1. #1
    Scarab Lord Velshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    One with the Light
    Posts
    4,891

    Am I getting old for raiding or?

    Hey everyone, so today topic is about me raiding in current WoW.

    I have been playing since vanilla and my first raiding experience was MC. As you know over the years Blizzard added more and more mechanics and more depths and complexity on raiding encounters. The current 5 man dungeon mechanics were raids mechanics years ago.


    I am not the best player ever when it comes to raiding hell not even close I am close to average or slightly above average when it comes to mythic raiding hardcore. For me personally my peak mythic raiding were MoP and WoD expansions. After that tbh raids encounters has so much how can I put it in English...Glitters and so many shit in the ground so much colors to the point I can easily get distracted and lost focus and when I raid over 2 hours now I start having issues like headache or super bad focus performance. Even when I put setting on low (I usually play on ultra or high) it is just so many glitters and shit in the ground to the point I lose sight of the entire raid boss encounter. Recent example is Azshara yes the fight is not super duper hard but damn I can't see shit at all... so many shinies and glitters its so painful over time.

    This is why I loved raiding in MoP/WoD while the mythic encounters were not faceroll but at the same time less glitters and shit than now (there are some exceptions like Dark Shaman encounter in SoO raid) but yeah you got my point.

    I don't have that issue with M+ currently only in raids. So am I getting old for raiding focus or what is going on here?
    Last edited by Velshin; 2020-01-27 at 05:14 AM.

  2. #2
    Last time I raided in WoW was tanking Antorus on my Blood DK. Cleared normal and did some heroic PUGs.

    The problem with raiding in WoW is how exhausting it is. You have to spend upwards of 30 minutes assembling a group, and then people spend 15 to 20 minutes arriving, and then you can FINALLY start clearing trash... and each trash clear between bosses takes about five to ten minutes. THEN you can start wiping over and over again. If your group disbands, you have to do it all over again, which really just kills my enthusiasm for the whole thing.

    I am currently a part of a raid static in FFXIV. We just log on at the time, spend maybe 5 to 10 minutes preparing, and then we queue up for the fight. And then we're at the boss. No need to clear trash or anything. We can start wiping over and over again for two hours. If I want to do it with other players, no problem. It helps that FFXIV raid sizes are eight player ordeals, so assembling a group is quick.

    For me, it's hard to go back to WoW raiding after experiencing FFXIV. FFXIV really shaves down the annoying downtime and lets you get straight to business.

    Another nice thing about FFXIV raids is that the bosses are scripted to the point where there is pretty much no RNG. The AoEs will ALWAYS land in that position, and the boss will ALWAYS target X and Y player in this order, so if you do the fight enough times you can know where to dodge in your sleep and know who will be targeted when. In WoW, you can screwed by bad RNG/AoE placements or unfortunate people being targeted and the like.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2020-01-26 at 09:11 PM.

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - Druid / Steam / MyAnimeList / IMDB - - - - - - - - - - - -

  3. #3
    Scarab Lord Velshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    One with the Light
    Posts
    4,891
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Last time I raided in WoW was tanking Antorus on my Blood DK. Cleared normal and did some heroic PUGs.

    The problem with raiding in WoW is how exhausting it is. You have to spend upwards of 30 minutes assembling a group, and then people spend 15 to 20 minutes arriving, and then you can FINALLY start clearing trash... and each trash clear between bosses takes about five to ten minutes. THEN you can start wiping over and over again. If your group disbands, you have to do it all over again, which really just kills my enthusiasm for the whole thing.

    I am currently a part of a raid static in FFXIV. We just log on at the time, spend maybe 5 to 10 minutes preparing, and then we queue up for the fight. And then we're at the boss. No need to clear trash or anything. We can start wiping over and over again for two hours. If I want to do it with other players, no problem. It helps that FFXIV raid sizes are eight player ordeals, so assembling a group is quick.

    For me, it's hard to go back to WoW raiding after experiencing FFXIV. FFXIV really shaves down the annoying downtime and lets you get straight to business.

    Another nice thing about FFXIV raids is that the bosses are scripted to the point where there is pretty much no RNG. The AoEs will ALWAYS land in that position, and the boss will ALWAYS target X and Y player in this order, so if you do the fight enough times you can know where to dodge in your sleep and know who will be targeted when. In WoW, you can screwed by bad RNG/AoE placements or unfortunate people being targeted and the like.
    Oh yeah I loved FFXIV I raided in Heavensward expansion but unfortunately I don't have real life time to play more than one MMO at the moment.

    But yeah maybe this is also part of the reason why I feel so tired and lose focus so easily in current WoW raiding.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Last time I raided in WoW was tanking Antorus on my Blood DK. Cleared normal and did some heroic PUGs.

    The problem with raiding in WoW is how exhausting it is. You have to spend upwards of 30 minutes assembling a group, and then people spend 15 to 20 minutes arriving, and then you can FINALLY start clearing trash... and each trash clear between bosses takes about five to ten minutes. THEN you can start wiping over and over again. If your group disbands, you have to do it all over again, which really just kills my enthusiasm for the whole thing.

    I am currently a part of a raid static in FFXIV. We just log on at the time, spend maybe 5 to 10 minutes preparing, and then we queue up for the fight. And then we're at the boss. No need to clear trash or anything. We can start wiping over and over again for two hours. If I want to do it with other players, no problem. It helps that FFXIV raid sizes are eight player ordeals, so assembling a group is quick.

    For me, it's hard to go back to WoW raiding after experiencing FFXIV. FFXIV really shaves down the annoying downtime and lets you get straight to business.

    Another nice thing about FFXIV raids is that the bosses are scripted to the point where there is pretty much no RNG. The AoEs will ALWAYS land in that position, and the boss will ALWAYS target X and Y player in this order, so if you do the fight enough times you can know where to dodge in your sleep and know who will be targeted when. In WoW, you can screwed by bad RNG/AoE placements or unfortunate people being targeted and the like.
    You're comparing pugging to a static though. When we had our raid team going in wow raid was at 8 and we pulled at 8, there was no "30 min. putting the group together and 15-20 minutes getting there"

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    I don't have that issue with M+ currently only in raids. So am I getting old for raiding focus or what is going on here?
    You need LOWEST GRAPHIC SETTINGS (1) and Projected textures MAX.

    Its the "standard" settings for raiding, you dont see anything with graphics on 7-10. You get used to the clear visibility pretty fast and DBM, BigWigs or WA's will turn to optional and not mandatory to participate in raiding.
    hidden information WoWArmory | Raider.IO | WoWProg | logs Logs1 | Logs2 | Logs3

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    You need LOWEST GRAPHIC SETTINGS (1) and Projected textures MAX.

    Its the "standard" settings for raiding, you dont see anything with graphics on 7-10. You get used to the clear visibility pretty fast and DBM, BigWigs or WA's will turn to optional and not mandatory to participate in raiding.
    this. what is strange is the fact that how blizz hasnt realized this by now? I am still good with raids, (downed hive mind hc yesterday yey!) but damn it too much glitter, light, effects and shit. if possible I would like to close all the spell effects for others. In Blade and Soul, you can do this. It only shows effect of your character, rest is animating but no spells, no effects etc, so FPS increases dramatically.

    after that HC hivemind fight yesterday, I started to look for a way to disable damage numbers you see on the screen. Makes me hate using whirlwind.

  7. #7
    The Patient Mightytasty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    271
    Try playing rdps or healing. Mdps is kind of a cluster fuck.

  8. #8
    Many melee - even at the "professional" level - complain about this problem so it's definitely not you. Ostensibly they put in some settings to reduce visual pollution a while back, but it really hasn't done much to alleviate the troubles faced by melee in basically every raid ever.

    I don't know what a good solution would be, short of DRASTICALLY cutting friendly fire effects.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •