Racist House Rep. Steve King Crowdfunding Memes, Ignoring Copyrights

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...-steve-king-ad

The mother of the boy in the "Success Kid" meme has sent Rep. Steve King, who is known for his racist and anti-immigrant remarks, a cease-and-desist letter after the famous image was used in a fundraising campaign ad for his reelection.

Attorneys for Laney Griner sent King and his campaign the letter on Monday arguing that the lawmaker was infringing on her copyright and violating her son's rights by using the image in an ad with the words "FUND OUR MEMES."

The ad appeared on WinRed, an online campaign donor platform. King also posted a link to the ad on his Facebook page.

In a series of tweets, Griner said King and his campaign did not have her permission to use the photo of her son and called on the member of Congress to immediately remove the image from his campaign sites.

"Neither I, my son, nor 'Success Kid' have any affiliation with Representative King, nor would we have ever agreed to this use," Griner tweeted. "I do not endorse Representative King and, like most people, I strongly disagree with his views."

King's staff and his campaign did not immediately return BuzzFeed News' requests for comment.

By Monday afternoon, the post, which included a link to the WinRed ad and asked "Do you enjoy our memes?? ������ If so, please click the link below," had been removed from King's Facebook page.

King, who has served in Congress since 2003, has a history of making racist statements, has spoken in support of white nationalism and against immigration, and made remarks defending incest and rape. Last year, House Republican leadership removed King from his committee assignments because of the racist comments.

Last week, Griner retweeted an image of the ad on King's Facebook page, saying that she did not give the lawmaker permission to use the photo.

"I have/would never give permission for use of my son's photo to promote any agenda of this vile man or that disgusting party," she tweeted.

Griner first posted the picture of Sam with a fistful of sand and a smug look on his face to her Flickr page in 2007. The image went viral and eventually became known as the "Success Kid" meme. Today, the image is still used by people to illustrate an achievement or satisfaction.

Griner initially licensed the image through Getty but ultimately decided to get the copyright, which was registered in 2012, according to the letter. Since then, Griner has fielded many requests to use the image in advertisements and for online campaigns.

The image has been licensed by Honey Bunches of Oats for television ads and Coca-Cola for a Super Bowl commercial. In 2013, the Obama administration used the image to promote immigration reform, with Griner's permission.

But not all companies have reached out to get authorization. In 2015, Griner sued a fireworks retailer for using the image without her permission. That matter was resolved in a confidential settlement, said Stephen Rothschild, Griner’s attorney.

"Our client has a long-established history of licensing 'Success Kid' to legitimate advertisers," Griner's attorneys wrote in the letter to King. "Unlike you and your campaign, they followed the law, gave our client the opportunity to approve or disapprove of their uses, bargained for licenses, and paid for the rights they legitimately acquired."
    So he's not raising money to fund his re-election, raise money for the RNC writ-large, or for any other reasonable cause. He's crowdfunding for memes to "trigger the libs".

And he's using an copyrighted image of a minor in the process, without approval or payment, and has subsequently received a cease and desist letter as a result.

This is the absolute state of things.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2020-01-27 at 11:22 PM.

Let's see how many people donate to white supremacists.

Make sure you get all their names, and let the world know exactly who supports white supremacists.

Man, at least use a meme from 2019 or current year, this is normie shit!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    Man, at least use a meme from 2019 or current year, this is normie shit!
    Yep.

The GOP is out here recycling memes from two decades ago while the Democrats are actively trying to court DePiglio's vote.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

This memeing manchild is 70 years old btw.

10+ Year Old Account
    With memes this old, I'm surprised he isn't sending the dancing oogachaka baby by email

Thats pretty lame reddit tier meme anyway. If thats his idea of a "funny meme" then I dont want to see the rest of his memes.

How long is that racist going to keep his office anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    How long is that racist going to keep his office anyways?
    As long as his constituents in Iowa's 4th district keep voting for him.

Based off his recent town halls, I'd say there's a good shot he loses the next election, especially since the GOP has seemed less inclined to support him as of late.

But then again, incumbency and lazy voters often leave us with garbage officials.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure he could find some cat memes that his type of people could relate to here:
    http://www.catsthatlooklikehitler.com

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Let's see how many people donate to white supremacists.

Make sure you get all their names, and let the world know exactly who supports white supremacists.
    We know a few here who would and probably do.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    We know a few here who would and probably do.
    I'm sure we do.

Donor lists are public. Let the world know exactly who supports white supremacy in this country, and publish the shit out of his donor list. Boycott their businesses, tell their bosses, and threaten to boycott those businesses, as well. Let's have us some freedom of speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm sure we do.

Donor lists are public. Let the world know exactly who supports white supremacy in this country, and publish the shit out of his donor list. Boycott their businesses, tell their bosses, and threaten to boycott those businesses, as well. Let's have us some freedom of speech.
    I think you have to donate above a certain amount before it becomes public.