Page 1 of 28
... LastLast

Could something be done to make people tank?

The only time I've played tank, it was when the DK blood a lot of damage from revenge, it was a lot of fun, until he was nerfed and I stopped playing it.
    There is a big problem here, and there are very few tanks, because they are very boring and slow killing ... is there any solution? I have a solution, eliminate the tank role. Maybe they should invent a new role, maybe support or dps / tank ..or protector, something but that does not imply that you do less damage than a dps ... is that, what more hays are dps, precisely because they are fun.Every time there are fewer tanks, because they are increasingly boring.

If a tank did the same damage as a dps, there would be no reason to play dps.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Let's talk about this issue when there is actually a lack of dps, so NEVER. Also it would be quite easy to make it so that you only do this damage when you are active tanking.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    People played plenty DPS in MoP.

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    That's a joke, right?

I do play tank classes, but I don't tank. But that has nothing to do with tanking itself or dps or something else related to the class. I don't tank because of people. When people even in low level instances don't have the time to let a learning tank learn, it's no fun. If I get the feeling within the first minute in the instance that the people I was thrown together with are impatient and really interested in playing as a team, I don't feel appreciated. I don't want to be praised, but I would like not to haste through and get blamed if the overzealous ranged dps pulled half the instance

Would say not much can be done becouse biggest problem is the community and how they act at lower levels, i fully understand why alot start out and try tank and then give up and switch,

Scream on them to go faster and pulls stuff becouse the tank isnt fast enough, seen to many trying to vote kick tanks for not moving fast enough.

There's plenty of reasons for a player to tank. Final Fantasy figured it out, I'm sure WoW can-... Nevermind.

For me - fix my disability, then I could tank and I could heal

But until then - ranged dps only.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by apustus View Post
    People played plenty DPS in MoP.
    Sure, but you couldn't have tanks in the raid not tanking that doing that DPS. You needed to actually tank to get vengeance to do it so tanks couldn't replace DPS in MoP because there is only so many people that can tank on any given fight.

But tanks currently destroy dps currently in AoE if they have Twilight Devastation lmao, so tanks should be getting in while the getting is good before the nerf comes in. People complaining about echoing void have no idea and haven't witnessed t3 TD in AoE situations on a tank.

The lack of tanks has nothing to do with how interesting it is, it's because so many people are goddamn awful and blame them for everything. Even doing a flawless job, just knowing you're one mispressed button away from having shit flung at you is enough to suck all the enjoyment out of it for a lot of people.

For every tank main you see, there are probably a dozen would-be tank mains who gave up and switched to DPS, and at least a dozen more who group exclusively with friends (ie, you'll never encounter them where it matters) specifically for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Naramag View Post
    I don't want to be praised, but I would like not to haste through and get blamed if the overzealous ranged dps pulled half the instance
    Just let him die then, kite what you have away from it etc, did that plenty of times since i started tanking in BC. Either they learn or they die, mostly they learn. Hell i would wipe the whole Group for shit like that, because chances are pretty high that you would die anyway esp in M+ if something like that happens.

Btt: Make every Tank viable and fun to Play would be a good start. Tanking got so stale since WoD for me for example that i rarely Tank anymore because they all Play so freaking boring. Another problem is the "rush rush rush" mentality and "no errors allowed" ,esp since Legion and the introduction of M+, of most groups in my Opinion.

I like tanking, but I don't do it very much. I don't know the optimal tanking routes in most BfA dungeons. Tanking is stressfull, being blamed for people dying when they are in a hyper gogogo mode, keep pulling extra and then die to AoE or something isn't fun, so I'd rather just not do it. As a tank you need to know all the tactics as you tend to be the defacto leader of any group you're in, you're the one expected to deal with all mechanics. That's fine sometimes, I like dealing with mechanics, but still.

I enjoy tanking ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I don't think there is anything wrong with tanking it's the other players that create the issues. Don't pull extra mobs for me, don't knock a pack of mobs away from me, do average damage and healing.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Quote Originally Posted by Seuchentiffy View Post
    Another problem is the "rush rush rush" mentality and "no errors allowed" ,esp since Legion and the introduction of M+, of most groups in my Opinion.
    100% this. The GOGOGO mentality doesn't allow for error or caution, not to mention that you must know every shortcut and mob skip in every dungeon beforehand. The difficulty and stress just isn't worth it unless you're with a full group of friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Would say not much can be done becouse biggest problem is the community and how they act at lower levels, i fully understand why alot start out and try tank and then give up and switch,

Scream on them to go faster and pulls stuff becouse the tank isnt fast enough, seen to many trying to vote kick tanks for not moving fast enough.
    Pretty much this.

Tanking is a mindset, but it's also often a responsibility. People expect the tank to lead and to set the pace. They expect the tank to already know exactly what to do, and any deviation or lack of perfection is often crucified.

What do we do about this? Start giving DPS more responsibilities in groups. Raids have been doing some of this for awhile, but mostly it's just "don't stand in the fire" and "kill the adds". There needs to be more diverse and deep responsibilities for DPS to where their job actually has consequences.

Sadly that would require Blizzard to deviate or change their formula for encounters, and possibly instance design, entirely. And that risks changing the reasons why people keep coming back to wow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Remove necrotic, grieveous in m+ and add vengeance again.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post

What do we do about this? Start giving DPS more responsibilities in groups. Raids have been doing some of this for awhile, but mostly it's just "don't stand in the fire" and "kill the adds". There needs to be more diverse and deep responsibilities for DPS to where their job actually has consequences.
    The DPS have a lot of responsibilities, the problem is the insanely low skill level/reflexes, of the players overall, they prefer to whine than actually play the game to its full extent.

A tank must always be the best player in the group when it comes to non-high level players/groups, cause the tank knows what he can handle, and what he can do without having to expect the horrible players to do shit all, as the basic Interrupting which 99% of the DPS have no idea what they are supposed to interrupt, or purge, or stun, that actually matter.

Now add a low knowledge/skill/reflexes tank, to an already terrible DPS knowledge group, and you get the pug world, wipes, wipes, wipes, and complains about basic things.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    The DPS have a lot of responsibilities, the problem is the insanely low skill level/reflexes, of the players overall, they prefer to whine than actually play the game to its full extent.

A tank must always be the best player in the group when it comes to non-high level players/groups, cause the tank knows what he can handle, and what he can do without having to expect the horrible players to do shit all, as the basic Interrupting which 99% of the DPS have no idea what they are supposed to interrupt, or purge, or stun, that actually matter.

Now add a low knowledge/skill/reflexes tank, to an already terrible DPS knowledge group, and you get the pug world, wipes, wipes, wipes, and complains about basic things.
    The interrupting thing especially rings true. I've been tanking on pally recently because they are so good at interrupting, because even when I have groups full of demon hunters (for whom interrupting is a DPS increase) the stupid teradactyls in Atal'Dazor still get off every fear that I don't personally interrupt. With avenger's shield, regular interrupt and the low CD ST stun its just so much easier to do it all yourself.

They need to make it fun and engaging. In its current state, its not only boring, its downright unforgiving. 1 mess up and the entire raid is on you qqing about how its your fault they wiped. Weather thats because the OT can't figure out a taunt swap or a idiot dps pulled aggro, its your fault. Heck, I got kicked as a veteran tank because I solo tanked a fight that was a 1 tank fight and called out the afk ot who nearly caused a wipe.

The mechanics also get so repetitive and boring. Taunt for X debuff. Stand over in that corner. Do next to no dps and no healing so you can't even defend yourself or hurt the enemy properly. Yawn.

Let tanks deal equal damage to a dps. That will make it fun. Trying to deal damage and deal with mechanics. As a dps, its fun and engaging to try to maximize damage output. Nothing to maximize for a tank except not using a cd at a wrong time.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

What is with wow players and forcing people to do stuff

NO ONES SOCIAL BLIZZ FORCE THEM
    NO ONES TANKING BLIZZ FORCE THEM