Page 13 of 89 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hot take

Reva was at around the Jedi Temple when it was sacked. The Temple is never shown without reason and they led with it. Reva was spared for whatever reason, maybe she was cast out for some reason. At this moment I going to say she was a padawan and probably disciplined for some mistake by the council or failed her trials, that would explain hate towards Obi and sympathy from Anakin or a chance for revenge offered by Vader. She blames Obi for her misfortunes. Or she just recognized Anakin as Vader at the Temple and the brain washing came later. The other Inquisitors look down on her because she never even made it through her trials so is going off untrained raw talent versus the rest who had a lot more training under their belt.

The GI obviously is not dead. Still disappointed they would pull that trope. He is probably going to be sent back to Vader and tortured, hence his end in Rebels where he rather kill himself that face Vader despite ending up in Vader's custody post death

Resident Cosplay Progressive

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Hot take

Reva was at around the Jedi Temple when it was sacked. The Temple is never shown without reason and they led with it. Reva was spared for whatever reason, maybe she was cast out for some reason. At this moment I going to say she was a padawan and probably disciplined for some mistake by the council or failed her trials, that would explain hate towards Obi and sympathy from Anakin or a chance for revenge offered by Vader. She blames Obi for her misfortunes. Or she just recognized Anakin as Vader at the Temple and the brain washing came later. The other Inquisitors look down on her because she never even made it through her trials so is going off untrained raw talent versus the rest who had a lot more training under their belt.

The GI obviously is not dead. Still disappointed they would pull that trope. He is probably going to be sent back to Vader and tortured, hence his end in Rebels where he rather kill himself that face Vader despite ending up in Vader's custody post death
    She was likely one of the younglings we saw in the opening.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Cubed View Post
    Sure, if you completely and utterly ignore the very first scene of the very first episode where you can see her as one of the younglings escaping the Jedi Temple.
    During the recap they also made sure to show the recording of Anakin swearing fealty to Palpatine. It's possible she has seen that as well and put two and two together.

It was a decent start, but not a great one. The first episode was way better than the second, probably because it had some time to breathe compared to the rushed second episode. This fetish Lucasfilm has with these inconsistent runtimes with their Star Wars series is really quite irritating.
    "yOu aRe wRoNg" - Darththeo

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Let's see. There was a public announcement that Anakin Skywalker was dead. Vader is shown to push back when people who know he is Anakin mention it.
    Yeah, I just don't think "closely guarded secret" means you think it means. People not caring enough to look into it != closely guarded secret. Someone being sensitive about their history != closely guarded secret.

Now if you could show intentional redactions in galactic databases, people being executed after helping bring him back/implant his cybernetics, anyone being executed who even just accidentally learned about it, and literally just because they learned about it, then you'll see evidence of a "closely guarded secret."

Vader being Anakin was just uncommon knowledge. Not a secret.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, it hints as more. And I hope they develop it.

Literally, my only complaints are minor things with the Inquisitors. The rest is great. It isn't terrible, and she has potential to be good. She is kind of weak right now for me, but there is potential. There are things they could have smooth out, but that's it.

Like the problems with the first two episodes are minor for me and if that is the level of issue this series will have, it will be the best live action Star Wars series and could be some of the best Star Wars content of all time.

- - - Updated - - -

Let's see. There was a public announcement that Anakin Skywalker was dead. Vader is shown to push back when people who know he is Anakin mention it.
    Tarkin, who suspects, never confronts him about it for confirmation. Thrawn when he gets what he needs to confirm, informs Vader that he knows Anakin is dead.

The number of character who know immediately post RotJ is small and doesn't start growing significantly until around the time of ANH.

And the existence of a more closely guarded secret does not preclude another being one. Anakin after putting on the suit as it was shown in canon before now referred to himself most as Vader. I don't see Anakin advertising who he is to people. The only other person who knows and would share is Palpatine. So the number of people who would expose the secret is small.

If that isn't evidence it is a closely guarded secret to you, you have a completely different view of that phrase than I do. Hell, Luke being Anakin's son could be argued to be as well known as Anakin being Vader at this point. If Luke being Anakin's son is closely guarded how is Anakin being Vader not?

Also, Leia, who was currently in a ship, perpendicular to the room, of a tall structure, hearing names she has no reason to put any value to. From a person speaking names to a bunch of cargo containers. We can't even confirm Leia heard the names Vader or Anakin, and even is she did, what reason would she have to care about the names? Seriously, if you think that is the bigger issue than just the name drop itself, you're weird.

However, if you WANT a Leia complaint. You could wonder why Leia in ANH didn't mention Obi-wan saving her and only references his relationship to her father now. But, like with the inquisitor name dropping Anakin, that's a minor annoyance.
    Added notes Vader's 'reveal'. Reva knowing doesn't actually contradict anything. There's nothing that says ONLY xyz people knew at that point or that the Empire was actively surpressing the information. You'd have to be pretty smart to figure it out but people didn't know simply because they had no reason to connect Anakin to Vader after Anakin was declared dead and Vader having no discernable origin like a lot Imperials. Vader himself was sort of a hidden figure, he wasn't a particularly public figure. He'd would show up, kill shit, and disappeared - survivors left with trauma and accounts taken with grains of salt. No one is really asking Reva questions, she doesn't get along with other Inquisitors, and we know she dies, so it's not the question is why she didn't spill the secret to a bunch of people.

Now consider that Obi didn't even know the name of the Empire's top enforcer (he didn't know Vader is Vader), you can assume people really aren't thinking of Vader or Anakin. The point on the timeline is when Vader really starts to become a menace and not just someone simply in the favor of Palpatine.

Obi leaving Tatt is a bigger "controversy", even though that's not a problem either.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

7+ Year Old Account
    Great two episodes, although the finale bit with the Grand Inquisitor was gringe as hell knowing he will survive anyways thanks to Rebells. Also, anyone else noticed that they showed specifically Mace Windu in the "what happened in episode 1-3" prologue? Why bother with that if he isn't appearing in the series?

#TEAMGIRAFFE

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    Great two episodes, although the finale bit with the Grand Inquisitor was gringe as hell knowing he will survive anyways thanks to Rebells. Also, anyone else noticed that they showed specifically Mace Windu in the "what happened in episode 1-3" prologue? Why bother with that if he isn't appearing in the series?
    But what if he shows up? Jedi can survive fall damages.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

I mean that would be so satisfying, to know that he's dead or something.

What weirded me out is the struggle to use the Force, as if he hasn't used it since forever. Why can't he still practice it in the cave alone?

Also, would be great if they expand on Qui-gon and Force ghosts, and how Obi-wan is 'training' for it.

It could have just been to give context to when Anakin was describing Obi-Wan. "He's as wise as Master Yoda and as powerful as Master Windu" or something to that effect. Of course I found it weird that they felt they had to give a complete run down of the prequel trilogy, as if the vast majority of people watching the series aren't already intimately familiar with the story. They certainly didn't seem to feel the need to do so for Boba Fett, who is relatively obscure in comparison. Nevermind them just throwing Luke into the Mandalorian out of nowhere (again, relatively speaking).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fakaroonie View Post
    What weirded me out is the struggle to use the Force, as if he hasn't used it since forever. Why can't he still practice it in the cave alone?
    Because using it could be a red alarm for other force users searching for him. It's one of the reasons Yoda hid on Dagobah, because it cloaked his presence without forcing him to go cold turkey.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I just don't think "closely guarded secret" means you think it means. People not caring enough to look into it != closely guarded secret. Someone being sensitive about their history != closely guarded secret.

Now if you could show intentional redactions in galactic databases, people being executed after helping bring him back/implant his cybernetics, anyone being executed who even just accidentally learned about it, and literally just because they learned about it, then you'll see evidence of a "closely guarded secret."

Vader being Anakin was just uncommon knowledge. Not a secret.
    Luke being Anakin's son was just uncommon knowledge. Not a secret.
    Rey being a Palpatine was just uncommon knowledge. Not a secret.

Literally, anything kept secret in Star Wars don't meet your standard of closely guarded secret save Leia's parentage, not Luke's. There was no reason to announce Anakin died to the Galaxy as the 501st knows he was there at the Temple.

And someone being sensitive about their history and actively fighting against people who claim Anakin alive kind of does point to it being a secret.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    But what if he shows up? Jedi can survive fall damages.
    Yeah, that was my point haha. I just didn't dare to say it loud.

#TEAMGIRAFFE

Luke being Anakin's son was just uncommon knowledge. Not a secret.
    Rey being a Palpatine was just uncommon knowledge. Not a secret.
    Cool, now you're catching on.

Edit: Particularly regarding Luke. I mean, literally anyone who was interested would have no problem finding him. They brought him to live with his own fucking uncle, for fuck's sake.
    Last edited by Infinity Cubed; 2022-05-27 at 07:57 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fakaroonie View Post
    I mean that would be so satisfying, to know that he's dead or something.

Also, would be great if they expand on Qui-gon and Force ghosts, and how Obi-wan is 'training' for it.
    We will 100% see/hear Qui-gon, they already set it up both with that prologue and the first episode.

And yeah, the Grand Inquisitor survives of course, and they also showed Maul getting cut in half but surviving, so I don't see why Mace shouldn't have survived his fall.

#TEAMGIRAFFE

I don’t know why it’s a surprise that random Inquisitor #3 is better than the others. Disney has shown over and and over they are not going to give you the series about or who you want. She is going to end up being as or more important than Obi Wan by the end.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Added notes Vader's 'reveal'. Reva knowing doesn't actually contradict anything. There's nothing that says ONLY xyz people knew at that point or that the Empire was actively surpressing the information. You'd have to be pretty smart to figure it out but people didn't know simply because they had no reason to connect Anakin to Vader after Anakin was declared dead and Vader having no discernable origin like a lot Imperials. Vader himself was sort of a hidden figure, he wasn't a particularly public figure. He'd would show up, kill shit, and disappeared - survivors left with trauma and accounts taken with grains of salt. No one is really asking Reva questions, she doesn't get along with other Inquisitors, and we know she dies, so it's not the question is why she didn't spill the secret to a bunch of people.

Now consider that Obi didn't even know the name of the Empire's top enforcer (he didn't know Vader is Vader), you can assume people really aren't thinking of Vader or Anakin. The point on the timeline is when Vader really starts to become a menace and not just someone simply in the favor of Palpatine.

Obi leaving Tatt is a bigger "controversy", even though that's not a problem either.
    Minor annoyance =/= problem. I fully expect explanations. The canon established that Vader viewed Anakin as "dead" so people just knowing is odd. Other characters that know find out through various means. Now, they could be taking something from the old Legends where Vader early on would reveal to Jedi he was about to killed he was Anakin Skywalker before ending them.

Also, just a comment. Tatooine isn't under Empire control, they are outer rim and in the episodes shown characters are literally telling the Inquisitors they do not have jurisdiction. So, it is entirely possible that Obi-wan did not hear about Vader as he tended to keep to himself and hide in a cave. In Legends, he found out Vader was alive via a newscast shortly after the events of RotS.

- - - Updated - - -

Cool, now you're catching on.

Edit: Particularly regarding Luke. I mean, literally anyone who was interested would have no problem finding him. They brought him to live with his own fucking uncle, for fuck's sake.
    Yeah, I am catching on you have no understanding of the concept of a secret. The Death Star was a secret Battle Station, but by your logic, can't count as secret because too many people knew.
    –The Sith Code

Yeah, I am catching on you have no understanding of the concept of a secret. The Death Star was a secret Battle Station, but by your logic, can't count as secret because too many people knew.
    Wrong.

And that's a wonderful example, thank you. You know, the secret where its construction location was taking place (to this day, I believe that's still a secret), and whose plans were hidden away and protected in a secret database on a heavily fortified planet/base. Which required a team of secret agents to go in, infiltrate, and liberate said secret from said base at the cost of their own life, because it was being so heavily protected. And which, after it did escape, the Empire put their best hounddog--Vader--on to go hunt it down in an attempt to keep it a secret.

Hell, just that the rumor of the secret existing got out and had people hunting for that shows how much of a secret it was.

Yeah, that definitely counts as a secret.

Not to me that guy, but can we get a [Spoilers] tag in the title.

This just started streaming and I missed that. I saw nothing yet here, but others might come here and not realize that there could be potential spoilers.

Or could posters use the tags if they are commenting on the episodes.

7+ Year Old Account
    Wrong.

And that's a wonderful example, thank you. You know, the secret where its construction location was taking place (to this day, I believe that's still a secret), and whose plans were hidden away and protected in a secret database on a heavily fortified planet/base. Which required a team of secret agents to go in, infiltrate, and liberate said secret from said base at the cost of their own life, because it was being so heavily protected. And which, after it did escape, the Empire put their best hounddog--Vader--on to go hunt it down in an attempt to keep it a secret.

Hell, just that the rumor of the secret existing got out and had people hunting for that shows how much of a secret it was.

Yeah, that definitely counts as a secret.
    And by this logic, Vader being Anakin is a secret.

Essentially, you are arguing "I get to call whatever I want a secret for whatever reasons I want."
    –The Sith Code

And by this logic, Vader being Anakin is a secret.
    Wrong.

Do I really need to explain it to you again?

Feel free to show some evidence of where the Empire was suppressing this information. Scrubbing information, murdering anyone who knew, etc. That would be indicative of a secret. Me not knowing who you are in real life because I DGAF doesn't make your identity a secret.

It's not rocket science. It's just you not being able to deal with the fact that you're wrong and moving on.
    Last edited by Infinity Cubed; 2022-05-27 at 08:22 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Wrong.

Do I really need to explain it to you again?

Feel free to show some evidence of where the Empire was suppressing this information. That would be indicative of a secret. Me not knowing who you are in real life because I DGAF doesn't make your identity a secret.
    YOU DO NOT NEED TO SUPPRESS THE INFORMATION FOR SOMETHING TO BE SECRET OR A CLOSELY GUARDED ONE. I don't have to prove it was "suppressed" because Leia's parentage is kept secret but the knowledge isn't suppressed by anyone. Luke's parentage is a secret because they don't advertise he is the son of a Jedi, most people will just assume he was the son of that guy who won a race. Not really worth noting beyond that for the backwater world of Tatooine.

And no, me not actively sharing who I am in real life is what makes it secret. You have it ass backwards.
    The fact the Empire put out officially that Anakin Skywalker is dead is all that is needed to prove that Anakin Skywalker being Vader is a secret. And the fact canonly Vader has pushed back against people saying he is Anakin is evidence he is guarded of that secret.

Again, the standard you apply for secret makes literally nothing a secret. So when you claim something is a secret it is solely because you say it is.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2022-05-27 at 08:24 PM.
    –The Sith Code