Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Well that's disappointing again, ingame cutscenes suck, they should stop do them entirely in 2020, that's a disgrace.

If any, for Tyrande's story, she should have replaced Sylvanas in Shadowlands cinematic. Well thinking about it it would make sense and wouldn't be tons of work beyond a new CGI model : she can use bow and arrows too, and you could justify her breaking the veil to Shadowlands because she wants to kill the Jailer to defeat Sylvanas (well, considering her "revenge" is not achieved yet, of course, because we all know it isn't, except WoW writers apparently).
    Honestly I would have preferred that over a third opening cinematic in a row featuring Sylvanas. More new figures please.

I like the CGI- and in-game cinematics, obviously, but I'd rather just have events play out the way they used to, over this in-game cutscene stuff. Not into it.

They really should stop being called Kaldorei (children of the stars) - they've for all intents and pruposes become Forest elves.. the Star culture of the priesthood and the arcane heritage is so poorly presented in the Daranssians in-game, I've grown tired of telling people they're night elves, not forest elves.

The trees are the purview of the druids, but the long vigil necessitated a forest lifestyle when the arcane was banned, with it returned, the original plan was to have both aspects of the night elves from their 2 previous eras (pre-sundering and long vigil) now play a role, making them more htan one-track elven group. Forest elves are represented in the half-elven CEnarian race and Nelf druids, arcane elves are represented in the nightborne and Highborne NElf mages. The NElf race was supposed to be a combination of both because it was a full, multi-faceted and nationed race.

But thanks to lack of development, they have just regressed to one-track elves, whiles humans get the only real development on the alliance as blizzard still largely focuses on horde races. this has left night elves largely in classic state (forest state) for most of wow. And though legion went a long way to show the arcane side of the night elves through the nightborne, when they took them over to the horde, too many players don't see them as the arcane side of the night elves - as you head back to the Darnassians, it's back to only forest and ruins.

Until they present the highborne night elves in a similar way to the nightborne, and show the Priesthood of Elune to be more than forest rangers and actual arcane wielding caster priests - the Night elf identity would always appear to people who've only played wow for warcraft story as Wood/Forest elves. In which case, blizzard should either fix them to actually be Kaldorei or change the name to Children of the Wood/Forest (just like the Dryads/Keepers)

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    They really should stop being called Kaldorei (children of the stars) - they've for all intents and pruposes become Forest elves.. the Star culture of the priesthood and the arcane heritage is so poorly presented in the Daranssians in-game, I've grown tired of telling people they're night elves, not forest elves.

The trees are the purview of the druids, but the long vigil necessitated a forest lifestyle when the arcane was banned, with it returned, the original plan was to have both aspects of the night elves from their 2 previous eras (pre-sundering and long vigil) now play a role, making them more htan one-track elven group. Forest elves are represented in the half-elven CEnarian race and Nelf druids, arcane elves are represented in the nightborne and Highborne NElf mages. The NElf race was supposed to be a combination of both because it was a full, multi-faceted and nationed race.

But thanks to lack of development, they have just regressed to one-track elves, whiles humans get the only real development on the alliance as blizzard still largely focuses on horde races. this has left night elves largely in classic state (forest state) for most of wow. And though legion went a long way to show the arcane side of the night elves through the nightborne, when they took them over to the horde, too many players don't see them as the arcane side of the night elves - as you head back to the Darnassians, it's back to only forest and ruins.

Until they present the highborne night elves in a similar way to the nightborne, and show the Priesthood of Elune to be more than forest rangers and actual arcane wielding caster priests - the Night elf identity would always appear to people who've only played wow for warcraft story as Wood/Forest elves. In which case, blizzard should either fix them to actually be Kaldorei or change the name to Children of the Wood/Forest (just like the Dryads/Keepers)
    Common misconception in regards to humans. Humans do not get development, they get character focus. As a race, the humans of stormwind have no culture and weirdly little lore. It hurts the Alliance as a whole given their "main race" is itself entirely visual based since blizzard has made no steps to actually flesh them out.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

Wow, what a complete shower of shit.

It's almost as if somebody at Blizzard remembered that Tyrande was supposed to be doing something, and just knocked that out in about 10 minutes. No need to trouble the CGI team, or do any writing other than "I guess they won then".

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    Wow, what a complete shower of shit.

It's almost as if somebody at Blizzard remembered that Tyrande was supposed to be doing something, and just knocked that out in about 10 minutes. No need to trouble the CGI team, or do any writing other than "I guess they won then".
    This cutscene was made a year ago for the darkshore cinematic.

They simply forgot to turn it on.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

oh wow, so they cheer at the end now? well that makes the Genocide of an entire people and their ancestral homelands okay. And totaly makes it okay that for the 2nd time the horde well full on Mustage twiling evil, at no cost or penalty.

Its ironic that the writing team understands that it was NOT the big giant tree that defined them and made the night elves thrive, but their social bonds and community. Yet in real life, the devs destroyed the in-game communities and social bonds in WoW in favor of a bunch of systems and game modes.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    This cutscene was made a year ago for the darkshore cinematic.

They simply forgot to turn it on.
    Normally I'd think something like this is just people being negative... but given Blizzard's behavior recently, I can believe it.

To see this after the N'zoth finale (even if it has been released before, I hadn't realised) I'm just getting less and less interested in WoW's future. The lore team seems to forget central plot points in their own story (EG: The Night Elves were pissed in WCIII because the trees are not just trees but are inhabited by the wisp spirits of the ancestors), and these cut scenes, while initially very cool in Legion, are used to the point where the in-game quest dialogues are much preferable to me. The only part of these resolutions that feel inspiring is the voice acting at this point.

So the Night Elves just end up like the Asgardians from MCU? Will Thor... err Tyrande end up drinking too much and playing fortnight? Then Anduin come and try to convince her to save the world?

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    Common misconception in regards to humans. Humans do not get development, they get character focus. As a race, the humans of stormwind have no culture and weirdly little lore. It hurts the Alliance as a whole given their "main race" is itself entirely visual based since blizzard has made no steps to actually flesh them out.
    It's true.. when you look at the heroes used, the VAST majority are humans. Even waifu / super saiyan Illidan/Tyrande/Malfurion rarely get used (we ddin'dt see Malf till Cata, and he appeared briefly, with short cameos in Legion and Darkshore)..Tyrande did nothing in-game till MoP (that's 8 years just sitting in Darnassus, only for her firest meanignful game role to be Varian telling her how to do tactics .. /rolleyes, Suramar and Darkshore were the first times we saw the character, and she did not flatter. They also cut her Broke shore role (she was teh centre of the zone, till it was swapped to be Class halls driven with the Legion involvement greatly increased. (we were so fatigued with them by the time we hit Argus, the night elf stuffthe deves were tiered with, a blip in the park, as you rushed through 100-110 , flying by Azsuna and Val'sharah, while Suramar, somehow got turned from it's night elf focus to now we're blood elves who popped out of nowhere in 7.1 to become besties in the allied race patch.

Anyway, at least you see human activity everywhere the alliance is involved. It's always human troops, human organisations, human weaponry , buildings (garrisons), human bases. Always. You had to wait till 8.1 (18 years after WC3, to see Darnassian archer units in battle, 7.0 to see Moonguard and Wardens. While demon hunterse were always there, ofc 7.0 is where you really see them.

As for the night elf priesthood... worse it's even less well portrayed than the highborne and arcane elements. THe priesthood only ever show up to do a quick heal or are otherwise supposed to be sentinels and huntresses - only in 8.1 did you see Tyrande for the first time cast spells in the story continuity (you saw her in the End time peak of the possible future).. you never see the night elf priesthood doing preist stuff like in WC3 or in WotA book ..no units casting Starfall and moon/star spells.

They've.. I should stop.. I'm getting worked up over make-belief.

wow that was underwhelming..

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    They are night hunters, ergo children of the stars.
    Haha, Nymrohd, they've become that, but Children of the Stars is not appropriate anymore.. not only do they almost have nothing to do with the night any longer, the "stars" and the arcane it signifies is so scantily shown in both the priesthood (who are just sentinels and rangers) or the mages (highborne or Moonguard) - who seem to be more kirin'tor in style rather than adopting the pre-sundering distribution done so well for the Nightborne.

When they called them Children of the Stars - this spoke to the Arcane Well of Eternity, the titan discovery of their destiny and identity. The name Kal - is from titan, Kalimdor, and Kaldorei .

It meant NIGHT hunters - it is stupid to call yourself Children of the Stars, you call yourself Children of the Night

I'm pretty sure blizzard did not initially mean night by stars. The arcane part of the night elves is as huge as the nature part, and the core of their identity. That influence was baked into their origin story from the arcane well, and their affinity and aptitude for it. Just because players largely forget or don't know this, doesn't mean it isn't part of the race.

Just cos you see them in forest and trees, hasn't yet negated their origin and what their race actually is. Especially given the Darnassians are one of the only pure elven stock. Despite not using magic for nearly 10k years, people forget they were constantly surrounded and suffused with the Well of Eternity and the Moonwells, their arcane capacity isn't one bit diminished.. all they were really rusty at was using it for spellwork .. and blizzard gave them the Shen'dralar group who weren't rusty at all to help them with that.

My point - is they linked the stars, the arcane and an original destiny of the night elves before the legion's arrival changed everything for 10k years, now they're gone, and even during that, the people kept their identity. It shows me that it is the druids that were the forest elf kind, and th others were living making do. This is what I get from it.

If they don't intend to actually develop NIGHT lf, then change the name. From Kaldorei to Forestdorei or Treedorei. And while living in a massive tree doesn't mean you're only about trees, like Darnassus showed, you can have civilization and cities to (think of Loth'lorien in LotR - yes you can live in a fused nature + arcane existence - I like blizzard's interpretations, when they describe Suramar and Zin'Azshari being built with a combination of arcane woven in with nature... when you see the City of Zin'Azsahri in Warbringers, look at how much nature is iinterwoven throughout the city, some buildigns have gardens on top, .. you see a proper fusion of nature and the arcane in a city - which bear in mind is a city.. but that's not the oly rendition of one. You have shal'nir as a druid type town.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhh .. I spend too much time thinking about this crap. Good bye

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    They are night hunters, ergo children of the stars.
    The trees and the forest arementioned and noted far more in the night elf portrayals in-game.. because they just didn't develop more of them after Classic.

We know Elune, the stars, the arcane, the well of eternity, the moon wells - are key parts of this group - but you see very little shown or mentioned. To have such a name implies a culture with some substantial portion centred around it.

The Long-vigil is not supposed to be "typical of a night elf" - at least not how the story is written.. the Long vigil was a Mandate to protect the world from the Burning Legion that lasted 10k years, it necessitated the banning of the use of arcane magic (not arcane or magical energy btw), and the existence primarily based on the forest. This ofc is a druids lifestyle, so that order grew during this period, but the way it comes across is like it's 90% of the night elves, when at best it was half (the male half). Also absent from that era was doing "civilization" - their goals weren't prosperity, family, increase, advancement or progress..their goal was safeguard the world, stop anyone from finding or utilising the Well of Eternity to make sure demons don't return. The druids pact was to help fix nature the invasion and sundering broke. This isn't life as normal

Furthermore, once the long vigil ends, and the arcane returns, as does civilization, as most of these people were alive in the civilization era, it stands to reason that we should see what the Star culture means, and how that weaves into civilization, even if the arcane usage and practice is much less widespread, we are missing this.

I obviously can't stop posting about this it seems.

20 people cheering at Tyrande. Epic, emotional, brave.

So basically, in canon, Alliance is neigh impenetrable. Winning on every front that has been assaulted. But Horde cannot protect the largest city and naval foothold they had.

Man, imagine if the third WF rumors were true. The cutscene of Alleria and the Human Potential would set the world ablaze with her powerful speech of Ren'dorei as a people.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Lolwut? Go read the short stories Blizz published. Most of the civilians got out. Like, your numbers are reversed. There were so many they overflowed Stormwind and carpeted the countryside outside the city.

There was never a night elf presence in Aszhara to lose, for one, and as for Ashenvale, they haven't "held" it since WC3.

Your headcanon is weird.
    Sorry mate, the ingame events very cleary state that most of the night elves are dead. Thats what the whole Quest was about where you try to evacuate as many as possible and fail miserably. I understand there might be hints in the books that say otherwise, but if ingame events contradict external sources, ingame events win.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Well that's disappointing again, ingame cutscenes suck, they should stop do them entirely in 2020, that's a disgrace.

If any, for Tyrande's story, she should have replaced Sylvanas in Shadowlands cinematic. Well thinking about it it would make sense and wouldn't be tons of work beyond a new CGI model : she can use bow and arrows too, and you could justify her breaking the veil to Shadowlands because she wants to kill the Jailer to defeat Sylvanas (well, considering her "revenge" is not achieved yet, of course, because we all know it isn't, except WoW writers apparently).
    Honestly I would have preferred that over a third opening cinematic in a row featuring Sylvanas. More new figures please.
    Honestly, the idea of Tyrande doing exactly what Sylvanas did in the cinematic, just with another motivation would make sooo much more sense and IMO for a way more engaging story

7+ Year Old Account
    "Now that the war is over, I declare our land retaken!! Take that haters!"
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Has Tyrande always had vampire like fangs? Cinematic still on the front page has her with vampiric teeth which seems odd unless its part of the effect from Elune that she got.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    All Night Elves have fangs
    Ah. Just seems like it stood out more and didn't notice before then.