Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jiih View Post
    imagine defending current essence system xd can only have an awful boring real life if you actually enjoy doing some time gated repetitive for 370 ilvl scaled content every day for a month.

not even classic rep farms are this bad because you can do them at your own pace and dont have to do daily garbage which is btw because of MAU same as why you get rewarded and daily quests in every braindead mobile game.

so i started with patch 8.3 again after years and now i have to wait 3resets for my conflict r3? wow such skills amazing
    Oh no 3 whole weeks! You poor thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tradu View Post
    Yeah, weird how people want to spend their play time on content they enjoy(raids, for example) instead of shit content they don't enjoy.
    Yeah, oh and its weird how people seem to think WoW is a fast food order that should be made to go exactly the way they want it to be.

And in case you missed it there's waaaaaaaaaaaay more people who aren't crying about essences for their alts, than people who are. But please, by all means continue explaining how awful and unreasonable spending a whole hour in Mechagon is to unlock essences, or a never-ending 15 minutes in a +4 anything to get Iris/anima etc.

The horror.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    Which is it? Make it account bound or speed it up? You can't argue both ways and flip flop based on responses.
    Hey now, moving the goalposts is a trademark of MMO-champion™ posters!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    The sad truth is Blizzard knows that 8.3 is the last patch they are putting out until Shadowlands and they see Essences as a way to get people to keep playing for longer so the sub drop off doesn't happen as fast. Blizzard doesn't care about good game mechanics or "fun". They care about numbers they can report to shareholders and money.

They might add account wide essences 3 - 5 months from now after enough people leave in hopes of bringing a few back at that point but I wouldn't hold your breath.
    Because you've got all that data showing you that people are leaving in droves because of this, right?

o wait
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2020-02-02 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    Why do these players without TIME have the desire to play 10 alts?
    This account wide shit needs to stop.
    It's a damn alt, it's not attaching 3 extra specs to your character.
    Because changing playstyle is fun?

Almost every PG is somehow a main for people who have not much time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think this would be fair. I have only 2 alts that get played regularly, and that's two times I don't want to unlock them all again.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

Quote Originally Posted by Krewshi View Post
    Because you need to spend more time playing your characters and grinding out their essences to know how to play that class better
    Grinding essences doesnt really improve character play. Why do so many people hate making things easier for alts. Alts SHOULD have it easier 100% as its an alt, you already did the trailblazing and clearing on your main with no shortcuts. Should be better the second time around.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Except they make tons of changes based on player feedback, but people conveniently ignore that when the change they want doesn't happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty much this.

- - - Updated - - -

Because it isn't difficult at all to get most rank 1 essences, that's why. I'm legit curious how some of you even functioned in vanilla/BC etc, back when literally EVERYTHING was done per character.
    Why do you care if it is easier for alts to get them. How does that hinder your gameplay in any fashion? Stop being stuckup for once in your life.

Except they make tons of changes based on player feedback, but people conveniently ignore that when the change they want doesn't happen.
    Right... player feedback uh huh sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampyrr View Post
    Grinding essences doesnt really improve character play. Why do so many people hate making things easier for alts. Alts SHOULD have it easier 100% as its an alt, you already did the trailblazing and clearing on your main with no shortcuts. Should be better the second time around.

- - - Updated - - -

Why do you care if it is easier for alts to get them. How does that hinder your gameplay in any fashion? Stop being stuckup for once in your life.
    Personal attacks, for those moments when you don't actually have a point to make.

And alts already have it easier. Ever heard of heirlooms? BOA catch-up gear/mechanics like increased AK? The ability to use all of your mounts, pets, BOA rep tokens, BOA resource caches, etc?

I get it though, none of that stuff exists because the game doesn't cater to this specific thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AlmightyGerkin View Post
    Right... player feedback uh huh sure.
    Practically every patch has had changes directly influenced by player feedback. For example: essences. They were a response to player feedback that the necklace was a piss-poor, passive replacement for Artifacts, which had interesting effects and active abilities. But hey, don't pull your head out of the sand on my account.

Too bad we can't bottle hyperbole and sell it, this place would never run out.
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2020-02-02 at 06:03 PM.

Personal attacks, for those moments when you don't actually have a point to make.

And alts already have it easier. Ever heard of heirlooms? BOA catch-up gear/mechanics like increased AK? The ability to use all of your mounts, pets, BOA rep tokens, BOA resource caches, etc?

I get it though, none of that stuff exists because the game doesn't cater to this specific thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Practically every patch has had changes directly influenced by player feedback. For example: essences. They were a response to player feedback that the necklace was a piss-poor, passive replacement for Artifacts, which had interesting effects and active abilities. But hey, don't pull your head out of the sand on my account.

Tis only the elitists who wanna die on the hill of if I had to struggle everyone has to keep struggling forever. There is 0 downside to helping alts have easier essences. Being alt unfriendly is a severe detriment to longevity of the game. It is casual unfriendly and those practices decrease player numbers. But if you wanna die on that hill so be it.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty much this.

- - - Updated - - -

Because it isn't difficult at all to get most rank 1 essences, that's why. I'm legit curious how some of you even functioned in vanilla/BC etc, back when literally EVERYTHING was done per character.
    Well for one in Vanilla I still lived at home and had only a part time job wayyyy more free time vs now I have 2 jobs and live on my own so wayyyy less free time. Also there was a point in Vanilla and BC where you could be done. There was substantially less stuff to do and you could be maxed or at least maxed for the time being leaving a lot of time for alts. Your power came from gear which came from doing end game content so when saved on your main you were done until next reset. So it would actually be EASIER for alts then.

The only Essences that shouldn't be Account Wide are rank 4.

Oh no 3 whole weeks! You poor thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, oh and its weird how people seem to think WoW is a fast food order that should be made to go exactly the way they want it to be.

And in case you missed it there's waaaaaaaaaaaay more people who aren't crying about essences for their alts, than people who are. But please, by all means continue explaining how awful and unreasonable spending a whole hour in Mechagon is to unlock essences, or a never-ending 15 minutes in a +4 anything to get Iris/anima etc.

The horror.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey now, moving the goalposts is a trademark of MMO-champion™ posters!

- - - Updated - - -

Because you've got all that data showing you that people are leaving in droves because of this, right?

o wait

yes 3 whole weeks my bis essence is gated behind a weekly pvp chest.

no chance to influence it. care to explain how this is good design?

He justified it perfectly well. I have 11 alts at level 120, and they all have an annoying "You have an empty essence slot!" alert.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure whatever makes you feel happy.

If someone made a thread back in vanilla-Wrath that once you got full tier from a set all your alts should get the set, or even the 2pc bonus, automatically I can only imagine they'd be laughed out of the forums and told to stop asking for handouts. I wonder what's changed.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    3 hours is a big chuck of time? This is one of the most entitled things that has ever been said on this website.

It negatively affects everyone because this is an item used for power. It is exactly the same as if your main character was allowed to copy their own gear and pass it down to Alts. And when I say copy, I mean that weapon restrictions and armour restrictions don't apply here. Hunter pants copies to pants for every class. A bow copies to a weapon or two for every class.

If it isn't as obvious to some people as it is for people who actually use their brain then there is also the argument of don't be fucking lazy. You don't deserve it

- - - Updated - - -

He justifies it poorly. Showing a screenshot with an explanation on how he didn't do any work at all to get any esscences is not justifying it well. The same failed argument told in a different way is not justifying it well.
    I don't know why you're being so aggressive about this it's not that big of a deal. It wouldn't hurt anyone's ego to just make rank 1's account wide as the rank 2's and 3's are where real effort is needed. You need to relax and stop being so angry
    The proper waifu is a wholesome supplement for one's intrinsic need for belonging and purpose.

I have 22 120s, ranging from 425 ilevel to 457, 13 of which have their Wrathion cloak
    You did the boring all questline 13 fucking times LUL, even with the skips it goes on way too long, too fucking boring.

watch my paint dry for me will ya, don't get too excited though i know you find anything fun.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Do a +4 then a +7 for rank 2 iris, do the quests you will unlock very quickly to get rank 3 flame, use breath of the dying. Congrats, in less than a day you have some of the best essences a casual player should ever need
    Sadly you need a guild or 4 friends to do +7 you ain't getting in a group without ilvl 455 because there's tons of 455's in queue and your alt with ilvl 445 stands no chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Reman View Post
    Here is what happens with a 120 boost char just doing the questlines and some WQs:

This is just silly, unlocking rank 1 essences for all alts will open for more character progression instead of regression.

A simple change with no downsides that will open up the progression for all our characters and make the game much more enjoyable.

What are your thoughts on this?
    8.3 doesn't have enough content in it to drag the addicted playerbase out over 10 months.

The earliest you might see changes to Essences is in 6 months of the patch being out. Possibly a 8.3.2 patch as .3.5 has been cancelled.

I assumed we would get a vendor for Corrupted Mementos in 8.3.5 but that patch has been canned. Same as Legendaries on a vendor in 7.3.5.

They only ever fix their insanely stupid MUA grinds in the last patch of the expansion, when it's already over.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    You did the boring all questline 13 fucking times LUL, even with the skips it goes on way too long, too fucking boring.

watch my paint dry for me will ya, don't get too excited though i know you find anything fun.
    Eh, it's not so bad if you do it once per day. Think I'm up to 7 and that was after the first week. Taking a break now on some of the other alts I don't touch as much, but you can get a toon done in about a hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    Sadly you need a guild or 4 friends to do +7 you ain't getting in a group without ilvl 455 because there's tons of 455's in queue and your alt with ilvl 445 stands no chance.
    What class? I've been accepted at 440-443 alt in a few +7's before so it's doable. Might depend on the week's affixes some too.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wanted to play my Hunter, but hes 120 with HoA level 10. I leveled him and stopped before Nazjatar came out, so he doesnt even HAVE essences. So now to play him i'd need to go do all that old Nazjatar content and then do the new 8.3 stuff. And then i only end up with 2-3 essences. No thanks.

I have 17 120s that i won't touch except to kill world bosses for mounts.

Given that the ranks do not increase in power linearly, I'm of the opinion to just make them account wide or at least severely reduce the challenge it getting them on alts. It can take weeks to unlock some Rank 3 essences and it's a huge bottleneck in rerolling or having alts.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Allinna View Post
    I wanted to play my Hunter, but hes 120 with HoA level 10. I leveled him and stopped before Nazjatar came out, so he doesnt even HAVE essences. So now to play him i'd need to go do all that old Nazjatar content and then do the new 8.3 stuff. And then i only end up with 2-3 essences. No thanks.
    So you are saying you can't spend a couple hours to bring your toon up to speed?
    • It takes about ~30 or so minutes to do opening Nazjatar and get your HoA up to Level 50.
    • A hour to do the cloak questline

That's ~1.5 hrs to hit Neck 50 and have 2 essences (which you can't use until 55). Go to Blood Mallet/Hero Damage/Icy Veins/etc and find out your top 4 essences you want, go grind them out and by then you'll be neck 75.

All of that you can do within ~3 hrs and have at least Rank 1 or 2 on most (which is good enough for vast majority of the stuff you'll do on an alt unless you plan on high end raiding / high end M+ on every alt).

So yeah, you are basically saying you can't spend a little bit of time getting your toon prepared. Yup, must be real hard to play an alt.

Rank 1 isn't enough because the problem with essences isn't just the grind. What's unique about essences is that it often involves grinds completely unrelated to what you want to do (multiple rep grinds, bgs, arena, assaults). With gear, you have alternatives. You can pick the activity you want and do good there, and you'll get it (fastest through mythic raiding but takes the most organisation and dedication, slower through m+, arena and visions but takes less people).

With essences there are no alternative, only one activity gives a certain essence. So if you didn't luck out to have your best essence be from raiding (which almost no one did), as a raider you're guranteed to be forced to do some boring ass grind for it. Same goes for a m+ fan, arenaer, or even one who likes all of those. There will still be some bis essence with a retarded grind you hate.

Account bound essences will make it more tolerable on alt, but its still a shitty aquisition system that forces players into bad activities rather than encouraging them to play what's fun for them. A much better system would have been like 7.3 legiondaries, with any activity (raiding, pvp, m+, visions, wq) giving you some measure of currency, which you could use on the essence you like. Tadaa, no soul rending grinds.