Page 71 of 92 FirstFirst ...
21
61
69
70
71
72
73
81
... LastLast
  1. #1401
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    We just have to accept that whatever writers write is right.
    When you're arguing about things that objectively happened on screen, yes...the writers are right. Can Superman lift a kryptonite island into space, when he has been shown to be debilitated by tiny rocks of the stuff? Yes. Can Tony Stark survive being knocked out of flight by a tank shell, when physics dictates that he should be turned to jelly inside his armor? Yes. Can people survive being impaled (and cut in half) by lightsabers, even though such a thing is usually depicted as fatal? Yes. Get over it.

  2. #1402
    The Lightbringer Sanguinerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Knowhere
    Posts
    3,637
    Wonder when is Disney going to announce the Reva spin-off show, I mean that was the point of this right..

    Doubt the last episode can fix the show so I'm glad when it's over wednesday.
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

  3. #1403
    The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    DS9
    Posts
    20,146
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    When you're arguing about things that objectively happened on screen, yes...the writers are right.
    I rest my case.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2022 - that's two-zero-two-two, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of double-masked tripple-jabbed sissies who stand with Ukraine.

  4. #1404
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    I rest my case.
    Good. Go post about another show you don’t understand.

  5. #1405
    I am Murloc! Darththeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Posts
    5,934
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Good. Go post about another show you don’t understand.
    Do you really want him to do that?
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

  6. #1406
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    I rest my case.
    You don't have a case. You have a hissy fit of bullshit.

  7. #1407
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Do you really want him to do that?
    If it keeps him from posting here it’s a small improvement.

  8. #1408
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Reva wanted grand.inq to survive? Cool story, bro
    Inquisitor let himself be wounded, probably at Vader’s behest. What didn’t make sense is that she was able to even touch him at all. She was persistently shown to be a weaker force user than any other Sith. Either her hatred and rage makes her stronger or it didn’t. Turns out it didn’t.

  9. #1409
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Literally all of Star Wars has had massive plot holes and issues.
    The funny thing is that I suspect you defended those plot holes as well. Keeping in mind, most of the plot holes are due to Lucas changing his mind as he was going along, not caring about prior continuity, while most of us complained at the time these plot holes were created, about the problems it created for the plot.

    I mean, do you enjoy plot holes in your stories? As hard as you defend and excuse them, it seems like you think they are a good thing.

    We're basically saying, I don't like 'x', because plot hole, and you are like, "these plot holes are OK because precedence".

    "Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

  10. #1410
    The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    20,421
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    The funny thing is that I suspect you defended those plot holes as well. Keeping in mind, most of the plot holes are due to Lucas changing his mind as he was going along, not caring about prior continuity, while most of us complained at the time these plot holes were created, about the problems it created for the plot.

    I mean, do you enjoy plot holes in your stories? As hard as you defend and excuse them, it seems like you think they are a good thing.

    We're basically saying, I don't like 'x', because plot hole, and you are like, "these plot holes are OK because precedence".
    Rather you enjoy them or not you kinda have to accept that starwars is fundamentally built on them going all the way back to the OT and that’s unlikely to ever change.

    if plot hours are a huge issue to some one starwars hasn't ever been the franchise for them.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

  11. #1411
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    73,217
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    The funny thing is that I suspect you defended those plot holes as well. Keeping in mind, most of the plot holes are due to Lucas changing his mind as he was going along, not caring about prior continuity, while most of us complained at the time these plot holes were created, about the problems it created for the plot.

    I mean, do you enjoy plot holes in your stories? As hard as you defend and excuse them, it seems like you think they are a good thing.

    We're basically saying, I don't like 'x', because plot hole, and you are like, "these plot holes are OK because precedence".
    There's a difference between "accepting and not taxing my brain overthinking about" and "defending".

    They're amusing idiosyncracies. It's Fridge Logic, a term basically coined by Hitchcock (he used the term "icebox", but it's the same thing).

    And I'll point back to one of my earlier points; if these kinds of things ruin Star Wars for you, you're telling me you don't like Star Wars, because it's all always been ruined for you. Which, again, no judgement, but plenty of people do enjoy it despite this stuff. We get caught up in the narrative and don't let it bother us later that week where we're digging through the fridge and think "hey, wait a minute . . ."

    I've definitely complained about things in Star Wars. It's weird that it's so consistently and casually and intentionally pro-slavery, for instance. But those complaints are more about core themes I have an issue with, not inconsistencies between two different films, or something. I also don't seek out inconsistencies; if there's a charitable interpretation that could justify the portrayal, I presume that's the interpretation I'm expected to go by. This goes even if Character A says "X is true" and Character B says "X is false and you'd have to be dumb to think it's true". That's not a "plot hole". The charitable interpretation is that one (or more) character is lying or wrong (or both!), within the context of the narrative itself. Because characters aren't omniscient and infallible, generally.

    But here, with Kenobi, we're not really dealing with plot holes. Why did Bail Organa leave an incriminating message? Because he's kind of a nonce. Why did Leia in ANH not talk about knowing Kenobi? Maybe she's being cagey. Sure, she mentions Bail again, but if she's smart, Bail Organa's Rebel affiliations may be well-known (explaining why they obliterate Alderaan, since it's a WEE bit of an overreaction if it was seriously all about Leia), and dropping the intel she knows isn't a secret as a cover for the real secret she's not talking about (that she knows Kenobi personally) is justifiable. Especially when she knows she's about to be grabbed by Vader himself, who she'll know has a hate on for Vader after the events in the show. There's the "charitable interpretation". No need to consider it a "plot hole" or "inconsistency". Were the writers thinking this precisely? Maybe not, but I don't care. I'm not trying to tear it down, and if I can think of one possible explanation, there may be more.

    Or, in short, watch less Cinema Sins. Watch more Cinema Wins.


  12. #1412
    This show just feels tired. Inventing story when none was needed. Where is season 3 of "This is the way!"

  13. #1413
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbond View Post
    This show just feels tired. Inventing story when none was needed. Where is season 3 of "This is the way!"
    book of boba fett is kinda....season 3 of mandalorian,i mean....if a season 3 of mando does come out,you will be left a bit confused if you didnt see boba fett

  14. #1414
    Herald of the Titans
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Banned to the Bone.
    Posts
    2,818
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There's a difference between "accepting and not taxing my brain overthinking about" and "defending".

    They're amusing idiosyncracies. It's Fridge Logic, a term basically coined by Hitchcock (he used the term "icebox", but it's the same thing).

    And I'll point back to one of my earlier points; if these kinds of things ruin Star Wars for you, you're telling me you don't like Star Wars, because it's all always been ruined for you. Which, again, no judgement, but plenty of people do enjoy it despite this stuff. We get caught up in the narrative and don't let it bother us later that week where we're digging through the fridge and think "hey, wait a minute . . ."

    I've definitely complained about things in Star Wars. It's weird that it's so consistently and casually and intentionally pro-slavery, for instance. But those complaints are more about core themes I have an issue with, not inconsistencies between two different films, or something. I also don't seek out inconsistencies; if there's a charitable interpretation that could justify the portrayal, I presume that's the interpretation I'm expected to go by. This goes even if Character A says "X is true" and Character B says "X is false and you'd have to be dumb to think it's true". That's not a "plot hole". The charitable interpretation is that one (or more) character is lying or wrong (or both!), within the context of the narrative itself. Because characters aren't omniscient and infallible, generally.

    But here, with Kenobi, we're not really dealing with plot holes. Why did Bail Organa leave an incriminating message? Because he's kind of a nonce. Why did Leia in ANH not talk about knowing Kenobi? Maybe she's being cagey. Sure, she mentions Bail again, but if she's smart, Bail Organa's Rebel affiliations may be well-known (explaining why they obliterate Alderaan, since it's a WEE bit of an overreaction if it was seriously all about Leia), and dropping the intel she knows isn't a secret as a cover for the real secret she's not talking about (that she knows Kenobi personally) is justifiable. Especially when she knows she's about to be grabbed by Vader himself, who she'll know has a hate on for Vader after the events in the show. There's the "charitable interpretation". No need to consider it a "plot hole" or "inconsistency". Were the writers thinking this precisely? Maybe not, but I don't care. I'm not trying to tear it down, and if I can think of one possible explanation, there may be more.

    Or, in short, watch less Cinema Sins. Watch more Cinema Wins.
    Oh man, really stop defending crap with the turd logic "That's what Star Wars always have been". Things we could accept gullibly while being 10 years old (when the OT came out) or reluctantly in our 30s (when the prequels came out) are no longer acceptable as genre tropes now that we are older, smarter and with a huge book/cinema story experience.

    We grew up. We demand that writers for Star Wars grow up as well and present us with more mature, more believable stories (at least within the fictional universe's rules).

    Having to explain every poor shit storytelling as "consistent" with the genre-universe is tiring and not acceptable anymore. Disney should be hiring huge talents for their story making. Instead, they just want to cash in on their SW investment by feeding us stale, cheap and unhealthy (for anyone with a working brain, at least) shit stories. How they treated the sequel trilogy reveals tons. With the exception of Mandalorian, most cinematic and tv content has been shit, story wise.

    And don't start with "Star Wars is not for you, then". Star Wars is a fictional universe and setting and it is for me. It wasn't built as "tropey", per se. Lucas never had in his SW bible any rules about tropey storytelling. The main Skywalker saga was made tropey by each individual contribution in it. The stories (well, most of them anyway) Disney is producing in their effort to capitalize on their investment are cheap and tropey not because of the need of internal consistency or adhering to the universe rules. They are just this. Cheap copouts

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    Rather you enjoy them or not you kinda have to accept that starwars is fundamentally built on them going all the way back to the OT and that’s unlikely to ever change.

    if plot hours are a huge issue to some one starwars hasn't ever been the franchise for them.
    Just,lol....

    Ask Disney to hire you as SW storyteller. You got it, bro.
    /spit@Blizzard

  15. #1415
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    Oh man, really stop defending crap with the turd logic "That's what Star Wars always have been". Things we could accept gullibly while being 10 years old (when the OT came out) or reluctantly in our 30s (when the prequels came out) are no longer acceptable as genre tropes now that we are older, smarter and with a huge book/cinema story experience.

    We grew up. We demand that writers for Star Wars grow up as well and present us with more mature, more believable stories (at least within the fictional universe's rules).

    Having to explain every poor shit storytelling as "consistent" with the genre-universe is tiring and not acceptable anymore. Disney should be hiring huge talents for their story making. Instead, they just want to cash in on their SW investment by feeding us stale, cheap and unhealthy (for anyone with a working brain, at least) shit stories. How they treated the sequel trilogy reveals tons. With the exception of Mandalorian, most cinematic and tv content has been shit, story wise.

    And don't start with "Star Wars is not for you, then". Star Wars is a fictional universe and setting and it is for me. It wasn't built as "tropey", per se. Lucas never had in his SW bible any rules about tropey storytelling. The main Skywalker saga was made tropey by each individual contribution in it. The stories (well, most of them anyway) Disney is producing in their effort to capitalize on their investment are cheap and tropey not because of the need of internal consistency or adhering to the universe rules. They are just this. Cheap copouts
    Look, Endus and I disagree on this topic a lot, but I honestly think you're on the wrong side of the issue here.

    If you get older and less tolerant of certain things in your media and expect different tropes and whatnot...that's just you growing up and changing tastes. It's not really the job of Star Wars - or ANY form of media, for that matter - to change with you.

    Mortal Kombat doesn't need to turn into a game about friends hanging out just because you got older and decided that uppercutting someone's head off isn't funny anymore.

  16. #1416
    The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    20,421
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    Oh man, really stop defending crap with the turd logic "That's what Star Wars always have been". Things we could accept gullibly while being 10 years old (when the OT came out) or reluctantly in our 30s (when the prequels came out) are no longer acceptable as genre tropes now that we are older, smarter and with a huge book/cinema story experience.

    We grew up. We demand that writers for Star Wars grow up as well and present us with more mature, more believable stories (at least within the fictional universe's rules).

    Having to explain every poor shit storytelling as "consistent" with the genre-universe is tiring and not acceptable anymore. Disney should be hiring huge talents for their story making. Instead, they just want to cash in on their SW investment by feeding us stale, cheap and unhealthy (for anyone with a working brain, at least) shit stories. How they treated the sequel trilogy reveals tons. With the exception of Mandalorian, most cinematic and tv content has been shit, story wise.

    And don't start with "Star Wars is not for you, then". Star Wars is a fictional universe and setting and it is for me. It wasn't built as "tropey", per se. Lucas never had in his SW bible any rules about tropey storytelling. The main Skywalker saga was made tropey by each individual contribution in it. The stories (well, most of them anyway) Disney is producing in their effort to capitalize on their investment are cheap and tropey not because of the need of internal consistency or adhering to the universe rules. They are just this. Cheap copouts

    - - - Updated - - -



    Just,lol....

    Ask Disney to hire you as SW storyteller. You got it, bro.
    It just sound's like starwars really isn't the franchise for you, the OT was full of plot hole's, the EU before the prequels was filled with plot holes, The prequels were filled with plot holes, the post Prequel EU was filled with plot holes, under Disney it is and will continue to be filled with plot holes.

    So again if this is a huge issue for you then starwars isn't the franchise for you as it has always and will always be filled with plot holes.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

  17. #1417
    Scarab Lord Ihavewaffles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    The spice must flow!
    Posts
    4,604
    de-aging Anakin


  18. #1418
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There's a difference between "accepting and not taxing my brain overthinking about" and "defending".

    They're amusing idiosyncracies. It's Fridge Logic, a term basically coined by Hitchcock (he used the term "icebox", but it's the same thing).

    And I'll point back to one of my earlier points; if these kinds of things ruin Star Wars for you, you're telling me you don't like Star Wars, because it's all always been ruined for you. Which, again, no judgement, but plenty of people do enjoy it despite this stuff. We get caught up in the narrative and don't let it bother us later that week where we're digging through the fridge and think "hey, wait a minute . . ."

    I've definitely complained about things in Star Wars. It's weird that it's so consistently and casually and intentionally pro-slavery, for instance. But those complaints are more about core themes I have an issue with, not inconsistencies between two different films, or something. I also don't seek out inconsistencies; if there's a charitable interpretation that could justify the portrayal, I presume that's the interpretation I'm expected to go by. This goes even if Character A says "X is true" and Character B says "X is false and you'd have to be dumb to think it's true". That's not a "plot hole". The charitable interpretation is that one (or more) character is lying or wrong (or both!), within the context of the narrative itself. Because characters aren't omniscient and infallible, generally.

    But here, with Kenobi, we're not really dealing with plot holes. Why did Bail Organa leave an incriminating message? Because he's kind of a nonce. Why did Leia in ANH not talk about knowing Kenobi? Maybe she's being cagey. Sure, she mentions Bail again, but if she's smart, Bail Organa's Rebel affiliations may be well-known (explaining why they obliterate Alderaan, since it's a WEE bit of an overreaction if it was seriously all about Leia), and dropping the intel she knows isn't a secret as a cover for the real secret she's not talking about (that she knows Kenobi personally) is justifiable. Especially when she knows she's about to be grabbed by Vader himself, who she'll know has a hate on for Vader after the events in the show. There's the "charitable interpretation". No need to consider it a "plot hole" or "inconsistency". Were the writers thinking this precisely? Maybe not, but I don't care. I'm not trying to tear it down, and if I can think of one possible explanation, there may be more.

    Or, in short, watch less Cinema Sins. Watch more Cinema Wins.
    it's time for a remake of SW Eps 4 to 6! To make it overal more consistent theme and have a bit deeper give into the overal characters. Maybe make it a series and each season is a movie.
    Give it a FF7 Remake overhaul....stories that we only saw hints of and characters that got added afterwards needs to be inclucded.

  19. #1419
    I am Murloc! Darththeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Posts
    5,934
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    it's time for a remake of SW Eps 4 to 6! To make it overal more consistent theme and have a bit deeper give into the overal characters. Maybe make it a series and each season is a movie.
    Give it a FF7 Remake overhaul....stories that we only saw hints of and characters that got added afterwards needs to be inclucded.
    Yes, because rebooting Star Trek worked so well for Trek.
    Star Wars should totally do the same thing.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

  20. #1420
    The Insane Kathandira's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ziltoidia 9
    Posts
    18,461
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    it's time for a remake of SW Eps 4 to 6! To make it overal more consistent theme and have a bit deeper give into the overal characters. Maybe make it a series and each season is a movie.
    Nah. I personally would not like that.

    What i'd rather see, is to depart from the 80 year timespan that all these movies take place within, and either go thousands of years in the past (Old Republic), or hundreds to thousands of years into the future.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

    Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •