Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    If you're building god-like, don't even mention AMD.
    VOTING IS MOB RULE AND MOB RULE IS MEDIA RULE AND
    MEDIA RULE IS CORPORATE RULE

10+ Year Old Account
    Never, ever buy top PC hardware anymore. Mid range is plenty, even my Nvidia 970 still runs everyting fine. i Would go with Predator monitor tho, that is unlikely to be replaced for a long time.
    i7 4770k 4.6GHZ................................................ ¨ ø„¸¸„¨ ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
    OCZ Arc 100 x2 (240g) RAID 0.........................°º¤ø„¸? Druid ,„ø¤º°¨
    Kingston HyperX 8 gig 2400.......................... ¸„ø¤º°¨ For Life! 0¤ø„¸
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 OC.......................... ¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸ ¨°º¤ø

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    To be honest and speaking from experience of helping others who did similar tactics. You are better off taking the money you would spend on each part over time and save it. So say if you buy a GPU for $500 now instead of buying that GPU put the $500 away. The reason is due to a lot can change over the next 2 years. When the time comes and you are ready to order that final part you could get all the parts you wanted at half the price or parts that are better for the same price you would pay now.
    Thanks mate, and yeah that is what I've decided to do now, it's gona be hard. But I'll do it for my lad.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shifthappens View Post
    Never, ever buy top PC hardware anymore. Mid range is plenty, even my Nvidia 970 still runs everyting fine. i Would go with Predator monitor tho, that is unlikely to be replaced for a long time.
    Yeah you can pick up some good cards for fair prices, for me personally graphics are not that important to me, but I do always want to have good frame rates. I grew up in the 90's so I like a lot of pixel and sprite art styles.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Greendog Looks to me like you've got two problems here. One is the computer problem, but the other is the savings problem. I suggest you talk to someone who can help you with financial planning. I can't even begin to guess what your options are since you're apparently not in the US, but I suggest looking into short term investments for this project and longer term for the expenses that are still coming up like graduation.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmouse View Post
    @Greendog Looks to me like you've got two problems here. One is the computer problem, but the other is the savings problem. I suggest you talk to someone who can help you with financial planning. I can't even begin to guess what your options are since you're apparently not in the US, but I suggest looking into short term investments for this project and longer term for the expenses that are still coming up like graduation.
    Well originally this is why i decided to buy it piece by piece. It's much easier for me to save a few hundred quid, even though in the end I'm spending more. The plus side to this is that my son can see what hes getting bit by bit and once all the tech is bought we can build it. Another option would be to get the case first. Then a few weeks or a month later get the motherboard and fit it, adding the pieces as I get them each month.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greendog View Post
    Well originally this is why i decided to buy it piece by piece. It's much easier for me to save a few hundred quid, even though in the end I'm spending more. The plus side to this is that my son can see what hes getting bit by bit and once all the tech is bought we can build it. Another option would be to get the case first. Then a few weeks or a month later get the motherboard and fit it, adding the pieces as I get them each month.
    Do you remember being 16 (or actually a couple of years short of 16)? I don't think that will go as well as you hope. "This will be really cool in a couple of years" assumes a level of patience that he probably doesn't have.

Seriously, you're at the point in life where it gets expensive. I don't want to derail a computer thread, so I'm going to post in another forum and ping you.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

"Why spend $1,000 on a good PC when I can instead spend $3,000 on mostly outdated parts bought over time?" --this OP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hi everyone, it's been many many years since i posted here at MMO Champion so first off I would like to wish you all well and hope life is treating you good.

Years back i built an average PC for myself and came here for some advice on what to buy and compatibility on the items. This time i am building one for my sons 16th which lands November 2021. I will buy the parts over the next 2 years so I want to build him a monster. I told him I would build him a nice one if he tries his best for his end of school exams. I made it clear I don't need straight A's I just need to see that he took his education seriously and did his best.

So below is a list of parts needed to build the rig and if you see any issues or things you could do to improve it it would be great if you could point it out to me. I'll start with the case.

Tower case: Corsair Crystal Series 680x RGB
    Motherboard: MSI Meg Z390 Godlike
    Keyboard: Corsair K70 Platinum RGB
    Mouse: QPad 8k Laser Pro Gaming Mouse
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNova G3 (850w)
    Graphics Card: GeForce RTX 2080ti (What is the AMD equivalent?)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury (8GB x4)
    O/S Storage: Samsung 840 EVO (128GB)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO (2TB)
    Processor: I'd like help with this one, certainly an i9 but what would be the AMD equivalent? And also is AMD better for this part?
    Monitor: Curved Predator monitor (Need advice here for the monitor)

What do you think of the build? I know a little bit about computers but nowhere near what I would like to know. Thankyou in advance if you took time out of your day to reply to the post and help me build a great PC for my son. I am so looking forward to the look on his face when I build him this.
    Don't start buying now. At all. Not only are we looking at a new CPU generation coming in the next 6 months, we're probably going to see another one before November 2021.
    Oh, and another GPU generation is very likely too.

In addition to that:
    The 840 is old as fuck, and has been replaced by the 860 or 970 depending on what you want. There are also just as good and cheaper products out there if you don't need the warranty that Samsung offers
    32gb of RAM might sound good, but it's pointless for gaming. If your son doesn't do animation or similar there's no point in getting 32 over 16gb
    Your case is mediocre, get a Lian Li PC O11 Dynamic instead, it's just better.
    Your mouse is.. Eh. The sensor is acceptable but nothing fantastic, get something with a 3366 sensor instead if you want truly "godlike"
    PSU is prone to failure, get something Seasonic made instead.

You say you need help with the monitor? Well what does he need the monitor for? Pure gaming? Colour accuracy? Does it need to be curved? 16:9 or 21:9?

TLDR: Don't start buying now, put the money into another bank account and then find out how much money you have when the time comes
    Quote Originally Posted by Axxil View Post
    If you're building god-like, don't even mention AMD.
    AMD's CPUs are currently the best on the market. Intel is horribly outclassed in everything but super niche situations.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe ask him if he wants it bit-by-bit or all at once. He'll want it all at once. Because until you have all/most of the parts, it's just a very expensive paper weight, where you can't even check if the components are DOA, and depending on how long you take between parts acquisitions, they might run out of warranty and be completely out of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    AMD's CPUs are currently the best on the market. Intel is horribly outclassed in everything but super niche situations.
    Not even close. The only thing AMD wins out on is price.
    VOTING IS MOB RULE AND MOB RULE IS MEDIA RULE AND
    MEDIA RULE IS CORPORATE RULE

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Axxil View Post
    Not even close. The only thing AMD wins out on is price.
    And performance.

The "only win out on price" is old. 3000 series has them winning in some/most games, and even before that they had good enough performance that it didn't matter for the most part.

Would you mind posting some of the equivalents if you have the time? If I can get similar performance for cheaper on any of the parts I will of course do that, that's really the reason for me posting here so I can get some advice from a wide range of people. I think I could certainly downgrade the graphics card to something like a 1080. The 2080ti does cost a lot. The items that defo aren't changing are the case, mouse and probably keyboard. I have a qpad mouse myself and I gotta say its hands down the most comfy mouse I've ever used.
    Others already answered, what you want to do is not ideal, unless your requirements are low, for someone that wants a strong rig, it simply doesnt work like that.

Save your money, when its collected, post again.

Rumors of next generation things are already out, which means averagely 6 months to 9 months before big hop to performance, which makes any sort of "slow buying" a terrible idea.

Most godlike gaming pc I have ever seen is the MacPro.
    AMD Build: | CPU: FX-9590 OEM 8-Core(4.7 GHz) Black Edition | GPU: STRIX R9 380 2GB(x1) | Ram: 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Main: Samsung 850 500GB | BU: WDC Caviar Blue 2TB(x2) | Power: Corsair CX500 | Mobo: Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 [Old faithful!]

Now my living room center piece and open case HTPC.

10+ Year Old Account
    I get that it's easier to save money for one part at a time but when it comes to computers it's just a terrible idea. Anything you buy now will be mediocre or outdated 2 years from now. Put the money into some kind of savings instead, 2 years from now you could spend 2k and get a better computer than you could get by spending 3k now (or 3k over 2 years).

Thankyou for the info on the CPU's.