Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How do you react when people try to talk to you in your second language in public?

Most of the time I just keep walking without responding if people address me in English.

Why should people, me included, bother to leave a response then?

I don't speak a second language but I've had people try to speak to me in spanish or punjabi before.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    Most of the time I just keep walking without responding if people address me in English.
    ???

I respond the same in every language. Spanish/English/German.

French I respond awkwardly. I don't remember that much french, so I understand it but can't communicate back effectively.

I even respond when somebody talks to me in Italian or Portuguese. I don't speak those 2 languages but you can get basic stuff across by mixing in spanish.
    Last edited by Ragnarohk; 2020-01-27 at 10:44 PM.

"Sorry, I only really understand English". If it seems like I might be able to muddle through some Spanish with them or otherwise help them figuring out where they're going or whatever, I'll take a shot at it. I have just enough Spanish and Korean that we might be able to get there if their question is easy.

10+ Year Old Account
    ...I respond to them to the best of my abilities, just as I would had they talked to me in my first language... why wouldn't I?

Given, since I am quite fluent in my second language (English), ability isn't much of an issue here...

But still, just ignoring them is kinda rude...

If it's tourists asking for help I will help. If anything else I will ignore. xD

I grew up speaking two languages and I can speak both like a native speaker. Which should be considered my second language? English being my 4th language.

If someone spoke to me in English here in Sweden, I'd be a decent human being and respond to them, since they'd likely be asking me about something. I'd also feed the stereotype of Swedes being properly educated in a second language, even though I never actually received any official training for it.

I am more comfortable speaking, thinking, consuming media and writing using English anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    If someone spoke to me in English here in Sweden, I'd be a decent human being and respond to them, since they'd likely be asking me about something. I'd also feed the stereotype of Swedes being properly educated in a second language, even though I never actually received any official training for it.

I am more comfortable speaking, thinking, consuming media and writing using English anyway.
    The accent though. I hate hearing english with a swedish accent.

Quote Originally Posted by Heran View Post
    The accent though. I hate hearing english with a swedish accent.
    Each to their own, I don't mind any accents as long as they can communicate somewhat, which is less likely from some parts of the world than others...

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, considering I'm in Sweden and swedish is my second language. I usually overreact, like "hur vågar du prata med mig på svenska, din svennebanan?! Pričaj srpski da te čitav svet razume!"

10+ Year Old Account
    The language used doesn't really matter to me. If I have the time, inclination, and ability, I say something. Then again, I'm a guy, I'm reasonably well trained in self defense, and I'm in a crowded city where random people don't interact much. I have the luxury of feeling that I can afford a few words.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Depends if they are polite or not. If they dont say hi before they start asking me questions I just ignore them.

Quote Originally Posted by Player Eleven View Post
    If they're tourists that need help I'll help them. If it's people living here I'll just ignore them, they should learn swedish if they're going to live in sweden. I mean actually learn, not the broken shit so many try to speak.
    You do realize that speaking a language poorly is literally them trying to learn the language... right. You are pissed that they are doing the exact thing you claim you want them to be doing.

In the end, this seems more like racism than anything else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the way they approach. If they are polite, I don't see a reason why not at least answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    You do realize that speaking a language poorly is literally them trying to learn the language... right. You are pissed that they are doing the exact thing you claim you want them to be doing.

In the end, this seems more like racism than anything else.
    This. 100 times this.

I was treated so badly in France because of this. I lost all my motivation, left the country and quit learning the language.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    This. 100 times this.

I was treated so badly in France because of this. I lost all my motivation, left the country and quit learning the language.
    If you’re learning French dont go to France. Go to Canada.

On topic:

It depends.

I’ve had people try to talk to me in Spanish and called me Jose.... she was racist, she was ignored.

But generally when it happens it is literally a person who speaks Spanish talking to me either because they’re lost or about food at a store.
    Last edited by Themius; 2020-01-29 at 01:36 PM.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    me speaking english wont hurt my ego, count me in.

I will gladly respond to people speaking to me in one of my second languages.

I am proud to know many languages! It is a chance to show off!
    and the geek shall inherit the earth