Page 59 of 89 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    "I'm fine with the idea of a physically impossible laser sword that has zero basis in science. But you are suggesting you can survive getting stabbed by it, WHICH IS IMPOSSIBLE BECAUSE SCIENCE REASONS."

Right. Okay then.
    Cool then they should have a flying elephant that shots icecream at its foes, same logic you use. Its called internal consistency, and when Qui gon gets done in by the same stab, the least you expect is a gravely injured and out of it 3rd sister. but whatever its Disney they can do whatever and you will gobble it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Surviving a stab from a lightsaber is not new. Arguing "that should have killed her" is pointless and ignores the other stuff that far exceeds her.

Using "real world" logic, Maul should be dead as should Anakin after Mustafar. Drawing the line here and saying "This is too far" is being ridiculous at best and just trolling at worst. And we aren't even getting into Legends characters that should have no survived. But, a short list is Revan, Sion, and Malgus to name a few. You may notice a pattern with characters surviving when they shouldn't ... they tend to be Dark Side Force users.

The Humans in the Star Wars galaxy are more durable than humans in the real world AND Force Users are even more so. Complaining that someone can live in a world of essentially magic where people survived worse injuries is just silly.

And let's not forget that in Star Wars, their cybernetics are so advanced that you can be kept alive with insane amounts of your body replaced.
    The same stab wound killed Qui gon, it should have if not killed put her out for the rest of the show. Now you are ignoring things. I didn't saw Maul should be alive, keep up. Anakin is debatable, but at least he was fucked up and relegated to a mechanic body and a suit for the rest of his life. I am sorry I like consequences for getting stabbed in the chest with a light saber more than she got healed off screen in 2 minutes, to me that is lazy as fuck writing. Enjoy it I guess.
    Last edited by bledgor; 2022-06-18 at 07:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    Its called internal consistency, and when Qui gon gets done in by the same stab
    The crux here being "the same stab". It's not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post

And please. "It's Star Wars" is not enough for suspension of my disbelief.
    Your entire problem is 100% a you problem, then. If a battlestation that blows up a planet and can travel faster than the speed of light doesn't suspend your disbelief, but people surviving wounds that would be fatal to us in the real world - that's a you issue. Star Wars has always had magic, even if you disregard the Force, like Bacta, that can miraculously heal basically any injury - excepf for when you're Anakin Skywalker, then the plot demands you suffer.

Heck, Star Wars has people continuing to interact with the real world after their death. The Force is strong enough so people can keep existing and communicating with people alive, but Force users (especially motivated ones) that get stabbed is to much?

- - - Updated - - -

The same stab wound killed Qui gon, it should have if not killed put her out for the rest of the show.
    Two people can suffer the same wound. One lives, one dies. That's pretty normal in medicine.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    The same stab wound killed Qui gon, it should have if not killed put her out for the rest of the show. Now you are ignoring things. I didn't saw Maul should be alive, keep up. Anakin is debatable, but at least he was fucked up and relegated to a mechanic body and a suit for the rest of his life. I am sorry I like consequences for getting stabbed in the chest with a light saber more than she got healed off screen in 2 minutes, to me that is lazy as fuck writing. Enjoy it I guess.
    Some people have been shot in the head and live, for most people that's lethal.

For most of Star Wars, time isn't defined. There are only 4 movies that have something that is timed, 2 of them are only in part of the movie (ANH and TFA) which the other two, the timeline is part of the plot.
    So, how much time has actually passed between scenes for most of Star Wars is unknown. For all we know for example with the Grand Inquisitor, he was in a bacta tank for over a week because we aren't told anything about how much time exists between scenes.

And Qui-Gon didn't die instantly. Also, don't tell me to keep up when you fell on your face. I didn't say you said anything about Maul. I am pointing out that someone surviving injuries like this is far more normal in Star Wars than them dying. Qui-Gon appears the exception, not the rule. And was so even before Disney, so this isn't a Disney thing. The difference is as simple as Qui-Gon accepted his death while others refused to die.

The only reason it is lazy is because it is repeated again in the same story. You don't have to like it, but if this really bothers you then you don't actually like Star Wars.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2022-06-18 at 08:22 PM.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Well that wasn't addressed to you, but for others to see.

But par for the course, you do realize you do not represent everyone right?
    cough cough.........
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    "I'm not enjoying this show and it's awful writing at all! Oh well, better keep watching the episodes as they come out."

Some people really do need to learn basic things like the fact they don't have to enjoy everything, the ability to just stop watching and move on like a well adjusted person, or that maybe some things just aren't for them and it's ok to just not bloody watch things they blatantly dislike. Stop forcing yourselves to be such miserable cunts on the internet. Be better.
    I would like to point out people can also enjoy something AND point out flaws in said thing.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    I would like to point out people can also enjoy something AND point out flaws in said thing.
    But when thats the only thing you do... or well this thread seems to be doing... then it doesnt seem like they are enjoying it. :P

How many pages have these arguments been going on?
    All comes down to how much star wars have you consumed.... if you havent watched much then many things in this show in particular may look like bad writing, and if youve watch alot then you would be more forgiving since you know what has happened before.

People cant let go... they just cant stand it if someone else isnt agreeing with them about the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    No! If you do that you "hate Star Wars", remember.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Otaka View Post
    People cant let go... they just cant stand it if someone else isnt agreeing with them about the show.
    That goes both ways, though.

Half of the things people have talked about are simple enough that they could simply be let go. Things like, "Man, she shouldn't have survived that wound." warrant little more than, "Yeah, that would hurt, but I guess she lived."

But no, people have to come back with, "Why do you hate Star Wars?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    No! If you do that you "hate Star Wars", remember.
    Again, if you're constantly complaining about the basic genre tropes and standard narrative canon of Star Wars, you're saying you don't like Star Wars. We're not talking about hating Jar Jar Binks as a character, here, we're talking about hating how lightsabers have always worked, or that the Force exists, or that it's a space opera rather than hard, realistic sci-fi.

Like, the stuff being complained about is Star Wars. That's what makes Star Wars an identifiable "thing". It's always been present. Luke was in so many circumstances that any reasonable person would've died in and nobody batted an eye, because he's a protagonist in a space opera and has magic powers. But suddenly it's an issue with characters in newer content?

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Again, if you're constantly complaining about the basic genre tropes and standard narrative canon of Star Wars, you're saying you don't like Star Wars. We're not talking about hating Jar Jar Binks as a character, here, we're talking about hating how lightsabers have always worked, or that the Force exists, or that it's a space opera rather than hard, realistic sci-fi.

Like, the stuff being complained about is Star Wars. That's what makes Star Wars an identifiable "thing". It's always been present. Luke was in so many circumstances that any reasonable person would've died in and nobody batted an eye, because he's a protagonist in a space opera and has magic powers. But suddenly it's an issue with characters in newer content?
    Yes yes, no true Scotsman would complain about anything. If you ever find any piece of Star Wars media less than 11/10, you're not a true fan. Impossible. Can't be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes yes, no true Scotsman would complain about anything. If you ever find any piece of Star Wars media less than 11/10, you're not a true fan. Impossible. Can't be.
    I know attacking straw men is easy, but if you want to get back to actually having a conversation, we'll welcome you back any time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Love that you missed this shit happening to GI IN THIS SERIES and still have this stance. Also say hi to Maul when you catch up.
    Okay another person that literally cant read. Read the last line again, I know, its hard, but you can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Your entire problem is 100% a you problem, then. If a battlestation that blows up a planet and can travel faster than the speed of light doesn't suspend your disbelief, but people surviving wounds that would be fatal to us in the real world - that's a you issue. Star Wars has always had magic, even if you disregard the Force, like Bacta, that can miraculously heal basically any injury - excepf for when you're Anakin Skywalker, then the plot demands you suffer.

Heck, Star Wars has people continuing to interact with the real world after their death. The Force is strong enough so people can keep existing and communicating with people alive, but Force users (especially motivated ones) that get stabbed is to much?

- - - Updated - - -

Two people can suffer the same wound. One lives, one dies. That's pretty normal in medicine.
    Pretty uncommon that one dies and the other is completely fine days later. You can be cool with it, doesn't mean I have to be.

Some people have been shot in the head and live, for most people that's lethal.

For most of Star Wars, time isn't defined. There are only 4 movies that have something that is timed, 2 of them are only in part of the movie (ANH and TFA) which the other two, the timeline is part of the plot.
    So, how much time has actually passed between scenes for most of Star Wars is unknown. For all we know for example with the Grand Inquisitor, he was in a bacta tank for over a week because we aren't told anything about how much time exists between scenes.

And Qui-Gon didn't die instantly. Also, don't tell me to keep up when you fell on your face. I didn't say you said anything about Maul. I am pointing out that someone surviving injuries like this is far more normal in Star Wars than them dying. Qui-Gon appears the exception, not the rule. And was so even before Disney, so this isn't a Disney thing. The difference is as simple as Qui-Gon accepted his death while others refused to die.

The only reason it is lazy is because it is repeated again in the same story. You don't have to like it, but if this really bothers you then you don't actually like Star Wars.
    The great bacta deux ex machina, another shit writing tool. Qui-gon died pretty soon after, it isn't like he lasted days or weeks or hours. I was pointing to the other mouth breathers that can't read my posts about Maul. I would disagree that it is common, I would say it is uncommon for humans to get gutted and survive a lightsaber.

Nice gate keeping with your excuse, how about I just turn it, you aren't a true star wars fan if you are okay with this bad writing and her living. See how dumb that is. You can enjoy lazy/bad writing i wont.
    Last edited by bledgor; 2022-06-18 at 09:10 PM.
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

7+ Year Old Account
    That's not what Endus is saying.

Endus is saying that people are complaining about things in Kenobi that are consistent with Star Wars as a whole as not making sense. However, it is internally consistent. Qui-Gon's death is the exception, not the rule.

Luke should have died multiple times in ESB, but live thanks to the "magic" two minute bacta bath for one. And was saved from falling to his death by the odd design choices of Cloud City. They aren't complaining about Bacta saving Luke, they accept it ... but Bacta saving other people? No, you can't do that.

I would be like if Overwatch introduced a Hero that was a super intelligent dog and going "THIS DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE!" despite having established animals have been genetically modified to be more intelligent.

- - - Updated - - -

The great bacta deux ex machina, another shit writing tool. Qui-gon died pretty soon after, it isn't like he lasted days or weeks or hours. I was pointing to the other mouth breathers that can't read my posts about Maul. I would disagree that it is common, I would say it is uncommon for humans to get gutted and survive a lightsaber.

Nice gate keeping with your excuse, how about I just turn it, you aren't a true star wars fan if you are okay with this bad writing and her living. See how dumb that is. You can enjoy lazy/bad writing i wont.
    Bacta is not a dues ex machina. Please don't get your definitions from CinemaSins.

The humans in star wars are not the humans of earth. They are not a 1 for 1 with us. Also, Star Wars is literally full of characters to survived conditions far worse than a lightsaber stab. It is appears based on what the story shows us that humans in the Star Wars galaxy are far more durable that humans in real life are.

Star Wars has had bad writing since the first movie. They aren't the most amazing writing of all time. There is some terrible written lines in all the movies.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I know attacking straw men is easy, but if you want to get back to actually having a conversation, we'll welcome you back any time.
    That's our Endus. Start with saying absurd things, then pull back and say that everyone else is being unreasonable for reacting to what he said.

/pat /pat

Bacta is not a dues ex machina. Please don't get your definitions from CinemaSins.

The humans in star wars are not the humans of earth. They are not a 1 for 1 with us. Also, Star Wars is literally full of characters to survived conditions far worse than a lightsaber stab. It is appears based on what the story shows us that humans in the Star Wars galaxy are far more durable that humans in real life are.

Star Wars has had bad writing since the first movie. They aren't the most amazing writing of all time. There is some terrible written lines in all the movies.
    I didn't, unlike you I can think for myself.

I forgot they are supermen that can withstand anything unless the plot needs them to die. Nothing you have said is true, they have better medicine, they aren't supermen/women, plenty of died of less things than getting gutted by a lightsaber too, don't do that(I mean Padma died of a freaking broken heart, cant be that strong).

Agreed, but that doesn't mean the quality is the same, it has gotten much worse, and thus people can no longer overlook it. It no longer even tries to follow its own logic and goes for rule of cool and even then fails a lot.

Lets put it this way, you are on the same side is Endus, still think you are right?
    Last edited by bledgor; 2022-06-18 at 09:59 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I didn't, unlike you I can think for myself.

I forgot they are supermen that can withstand anything unless the plot needs them to die. Nothing you have said is true, they have better medicine, they aren't supermen/women, plenty of died of less things than getting gutted by a lightsaber too, don't do that(I mean Padma died of a freaking broken heart, cant be that strong).

Agreed, but that doesn't mean the quality is the same, it has gotten much worse, and thus people can no longer overlook it. It no longer even tries to follow its own logic and goes for rule of cool and even then fails a lot.

Lets put it this way, you are on the same side is Endus, still think you are right?
    Except your usage is the same as theirs. Completely and totally wrong, and so clearly you aren't thinking for yourself. Maybe actually try it someday.

There is a wide gap between superman who can withstand anything and us. More durable =/= superman. And a broken heart doesn't actually disprove that because that is someone who has given up the will to live. It has nothing to do with durability.

Except it does follow its own logic, you just accept the logic in the past and now are going "no, that is unbelievable." You are just ignoring this for some reason because you appear to have some need to hate on this series from things you just accepted in the past. Bacta works exactly the same as it did when we were first introduced to in in ESB, but now it is suddenly an unacceptable "dues ex machina." No, you aren't thinking for yourself, you are repeating the same tired misinformed view of blind "I will hate Disney Star Wars solely because it is Disney Star Wars" haters.

Yes, because he is right and you're still wrong.
    –The Sith Code

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    people can no longer overlook it? did some of you not know about the EU or something? one of the staple greatest parts of starwar's (old republic) had stuff like Darth Sion be literally unkillable no matter how many time's he was struck down until he just gave up.

All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    people can no longer overlook it? did some of you not know about the EU or something? the staple greatest parts of starwar's (old republic) had stuff like Darth Sion be literally unkillable no matter how many time's he was struck down until he just gave up.

And I still find people praising that because you don't beat Sion through power, but words.

It is funny people complain about "Disney ruining Star Wars" by pulling things from Legends which the same people love.
    –The Sith Code

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    And I still find people praising that because you don't beat Sion through power, but words.

It is funny people complain about "Disney ruining Star Wars" by pulling things from Legends which the same people love.
    I feel like Legends have lived up to the name pretty well and alot of people haven't actually gone through any of the old EU and just know a few key parts second hand so when Disney starts grabbing parts directly from it they think it's all new stuff.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Except your usage is the same as theirs. Completely and totally wrong, and so clearly you aren't thinking for yourself. Maybe actually try it someday.

There is a wide gap between superman who can withstand anything and us. More durable =/= superman. And a broken heart doesn't actually disprove that because that is someone who has given up the will to live. It has nothing to do with durability.
    Cool, two people had the same thought, you must be a child because the only people I have heard like it are people below the age of 15, see how dumb your logic is, yet again?

Literally other than Jedi no one has been shown to be more durable than a normal human, you have proven nothing. You have no basis. You can be okay with it, doesn't mean I have to be. Again.

Except it does follow its own logic, you just accept the logic in the past and now are going "no, that is unbelievable." You are just ignoring this for some reason because you appear to have some need to hate on this series from things you just accepted in the past. Bacta works exactly the same as it did when we were first introduced to in in ESB, but now it is suddenly an unacceptable "dues ex machina." No, you aren't thinking for yourself, you are repeating the same tired misinformed view of blind "I will hate Disney Star Wars solely because it is Disney Star Wars" haters.

Yes, because he is right and you're still wrong.
    No it doesn't, since episode 7 they haven't follow it. In the past it was less defined as well, so you could let things slide. That is another part of it. Just because you can stomach crap and call it chocolate doesn't mean I will. You are still wrong, still ignorant, enjoy the company of endus, yikes.