Page 80 of 92 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    And what would a Kenobi show where he has full agency look like?

Oh right him working as a butcher by day, hiding in a cave by night, occasionally checking in on Luke. For 20 years. Which is a choice he made.

I guess they could make a sitcom about the zany hi-jinks of a bunch of butchers toiling in the hot suns of Tatooine. Kenobi wouldn't be doing too many hi-jinks but he could occasionally drop some of pearl of wisdom. Not too much wisdom or the Inquisition would come calling.
    Every other episode he could refuse to help an errant force sensitive who ends up being hung in the town square! Such amazing character development!

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    When you look at the Kenobi show, very little of the show is about Kenobi and his actions. For almost the entirety of the show, Kenobi is a passive character who gets lead around by everyone else (basically, he has no agency in his own show). Instead, the characters who are being pushed and actually doing stuff are mainly Reva and Leia... and they're the weakest characters in the show in terms of writing (to be fair, the bar is pretty low for everyone in this show). The writing is all about pushing a narrative that doesn't make sense but tries to make Reva and Leia the real focus of the show, and the world has to bend so much to have that happen. In order to distract people, they'll jingle the keys every now and then with nostalgia to distract people from the abysmal show. The end result is that the franchise as a whole is worse off in the end with a plot that makes no sense and has so many holes and logical inconsistencies that it's hard not to go 5 minutes into an episode without getting distracted by silly/dumb things.
    This is just about the dumbest take I've seen so far about the show.

The whole show centers around Kenobi and him breaking out from the self imposed exile the prequels left him in. The point was for him to regain agency, so it makes perfect sense for him to start as a passive character that needed an external influence to jump start his story at this point. It also makes sense that one of the only threats that would pull him from Tatooine and Luke would be a threat to the other sibling. Reva's part in the story was fine as well. It was made perfectly clear that kidnapping a senator's child was a reckless move. That's where a young, impulsive inquisitor comes into play.

And let's be honest, Star Wars has been riddled with plot holes and inconsistencies since the original trilogy, only made worse by the prequel and sequel trilogies. It was never great writing to begin with, but has usually been entertaining enough with its spectacle, world building, and simplistic stories.

Was the show perfect? Hardly. Could one think of a variety of other ways to move along the narrative in a similar way? No doubt. However, this was still a perfectly fine way of injecting a story into the otherwise boring state that the end of Episodes III and beginning of Episode IV had for the character of Obi-Wan.
    Last edited by Adamas102; 2022-06-24 at 01:23 AM.

Show wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Definitely started off quite weak and few of the original characters are standout but the last two episodes are pretty decent, even if mostly because you can see Vader and Obi-Wan cut loose.

Final duel was the best scene. I particularly liked how much they used the Force itself which is often forgotten in SW duels in favor of swishy swashy lightsaber action for minutes on end. Dialog wasn't anything special but Ewan acted the hell out of the part.

I do think Reva feels a bit superflous as a character. Not entirely so, but her part could have been written far better; admittedly I could say the same for 95% of all Star Wars characters but still.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

I really thought Ewan McGregor did an excellent job. His performance makes Alec Guiness's performance even more interesting, where now some of his dialogue here and there feels like some of his more reserved speech feels like he's avoiding his own raw nerves here and there. The girl who played Leia is also very good, she reminds me of Mara Wilson.

I feel like some of Reva's parts were a little bit underwhelming, and looking through some of the discussion. I think Moses Ingram did an excellent job with the material she's given. However, I think a lot of her material was too brief and quick for the subject matter. The general concept of Reva is a really cool idea for Star Wars, and reminds me of the dynamic of some child soldiers taken from their parents in conflict zones, who wind up in some mixture of service to and resentment of their captors, as well as some really dark feelings towards their parents/caretakers. I think the blame for the lackluster part of it really falls with production, rather than acting or writing. I think Disney wanted to be conservative with their investment and have a concise, self contained story in 6 episodes. Reva really needed more screen time, I think, and it seemed like every time the writers started to touch on something interesting with her (like how she was going to go with interrogating and possibly torturing Leia, which seemed like it was something she may have experienced), they ushered the viewers on to the next thing to see.

I wanted the things Reva went through (and to a lesser extent, Kenobi's PTSD/survivor's guilt) to be explored more gradually. I think where we got with how the main characters are could've taken a few seasons, or at least several more episodes.

So Kenobi had Vader on his knees barely able to fight back and he just peaces out?? Seriously? If you had Hitler defenseless, not killing him is basically sentencing millions of more people to die. I know that movies 4-6 have to happen, but they could have written his exit better.

I get that he felt sorry for Anakin, but anakin is gone. Finish what you started 20 years ago when you left him to die in the lava.

Yea Ewan rocked. And I goto say I was deeply impressed by the duel in the finale between Ben and Jerry and Dork Wader. It was freaking awesome, props to the director.
    So did the plot and general episodes.
    Just that 7-10mins of a 36 min episode being intro etc. Who dubbed voices to X languanger literally is 2 mins alone.

It was really good, but not as good as Mandalorian or Fett, cos it was so much shorter actual content.
    It was more or less 6x 35 mins all in all.
    Last edited by Bakis; 2022-06-24 at 03:41 AM.
    Ukraine’s government has officially registered the Moskva cruiser wreck on the Black Sea bottom as a national underwater cultural heritage site.

Just watched the final two episodes. Great series. Loved that final duel and the awesome surprise cameo at the very end. Not sure how I feel about Reva's ending being so... open-ended. I wouldn't be interested in her own spin off series, maybe that's not the purpose, and she's just free now like Obi-Wan said. Either way, I liked her journey and thought the actor did a fine job with the role. Not sure I'd even want a Season 2, this was too perfect as is and bridges perfectly to New Hope now. Well, as well as Disney could have done, anyway. It's amazing how night and day the quality is between the Disney+ series and the sequel trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    So Kenobi had Vader on his knees barely able to fight back and he just peaces out?? Seriously? If you had Hitler defenseless, not killing him is basically sentencing millions of more people to die.
    That's a classic moral dilemma, common in all kinds of fiction. Want to count the number of innocent dead people caused by Batman choosing not to kill villains, allowing them to escape and murder again and again?

But aside from that - Vader isn't the One Bad Guy of the Empire. Killing him won't magically stop its stranglehold on the galaxy. Heck, even killing Palpatine shouldn't have done that, yet they somehow celebrated like it would (and let's ignore the whole sequel stuff for a second there).

Same thing with Hitler, by the way. If you think killing Hitler would have magically stopped the Nazis from continuing on their extermination crusade, you seriously misunderstand historical circumstance.

You COULD argue that killing Vader would save at least SOME people. Not millions, but at least a good bunch that wouldn't otherwise be killed. That's a Jedi problem, I suppose, and a problem with many other forms of RL pacifist philosophies - if you avoid taking lives yourself, then sometimes that can mean indirectly allowing other lives to be taken. It's a difficult point to argue, ESPECIALLY in a fictional setting where good/evil are more or less tangible forces rather than just abstract concepts. While we might object from our morality, you could argue that Obi-Wan killing Vader would have corrupted him, potentially causing even more harm. Doubly so in view of the role Vader would eventually play in overthrowing Palpatine (the whole why-didn't-LotR-just-kill-Gollum-thing all over again, I suppose).

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Vader's the Chosen One. Luke in the OT is essentially an ambulatory Maguffin who exists to trigger his dad's parental emotions. This is literally the point of the finale of RotJ and what made that finale such an interesting take. That Luke could only beat Vader if he tapped into the Dark Side, losing himself to the Emperor in the process. Luke could not win.
    Small correction Vader was the Chosen One in the old lore. New lore states Palpatine transferred into a new body as he was falling.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    They don’t have exclusive control over Mando.
    Did I say they had exclusive control of the Lucasfilm? No. They had exclusive control of how Mando is made. A single show.

And I never said that KK didn't do her job good sometimes. After all she wouldn't be in charge for so long. So money wise she was profitable. I don't know what she actually did good or bad though, besides the sequel trilogy, and now Kenobi. Maybe her strength is merchandize - crappy shows with toys for kids in it.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2022 - that's two-zero-two-two, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of double-masked tripple-jabbed sissies who stand with Ukraine.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Did I say they had exclusive control of the Lucasfilm? No. They had exclusive control of how Mando is made. A single show.

And I never said that KK didn't do her job good sometimes. After all she wouldn't be in charge for so long. So money wise she was profitable. I don't know what she actually did good or bad though, besides the sequel trilogy, and now Kenobi. Maybe her strength is merchandize - crappy shows with toys for kids in it.
    And neither did Ivanstone. KK is still executive producer on Mando.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    And neither did Ivanstone. KK is still executive producer on Mando.
    Which is completely irrelevant to my point since all shows must go thru her approval she will be credited on them. Perks of being an executive at the studio level. That's the problem with credits in Hollywood. Wrong people get the credit. Never praise executives for the job done well. Most of the time it's when they don't get that much involved when the job gets done well.

And with Mando that was the deal.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2022 - that's two-zero-two-two, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of double-masked tripple-jabbed sissies who stand with Ukraine.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    So Kenobi had Vader on his knees barely able to fight back and he just peaces out?? Seriously? If you had Hitler defenseless, not killing him is basically sentencing millions of more people to die. I know that movies 4-6 have to happen, but they could have written his exit better.

I get that he felt sorry for Anakin, but anakin is gone. Finish what you started 20 years ago when you left him to die in the lava.
    So you understand exactly why Obi-wan peaces out. The difference between your hypothetical is that I have no personal connection to Hitler. I only know the atrocities he had done. It is a lot harder to kill someone you care about, even if they are a mass murderer.

- - - Updated - - -

Which is completely irrelevant to my point since all shows must go thru her approval she will be credited on them. Perks of being an executive at the studio level. That's the problem with credits in Hollywood. Wrong people get the credit. Never praise executives for the job done well. Most of the time it's when they don't get that much involved when the job gets done well.

And with Mando that was the deal.
    Again, they do not have the level of control on Mando that you think they do. They have near full control on the show, but not complete control. The shows are not allowed to conflict with other canon. Which is why though they wanted Luke to come for Grogu, Grogu could not stay with Luke as it was established that the first student at Luke's new school was Ben Solo.

This is why in Book of Boba Fett the school is under construction and not finished.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    Small correction Vader was the Chosen One in the old lore. New lore states Palpatine transferred into a new body as he was falling.
    If you say Vader is not the Chosen One in the new lore, Vader wasn't the Chosen One in the old lore either.

Palpatine spirit returned in a clone body in the Old lore too.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Filoni and Favro were given exclusive control over Mando. There were even rumors of them deposing KK. That's like History by now, not MY argument. Just a fact. They were given Carte Blanche - and they delivered. Then KK touched it and we got Boba (Kenobi show, Ahsoka show <- the one I worry about now, Andor show - and now incoming Reva show, Leia show - money money money must be funny)
    I never understood complains about us getting new content. 10 years ago we would have been happy enough to just get one star wars tv show, now we get a lot of them and it's awesome. And booh hooh, sure it's about money, that's how the world works sadly. But as long as I'm entertained, they can have my money and support.

Also - is the Leia show confirmed? Holy moly, that's gonna be awesome! I had hoped we would see the new actress growing up in the coming years as our new princess. <3
    Last edited by Lady Atia; 2022-06-24 at 10:54 AM.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    I never understood complains about us getting new content. 10 years ago we would have been happy enough to just get one star wars tv show, now we get a lot of them and it's awesome. And booh hooh, sure it's about money, that's how the world works sadly. But as long as I'm entertained, they can have my money and support.

Also - is the Leia show confirmed? Holy moly, that's gonna be awesome! I had hoped we would see the new actress growing up in the coming years as our new princess. <3
    Also, it is Disney. Disney's history shows that they do tons for money. All the movies with Direct to VHS/DvD sequels. The movies that had spin off TV series.
    The marketing for toys. The reused animations in classic cartoons.

Disney making money is to be expected. Anyone who thinks Disney doesn't care about money or doesn't focus on how to make money hasn't paid attention to Disney.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    I never understood complains about us getting new content.
    Literally no one complains about that.
    Rather the quality of content. And if you don't complain - it won't improve.

I think the last two episodes were good, with the exception of Reva, she almost became a good character, almost, but then, all the whole, unnecessary bullshit thing in tattoine. The only thing good coming from that was Luke family getting some action.

And dude, how the child survive a burning hole in the stomach from the size of a small pipe, thats such bs.

And to me, the highlights is seeing they actually using the damn force, Vader display of power pulling the ship and destroying, Obi wan with the stones, that is good visual stuff that i want in a star wars/jedi show.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    And to me, the highlights is seeing they actually using the damn force, Vader display of power pulling the ship and destroying, Obi wan with the stones, that is good visual stuff that i want in a star wars/jedi show.
    Yeah, I was surprised to see an almost SWTOR-style battle for once rather than the limp mockery of fencing we're used to. That was a nice change of pace, on both sides.

That last duel was probably the best force-user fight we've seen on (live-action) film.

If they have a boss, they don't have exclusive control.

And this is the first time you've admitted she has done a good job any time. The rest of the mean kids are gonna kick you out of the club now.

Any Star Wars product since Rebels has effectively been under her supervision. Ultimately, she's responsible for its successes and its failures.

If they have a boss, they don't have exclusive control.
    Splitting hairs is getting boring. You know what I meant. I know what I meant, everyone knows what I meant. And yet you cannot be wrong.
    Proven by ridiculous statement that since she's the boss she gets the credit for everything done under her.
    While it should be obvious she can only take credit for something she was involved with directly. Just like the Disney shareholders can't take credit for everything Disney does.
    The deal with Mando (the pilot live action series for Disney SW) was carte blanche to do what they wanted within the budget and canon. If it succeeds - they make more live action shows and KK takes credit for being so foreseeing. If it doesn't - Filoni/Favro fault.
    It's business.
    But she can take no credit for Mando's success in reality.