Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Its pretty much "Why can't we go back to the old ways" Its a cliche at this point and well overrated.
    Well one must first be willing to realize that the old ways the game worked were better. IT's when the game layered rng upon rng upon time gated contend upon broken classes upon broken professions did the game really start to be really bad. Don't get mad at the messenger, get mad at the people who forced the messsenger to preach what he's saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    There was some speculation regarding it but nothing concrete.
    I mean, if you compare it to Legion, 7.3.5 really served as bridge in terms of story between Legion and BfA, how the Sword led to the appearance of Azerite, which in turn strained the Alliance / Horde relations and so forth.

The bridge between BfA and Shadowlands is now seemingly done via 9.0 and that's it.

Was it planned?
    Perhaps, 8.3 being also not being such a huge patch strongly indicates that Blizzard shelved any development of BfA in favour of Shadowlands, but there's not a 100% proof that 8.3.5 got beyond the planning stage if it was planned to begin with.
    Pure speculation but I think originally the War Campaign was suppose to conclude in 8.3. There were probably plans for the Barrens Warfront as well before it was scrapped. Since they dumped the resources on WF then I imagine the finale was pushed to 8.2.5 to take place before the Shadowlands announcement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Depakote View Post
    Well one must first be willing to realize that the old ways the game worked were better. IT's when the game layered rng upon rng upon time gated contend upon broken classes upon broken professions did the game really start to be really bad. Don't get mad at the messenger, get mad at the people who forced the messsenger to preach what he's saying.
    The Post was about class abilities not the content itself so that isn't an issue. Calling for the days of Pre Legion is silly because there was a heck of a lot of issues back then to. The whining of CCfest was loud and well OP might claim "Ignore it who cares." but its a legit issue.

Case in point: This forum will never agree on every class in its iteration weather its from MoP or Legion.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidzor View Post
    Is there a reason you're not just playing Classic? Because I thought that "I miss how stuff used to work in WoW" deal was pretty much the whole reason Classic exists.
    This kind of response is stupid and narrow-minded. We had post-vanilla expansions where things worked the way OP is talking about that were, on whole, better and less annoying than BfA.

Think about it. You hit 120. Max level! Congrats you can get a new tier of tale.... oh wait no, you get NOTHING. While it wasn't game changing to get a new talent every level in Vanilla, TBC etc... it was a little reward. I get why that approach didn't scale well but they moved to giving us a new talent not every ONE level but every FIFTEEN. And then didn't even bother at 120.

One of the attractions of the older way of doing things was that at max level you were done adding talents etc. You improved your character by doing content for gear, by getting mats for enchants (and later, gems). At some point, you were mostly done with that, too unless you raided and even then your improvement was more gradual and gear-based. There was something nice about having maxed out a character for whatever 'maxed out' meant to you.

Now, they have built a never ending hamster wheel and from the replies here, they apparently have hamsters to play the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    The Post was about class abilities not the content itself so that isn't an issue. Calling for the days of Pre Legion is silly because there was a heck of a lot of issues back then to. The whining of CCfest was loud and well OP might claim "Ignore it who cares." but its a legit issue.

Case in point: This forum will never agree on every class in its iteration weather its from MoP or Legion.
    I'm not calling for the days of pre-legion. I forget when it was but when ele shamans could move while casting even though it was just that lightning bolt move that was the best time for classes. That may have been Mists but i'm not 100% sure, my memory is shit sorry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Depakote View Post
    I'm not calling for the days of pre-legion. I forget when it was but when ele shamans could move while casting even though it was just that lightning bolt move that was the best time for classes. That may have been Mists but i'm not 100% sure, my memory is shit sorry.
    Yes I remember that and the discussion over it(If it has to exist I'm ok with it being in PVE cause last I checked back then, Shamans are limited in mobility). Thats one example of a OP kinda mechanic that people really made a big deal out of.

There was also I think for awhile during Cata to Mist in tiers the tier sets would give classes sorta quality of life things that made the class feel better once you got the set...and sometimes during class balancing they'd give it to you later(Like getting a tier set would make your class maybe not be frustrating).
    Last edited by Aeluron Lightsong; 2020-02-06 at 06:25 PM.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by monkaTOS View Post
    I don't miss any of those things.
    If I did, I'd play Classic so maybe you should do that.
    Thank you for the advice.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaito92 View Post
    *there was alot of datamined stuff for 8.3.5
    There wasn't.

I didn't even comment on the quality (or lack of) of current WoW - Like most players, I don't play games I don't enjoy.

Now go renew your sub.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightstalker View Post
    You mean where most abilities just gained a slight bit of extra damage and rarely any binary effect or improvement in performance?
    The average player isen't that smart tho, and they feel happy that they get something each level.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're upset with the game and are just rambling. At least try to make some sense if you're going to start a thread. Saying "I wish it were more like the old days where you'd gain all your abilities at max level" isn't even remotely accurate. You level up and gain abilities as you level. The difference between back then and now is that you no longer have to go to a trainer to learn your next ranks. At no point did you specify that you miss having to learn abilities from trainers. What abilities did you even gain at max level other than new ranks? In Classic, everyone has the option to pick their final talent tree ability at level 40, 20 levels from max level. In retail, you get your final talent tier at level 100, 20 levels from max level.

So in short, you don't gain any abilities at max level other than new ranks. This hasn't changed. So you're complaining about something that hasn't changed. What you're complaining about is having to work for new abilities. I agree it can become tiresome grinding rank 3 essences on alts, especially if you're trying to maintain 4 or more alts. At no point do I mind grinding them, I just believe they should be account wide.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmilblick View Post
    Oh god, how can you be so narrow minded ? so instead of "enhancing" those said "weak" abilities, we just lock then behind grind and rng ? so good.
    Actually, in most cases with our abilities, the 1/2/3/4/5 points we added with the old talent system are baked in so they are inherently increased. You ARE correct in that the rng grind of legendaries/essences/artifact abilities does exponentially raise the bar. But in regards to what is baseline, we are getting what we would have always gotten in the past, but we get a number of actually interactive abilities or abilities your spec may not have had access to before in return.

I think what you really do not like with talents and abilities is the power creep they keep introducing into the game which makes the constant grind, beyond that for increasingly more powerful gear and items, necessary in order to keep up.

Personally, I don't mind the talents and abilities changes. I hate the artificial improvement systems such as essences and artifact power. But I don't think it's going away any time soon. Ion and company just seem to want to keep doubling-down and push it down our throats.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Remember the days when we leveled up, had to stop questing and travel 20 minutes to a capitol city to buy abilities, then travel another 40 minutes while battling our way through the re-spawned elites mobs to get back to the quest we were on? Remember being greatly annoyed by it?

Learning abilities like it was in classic was kinda cool in classic. At this point in WoW history where every pleb knows all the spells it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post
    MoP was the gold standard for me for classes and I'd be willing to bet if you polled the people here it would be the gold standard for others as well.
    The game largely died off with what makes the game an RPG on the Cataclysm patch. Wrath was the right mix of casual friendly and hardcore, but it suffered from content droughts.

If they had made item budgets a little looser, but followed the Wrath formula, I think the game would have maintained better. It went from "I need these items to succeed" to "if it has a higher item level, it's better." Which even that statement is flawed because of the ridiculous amounts of RNG that come with gear.

If they had made secondary stats not completely ruin the budget of an item, like hit rating, it could be on gear and not make other stats suffer. The only flaw with pre-Cata gear was being forced to wear something that wasn't that good until you reached hit cap or defense cap using something else.

I don't miss the ranking up abilities while leveling, but I do definitely miss the old talent system. The only pro of ranking up abilities was the potential to have ability codexs drop like in AQ where you had horizontal progression outside of just gear.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaito92 View Post
    there was for a mini patch
    There wasn't. Not a lot.

i think they should make you have to do a small quest chain for each new ability you get. learn to use it each time.

basically like old warlock demon quests, only for every single ability.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm agnostic on having all abilities at max level. Getting some additional abilities after leveling is an incentive to stay with the game a little longer, that's true enough. I wouldn't mind trading a bit more grind for a lot less RNG with abilities and progression generally at endgame.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I'm agnostic on having all abilities at max level. Getting some additional abilities after leveling is an incentive to stay with the game a little longer, that's true enough. I wouldn't mind trading a bit more grind for a lot less RNG with abilities and progression generally at endgame.
    Well, I like to grind but just not for abilities.

Eh understandable. I sometimes wish I could have more RPG and self determined character progression like back when I played RO as teenager. But wow was never that kind of game.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.