Page 14 of 89 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    YOU DO NOT NEED TO SUPPRESS THE INFORMATION FOR SOMETHING TO BE SECRET OR A CLOSELY GUARDED ONE.
    Wrong.

They have a word for it. It's "ignorance." Secret has its own meaning.

"Secret, n. something that is kept or meant to be kept unknown or unseen by others." A secret requires the information to actively protected by some measure.

"Ignorance, n. lack of knowledge or information." That speaks for itself.

Learning the difference will serve you well in life.

And no, me not actively sharing who I am in real life is what makes it secret. You have it ass backwards.
    Wrong again. My not knowing or caring who you are doesn't make it a secret. It makes you anonymous, at best. (Which has its own definition, just as an side. Feel free to look it up if you don't believe me.)

Again, the standard you apply for secret makes literally nothing a secret. So when you claim something is a secret it is solely because you say it is.
    Wrong yet again. I even gave you an example (well, technically, you gave the example and I just pointed out how wrong you were still yet again) with the Death Star's plans.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Cubed View Post
    Wrong.

They have a word for it. It's "ignorance." Secret has its own meaning.

"Secret, n. something that is kept or meant to be kept unknown or unseen by others." A secret requires the information to actively protected by some measure.

"Ignorance, n. lack of knowledge or information." That speaks for itself.

Learning the difference will serve you well in life.

Wrong again. My not knowing or caring who you are doesn't make it a secret. It makes you anonymous, at best. (Which has its own definition, just as an side. Feel free to look it up if you don't believe me.)
    You know, it is nice to know you didn't read the definition you copied.

Nothing in that definition requires anything to be activity done BESIDES not sharing it openly.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2022-05-27 at 08:30 PM.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    You know, it is nice to know you didn't read the definition you copied.

Nothing in that definition requires anything to be activity done BESIDES not sharing it openly.
    "Kept unkonwn" and "meant to be kept unknown" are both active terminology.

Is English not your first language? That would explain a lot.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    "Kept unkonwn" and "meant to be kept unknown" are both active terminology.

Is English not your first language? That would explain a lot.
    You can keep something unknown by simply not openly sharing it. You are assuming it requires more than that.

My teapot is kept in cabinet. Does that mean I am actively locking it in the cabinet or is it passively sitting on a shelf in it?

Also, don't comment on my understanding when you failed to read your own provided definition correctly
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2022-05-27 at 08:34 PM.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I just don't think "closely guarded secret" means you think it means. People not caring enough to look into it != closely guarded secret. Someone being sensitive about their history != closely guarded secret.

Now if you could show intentional redactions in galactic databases, people being executed after helping bring him back/implant his cybernetics, anyone being executed who even just accidentally learned about it, and literally just because they learned about it, then you'll see evidence of a "closely guarded secret."

Vader being Anakin was just uncommon knowledge. Not a secret.
    People are regularly killed for looking into Vader's past normally by vader him self.

there's also stuff like this around vader's past being a secret. https://64.media.tumblr.com/542474a882ee773674fa86121e6879ad/tumblr_p4w4t4KIfh1sq4537o1_1280.jpg
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2022-05-27 at 08:52 PM.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelle View Post
    Obi Wan was filmed in May 2021
    Had to look it up, she is born June 2012, so you right. She just looked much younger than a 10 year old to me. Guess she just super tiny.
    It's not that uncommon. I was very small as a child, and still am at a glorious 5ft 4 (163cm). I always looked far younger than I was.

i really dug tiny leia. she had a great presence.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    People are regularly killed for looking into Vader's past normally by vader him self.

there's also stuff like this around vader's past being a secret. https://64.media.tumblr.com/542474a8...537o1_1280.jpg
    Again, "ignorance" != a "closely guarded secret." And also again, please show me all the evidence of people being murdered exclusively for trying to learn who Darth Vader is/was.

I don't know who this mysterious Lorgar Aurelian is. It must be a closely guarded secret no one knows, and should anyone investigate the matter, they will doubtlessly be murdered for their insolence. OooOOooOohh. I mean, sure, any moderator could look at their IP address, email, and other contact information, but pfft pfft pfft, closely guarded seeeeeeeecret...

As an aside, you want to know someone who's identity actually is a closely guarded secret? Banksy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Icon View Post
    i really dug tiny leia. she had a great presence.
    Absolutely. She's effectively the new Baby Yoda, I'd wager. Love the spunkiness.

I'm just really happy they incorporated her into the story, and as a key component of it. I had always wondered why she knew of Obi-Wan and trusted him with the Death Star Plans in the first movie, and it looks like we're finally getting a canonical answer to it.
    Last edited by Infinity Cubed; 2022-05-27 at 10:35 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Yeah, any of them inquisitors? You know, many of whom were Jedi who turned after Order 66?
    Killed for looking into vader? No I don't think so.

I don't believe any of them ever look into vader and the only one's I can think of him killing were a couple who fall in love and wanted to ditch the whole inquisitor thing.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

7+ Year Old Account
    Again, "ignorance" != a "closely guarded secret." And also again, please show me all the evidence of people being murdered exclusively for trying to learn who Darth Vader is/was.

I don't know who this mysterious Lorgar Aurelian is. It must be a closely guarded secret no one knows, and should anyone investigate the matter, they will doubtlessly be murdered for their insolence. OooOOooOohh. I mean, sure, any moderator could look at their IP address, email, and other contact information, but pfft pfft pfft, closely guarded seeeeeeeecret...

As an aside, you want to know someone who's identity actually is a closely guarded secret? Banksy.
    The people in the picture are Imperial admirals with clearance high enough to get into the emperor's own command lines and send out orders from them and they couldn't find even a hint of who Vader was, there was literally no info on him any where in the Empire with only the emperor's circle of bald girl and blue spiked dude knowing.

as for people being murder exclusively for finding out who he was, here.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not surprised the die hard Star Wars nerds have issues with the show. The majority who just find Star Wars fun to watch without going neckbeard deep into lore seems to enjoy it a lot.

So far the first two episodes have better writing and acting than episode 4, 5 and 6 combined so I'm looking forward to the rest.
    Hi

7+ Year Old Account
    In other words, the arguments that she shouldn’t know he’s Anakin are just head canon. Got it.
    um I already said earlier that it's possible for inquisitive people to figure it out and listed several examples of other characters who did. That's not at all at odd's with vader killing people who find info on him or it being kept a secret in the empire.

10+ Year Old Account
    The people in the picture are Imperial admirals with clearance high enough to get into the emperor's own command lines and send out orders from them and they couldn't find even a hint of who Vader was, there was literally no info on him any where in the Empire with only the emperor's circle of bald girl and blue spiked dude knowing.

Youre ignoring the context of that panel. That's new Vader who was told by Palpatine to assert his dominance as a Sith and enforcer. At the same time Imperials did not respect or fear Vader. Vader was deleting anyone and everyone who irritated him.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

See below. Context is a hell of a drug. Or more correctly, taking things out of it is.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Youre ignoring the context of that panel. That's new Vader who was told by Palpatine to assert his dominance as a Sith and enforcer. At the same time Imperials did not respect or fear Vader. Vader was deleting anyone and everyone who irritated him.

Mostly functional but unclever, with clunky dialogue.

Good:
    -Reva is being excessively cruel for no particular reason to (what she thinks) are randos. The guy from the Fast and the Furious pulls her aside, away from the crowd (1) and chews her out for being excessively cruel for no particular reason to randos.
    -Child Leia was an excellent actress in a franchise not known for its child acting.
    -owen:"I didn't do it for you." It's the little moments that sting.

The Mediocre
    -Grand Inquisitors introduction: isn't there a better way to deliver this info without explaining it to some rando in a bar?
    -Grand Inquisitor/Reva fight: seems contrived he would try to knock her down a peg when the guy whose capture will give them a 2000 Space Buck bonus from Lord Vadar is right fucking there.
    - Obi Wan doesn't want anything to do with the Jedi. He doesnt intervene to help the guy who got stiffed. He tells the other Jedi to fuck off. Then he wants to train Luke? I get that's his only priority, still seems a tad emotionally inconsistent to me that in one scene Obi Wan emphasizes "the fight is over", then wants to train Luke to be a Jedi...to what end? It feels a Luke in the Last Jedi would be apposite here as a starting point for Obi Wan, a guy who has given up on the Jedi and is running out the clock in some cave.
    -Leia thinking Obi Wan was a bad guy felt like it happened for no other reason so he could save her with the Force.

(1) it's a pet peeve of mine when oppressive baddies trying to look intimidating start arguing in front of the locals because the film crew didn't realize this looks bad, and you should go somewhere private first- so good job for not doing that!
    Last edited by Finlandia WOAT; 2022-05-28 at 12:25 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Are you talking about the Imperial admirals or the storm trooper?

Because the storm troopers aren't him asserting any dominance that would be this earlier page The page where he kills the rest of the storm troopers is followed directly by this one where he tells the emperor he failed his mission hiding that it was deliberate, obviously there isn't gonna be any respect or fear from "failing" his mission.

If you mean the admirals then you would be correct that they didn't respect or fear and given that they couldn't find any info on him they didn't think he should be in the position he was which lead to vader figuring that out and telling the emperor that he wanted to make an example and then him making said example.

- - - Updated - - -

See below. Context is a hell of a drug. Or more correctly, taking things out of it is.
    see my reply, nothing is taken out of context Pacox is just wrong.

7+ Year Old Account
    I don’t even know what your point is at this juncture. Care to state it plainly?
    Vader kills people for finding out/looking into him being Anakin skywalker, Him being Anakin skywalker was a secret in the empire with there being no records of Vader's past at all with only the emperor's two assistances knowing who he was and some other's like Thrawn/Tarkin suspecting but never confirming.

That of course doesn't mean its impossible for people to figure it out and not be killed by vader which has happened a few time's and I listed some examples in this post.

7+ Year Old Account
    Right, your point isn’t a point then. You’re literally arguing for both sides of the discussion being had.
    Um, no not at all.

Something being kept a secret doesn't stop being kept a secret because some one else figures it out all on there own.

Nor does Vader regularly killing people for finding out said secret not happen because he fails to kill Amara, He may still kill the hand maiden and merc the last vader issue ends on the skywalker cliff hanger.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you talking about the Imperial admirals or the storm trooper?

Because the storm troopers aren't him asserting any dominance that would be this earlier page The page where he kills the rest of the storm troopers is followed directly by this one where he tells the emperor he failed his mission hiding that it was deliberate, obviously there isn't gonna be any respect or fear from "failing" his mission.

If you mean the admirals then you would be correct that they didn't respect or fear and given that they couldn't find any info on him they didn't think he should be in the position he was which lead to vader figuring that out and telling the emperor that he wanted to make an example and then him making said example.

- - - Updated - - -

see my reply, nothing is taken out of context Pacox is just wrong.
    Thumbed through that entire series to refresh my memory.

So yeah those troopers were killed because he was trying to keep the whole mission under wrap. I wouldn't say it's because she named him but because he was irritated and they then knew too much about his mission. He could not kill her but he could punish her and they were her punishment.

He does kill troopers earlier in the series because he basically feels like killing them instead talking things out.

Not mad at having an excuse to look through that series again. It's extremely relevant to the show and I think it's still free with Amazon Prime if people want to read it.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2022-05-27 at 11:56 PM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

7+ Year Old Account
    Thumbed through that entire series to refresh my memory.

So yeah those troopers were killed because he was trying to keep the whole mission under wrap. I wouldn't say it's because she named him but because he was irritated and they then knew too much about his mission. He could not kill her but he could punish her and they were her punishment.

He does kill troopers earlier in the series because he basically feels like killing them instead talking things out.
    He isn't keeping the mission under wraps there are more troopers that saw her and there fight and her capture then the one's on that ship,The grand inquisitor also knew she was there and fought her, He didn't even know why he was on the mission until she tells him what the emperor would do with the data crystal, and most Importantly he kills her right after killing them before telling the emperor that she did it and destroying the crystal.