Page 58 of 92 FirstFirst ...
8
48
56
57
58
59
60
68
... LastLast
  1. #1141
    The Insane Kathandira's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ziltoidia 9
    Posts
    18,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    I mean, you're not wrong, but you can still see where other movies have performed similar attacks while doing a much better job in the representation. The scene at the end of Serenity where the crew is holed up waiting for the incoming reaver barrage comes to mind. So while I'll agree in the spirit of what you are saying, I'll also say it's very lazy writing/directing.
    This is the way.

    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

    Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

  2. #1142
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    I mean, you're not wrong, but you can still see where other movies have performed similar attacks while doing a much better job in the representation. The scene at the end of Serenity where the crew is holed up waiting for the incoming reaver barrage comes to mind. So while I'll agree in the spirit of what you are saying, I'll also say it's very lazy writing/directing.
    Of course, aesthetics are debatable. Not every creative vision works, or even turns out the way it was originally conceived. I'd hesitate to call this "lazy", though. They had plenty going on. To suggest that with a pretty large battle and elaborate sets someone went "you know what I can't be bothered just crash them all into each other or something whatever I don't know" seems more than a little superficial.

  3. #1143
    The Unstoppable Force PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ██████
    Posts
    24,537
    Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    I mean does it matter where/how she was stabbed.. people have be cut in 2 in survived in the SW universe, survived being blasted in space, and flying back to a ship.
    It does matter but not for the reasons people are complaining about. It's funny, telling, that the complaints are completely missing the storytelling that took place in that scene.

    Vader purposely recreated the the scene of Order 66. Vader, loving his jokes, stabbed her in the same spot.

    The crowd complaining likely missed didn't appreciate Vader's joke in Rogue One, how he dangles a guy on the ceiling during the hallway scene, the numerous one-liners throughout the OT or even as Anakin.

    Anakin/Vader is is subtly one for drama and theatrics. It's been a part of his character from the beginning - purposely in contrast to his brutal. Anakin still exists under the mask even in a horrific way.

    Resident Cosplay Progressive

  4. #1144
    The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    DS9
    Posts
    20,134
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Vader purposely recreated the the scene of Order 66. Vader, loving his jokes, stabbed her in the same spot.
    That's rich to assume Anakin remembered a little girl out of hundred he killed and connected the dots to Reva.

    What we saw were HER memories. She experienced Anakin again. PTSD. But this time he actually stabbed her.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2022 - that's two-zero-two-two, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of double-masked tripple-jabbed sissies who stand with Ukraine.

  5. #1145
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    That's rich to assume Anakin remembered a little girl out of hundred he killed and connected the dots to Reva.
    So when a character literally says he remembers, that's an "assumption" on everyone's part now?

    You people really do love redefining words around here.

  6. #1146
    The Unstoppable Force PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ██████
    Posts
    24,537
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post

    Reva's backstory and motivation are a little nonsensical to me.
    Its the standard 'blinded by vengeance' trope. It exists in many stories, you can even see it mirrored in real life. Someone is hurt/wronged and falls through the cracks. The go on a one-way path of revenge against those who hurt/the believe hurt them. Often paired with a irrational mindset/course of action that could be fixed if they pause for a moment. Maybe they don't want to, though.

    I think the only part of her character that I didn't care for but I can get over is that Vader presumably knew of her of her origins (that in itself isn't the problem, it's similar to the othet Inquisitors) and allowed her to get close enough to the GI to almost kill him...they just kind of lucked out that her blow against the GI wasn't fatal.


    Using her as bait and all that makes sense if Obi was always the end game.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    That's rich to assume Anakin remembered a little girl out of hundred he killed and connected the dots to Reva.

    What we saw were HER memories. She experienced Anakin again. PTSD. But this time he actually stabbed her.
    He acknowledged her...

    Resident Cosplay Progressive

  7. #1147
    The Insane Kathandira's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ziltoidia 9
    Posts
    18,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    That's rich to assume Anakin remembered a little girl out of hundred he killed and connected the dots to Reva.
    Fairly sure I recall him stating that he remembers her as a youngling.

    Now I have to go back and find the timestamp since youtube videos i've found only capture the fight, and not the dialog.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

    Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

  8. #1148
    The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    DS9
    Posts
    20,134
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Cubed View Post
    So when a character literally says he remembers, that's an "assumption" on everyone's part now?

    You people really do love redefining words around here.
    The character literally didn't say he remembers.

    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post


    He acknowledged her...

    You are just inferring a lot from "youngling". Most (and I say most because I cannot claim ALL with 100% certainty) inquisitors were younglings. And they certainly found Reva in the gutter with the dead bodies among which she was hiding.
    To which GI was referring.
    It is rich to assume Vader remembered her the same way SHE remembered him. She was just "another youngling" he swinged a lightsaber at.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Fairly sure I recall him stating that he remembers her as a youngling.

    Now I have to go back and find the timestamp since youtube videos i've found only capture the fight, and not the dialog.
    No, he just said "Did you really believe I didn't see it, youngling?" obviously referring to her betrayal.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2022 - that's two-zero-two-two, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of double-masked tripple-jabbed sissies who stand with Ukraine.

  9. #1149
    The Insane Kathandira's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ziltoidia 9
    Posts
    18,334
    Just watched the scene.

    [Vader wins the duel, and thrusts his saber into Reva's chest.]

    [Flashback scenes from when Reva was a youngling in the temple.]

    Timestamp: 32:43 "Did you really believe I did not see it, youngling?"

    "You, are of no further use"

    [Enter Grand Inquisitor and storm troopers]

    The combination of the flashbacks, followed by Vader calling her "younglind" implies that he is well aware of who she was/is.

    Following that moment, the Grand Inquisitor says:

    "Hello, Third Sister"
    "Revenge does wonder for the will to live, don't you think?
    "Your rage was useful, Now it is tiring"

    This part could be seen in two ways. That the GI is talking about himself since this is the reveal that he survived. But also can be seen as him talking about Reva's rage and thirst for revenge.
    Last edited by Kathandira; 2022-06-16 at 08:27 PM.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

    Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

  10. #1150
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    001100010010011110100001101101110011
    Posts
    21,535
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    To you? Never.


    "Approximately 10-20% of patients who have sustained a spinal cord injury do not survive to reach acute hospitalization, whereas about 3% of patients die during acute hospitalization.

    Originally the leading cause of death in patients with spinal cord injury who survived their initial injury was renal failure, but, currently, the leading causes of death are pneumonia, pulmonary embolism, or septicemia. Heart disease, [18, 19] subsequent trauma, suicide, and alcohol-related deaths are also major causes of death in these patients"

    It says what I say. Cannot read futher.

    Fennec was shot in the gut, Cobb was shot in the chest, Grand Inquisitor was stabbed in the gut, Reva was stabbed in the heart. All different injuries. Keep up!

    That guy was crushed below hip. He got a better deal than Maul. Completely irrelevant case, because, you know, hip is where the spine ends.

    You do know the heart isn't in front of the spinal cord right?
    I have a fan. Seems he was permabanned.
    Yo, don't mind my "street talk"

  11. #1151
    The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    DS9
    Posts
    20,134
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    You do know the heart isn't in front of the spinal cord right?
    You do know there's google?
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2022 - that's two-zero-two-two, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of double-masked tripple-jabbed sissies who stand with Ukraine.

  12. #1152
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    The character literally didn't say he remembers.
    He literally did. There's even a shared flashback as they both recall the moment, and then he proceeds to stab her in exactly the same way.

    Your inability to understand the scene does, however, match up with pretty much all the other garbage you've been spewing about exploding spines (still LOLing at that one by the way) and not knowing where a heart is located. So yeah, this checks out perfectly well.

    But of course, you're the only one saying it and everyone else is telling you're wrong, so ergo, you MUST be right. Right? Riiiiiight....

  13. #1153
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    001100010010011110100001101101110011
    Posts
    21,535
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    That's rich to assume Anakin remembered a little girl out of hundred he killed and connected the dots to Reva.

    What we saw were HER memories. She experienced Anakin again. PTSD. But this time he actually stabbed her.
    He made that clear when he called her "youngling".
    I have a fan. Seems he was permabanned.
    Yo, don't mind my "street talk"

  14. #1154
    The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    DS9
    Posts
    20,134
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Cubed View Post
    He literally did.
    Oooooo-kaaaaaaaay
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2022 - that's two-zero-two-two, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of double-masked tripple-jabbed sissies who stand with Ukraine.

  15. #1155
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    001100010010011110100001101101110011
    Posts
    21,535
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    You do know there's google?
    it's slightly to the left a hit to the center of the heart will miss the spinal cord.
    I have a fan. Seems he was permabanned.
    Yo, don't mind my "street talk"

  16. #1156
    The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    DS9
    Posts
    20,134
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    He made that clear when he called her "youngling".
    That just means he knows the source of inquisitors, and why she betrayed him. He didn't see any memory flashes. She did.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    it's slightly to the left a hit to the center of the heart will miss the spinal cord.
    Come on. Seriously. You don't need to hit the geometric center of the heart to hit the heart.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2022 - that's two-zero-two-two, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of double-masked tripple-jabbed sissies who stand with Ukraine.

  17. #1157
    The Insane Kathandira's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ziltoidia 9
    Posts
    18,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    You do know there's google?
    That image isn't "exactly" correct. A portion of the heart is in the center of the chest, but most of it is a bit to the left.

    That said, a laser sword through the center is sure to hit part of the heart, and the heat alone would basically destroy anything around the "blade" of the saber, which includes the rest of the heart.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

    Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

  18. #1158
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    001100010010011110100001101101110011
    Posts
    21,535
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Come on. Seriously. You don't need to hit the geometric center of the heart to hit the heart.
    You said a hit to the heart HAD to severe the spine too. That isn't true.
    I have a fan. Seems he was permabanned.
    Yo, don't mind my "street talk"

  19. #1159
    I am Murloc! Darththeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Posts
    5,773
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    The character literally didn't say he remembers.




    You are just inferring a lot from "youngling". Most (and I say most because I cannot claim ALL with 100% certainty) inquisitors were younglings. And they certainly found Reva in the gutter with the dead bodies among which she was hiding.
    To which GI was referring.
    It is rich to assume Vader remembered her the same way SHE remembered him. She was just "another youngling" he swinged a lightsaber at.
    Inquisitor with known highest Jedi Rank:

    Grand Inquisitor - Former Jedi Knight
    Trilla - Former Padawan
    Reva - Former Youngling

    All other Inquisitors Jedi status are unknown if they were a youngling, padawan, or knight.

    So, you can't realy say "most" because only one didn't have a rank higher than youngling. You can say there were likely younglings given their ages, but they could have been Padawans.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

  20. #1160
    The Insane Kathandira's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ziltoidia 9
    Posts
    18,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    That just means he knows the source of inquisitors, and why she betrayed him. He didn't see any memory flashes. She did.
    Unless her flashback includes a 3rd person perspective, he also saw in her eyes the same youngling he saw in the temple. There is in that scene a flashback to her looking up at him, and also a shot of him looking down at her.

    Could just be for the drama of the scene, but i'm gonna stand firm that he knows who she was.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

    Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •