Page 73 of 89 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I really don't know why this is confusing to people.

The Sith "rule of two" nonsense is, explicitly stated, that one master will train one apprentice, until that apprentice gains enough strength to kill their master and take their place. Betrayal is baked in. The difference between Trillia and Reva is that Reva was at risk from Vader twice; the first time when she lost Kenobi, and the second in that fight scene in Episode 5. In the first, she presented a new opportunity and enough foresight that Vader chose to give her another chance; Kenobi was still being chased. In the second, Reva having the balls to try and kill Vader was a good thing to Vader; he saw it coming but it showed she was tapping into her fear and anger and had the guts to try and take him out (the Grand Inquisitor, you'll note, does not; he's just a pathetic lapdog). Now, Inquisitors aren't proper Sith, ideologically, but this is the kind of moment that could make Vader see Reva as having potential beyond just being an Inquisitor.

Which is why he stabbed her non-fatally and cast her out. Because either she's able to tap into her hate enough to rise in power enough to come after him again, at which point he can try and force her to submit as an apprentice proper, or she'll fail to do so and he won't have to waste the time and effort. He left her alive because she had potential. Trillia was killed because she showed weakness and empathy. Reva's break with the Dark Side came after this moment. The scene with Obi-Wan through the door doesn't represent a shift away from Sith views; she's still feeding her anger and hatred, she just sees Obi-Wan as a useful tool to act on those emotions.

Reva trying to kill Vader is probably the only reason she survived; Vader clearly brought the Grand Inquisitor along to take the position back if she failed him a second time. He's probably just have killed her, except she tried to use the situation to off him, and that's both amusing and shows potential, hence the non-fatal stabbing and the opportunity to overcome.
    I don't think Vader cares one bit about the rule of two. Or the potential of anyone below him. Or Sith legacy for that matter.

Anyway, I liked the show. The hate comes from people who are blinded by nostalgia and don't actually want anything to change. The fact that new stuff exist is what bothers a lot of people.

I mean come on, it's been like that since forever. People who grew up with the original trilogy hated the prequels, people who grew up with the prequels hate the sequels (tho thats a bit warranted considering even Disney said they didnt know what they were doing with them). I'm certain in 15 years, people who grew up with the sequels and all these tv shows are going to hate whatever new Star Wars stuff comes out then.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    It's like they hired amateurs who either don't know what they are doing, or basically took their script and re-wrote it to push their own agenda - I don't know what is going on - but the pre-Disney star wars were never literary works of art for script writing or plots - but at least they made much more collective sense than this, and at least the art work, cgi, fights, cinematography planets backgrounds had a much much higher level of quality - they were definitely entertaining and beautiful to see, and while a bit simplistic or at least not choosing to go into depth - they made basic sense, this is just downright silly.
    Haven't watched ur vid yet, but what bothers me is that disney felt they had to hire a freaking youtuber after Mandalorian s01 for him improving luke skywalker's face.

Now...with anakin in the kenobi show, u had another youtuber showing how to de-age anakin...

Lucasfilm used to have the best current cgi n stuff, now they keep getting schooled by some fucking youtubers tweaking in their basements...how low the mighty have fallen.....

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    Look, Endus and I disagree on this topic a lot, but I honestly think you're on the wrong side of the issue here.

If you get older and less tolerant of certain things in your media and expect different tropes and whatnot...that's just you growing up and changing tastes. It's not really the job of Star Wars - or ANY form of media, for that matter - to change with you.

Mortal Kombat doesn't need to turn into a game about friends hanging out just because you got older and decided that uppercutting someone's head off isn't funny anymore.
    Comparing a HUGE fictional instance, years in the making, with a shitty beat-them up game with fatalities and babalities as its sole novelty.

You got me there, brah, already convinced.....
    /spit@Blizzard

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Kathleen Kennedy is writing her own vision of it
    I don't think Kathleen Kennedy is writing jack shit. She's an executive. She's been producing blockbuster movies for 40 years. She just wants to sell the product to as many people as possible.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    She's not even the primary villain. She's a lieutenant to the big bad. Why were people even expecting her to be the center focus?

And b!aming "diversity" is just complaining that she's not a white dude. Useless and prejudiced argument, without merit.
    If Disney wanted a white guy, they had him already. Painted white, in fact, the Grand Inquisitor. Funny, tho, they kill him by the (poor acting, self conflicting) diversity hire, just to have him gloat in the 5th episode... tell me that wasn't entertaining...

The whole Inquisitor stuff was so unneeded in the whole series, instead of being one of the fulcrums to boost OW back to Jedi status. Instead of this "save Leia" choice.

Anything Reva did, could have been done by Vader, with the help of informants.
    /spit@Blizzard

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Anyway, I liked the show. The hate comes from people who are blinded by nostalgia and don't actually want anything to change. The fact that new stuff exist is what bothers a lot of people.

I mean come on, it's been like that since forever. People who grew up with the original trilogy hated the prequels, people who grew up with the prequels hate the sequels (tho thats a bit warranted considering even Disney said they didnt know what they were doing with them). I'm certain in 15 years, people who grew up with the sequels and all these tv shows are going to hate whatever new Star Wars stuff comes out then.
    Then explain the love for the mandalorian? Your argument is weak, padawan.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    I love the new Star Wars shows. And the Sequel Trilogy isn't bad because the force is female, but because they literally re-hashed Episode IV for VII and wasted Snoke, Luke and Leia in the following movies. Well to be fair, IX was actually miles better than the other 2, but just because of Palpatine.
    I really, really can't stress this enough...

Snoke is one of the dumbest fucking Star Wars characters ever. Like he's Jar Jar level dumb. The only useful thing he ever did was getting killed by Kylo Ren. That scene alone makes Last Jedi better than the other two.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    Anything Reva did, could have been done by Vader, with the help of informants.
    Entirely wrong. The Empire had the Inquisition. By default, they're the antagonists for the series. You might not like the Inquisitors they used but it was still an organization that was very active during that time period.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    I don't think Kathleen Kennedy is writing jack shit. She's an executive. She's been producing blockbuster movies for 40 years. She just wants to sell the product to as many people as possible.
    She writes the checks though. She can say "More of that, less of that" (we don't know what she's basing her decisions on) and monkeys are back behind the typewriter to please the money queen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Snoke is one of the dumbest fucking Star Wars characters ever. Like he's Jar Jar level dumb. The only useful thing he ever did was getting killed by Kylo Ren. That scene alone makes Last Jedi better than the other two.
    He was controlled by Palpy to control Kylo.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Comparing a HUGE fictional instance, years in the making, with a shitty beat-them up game with fatalities and babalities as its sole novelty.

You got me there, brah, already convinced.....
    So you're not going to disagree with the substance, just that you don't like the scope of the property used in the analogy.

Good strategy.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post
    Kenobi was a mediocre show at best suffering from Terrible writing and low production values.

It really missed a opportunity in slow revealing at the end that Revas last name is Windu, and was saved by her Uncle Mace, trained as a infiltrator by him and had a Appearance by Sam Jackson at the end who comes fir her to heal her.
    Only if they had enough self sarcasm... alas...
    /spit@Blizzard

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Then explain the love for the mandalorian? Your argument is weak, padawan.
    Baby Yoda.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    I really, really can't stress this enough...

- - - Updated - - -

Entirely wrong. The Empire had the Inquisition. By default, they're the antagonists for the series. You might not like the Inquisitors they used but it was still an organization that was very active during that time period.
    Thanks for reinforcing my opinion that Disney underused what they had.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    So you're not going to disagree with the substance, just that you don't like the scope of the property used in the analogy.

Good strategy.
    I already disgareed with the substance in my original post, which you answered by disagreeing with me.

In essence you rehash "Star Wars was always like that". No essence in your post. That's why i didn't bother.

But you kept swinging. Get back in yer place now, cause there's nothing more to talk with you.
    /spit@Blizzard

So am I the only one that liked the series?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Not remotely, no. Star Wars fandom's just eating itself, as per usual. What few concerns I had about how this could effectively retcon the OT were resolved by the end of the finale; why Leia didn't mention knowing Obi-Wan personally in her message, why Vader did the "last time we met I was the apprentice and you the master" line despite these encounters, all answered and explained.

I already disgareed with the substance in my original post, which you answered by disagreeing with me.

In essence you rehash "Star Wars was always like that". No essence in your post. That's why i didn't bother.

But you kept swinging. Get back in yer place now, cause there's nothing more to talk with you.
    What is it with the increase in angry internet tough guys lately?

Anyway, the point isn't just "Star Wars was always that way" and you know it. The point is that Star Wars is under no obligation to change just because you changed, which was your initial argument. Just because you got older and your tastes changed doesn't mean that any given IP is obligated to change to suit you. It's up to you to find other things that suit your changing tastes.

That's not to say that a given IP should never try to court other demographics, of course. But that's another balancing act entirely.

no i thought it was great, and pretty much what i wanted. Now I want a Vader series...
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I honestly loved it I found Reva and her portrayal of the sith to be wonderful and it got me to download Swtor to go through the sith story’s again and the obiwan/Vader stuff hit all the right places for why I like the characters so much.

The worse thing I can say about the show is that I don’t like kid Leia but that’s me disliking the character type the acting was still good.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    She writes the checks though. She can say "More of that, less of that" (we don't know what she's basing her decisions on) and monkeys are back behind the typewriter to please the money queen.

He was controlled by Palpy to control Kylo.
    If you’re going to take that attitude, you’ll at least have to credit her for Mando, Rebels and Rogue One.

And a better writer would’ve made Snoke more interesting to begin with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I thought Obi-Wan Kenobi was alright, albeit a bit slow and too plodding in parts. I'd say among the modern Star Wars Disney+ series it rates above The Book of Boba Fett but falls short of The Mandalorian. I think the series is improved if you played Fallen Order which gives some more background and buildup to the Inquisitors and their relationship to the Sith (especially Vader), especially since the events of the game and Kenobi overlap to a degree, though I think they missed out by not having Cal Kestis appear or be mentioned in this series. I was a bit saddened that the Grand Inquisitor had very little to do in this series, but I liked Reva's arc and the whole notion of slowly allowing herself to become what she hated, and Vader's seeming awareness and subtle approval of Reva's corruption, at least until she quasi-redeemed herself a moment before midnight. Similar to Kenobi dealing with his own PTSD and coming to terms with what went down with Anakin. I even felt glad to see Anakin/Vader owning up to his own corruption, where before he blamed everything and everyone aside from himself for his own fall from proverbial grace.

With some better pacing and a little less filler, I think Kenobi could've been a strong contender for best of the Disney+ series.
    Last edited by Aucald; 2022-06-23 at 05:49 PM.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post
    News flash it's like that already. Everyone is either a Skywalker or directly tied to them.
    Err that’s not the point? Telling a story about a family is different to just throwing in gratuitous plot twists where there’s even more ‘relatives’. It’s why the sequel trilogy got screwed amongst other reasons.