Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Which are the best professions at Retail?

You can help me to know which are the best professions in BFA taking in mind the PvP/PVE/ Gold making.

Herb/Alchi/Enchants.

Tailors but only at the release of the expansion for bags making purpose.

I like engineering and leather working for the 3 mythic ilvl items since I don't raid mythic anymore. And engineering has some fun items for PvP.
    CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.5Ghz Motherboard: Asus Z170-A RAM: Corsair Lpx 16gb GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 PSU: EVGA 650W M.2: Samsung 960 EVO 500gb SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB Monitor: BenQ GW2765 27" Mouse: Corsair Harpoon RGB Keyboard: Corsair K63 Headset: Sennheiser Game One

Quote Originally Posted by Crawlerxx View Post
    You can help me to know which are the best professions in BFA taking in mind the PvP/PVE/ Gold making.
    Herb/Alch

Don't even bother with enchanting. Depending on the server, you may never make back the investment you made just to get to max Enchanting.

Alch sells well, doesn't require any outside materials, you can make extreme return on investments with procs (look at the Alchemy Tool of the Trade, Silas' Sphere)

Alch also is consistently required for raiders, where enchants are only on new pieces of gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    I leveled herb/alch and I'm astonished.

With herb anchor farming I was able to make 10k+ gold/hour. Stars are easy to acquire, absolutely not comparable with Legion's grind.

With alchemy I can actually sell flasks and potions with profit. Remember that with Silas average proc is 1.8. Profit is not huge, but it's there.

I had ench/tailor on previous char. They are nothing compared to herb/alch. Everything sells in AH at loss. Profits are tiny and rare.

For gold making, nothing currently beats Alch / Herb. No other profession even comes close.

Quote Originally Posted by spalernTJ View Post
    For gold making, nothing currently beats Alch / Herb. No other profession even comes close.
    can you farm herbs and make some gold, for sure.

All servers are different, but on mine (Shadowsong) there is no profit in flasks (or really anything). Flasks almost always sell for costs or maybe with 5-10% profit margin. Lots of times they sell for below costs.

So can you make flasks and sell for gold. yes.

Can you make flasks and sell for profit, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Thzz View Post
    can you farm herbs and make some gold, for sure.

All servers are different, but on mine (Shadowsong) there is no profit in flasks (or really anything). Flasks almost always sell for costs or maybe with 5-10% profit margin. Lots of times they sell for below costs.

So can you make flasks and sell for gold. yes.

Can you make flasks and sell for profit, not so much.
    Are you counting the 1.7x proc rate for Silas and rank 3?

On my server flasks go for about 800g each, they cost around 1100g each to craft so as long as I have Silas proc it's quite profitable. In fact almost all potions are very profitable as long as you have Silas on my server. I've made somewhere around 400k profit in the past week with nothing but Alchemy. I usually make around 20 of each flask and around 100 of each potion per day, which after procs is between 30-40 of each flask around around 160-190 of each potion.

Engi for giving you auction house in boralus (unless you got the long boi)..

herb/alch are the two moneymaking kings.
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheor View Post
    I like engineering and leather working for the 3 mythic ilvl items since I don't raid mythic anymore. And engineering has some fun items for PvP.
    engineering is far superior to LW in 8.3.

That mythic head piece is azerite gear and cannot be corrupted, while pants and boots can be corrupted - the problem with that is craftted gear can never be corrupted. So unfortunatley this profession is lackluster, in with how corruption gear works as even much lower ilvl of gear with a tier 3 corruption, like infinite stars or twilight devastation is far better than a higher ilvl.

besides, engineering provides tons of useful an fun stuff most importantly are the portal devices, there is plenty of stuff to do, many portals got removed and this will help a great deal to smooth it out.

Its even more profitable than it used to be in the past, you can make multiple mounts that sell for quite a bit gold and weapons, that might or might not sell depending on the server and how many people are willing to play alts.

the only downside right now is, you cannot modify your wrathion cloak with engineering.

Its the profession you have to take if you are not a mythic raider, and even if you are you might want it.

If you raid a lot alchemy is kinda best. You want 2 hours flask. Maybe gold is not really an issue for an old main, but it feels more satisfying to have that 2 hours duration and you can do really useful potions and flask that are useful in any kind of situation, even pvp. especially pvp.
    + i learned that even on maxed out pop servers many extremely useful potions are not listed in the AH, no matter the day and time.
    If you don't have alchemy on at least one character on your server you shoot yourself into the knee...actually, it also provides some materials with a daily cd for engineer mounts, those are always expensive to buy.

So, alchemy and engineering it is for the main.

LW, Tailoring, BM all work too, the gear for alts kinda do sell, probably it would sell more, if blizz suddenly announces some stuff like essences are now account wide...but apart from that i see no true benefit for these professions as a main, i used them only for fun and rpg reasions not efficiency - devs should make those professions great again, i guess. A start would be to add corruption to crafted gear, that is soulbound.

Actually now that i think about it, i got the strong impression the devs only put work and creativeness in 2 professions and forgot about the rest...and thats kinda the case since forever, now.

Still dissappointed when i see inscription in 8.3. The trinkets should have been really of mythic quality - trinkets cannot be corrupt and BoE, it would have made inscription pretty powerful, probably more so than alchemy and engineering in terms of gold making. But it rather looks like its worser than even jewelcrafting.
    Last edited by Tyrannica; 2020-03-01 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    Are you counting the 1.7x proc rate for Silas and rank 3?

On my server flasks go for about 800g each, they cost around 1100g each to craft so as long as I have Silas proc it's quite profitable. In fact almost all potions are very profitable as long as you have Silas on my server. I've made somewhere around 400k profit in the past week with nothing but Alchemy. I usually make around 20 of each flask and around 100 of each potion per day, which after procs is between 30-40 of each flask around around 160-190 of each potion.
    yes Silas, yes rank 3

all servers are different. Zin has been at ~50g and anchor ~90g since 8.3. flask have been selling for 600-800g. very little if any profit.

no money in flasks on my server (shadowsong). no money with enchanting or JC either, those are the only profs I've used in the past to make gold.

with few exceptions, stuff sells right at costs or slightly below.

^^ yes.

Seems like profs are now more like archeology, chasing achievements, pets battles etc etc.. some people will find them fun to do.

Making gold will no longer be the motivator.

For me making gold was the challenge/fun. Crafting things so people buy them while making no profit is no fun for me.

I still question the continued posters who come on and say omgz I still make zillions. Sell zillions, sure. Make zillions of profit, I'm skeptical.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawlerxx View Post
    As others have said before Herbalism/Alchemy/Enchanting, probably in that order. The rest are quite pointless (insc runes may be good for high end raiders though, but it's debatable).
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

10+ Year Old Account
    Engi is all around full of useful stuff like mailbox, ah, repairbots, nitro etc etc. Alchy has double flask duration so even when you dont sell much, you still use half as many flasks.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

In BFA herb and alchemy are the best. Fishing was also profitable in BFA.

Herb and alchmeny is so far superior every single xpac then slowly fall off at almost end xpac plus FIshing is a must.

3+ Year Old Account
    Are you guys still able to make decent gold? I just rolled a fresh 120 and am wondering if I should even bother. I would mainly try for the brutasaur mount but I am not sure if profs would be enough income.

People still buy Uncanny Gear on my Server. I would say i sell one piece per week at minimum.
    That's about 10k for 1 min crafting and reposting every day. It's slow, but it is efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkteacup View Post
    Are you guys still able to make decent gold? I just rolled a fresh 120 and am wondering if I should even bother. I would mainly try for the brutasaur mount but I am not sure if profs would be enough income.
    If you're intelligent with your materials gathered with gathering professions it's still possible to earn a pretty penny or two. Mining and herbalism mainly. I always disliked farming leather. My sub ran out a few week ago and I earned about 250k in a month by farming herbs and ores and flipping said materials on the AH. But it takes a lot of time and unless you can spend 70h+ pr. week farming said items I doubt you'd be able to get even close to the Brutusaur. Even more so if it's removed in the prepatch.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkteacup View Post
    Raking 5mil gold right now before SL hits may be kinda hard, depending on server and economy. I never liked playing AH, but there are ways to rawfarm gold which are fine for me. If you have a good geared character and a tailor, you can do Freehold shuffle for a decent amount of money. You can do the same in an easier way (but slightly less gold) with Skinning/LW and Atal Dazar.

It's boring as hell (depending on the player). But it nets nice gold, for easy tasks and the best part is there's ZERO competition, as you're running istances.

EDIT: for me it's enough since i only care about tokens to feed my sub without wasting too much time on it.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.