is your retort, then, that she should have been even MORE draconian on forcing directors to follow her singular vision? Isn't that most everyone's problem with her? Because honestly, from what I saw between TFA, TLJ and ROS... I'd say the directors were given a great deal of freedom to do what they wanted. And in the case of ROS, that majorly bungled up the finale for the trilogy.
    I was talking about management of the projects, not the quality of the movies. Outside of TFA and TLJ every other SW project she has been involved in as a producer has been a clusterfuck. Constant shifting of directors, rewriting scripts, extensive re-shoots, massive amounts of drama behind the screen
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

    "People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

  13. #13
    Banned Ihavewaffles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    The spice must flow!
    Posts
    4,398
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Then Kennedy is a liar.

    "“We have all the scripts written, and we’re ready to go next year, we can’t wait to start production,” said Kennedy."

    She supposedly knew all about scripts, they were written and so forth. Suddenly the scripts she approved were canned?
    I agree, lots of babies in those shows, she should have said time out earlier..
    Me, I don't want to see luke n leia too much, minimal, and no maul, for me he died in phantom menace, only reason for me he was in the shows is cuz there's less restrainment in shows...they are free to do crazy stuff..

  14. #14
    The Unstoppable Force PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ██████
    Posts
    24,515
    Wow, you guys really hate Kennedy. Hardly any news about the project is you, what you do know is rumors/speculations/misleading from a limited perspective and the pitchforks are out!

    If SW is consistent on anything, its metadrama.

    For all we know Kennedy could be the sole reason why a Kenobi project has been revived. Remember when all future projects were off the table and the series was supposed to go on hiatus?

    The woman is neither SW God or the SW Devil. Chill or be consistent with the criticism. Either she ruined SW or is responsible for the success its had since Disney acquired it...or the franchise is bigger than one person.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post

    Edit: here’s the other issue. Kenobi is a great character, don’t get me wrong, but all this series is doing is filling in a gap in his timeline. It’s not going to change anything about his larger story.

    To me the obvious path seems to be Kenobi-Maul II as the big finish to this series. That’s fun, I have no problem with it. But again all it does is add a bit of meat to a part of the original story. It doesn’t lay any groundwork for future events. The only thing that I’ve seen that does do that is baby Yoda, and not surprisingly that’s the place where people are happy with Star Wars.
    Everything in-between the movies is just fleshing out details. It might not be your thing but a lot of people ask for it. Remember SW at its core is nine movies that show little glimpses of time from the PoV of a few characters. Theres tons of stories to tell in that 50 year period alone. Rushing to put out anything post-TROS is a bad idea.

    Resident Cosplay Progressive

  15. #15
    Over 9000! Kathranis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    9,239
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    For all we know Kennedy could be the sole reason why a Kenobi project has been revived.
    There's no reason to revive the Kenobi project in the first place if they don't know what the fuck they're going to do with it. This has been one of the most consistent and recurring problems with the Disney Star Wars franchise so far.

    How many times to do we need to hear about projects being retired, revived, rehired, rewritten, reshot, before someone says, "Hey maybe we should stop green lighting projects without a concrete plan and vision?"

    Obviously she's not solely to blame but the buck stops with her when it comes to starting and staffing projects and with the exception of the stuff Favreau and Filoni have been directly involved in, every single Disney Star Wars project has been plagued by this shit.

    They've been throwing spaghetti at the fucking wall for nearly a decade and nothing is sticking. They shelved most of these projects for a good reason, and they need to keep them shelved if they don't know what they're going to do with them. The Mandalorian being a success isn't a good enough reason to just start green lighting a bunch of random shit again.

    The fact that Kenobi is already in this position bodes ill. It really does. Which is a shame because Deborah Chow was responsible for arguably the best episodes of The Mandalorian and Ewan McGregor's Obi-Wan was one of the best parts of the prequels.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Wow, you guys really hate Kennedy. Hardly any news about the project is you, what you do know is rumors/speculations/misleading from a limited perspective and the pitchforks are out!
    Nearly every production she has been producer of regarding Star Wars has been a management clusterfuck. It's not rumours, it's not speculation, it's a fact. This is just another one on the long list of them by now. And this one comes with the fact she herself put her face in saying how the scripts are all good and ready to go for shooting but now suddenly there's script issues.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

    "People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

  17. #17
    The Unstoppable Force PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ██████
    Posts
    24,515
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Nearly every production she has been producer of regarding Star Wars has been a management clusterfuck. It's not rumours, it's not speculation, it's a fact. This is just another one on the long list of them by now. And this one comes with the fact she herself put her face in saying how the scripts are all good and ready to go for shooting but now suddenly there's script issues.
    I know people have their opinions, especially on this site, but only of those projects actually bombed - that project still broke even. I'm not trying to defend the lady, I really don't care if she stays or goes. I'm just trying to view this objectively. It's rare for a major project not to go through rewrites, reshoots, production signing on and off, etc.

    No board would fire her at this point.

    Rebels - $$$
    Resistance - $

    TFA - $$$
    TLJ - $$$
    TROS - $$

    Rogue One - $$
    Solo - 1/2$

    Mandalorian - $$$$

    Clone Wars - (they can safely cash the check for it now)

    Hate her, love her, whatever. She has made Disney a lot of money.

    Resident Cosplay Progressive

  18. #18
    Kathleen Kennedy's biggest problem is that she inexplicably hired JJ Abrams. I better producer would've picked somebody with some talent. He delivered the exact movie I thought he would and I'm baffled that Kennedy didn't see this coming.

  19. #19
    Banned Ihavewaffles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    The spice must flow!
    Posts
    4,398
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Hate her, love her, whatever. She has made Disney a lot of money.
    No, the brand star wars made disney money, she only ensured they made a lot less than it should have.
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2020-01-27 at 07:42 PM.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Hate her, love her, whatever. She has made Disney a lot of money.
    So did Michael Bay transformers franchise.
    You need to understand tho that transformers, Star Wars gain alot of money from the build up world that alrdy got made.
    Star Wars had 3-4 generations of a fanbase when Disney bought the franchise it should crush Marvel numbers since it has the bigger following.

    they kept Micheal Bay in charge of transformers to the point that the franchise is damaged to a point of no recovery.
    Keep Kathleen Kennedy running LucasFilm and the same will happen to Star Wars, and maybe it alrdy crossed that line.
    Last edited by tromage2; 2020-01-27 at 06:11 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •