Page 14 of 92 FirstFirst ...
4
12
13
14
15
16
24
64
... LastLast
  1. #261
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    Great two episodes, although the finale bit with the Grand Inquisitor was gringe as hell knowing he will survive anyways thanks to Rebells. Also, anyone else noticed that they showed specifically Mace Windu in the "what happened in episode 1-3" prologue? Why bother with that if he isn't appearing in the series?
    It could have just been to give context to when Anakin was describing Obi-Wan. "He's as wise as Master Yoda and as powerful as Master Windu" or something to that effect. Of course I found it weird that they felt they had to give a complete run down of the prequel trilogy, as if the vast majority of people watching the series aren't already intimately familiar with the story. They certainly didn't seem to feel the need to do so for Boba Fett, who is relatively obscure in comparison. Nevermind them just throwing Luke into the Mandalorian out of nowhere (again, relatively speaking).

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by fakaroonie View Post
    What weirded me out is the struggle to use the Force, as if he hasn't used it since forever. Why can't he still practice it in the cave alone?
    Because using it could be a red alarm for other force users searching for him. It's one of the reasons Yoda hid on Dagobah, because it cloaked his presence without forcing him to go cold turkey.

  2. #262
    I am Murloc! Darththeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Posts
    5,773
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Cubed View Post
    Yeah, I just don't think "closely guarded secret" means you think it means. People not caring enough to look into it != closely guarded secret. Someone being sensitive about their history != closely guarded secret.

    Now if you could show intentional redactions in galactic databases, people being executed after helping bring him back/implant his cybernetics, anyone being executed who even just accidentally learned about it, and literally just because they learned about it, then you'll see evidence of a "closely guarded secret."

    Vader being Anakin was just uncommon knowledge. Not a secret.
    Luke being Anakin's son was just uncommon knowledge. Not a secret.
    Rey being a Palpatine was just uncommon knowledge. Not a secret.

    Literally, anything kept secret in Star Wars don't meet your standard of closely guarded secret save Leia's parentage, not Luke's. There was no reason to announce Anakin died to the Galaxy as the 501st knows he was there at the Temple.

    And someone being sensitive about their history and actively fighting against people who claim Anakin alive kind of does point to it being a secret.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

  3. #263
    Pit Lord Lady Atia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    The Rumour Tower
    Posts
    2,356
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    But what if he shows up? Jedi can survive fall damages.
    Yeah, that was my point haha. I just didn't dare to say it loud.


  4. #264
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Luke being Anakin's son was just uncommon knowledge. Not a secret.
    Rey being a Palpatine was just uncommon knowledge. Not a secret.
    Cool, now you're catching on.

    Edit: Particularly regarding Luke. I mean, literally anyone who was interested would have no problem finding him. They brought him to live with his own fucking uncle, for fuck's sake.
    Last edited by Infinity Cubed; 2022-05-27 at 07:57 PM.

  5. #265
    Pit Lord Lady Atia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    The Rumour Tower
    Posts
    2,356
    Quote Originally Posted by fakaroonie View Post
    I mean that would be so satisfying, to know that he's dead or something.

    What weirded me out is the struggle to use the Force, as if he hasn't used it since forever. Why can't he still practice it in the cave alone?

    Also, would be great if they expand on Qui-gon and Force ghosts, and how Obi-wan is 'training' for it.
    We will 100% see/hear Qui-gon, they already set it up both with that prologue and the first episode.

    And yeah, the Grand Inquisitor survives of course, and they also showed Maul getting cut in half but surviving, so I don't see why Mace shouldn't have survived his fall.

  6. #266
    I don’t know why it’s a surprise that random Inquisitor #3 is better than the others. Disney has shown over and and over they are not going to give you the series about or who you want. She is going to end up being as or more important than Obi Wan by the end.

  7. #267
    I am Murloc! Darththeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Posts
    5,773
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Added notes Vader's 'reveal'. Reva knowing doesn't actually contradict anything. There's nothing that says ONLY xyz people knew at that point or that the Empire was actively surpressing the information. You'd have to be pretty smart to figure it out but people didn't know simply because they had no reason to connect Anakin to Vader after Anakin was declared dead and Vader having no discernable origin like a lot Imperials. Vader himself was sort of a hidden figure, he wasn't a particularly public figure. He'd would show up, kill shit, and disappeared - survivors left with trauma and accounts taken with grains of salt. No one is really asking Reva questions, she doesn't get along with other Inquisitors, and we know she dies, so it's not the question is why she didn't spill the secret to a bunch of people.

    Now consider that Obi didn't even know the name of the Empire's top enforcer (he didn't know Vader is Vader), you can assume people really aren't thinking of Vader or Anakin. The point on the timeline is when Vader really starts to become a menace and not just someone simply in the favor of Palpatine.


    Obi leaving Tatt is a bigger "controversy", even though that's not a problem either.
    Minor annoyance =/= problem. I fully expect explanations. The canon established that Vader viewed Anakin as "dead" so people just knowing is odd. Other characters that know find out through various means. Now, they could be taking something from the old Legends where Vader early on would reveal to Jedi he was about to killed he was Anakin Skywalker before ending them.

    Also, just a comment. Tatooine isn't under Empire control, they are outer rim and in the episodes shown characters are literally telling the Inquisitors they do not have jurisdiction. So, it is entirely possible that Obi-wan did not hear about Vader as he tended to keep to himself and hide in a cave. In Legends, he found out Vader was alive via a newscast shortly after the events of RotS.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Cubed View Post
    Cool, now you're catching on.

    Edit: Particularly regarding Luke. I mean, literally anyone who was interested would have no problem finding him. They brought him to live with his own fucking uncle, for fuck's sake.
    Yeah, I am catching on you have no understanding of the concept of a secret. The Death Star was a secret Battle Station, but by your logic, can't count as secret because too many people knew.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

  8. #268
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Yeah, I am catching on you have no understanding of the concept of a secret. The Death Star was a secret Battle Station, but by your logic, can't count as secret because too many people knew.
    Wrong.

    And that's a wonderful example, thank you. You know, the secret where its construction location was taking place (to this day, I believe that's still a secret), and whose plans were hidden away and protected in a secret database on a heavily fortified planet/base. Which required a team of secret agents to go in, infiltrate, and liberate said secret from said base at the cost of their own life, because it was being so heavily protected. And which, after it did escape, the Empire put their best hounddog--Vader--on to go hunt it down in an attempt to keep it a secret.

    Hell, just that the rumor of the secret existing got out and had people hunting for that shows how much of a secret it was.

    Yeah, that definitely counts as a secret.

  9. #269
    Not to me that guy, but can we get a [Spoilers] tag in the title.

    This just started streaming and I missed that. I saw nothing yet here, but others might come here and not realize that there could be potential spoilers.

    Or could posters use the tags if they are commenting on the episodes.

  10. #270
    I am Murloc! Darththeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Posts
    5,773
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Cubed View Post
    Wrong.

    And that's a wonderful example, thank you. You know, the secret where its construction location was taking place (to this day, I believe that's still a secret), and whose plans were hidden away and protected in a secret database on a heavily fortified planet/base. Which required a team of secret agents to go in, infiltrate, and liberate said secret from said base at the cost of their own life, because it was being so heavily protected. And which, after it did escape, the Empire put their best hounddog--Vader--on to go hunt it down in an attempt to keep it a secret.

    Hell, just that the rumor of the secret existing got out and had people hunting for that shows how much of a secret it was.

    Yeah, that definitely counts as a secret.
    And by this logic, Vader being Anakin is a secret.

    Essentially, you are arguing "I get to call whatever I want a secret for whatever reasons I want."
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

  11. #271
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    And by this logic, Vader being Anakin is a secret.
    Wrong.

    Do I really need to explain it to you again?

    Feel free to show some evidence of where the Empire was suppressing this information. Scrubbing information, murdering anyone who knew, etc. That would be indicative of a secret. Me not knowing who you are in real life because I DGAF doesn't make your identity a secret.

    It's not rocket science. It's just you not being able to deal with the fact that you're wrong and moving on.
    Last edited by Infinity Cubed; 2022-05-27 at 08:22 PM.

  12. #272
    I am Murloc! Darththeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Posts
    5,773
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Cubed View Post
    Wrong.

    Do I really need to explain it to you again?

    Feel free to show some evidence of where the Empire was suppressing this information. That would be indicative of a secret. Me not knowing who you are in real life because I DGAF doesn't make your identity a secret.
    YOU DO NOT NEED TO SUPPRESS THE INFORMATION FOR SOMETHING TO BE SECRET OR A CLOSELY GUARDED ONE. I don't have to prove it was "suppressed" because Leia's parentage is kept secret but the knowledge isn't suppressed by anyone. Luke's parentage is a secret because they don't advertise he is the son of a Jedi, most people will just assume he was the son of that guy who won a race. Not really worth noting beyond that for the backwater world of Tatooine.

    And no, me not actively sharing who I am in real life is what makes it secret. You have it ass backwards.
    The fact the Empire put out officially that Anakin Skywalker is dead is all that is needed to prove that Anakin Skywalker being Vader is a secret. And the fact canonly Vader has pushed back against people saying he is Anakin is evidence he is guarded of that secret.

    Again, the standard you apply for secret makes literally nothing a secret. So when you claim something is a secret it is solely because you say it is.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2022-05-27 at 08:24 PM.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

  13. #273
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    YOU DO NOT NEED TO SUPPRESS THE INFORMATION FOR SOMETHING TO BE SECRET OR A CLOSELY GUARDED ONE.
    Wrong.

    They have a word for it. It's "ignorance." Secret has its own meaning.

    "Secret, n. something that is kept or meant to be kept unknown or unseen by others." A secret requires the information to actively protected by some measure.

    "Ignorance, n. lack of knowledge or information." That speaks for itself.

    Learning the difference will serve you well in life.

    And no, me not actively sharing who I am in real life is what makes it secret. You have it ass backwards.
    Wrong again. My not knowing or caring who you are doesn't make it a secret. It makes you anonymous, at best. (Which has its own definition, just as an side. Feel free to look it up if you don't believe me.)

    Again, the standard you apply for secret makes literally nothing a secret. So when you claim something is a secret it is solely because you say it is.
    Wrong yet again. I even gave you an example (well, technically, you gave the example and I just pointed out how wrong you were still yet again) with the Death Star's plans.

  14. #274
    I am Murloc! Darththeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Posts
    5,773
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Cubed View Post
    Wrong.

    They have a word for it. It's "ignorance." Secret has its own meaning.

    "Secret, n. something that is kept or meant to be kept unknown or unseen by others." A secret requires the information to actively protected by some measure.

    "Ignorance, n. lack of knowledge or information." That speaks for itself.

    Learning the difference will serve you well in life.


    Wrong again. My not knowing or caring who you are doesn't make it a secret. It makes you anonymous, at best. (Which has its own definition, just as an side. Feel free to look it up if you don't believe me.)
    You know, it is nice to know you didn't read the definition you copied.

    Nothing in that definition requires anything to be activity done BESIDES not sharing it openly.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2022-05-27 at 08:30 PM.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

  15. #275
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    You know, it is nice to know you didn't read the definition you copied.

    Nothing in that definition requires anything to be activity done BESIDES not sharing it openly.
    "Kept unkonwn" and "meant to be kept unknown" are both active terminology.

    Is English not your first language? That would explain a lot.

  16. #276
    I am Murloc! Darththeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Posts
    5,773
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Cubed View Post
    "Kept unkonwn" and "meant to be kept unknown" are both active terminology.

    Is English not your first language? That would explain a lot.
    You can keep something unknown by simply not openly sharing it. You are assuming it requires more than that.

    My teapot is kept in cabinet. Does that mean I am actively locking it in the cabinet or is it passively sitting on a shelf in it?

    Also, don't comment on my understanding when you failed to read your own provided definition correctly
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2022-05-27 at 08:34 PM.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

  17. #277
    The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    20,134
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Cubed View Post
    Yeah, I just don't think "closely guarded secret" means you think it means. People not caring enough to look into it != closely guarded secret. Someone being sensitive about their history != closely guarded secret.

    Now if you could show intentional redactions in galactic databases, people being executed after helping bring him back/implant his cybernetics, anyone being executed who even just accidentally learned about it, and literally just because they learned about it, then you'll see evidence of a "closely guarded secret."

    Vader being Anakin was just uncommon knowledge. Not a secret.
    People are regularly killed for looking into Vader's past normally by vader him self.

    there's also stuff like this around vader's past being a secret. https://64.media.tumblr.com/542474a882ee773674fa86121e6879ad/tumblr_p4w4t4KIfh1sq4537o1_1280.jpg
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2022-05-27 at 08:52 PM.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

  18. #278
    Pandaren Monk
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Scottishlands
    Posts
    1,976
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelle View Post
    Obi Wan was filmed in May 2021
    Had to look it up, she is born June 2012, so you right. She just looked much younger than a 10 year old to me. Guess she just super tiny.
    It's not that uncommon. I was very small as a child, and still am at a glorious 5ft 4 (163cm). I always looked far younger than I was.

  19. #279
    i really dug tiny leia. she had a great presence.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

  20. #280
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    People are regularly killed for looking into Vader's past normally by vader him self.

    there's also stuff like this around vader's past being a secret.
    *snip*
    Yeah, any of them inquisitors? You know, many of whom were Jedi who turned after Order 66?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •