1. #1

    Why are totems so useless?

    Elemental is actually fun....until you play against someone who knows how to play because then you are screwed. Totems have 5 hp which ofc means that they get one shotted by anything. There used to be a glyph which always let you put down 4 totems so that the enemy would not know which one was the real one, but now its just one totem. Any smart player will instantly right click that totem and destroy it in one gcd which makes it 100% useless. Have I missed something or are totems actually this useless? Bring back the glyph or give totems 15% of the players hp or something so it at least will stay alive for 2-3 seconds.

  2. #2
    Which do you prefer, spammable totems that get one shot, or totems that take 3 hits to destroy but have a short CD?

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Which do you prefer, spammable totems that get one shot, or totems that take 3 hits to destroy but have a short CD?
    Counter strike totem, grounding totem, Capacitor Totem, Tremor Totem.... How do you spam these? Spam means that something has no cd or a very short one (like 5 seconds or less). I cant really see any of the good pvp totems being "spamable", especially since most fights (not arena) last for less than 30 seconds meaning that you will only get to use it once anyway.

    *Edit* Definition of "fight"=When someone is actively attacking you.
    Last edited by daxia3; 2020-02-02 at 06:20 AM.

  4. #4
    I miss the totem system of Call of Elements. I felt a lot more useful and totems were not a problem.

  5. #5
    Probably because totems would be hilariously overpowered if they took multiple hits to kill.

    Grounding Totem was designed to absorb one spell, whether that's a CC like Polymorph or a big hit like Chaos Bolt, it isn't supposed to be an auto win against other casters.
    .
    Tremor Totem is supposed to be dropped before a fear hits, if it wasn't easily killable it would make Shamans and their party immune to fears for multiple seconds, and it's already really strong even though it has counterplay.

    Counterstrike Totem is supposed to punish people who tunnel vision, it isn't supposed to be something you drop and your opponents are forced to spend a large amount of time killing it, it isn't a taunt totem.

    And Cap Totem is already better than it was because it used to take a lot longer to proc the stun, now it's relatively fast. If it took multiple hits to kill then it would basically be a guaranteed stun or it would force the opponent to run away, which really isn't the point.

    Totems are in a fine place right now, they have counter play but they're all still super useful (well Counterstrike is only good against trash cans, but that will always be the case) and I really don't see the need for any of them to change.

  6. #6
    Because you're supposed to reroll to a mage, blizzard has been telling you for 3 expansions now but you're not getting the message.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by daxia3 View Post
    Elemental is actually fun....until you play against someone who knows how to play because then you are screwed. Totems have 5 hp which ofc means that they get one shotted by anything. There used to be a glyph which always let you put down 4 totems so that the enemy would not know which one was the real one, but now its just one totem. Any smart player will instantly right click that totem and destroy it in one gcd which makes it 100% useless. Have I missed something or are totems actually this useless? Bring back the glyph or give totems 15% of the players hp or something so it at least will stay alive for 2-3 seconds.
    because blizzard doesn't have a clue as to what they are doing, would be so simple to give totems a flat out 50k health bar so they can't be tab macro killed

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by daxia3 View Post
    Elemental is actually fun....until you play against someone who knows how to play because then you are screwed. Totems have 5 hp which ofc means that they get one shotted by anything. There used to be a glyph which always let you put down 4 totems so that the enemy would not know which one was the real one, but now its just one totem. Any smart player will instantly right click that totem and destroy it in one gcd which makes it 100% useless. Have I missed something or are totems actually this useless? Bring back the glyph or give totems 15% of the players hp or something so it at least will stay alive for 2-3 seconds.
    Having our buffs no longer tied to totems was something the Shaman community had wanted for a long long time, and instead have more powerful short term buffs and effects tied to them instead. You really don't want to go back to a time where the thigns that made you equal to another class were either easily destroyed or you got kited away from.
    RETH

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by deathshere View Post
    because blizzard doesn't have a clue as to what they are doing, would be so simple to give totems a flat out 50k health bar so they can't be tab macro killed
    The poster two posts above you have explained why your "fix" wouldn't fix anything and would just swing the pendulum all the way to the other side instead of setting it down in the middle.
    I did a Necromancer thing. Check it out! All feedback welcome!
    Update 08/17: I changed how the Bone spec's golem mechanic works, as well as some other minor changes.
    I also did a Bard thing! Questions, comments and ideas, all welcome!
    Update 09/02: Apparently the mods decided to merge my class concept thread with an existing one.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •