Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I can't take any arguement serious that starts with
    even in WoD somehow the grinds felt much less tedious and they were more rewarding. In BfA they feel pointless, unrewarding and plain awful.
    This is just rose colored glasses honestly.

You don't seem to remember what the "grinds" were in WoD.
    They were LITERALLY KILLING MOBS. No dailies, no world quests, no nothing.
    The game launched with reps that the ONLY way to get to exalted was to kill mobs.

And those reps gave next to nothing.

Certainly by comparison to today's reps.

Let's be serious.
    The reason you liked them better is because you didn't do them.
    They didn't feel "mandatory" like they are now.

I know I didn't do them.
    I didn't do them because there is absolutely zero things I would rather do less in this game than join a 5 player AOE farm group for world content reps that gave gear worse than LFR and other cosmetics.

WoD was a fine expansion. The raids were alright, and Challenge Modes were excellent.

But it had nothing to do.
    I don't care how good you think the instanced content is, there is just a thousand more ways to progress your character in BFA.

So the only way I can buy WoD being better is the same logic applied to the "grinds" being better.

You just prefer the game to offer very little to do regularly.

I do not.
    I like playing WoW, and by the end of WoD I was REALLY scraping the bottom of the bucket.

Ala leveling Blood DKs on EU realms to do CMs when I normally play on US.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

10+ Year Old Account
    WoD was definitely better.

It wasn't good, but at least it didn't waste your time with soulless menial garbage like Legion and BfA. The most tedious thing about WoD was managing your garrison, which compared to WQs, islands, warfronts, and endless essence grinds... I'll take garrisons in a heartbeat.

That being said, it's not like Blizzard should be taking lessons from WoD. It was still crap. It was just crap that you didn't need to play 6 hours a day to keep up, which I vastly preferred to the MAU bullshit of today.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey There Guys its Metro View Post
    So the only way I can buy WoD being better is the same logic applied to the "grinds" being better.

You just prefer the game to offer very little to do regularly.
    I prefer my grinds to be optional. Think Netherwing, Shatari Skyguard, Cloud Serpents, MoP farmville. Those were acceptable grinds because they weren't required.

There is nothing more obnoxious than feeling forced to do trivial content as a hardcore player because the rewards are irreplaceable.
    Last edited by Marxman; 2020-02-08 at 05:32 AM.

i played the fuck out of WoD

classes were more fun

i soloed more than ever and made more gold than ever

so yeah

more fun

It depends on what you're looking at.

Most classes were more fun to play in WoD. This is a big one, because it applies to pretty much every form of content, all the time. It colors the overall impression for an expansion significantly. BFA ruined a lot of classes even more than the Legion changes already had, and the loss of Legion artifacts was compensated for very poorly, if at all. Some classes are downright insultingly bad to play compared to some previous incarnations, and the effort/reward ratio is all over the place, as is the pacing of gameplay, viability in different forms of content, and strengths/weaknesses (hi there, Disc Priest/Holy Pala raid healing and Havoc DH!).

Raids are, on the whole, better in BFA. Honestly, BFA had no bad raids, and some really good ones. BoD and TEP are both fantastic raids. Crucible was very divisive, because it was amazing for hardcore raiders and almost irrelevant to everyone else. Uldir was alright for a first-tier raid, but certainly had some good fights. WoD's high point was basically BRF, which was one of the best raids of all time; the rest was rather middling, and HFC was around for WAY too long.

In terms of story, WoD was largely panned for its preposterous plot and unsatisfactory resolution on all fronts, making it feel like a filler expansion. On the other hand, BFA's lore is all over the place, and nobody actually enjoyed the faction war - which was hyped up and then fizzled out spectacularly. Honestly, this is a wash in my book - both expansions are the two worst in WoW's history when it comes to story/lore. But I can definitely understand people who say BFA is the actual worst, because of the many ways they butchered the story.

For everyday non-raid content, BFA certainly has a lot to do - but whether or not that's a good or bad thing is up for grabs. Still, WoD was also fairly terrible; making people afk in their Garrison to rake in all the things automatically was not a good system. BFA also had some good ideas with zones like Mechagon, so I'd say it's middle of the field, with one caveat: essence acquisition for alts is NIGHTMARISHLY BAD.

Progression systems are a big problem in BFA. Azerite turned out to be terrible in both components, with azerite armor being an RNG fest that basically put extra talents on a die-roll system, and AP being a soul-sucking grindfest. Corruption will likely enter the history books as THE most untuned progression system ever released - while titanforging was a big problem for sure and needed to be addressed, corruption was an absolute clusterfuck on release, and we don't even know if the fixes slated for next reset will make it better enough for it not to feel like a terrible rehash of Legiondaries. WoD doesn't really score here because... uh... it barely had anything?

Visually, BFA actually scores well. The zones are beautiful. The rot/corruption aesthetic of Uldir/Underrot works as well as the architecture of Zuldazar, and even though it was a painfull zone to play in, Nazjatar looks impressive. Ny'alotha is equally well designed, with a great unifying aesthetic. Armor sets are a bit middling, but then again we haven't really had many good armor sets in WoW overall and it's always been one of the weaker points of the game. It's certainly MUCH better than WoD's recycled Draenor aesthetic, which I'm sure didn't blow away anyone; though Blackrock Foundry does stand out as a gorgeous zone.

Blizzard: adds two raid modes that are braindead easy to appease the casuals, makes it easier than ever to gear up mains and alts and stay on top of the curve, adds a PvP mode that is braindead easy and yet gives equivalent rewards to arena (RBGs)

Players: NUHHHH WE WANT TO GRIND DAILIES

We deserved BfA.

For reference, both WotLK and TBC had as a little if not less endgame content than WoD. But people back then understood that raiding and arena were the "endgame" and if you didn't like that, you just leveled alts. It's only during WoD that an influx of crybabies invaded WoW who wanted braindead grinding to reward loot equivalent to raiding and arena.
    Last edited by Wilfire; 2020-02-08 at 06:20 AM.

What is absolutely mind blogging is that the same people who complain about AP now didn't mind it in Legion where it was 10 times worse.
    The same people complaining about corruption didn't mind legiondaries that had waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more farming to do before you actually got them.
    And what is absolutely hilarious is people saying azerite gear is RNG when you can straight up buy specific ones from vendor or get specific ones from raid.
    Corruption is bad but not as bad as legiondaries were because their droprate is high. Even method said same thing.

And WoD? It didn't have anything.

WoD with capital cities, M+, much much nerfed garrison. world quests and some solo scenarios could be one of the best expansions but... now its far behind.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    WoD has so little content that it truly cannot be classed as anything near BfA. the raids are comparable, maybe WoD has the edge on that one but that is literally it. BfA has mythic plus, islands, warfronts, visions and so much more content than WoD did. plus, if you're mad about the final cinematic and the ending of BfA - WoD's ending made less sense

Quote Originally Posted by ano2024 View Post
    Anybody else honestly believe WoD was better?
    No sane person does, especially no one who played wod when it was recent

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    I don't really disagree with most of what you say, but for me the grindiness is such an overwhelming negative that BFA can't beat WoD.

It's like comparing two vacations and saying:

BFA had better weather than WoD
    I really liked the hotel rooms in BFA better than the WoD ones
    We went on some excellent excursions in BFA, better than the ones in WoD
    A shark bit my face off in BFA

3/4 categories win, BFA is better!
    This!

It will probably be different for everyone but quite frankly, I had more fun with the classes in WoD. It's fairly useless to have a ton more content if you don't enjoy doing it with your class.

WoD was better because:

Raiding was better (better raids + tier sets)
    No AP grind
    Far, far better class design
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    WoD classes were just watered down MoP classes for the most part. Some classes like warrior and mage lost more than others. Hunter was loads of fun, DK still had presences, there was still a noticeable skill difference between a class "main" and someone who just picked up that class. Not the case in BfA. You can pick up any class/spec in the game and within within 2-3 weeks you can play it just as well as someone who has been maining it for years.
    This isn't even as true anymore, now its if you get lucky with Corruption you're just going to be higher than someone who gets bad Corruption.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

I didn't unsub at the end of WoD. But I'm finding myself increasingly reluctant to log in now.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Yes, I think I almost prefer everything in WoD to BfA. Exceptions are Warfronts, Allied races, some transmog options and other small things.
    Mother pus bucket!

BFA kept my attention much more than WoD did, the only thing that kept me subbed in WoD was making all that free gold. I had stuff to do when i logged into BFA until really this last patch, which just doesn't motivate at all.

WoD vs BfA is like toxic masculinity vs. feminist cringe

Both are bad

7+ Year Old Account
    WOD was good when it launched. The problem with WOD is that it was abandoned 1/3 of the way through, thus it felt like a scam. IF it hadn't just had 1 patch (that was relatively inconsequential except for 1 zone that had already been in beta, and a raid), and had had as many updates as BFA had? WOD would've wiped the floor with it.

I enjoyed playing WOD, i was subscribed for like 80% of the time.
    It was the most flawed expansion (before BFA came out) but i genuinely had fun in WOD. and meeting those old war1/war2 characters was neat.

BFA is just dead on arrival.
    Classes are so boring that it makes ANY type of content a dull job.
    Island Expeditions and Warfronts are boring and pointless.
    Story is utter nonsense and its just boring AF... even blizzard jumped ship on the last NZoth patch and went to work on Shadowlands instead.
    There is no significant max level solo/quest content (especially compared to legion).

You can not butcher classes in an RPG and expect it to be fine.
    RPGs are about characters role playing in a world...

Classes in WoD were NOT deeper. MoP hilariously dumbed down classes and WoD took it a step further. Classes have been the same since then, besides a couple lackluster reworks here and there for too few specs.

Though I do agree that WoD was much more polished. All it needed was a reason to play it. At no point during WoD's runcycle did I ever feel insulted and disrespected like BFA has.

Quote Originally Posted by Nak88 View Post
    WoD was way better than BfA.

Classes were much interesting to play with way larger action bars/icons/skills and raids were amazing, especially BRF. In addition, garrisons were much more interesting than the shit we have on BfA.
    Not sure if serious. WoD was the worst expansion by far and nothing else comes close. The zones and raids were nice, but that was all it had going for it. Garrisons were extremely terrible and secluded the player-base. You could have a bank, auctioneer, mailbox, herb garden, mine, and transmoger. Ashran was also dogshit, and the only BG I insta leave. It’s sad when the only content outside raid was sending out garrison missions and camping Poundfist.

The gold mission on multiple character was the only good thing