Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Post Hypothetical Expansion where each zone represented a Dragon Aspect

How would you feel if this happened? We could have five different zones, each with its own color palettes, building styles, dragons and fantastical creatures. Maybe something like this:

• Bronze Dragonflight: Time-broken sand dunes with crumbling caves and egyptian-esque dragon constructs

• Ruby Dragonflight: Spewing volcanoes contrasted with crystallized ruby dwellings and light rouge rain

• Emerald Dragonflight: Forest creatures rummaging through spirit-infused mountains, with varying altitudes, the upper regions consisting of dark, moon-lit balconies, the middle of tightly built houses and miniature bridges intersected by waterfalls (something akin to the recent Student Art Contest)

• Azure Dragonflight: Odd-formed mountains with bright blue palettes made of snow-like dragon essence, cave indentures, etc.

• Black Dragonflight: An endless abyss of darkness and doom, at its core the presence of void and nothingness (could be more creative I know)

• Fairy Tail: A city riddling with the presence of each zones inhabitants, and an unknown force propelling the power of each aspect into this magical city.

Outside of the zones, I'm sure a lot could be done such as adding aspect-infused class abilities, introducing a mail-wearing dragonsworn class and maybe building hype for non-timegated flying.

What do you guys think? Would you like to spend an expansion exploring these kinds of zones, or the Dragon Isles in general? Would love to hear your opinions...
    Last edited by rylaidarksorrow; 2020-02-05 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rylaidarksorrow View Post
    Maybe something like this:
    While your ideas would fit a theme of dragons, it doesn't really fit the one we have in WoW. Take a look at Dragonblight and the shrines there. The volcanic activity you describe for the Ruby, is what the Black has. Azure is far more arcane themed, not frost.

That said, I would not at all mind a dragon focused expansion. If the aspects are going to be important again, we need it. And the Sylverian Dreamer is there for a reason.

Yeah I get your point. they could play it the other-way around. Besides, Blizzard is quite infamous for twisting previous work to fit their current vision. Both ways, I think they could make it work. For Azure, I was actually going for exactly that, instead of mountains made of snow, it is made of arcane magic, kind of like the arcanite crystals found in the Nexus or crystalsong.

Won't lie, that would be insanely boring. The dragons in WoW aren't the most imaginative ones, nor that interesting.

The zones would be mostly unique and basically design themselves. Red and Green might be a tad similar as both should be forests with swapped colours but feel could be different. Not like other expansion packs haven't had shated biomes between zones. Also you can throw in a titan zone or city. Lorewise its fairly simple between the twilight dragons return, purified black dragons and the as yet unseen creation of the infinite Dragonflight there enough storylines to utilize.

My issue with these genre of fan expasion is patch content and dragon fatigue. Once you've decided on the Dragon theme what do you throw in afterwards or for variation.

Also Horde storyline there's probably a nice Dragonmaw redemption Arc in there somewhere
    Last edited by Newname1234567890; 2020-02-05 at 01:14 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    i for one, have wanting a dragon expansion for a long time.

i agree with 5 starting zones each being from one dragonflight, the "continent" would be the flying Dragon isles, thats why we didn't found it, each zone will be a nice island, b ut the black dragonflight will be normal, not void corrupted anymore, i think that is already done.

The main enemy of this Expansion would be Cromatus, the five-head chromatic dragon and the return of the chromatic dragonflight, both more powerful than ever.

We will have to get help from the 5 fragonflights and maybe more, this could include a "redemption" or "anti-hero" route with the twilight dragonflight.

We could have some more island in the future patchs, like Storm and protodrakes islands, maybe some elemental drakes return, we didn't saw any water and fire yet, could be a cool way to explore that.

We could have some minor faction conflicts on those minor patches, in the protodrakes islands by example, both factions wanting the dragons and the magic resources in the islands, leaded by the Dragonmaw orc clan, and the wildhammer dwarves, or something else.

Non-winged dragons as side enemies because why not, corrupted by some kind of old spell.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WonderZebra View Post

My issue with these genre of fan expasion is patch content and dragon fatigue. Once you've decided on the Dragon theme what do you throw in afterwards or for variation.
    there is no such thing of dragon fatigue, they just have to do right.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    i for one, have wanting a dragon expansion for a long time.

i agree with 5 starting zones each being from one dragonflight, the "continent" would be the flying Dragon isles, thats why we didn't found it, each zone will be a nice island, b ut the black dragonflight will be normal, not void corrupted anymore, i think that is already done.

The main enemy of this Expansion would be Cromatus, the five-head chromatic dragon and the return of the chromatic dragonflight, both more powerful than ever.

We will have to get help from the 5 fragonflights and maybe more, this could include a "redemption" or "anti-hero" route with the twilight dragonflight.

We could have some more island in the future patchs, like Storm and protodrakes islands, maybe some elemental drakes return, we didn't saw any water and fire yet, could be a cool way to explore that.

We could have some minor faction conflicts on those minor patches, in the protodrakes islands by example, both factions wanting the dragons and the magic resources in the islands, leaded by the Dragonmaw orc clan, and the wildhammer dwarves, or something else.

Non-winged dragons as side enemies because why not, corrupted by some kind of old spell.

- - - Updated - - -

there is no such thing of dragon fatigue, they just have to do right.
    Well im not saying Dragon Fatigue is a thing now. But an entire expasion of just the dragons might being it on

I find the dragons to be rather boring so I wouldn't like a whole expansion focused on them. They're fine in small doses, but a whole expansion is a no from me.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderZebra View Post
    Well im not saying Dragon Fatigue is a thing now. But an entire expasion of just the dragons might being it on
    Coming from a Horde vs Alliance shitty "War" expansion, i'd welcome some Dragon Fatigue.....
    From Beta: "WoW is now a turn-based game, GG"

Quote Originally Posted by khabal View Post
    Coming from a Horde vs Alliance shitty "War" expansion, i'd welcome some Dragon Fatigue.....
    Cool. Not disagreeing.

wasnt cata the "dragon expansion"?
    my memory might not be the best, but at least the finale was super dragon themed, including a cinematic were the dragon aspects lost most of their power.

aside from that, i cant remember a single expansion where there wasnt at least a bit of dragon themes going on. the dragonflights are so integral to wow, that at least one dragonflight is intertwined with the story in a major way.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Indeed. I could see this as an x.2 patch...or if thy need something to cover 9-12 months before an x-pac as the big final x.3 patch.
    I'd hope they do a Yogg-saron or thunder king side story with a raid. Would diversify the patch content

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lagiacrux View Post
    wasnt cata the "dragon expansion"?
    my memory might not be the best, but at least the finale was super dragon themed, including a cinematic were the dragon aspects lost most of their power.

aside from that, i cant remember a single expansion where there wasnt at least a bit of dragon themes going on. the dragonflights are so integral to wow, that at least one dragonflight is intertwined with the story in a major way.
    Cataclysm was the most involved with dragons but it wasn't anything on level with WOTLK with the scourge or Legion with demons.

There's definitely room for a dragon expansion

Fair enough...people hate BfA and I guess it has reached new levels. But people here viciously hated Pandaria, Draenor, Broken Isles as well. Legion and MoP at least now get more love in hindsight.
    Draenor was unfinished, but it had the potential to be a good expansion, i think the story background was there, they just gave up on it maybe too soon.
    Broken Isles, while it had issues, like the stupid time-gating, had some great things (Mage Tower was great, overall look of the zone was good imo, story made sense, raid was strong.)
    Pandaria i can't comment as I didn't play, but i think it's overall considered a strong expansion, classes were in a good state, the world was awesome, raids were strong, not sure on other things.

After the Cata fiasco, on how the Aspects surrendered their powers, it would be good to see them play a part. According to the lore, they were tasked by the titans to be the protectors of Azeroth wasn't it? Shit went downhill with Deathwing but their original purpose is still needed. It would tie in with the story set by end of Legion (big ass sword) and even BFA to a certain extent.

Going OT here: Guess everyone has their definition what counts a "time gating" and some accept one way more than another. But what exactly do you mean for that with Legion?
    In the particular case i was talking about, the legionfall campaign was time-gated. You could only progress so much every week. For me, that is not great game design. Compare it with the suramar campaign (not a perfect example, but bear with me), you could do the first part of it STRAIGHT AWAY until the reputation wall (which in itself is also a time-gate, i know).

There's many other types of time-gating, all of which can be argued for or against (powerful char increases behind exalted rep only for example, for me drive me mad).

Fair point. Personally I was ok with both the Suramar and BfA gating of the campaign because I could relax a bit. Being the compulsive type, I would just have done it all in one go otherwise...this way I actually occasionally skipped a week (which is also why I am ok with the weekly cap on the cloak atm)
    Yes, but consider this: ALTS. I'd like the possibly of just hammering the story on 1 char from start to finish if I wanted to, or pace myself. So i could bum rush it on my main, but then on the alts casually do it as time goes on (assuming there's a point of doing it ofc).

The way it is currently with the timegating is: you have to do a bit on EVERY char, and the light at the end of the tunnel isn't really known.

With the cape stuff, i'm actually okay with the weekly cap on rank, i wish you could do the visions as much as you want (like m+ for example). Its content that i am REALLY enjoying, but the fact that you're limited to 3-5 runs per week makes it hard to try different tactics and mess around in there. (I know there's balancing issues around corrupted mementos but i'm sure it could be worked around).

On a really OT: I think it's about time Blizzard understands that people like to play alts.

I would prefer the whole floating continent, Dragon Isles concept. Rather than having the existing dragon flights the zones who focus on ancient lost flights

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Throwme View Post
    While your ideas would fit a theme of dragons, it doesn't really fit the one we have in WoW. Take a look at Dragonblight and the shrines there. The volcanic activity you describe for the Ruby, is what the Black has. Azure is far more arcane themed, not frost.

That said, I would not at all mind a dragon focused expansion. If the aspects are going to be important again, we need it. And the Sylverian Dreamer is there for a reason.
    This realy, people who played during cataclysm have a sour taste on the dragonflights.. they are very uncool atm and would need some cool things to make it interrsting.

I cant think of anything interesting besides what was mentioned in an other thread.. that spoke about 3 or 4 differnt islands aka pokemon movie 2 where zapdos, moltress all had their own island.

The problem is.. what will they do there? They dont even hang out there in wow.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Throwme View Post
    And the Sylverian Dreamer is there for a reason.
    Seems something we would find in Ardenweald
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Fair enough...people hate BfA and I guess it has reached new levels. But people here viciously hated Pandaria, Draenor, Broken Isles as well. Legion and MoP at least now get more love in hindsight.
    people hated every expansion, and ironicaly, a lot of the hated changes are things people wanted before
    i think one of the SW:TOR developers once said that if you give gamers a hat that can fulfill all their wishes they would still complain about the color of the hat

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    i think one of the SW:TOR developers once said that if you give gamers a hat that can fulfill all their wishes they would still complain about the color of the hat
    Proof that most gamers don't think..... (not saying you), just wish for a different hat color