Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I feel like blizzard could have made corruption way better.

I think they probably could have killed much of the criticism corruption got with a few simple changes.

A) When you cleanse a corrupted item, it should give a resource that can then be used to apply a random corrupt to an item of your choice (each tier costing more of said resource.) This would have made getting bad corrupts feel "less bad" especially from the weekly chest.

B) Allow n'zoth to have a chance to drop an item that applies a random corruption to an item based on difficulty. So normal n'zoth has a chance to drop a t1 corrupt orb, heroic would be t2, and mythic would be t3.

I don't think this would completely fix the system, but it would have made it more enjoyable and it would have got far less backlash.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by asil; 2020-01-30 at 01:05 AM.

The definition of whats enjoyable is hugely subjective, so don't worry too much about it.
    Either way, tying major elements to the raid boss would not be met with satisfaction.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

I just want mother to clear a corrupted item in stages, from t3->t2->t1 and not cleanse it all off at once.
    Last edited by Lorianus; 2020-01-30 at 10:44 AM.

Or just have ALL items in Heroic and Mythic raids and +15 and higher keys always drop only corrupted gear. Sub 15 keys and Normal/LFR can still be the current chance to cut the incentive. Its better to have a TON of corrupted items than few due to the natural restriction of Corruption negative effects.

the first part yes, get and essence of corruption, that would have been nice when i had cleanse several pieces while I had lower tier cloak...
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    Or just have ALL items in Heroic and Mythic raids and +15 and higher keys always drop only corrupted gear. Sub 15 keys and Normal/LFR can still be the current chance to cut the incentive. Its better to have a TON of corrupted items than few due to the natural restriction of Corruption negative effects.
    The weekly chest from M+ drops guaranteed corrupted gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Addiena
    Whats the saying .. You have two brain cells and they are both fighting for third place !

All they needed to do is self-plagiarize by making it work like Kanai's Cube. The part of balancing the reward of corruption with the penalty of added mechanics is an excellent one. Unfortunately that positive thing is outweighed by the randomness of acquisition combined with the randomness of what item slot it appears on combined with poor balance between traits.

Further, some of the fixed corruptions are mediocre, whereas some are insane (guaranteed infinite stars on caster staff).

If the drops were frequent and repeatable and could be applied through something like Kanai's Cube from Diablo 3 people would be happy with it apart from the balance issues. If the balance issues were fixed and the RNG aspect eliminated or tampered down, people would be praising it.

Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    That would be terrible considering a 10-12 key is the range of heroic raiding gear wise.

But honestly what they should have done is listened to what they said about Legion Legendaries, that if they redid the legendaries they would have made them all more utility based so people wouldn't feel so screwed over by not getting a core legendary their class needed.

Yet here we are with infinite stars/echoing void/twilight devastation

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    That would be terrible considering a 10-12 key is the range of heroic raiding gear wise.

But honestly what they should have done is listened to what they said about Legion Legendaries, that if they redid the legendaries they would have made them all more utility based so people wouldn't feel so screwed over by not getting a core legendary their class needed.

Yet here we are with infinite stars/echoing void/twilight devastation
    Ugh, utility only legendaries would have been so boring and honestly ruined legendaries for me. I LOVED legion legendaries but god, people just want to ruin fun.

I love corruption too, it's fun.

Hopefully the legendaries in SL aren't utility only or I won't even bother, specially since you get to pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Ugh, utility only legendaries would have been so boring and honestly ruined legendaries for me. I LOVED legion legendaries but god, people just want to ruin fun.

I love corruption too, it's fun.

Hopefully the legendaries in SL aren't utility only or I won't even bother, specially since you get to pick.
    There isn't anything "fun" about seeing "Oh man look at all that damage I di- oh wait, 25% of it is a passive that I had no interaction with that just happened to proc on a piece of gear I got".

It's pretty crummy feeling, and it causes such an awkward swing on each pull when you have to factor RNG into whether or not you get lucky on Infinite star procs or not.

There isn't anything "fun" about seeing "Oh man look at all that damage I di- oh wait, 25% of it is a passive that I had no interaction with that just happened to proc on a piece of gear I got".

It's pretty crummy feeling, and it causes such an awkward swing on each pull when you have to factor RNG into whether or not you get lucky on Infinite star procs or not.
    Not fun to you then, but fun to me. And most "legiondaries" were a lot more than just passive things, the classes I played it changed the way the class played and that was extremely fun.

I LOVE super powerful items, things you probably won't replace for a long time.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I think every item in the Nya'lotha raid should have had corruption on it

Quote Originally Posted by Stickiler View Post
    The weekly chest from M+ drops guaranteed corrupted gear.
    It does not.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious Tea View Post
    It does not.
    It should according the post, but trinkets cannot corrupt so they're the exception.

Both of your proposed changes are fine, but they are also quite minor and I don't really see why they would be the deciding factor of whether corrupted items would be considered "fun" or not.

So, are you posting here between pulls with Limit or Method? Shouldn’t you be more focused on getting that 12/12 world first right now?

And for what it’s worth on this forum, I enjoy corruption as it exists. I’ve already had to make the hard decision to cut something down. Thankfully it was only a +6 haste buff.

Quote Originally Posted by Edlarel View Post
    So, are you posting here between pulls with Limit or Method? Shouldn’t you be more focused on getting that 12/12 world first right now?

And for what it’s worth on this forum, I enjoy corruption as it exists. I’ve already had to make the hard decision to cut something down. Thankfully it was only a +6 haste buff.
    Did you think that was a good retort or are you honestly trying to say the only people that matter are the extreme world first players?

Because I'm glad blizzard doesn't cater just to them.

Corruption to the degree of "it's the majority of my damage" is a mistake. And I'm sure blizzard will mention it at some point down the road that "in hindsight it was too much"

Did you think that was a good retort or are you honestly trying to say the only people that matter are the extreme world first players?

Because I'm glad blizzard doesn't cater just to them.

Corruption to the degree of "it's the majority of my damage" is a mistake. And I'm sure blizzard will mention it at some point down the road that "in hindsight it was too much"
    Except it's not. And as more casual players ourselves, it shouldn't matter that we don't have the best possible corruption affixes 2 weeks into the raid (3 into the patch). We'll get it eventually if we keep at it, and we have months of this expansion left before it doesn't matter anyway.

As for, "passive damage," so what? The monster's dead, and you pressed your buttons. Not every feature should change my rotation/options fully and completely. I seem to recall them doing that at one point (Legion?) and people going insane then too. It's only ever a matter of who they're going to piss off next. So few of us are just here to enjoy the roller coaster we're given, not waiting in line for 2 hours before wishing we went on another.

Quote Originally Posted by Edlarel View Post
    Except it's not. And as more casual players ourselves, it shouldn't matter that we don't have the best possible corruption affixes 2 weeks into the raid (3 into the patch). We'll get it eventually if we keep at it, and we have months of this expansion left before it doesn't matter anyway.

As for, "passive damage," so what? The monster's dead, and you pressed your buttons. Not every feature should change my rotation/options fully and completely. I seem to recall them doing that at one point (Legion?) and people going insane then too. It's only ever a matter of who they're going to piss off next. So few of us are just here to enjoy the roller coaster we're given, not waiting in line for 2 hours before wishing we went on another.
    You realize you don't have to be in a world first guild to not be consider casual, right?

Any guild who wants to push mythic in general is going to be looking for that edge at ANY point.
    And it's very possible to just keep drawing the short end of the stick.

Mind you, corruption was supposed to fix the issue of titanforging, instead it just added an even bigger swing

Quote Originally Posted by asil View Post
    I think they probably could have killed much of the criticism corruption got with a few simple changes.

A) When you cleanse a corrupted item, it should give a resource that can then be used to apply a random corrupt to an item of your choice (each tier costing more of said resource.) This would have made getting bad corrupts feel "less bad" especially from the weekly chest.

B) Allow n'zoth to have a chance to drop an item that applies a random corruption to an item based on difficulty. So normal n'zoth has a chance to drop a t1 corrupt orb, heroic would be t2, and mythic would be t3.

I don't think this would completely fix the system, but it would have made it more enjoyable and it would have got far less backlash.

Thoughts?
    The main issue with corruption is its randomness. Any type of upgrade system with more than one type of bonus will have some bonuses be weak and some bonuses be strong. But the randomness of it makes it so most of the time you get a bad combination. The only good combination is a strong piece of gear with a strong corruption effect. All other combinations are annoying. A random acquisition of gear with random bonus procs at random ranks makes it so it's much more likely that you get a bad combination. That's just how math works, it's inevitable. It's statistically designed to disappoint, no matter what the bonuses are. Blizzard is just too obsessed with random rewards.

Adding a crafting component isn't bad, but it adds a new issue. If cleansing an item gave you a random corruptor, then you would re-cleanse and re-corrupt dozens of times every single piece of gear until you get the perfect corruption effects. You can probably see why that would be annoying, since cleansing isn't free. Re-cleaning and re-corrupting indefinitely would essentially remove RNG with a lot of steps in between, so Blizzard would never pick that.

A corruptor item that drops randomly isn't too bad, since it has fewer direct side effects. The main issue there is that it adds another layer of RNG that makes the lucky more lucky and the unlucky more annoyed. Since most corruption effects are weak, that means annoyance will still happen more often, so most players will probably dislike it.
    Last edited by Khallid; 2020-02-01 at 10:36 PM.