marijuana grow lights causing interference for Amateur radio communications

It's good that the FCC is stepping in about these things.

The rumbling and buzzing would start like clockwork.

Gregg Mulder noticed the static each evening when he finished dinner and turned on his ham radio. The noise made it impossible for Mulder to communicate with other amateur radio enthusiasts.

So Mulder, who lives in Dimondale, built an antenna device called a sniffer and tracked the interference to a house a few doors down. The problem, Mulder determined, was a high-powered light used by his neighbor to grow cannabis.

It's legal for Michiganders to grow marijuana in their homes under certain circumstances. But some amateur radio operators complain that grow lights are interfering with their signals.

Problems can arise from products that exceed emission limits from the Federal Communications Commission. The uncertified products, typically the ballasts that send power to light bulbs, are often manufactured overseas.

'I didn't really want to get into a shouting match'
    Mulder said he confronted his neighbor in 2016, but didn't get cooperation until the FCC sent a warning letter on his behalf. After receiving the letter, the neighbor agreed to install filters that limited the interference.

"I didn't really want to get into a shouting match with my neighbor," Mulder said. "But it was interfering with a lifelong hobby of mine, and I wasn't just going to sit back and let that happen."

Related: Marijuana growers gobble up electricity, but Michigan pot law doesn't address efficiency

More than grow lights
    Grow lights aren't the only objects that can interfere with radio frequencies, particularly those used by amateur operators.

The FCC prohibits using or manufacturing products that create high levels of interference but unauthorized products, such as electric fences and light dimmers, can make their way into the marketplace. In some cases, the interference could be great enough to create problems for police and fire dispatchers.

Ed Hude, a state government liaison for the Michigan section of the American Radio Relay League, believes interference is becoming more common in Michigan following the state's legalization of marijuana.

Under Michigan law, it's been legal since 2008 for licensed caregivers to grow plants at home for medical use. In 2018, Michigan made it legal for adults ages 21 and over to grow their own cannabis for recreational purposes. The drug remains illegal at the federal level.

Local officials in Michigan have discretion about whether to permit commercial marijuana growing in their communities and those businesses need special licenses from the state.

Likely underreported
    The American Radio Relay League's Michigan section has received "a few" complaints about grow light interference in recent years and the problem is likely underreported, Hude said.

Several years ago, a neighbor's grow light near Mason gave off static that made it difficult for Hude to communicate with other amateur operators. The hissing noise stopped, Hude said, after he contacted the police about the issue.

Both Hude and Mulder started tinkering with ham radios when they were teenagers. Mulder likes to chat with people in other countries using Morse code.

But, Hude says amateur radio is more than a pastime. The ARRL hosts trainings to prepare members to assist with emergency communications in the event of a disaster.

The village of Kalkaska, one of the few northern Michigan towns to open its doors to cannabis businesses, has a specific provision in its marijuana ordinance that states lights must be FCC-compliant.

Kalkaska's village manager, Scott Yost, is himself an amateur radio enthusiast.

"We do this not only to protect amateur radio operators but we do this also to protect police and fire so they can communicate," Yost said. "That's our bigger concern — police, fire and also our airport."

FCC compliance
    The FCC declined to comment for this article, but the agency can fine people for manufacturing or using devices that emit too much interference.

Authorized lights should come with a label certifying FCC compliance, although there are knockoff products with fake labels, said Ed Hare, an engineer and laboratory supervisor with the American Radio Relay League.

High-powered lights can be used to grow all sorts of plants, such as orchids and tomatoes, although marijuana may be one of the most popular options.

Cyclical interference with radio signals can be a sign of a grow light, since many horticulturalists put their lights on a timer.

In many cases, compliance can be achieved via a conversation among neighbors, Hare said. If a conversation doesn't work, a cease-and-desist letter from the FCCoften does the trick.

An amateur radio operator might help a neighbor install filters to limit interference, for instance. Or a neighbor might agree to turn off the light at certain times of day.

"We'd rather work things out than have it literally become a federal case," Hare said.
    If you want to grow marijuana that's fine but don't do it in a manner that causes problems for other people. Be considerate and follow FCC regulations.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...Ss7ROS_6qxKc_U
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

This is the weirdest first world problem article I've come across in my 31 years of existence.

Thanks for that, I guess.

So, to all my weed growers out there, pls be considerate of the radio guys.

Interesting. Are the radio waves themselves protected? Couldn't anyone get on these frequencies and just be annoying? How are grow lights different than that? It seems both people should have the freedom to do what the want, but you shouldn't stop the grower if the grower is following the law. I wonder what would have happened if the grower refused modifications. I'd still side with the grower. Sucks, but this is probably going to be more commonplace and out with the old, in with the new?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Are the radio waves themselves protected? Couldn't anyone get on these frequencies and just be annoying? How are grow lights different than that? It seems both people should have the freedom to do what the want, but you shouldn't stop the grower if the grower is following the law. I wonder what would have happened if the grower refused modifications. I'd still side with the grower. Sucks, but this is probably going to be more commonplace and out with the old, in with the new?
    1. You require a license to transmit on those frequencies. Really, you need licenses to transmit radio in general outside of the unlicensed ISM bands (which are also subject to power limits) and certain other limited uses (e.g. low power personal FM transmitters). So the grower isn't following the law in this case.

2. It's not "grow lights" in particular, but any kind of high power non-incandescent light that isn't properly designed or built. Lights that are properly designed to comply with the regulations won't send out interference like this.

3. If they refused, the FCC can issue a fines of up to $500 per day of violation. That will quickly exceed the cost of replacing the lights with ones that work properly.
    Last edited by Masark; 2020-01-30 at 10:38 PM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Interesting. Are the radio waves themselves protected? Couldn't anyone get on these frequencies and just be annoying? How are grow lights different than that? It seems both people should have the freedom to do what the want, but you shouldn't stop the grower if the grower is following the law. I wonder what would have happened if the grower refused modifications. I'd still side with the grower. Sucks, but this is probably going to be more commonplace and out with the old, in with the new?
    nobody said they can't grow their pot. People are asking that they do it while following the FCC's guidelines so they aren't interfering with amateur radio transmissions. The grower wasn't following the law and that's the point.

Also yes amateur radio bands are heavily regulated and require licenses to use. Technically anybody can get on the bands but if you get tracked down the FCC will fine you alot of money. And yes amateur radio operators are good at tracking down transmissions. So you will be found out if you transmit without a license or are violating guildelines long enough.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    If the grower had a HAM license(costs $15 for the test, the license is free after that) would they be subject to a fine/penalties?
    Are you asking if his lights could be ok if he had a ham license? If that's what you're asking then no. They violate FCC regulations. That's why he put a filter on them after the FCC said something about it.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

How does a light that makes plant grow interfere with radio signals?

Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalosh Whalescream View Post
    How does a light that makes plant grow interfere with radio signals?
    here's an article from the ARRL that basically explains it.

http://www.arrl.org/grow-light-rfi

#IStandWithGinaCarano