Poll: Worst final content patch?

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    8.3: Laughably bad, despite being a content patch as thick and meaty as 7.3 it really has nothing to offer, its too samey, and equally too stagnant, with a completley forgettable end game.
    Could you try and explain this oxymoron please? If you don't like some of the systems then just say so, don't sit here and try to go for the same tired forum argument of content you do not like being the same as no content. What held up 7.3 was not Argus, it was the mage tower from 7.2, which added an incentive to level as many alts as possible, don't try to act like 7.3 was this grand masterpiece all of a sudden.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

3+ Year Old Account
    6.2 for me. Awful raid, awful endgame zone. Just terrible all around.

I've enjoyed BfA (not the lore or Islands and Warfronts) but yeah, I'm hard pressed to agree, this was the least exciting final patch just because the whole story felt so disjointed.

15+ Year Old Account
    I actually enjoy 8.3 quite a bit right now. I especially like the way the assaults cycle, with the major assault changing every week and the minor assault every 3.5 days. Keeps things feeling a bit more varied.

I doubt that it'll maintain my interest for too much longer, though. I hit Revered a couple days ago and the dailies are starting to feel very repetitive.

Horrific Visions are still quite fun, at least, and Ny'alotha is pretty solid.

I also have some alts I want to finish leveling, though for the sub-110 characters I'd rather wait for SL.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeymootwo View Post
    Nobody remembers that because it isn't true. The barrens thing (which was pretty terrible) was in the patch before SoO, called Escalation. 5.4 added the 14 boss SoO raid, Timeless Isle, and our first pet battle dungeon.
    IMHO 5.3 was actually pretty decent. I mean yeah it was a small patch (altho it was more than 3 quests and the barrens became an active daily area), but it came very shortly after 5.2 so it worked well as just extra content to 5.2 and it added some much needed catch up gear.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Vanilla did have a radically different patch cycle than the expansions, and its final content patch was 1.12 (Drums of War) as well which only brought class changes, item updates and cross-realm Battlegrounds if memory serves.
    If I am not mistaken it also added EPL and Silithus as "open world BG's". But yeah it was also a very small patch, which however worked well for vanilla.

- - - Updated - - -

BTT: I don't think 8.3 is nearly as bad some people say it is. It still added a ton of fun content, however it wasn't enough to "save" BfA and ofc the raid finale is very bad.

Nothing compares to 6.2, a year of nothing. Even at launch tanaan was really boring. Just having m+ beats 6.2 for me. Daily world content really doesnt matter much, be it argus, tanaan, timeless isle or rehashed old(god) areas it's all the same gameplay loop of meh. Really enjoying m+, the raid and visions so far. I do remember being already bored of tanaan and hfc pretty quick.

Good to see the bfa bandwagon still going on strong. I'm guessing even when the game is apparently at it's worst people keep on playing.

Time will tell, of course. It's hard to say about 8.3 because we don't know how long 8.3 will last and that's a huge factor. But for sure, 8.3 is at risk of losing its shine quite quickly, given that the content is really relegated to invasions, visions, and the raid. That said, my vote goes to SoO. We had the raid and timeless isle, which were both good content, but the amount of time that it lasted (15 months IIRC) made it unbearable at the end. Tanaan comes in a very close second, for the very same reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say 5.4 - not only there was no world content whatsoever, it also lasted for absurd amount of time.

8.3 is overall ok, IMO - it definitely has stuff outside raid and raid is big and good too. I don't think it's as good as Argus or TBC one, but it's better than Cata or MoP that's for sure. If it lasts only 9 months it will be a win, any longer than that and it will overstay its welcome fast.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2020-02-08 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Guess SWP doesn't count then either?
    SWP was a full content patch with outdoor questing zone, major story relevance, a 5 man dungeon and a raid.

RS was one measly random nobody boss.

I tink the scope here doesn't quite match.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu fhtagn View Post
    Good to see the bfa bandwagon still going on strong. I'm guessing even when the game is apparently at it's worst people keep on playing.
    Good to see the same nonsensical "reasoning" still going on strong. Because apparently you can't be playing the game and criticising some parts of it at the same time. Besides, if you hadn't played 8.3, how could you possibly criticise it at all?
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Good to see the same nonsensical "reasoning" still going on strong. Because apparently you can't be playing the game and criticising some parts of it at the same time. Besides, if you hadn't played 8.3, how could you possibly criticise it at all?
    There is a difference between criticizing parts and hating on it because that is just hwat people do.

The entire Legion people had problems with it, the story got repetetive real quick, Legiondaries was one of the worst systems concieved and the AP grind was awful, made worse by having to gear up an alt, or worse, an off-spec.
    7.2 is possibly one of the worst patches given to us when you consider the outdoor content, which consisted of a smattering of world quests and a "story" questline that had you do a menial task once a week.
    7.3 Had the netherlight crucible which was widely ridiculed, and generally was help up by the strenght of hte raid being quite good and the Mage tower being massively nerfed by ilvl, meaning that gearing alts for the different appearances was a reasonable pasttime.

Then BfA rolls around, and suddenly all those past flaws were forgiven, because BfA somehow did it way worse.
    Good stuff from Legion meant nothing, noone cared that raids were good, or that M+ was made more interesting with seasonal affixes. All that people cared about were the things that didnt quite work out.
    Eventually the forums seemed to hit a turning point were they decided that BfA was just bad overall, which, while being comparatively worse than Legion considering the new systems tainint it, is not nearly as bad as people seem to think.
    What it has led to is that no amount of good stuff is going to convince the forums to like it, and the valid criticisms like the faction war story being left by the wayside in favor of N'zoth being suddenly defeated is drowned out in an avalanche of the same whining threads about how BfA is worse than hitler, and that WoD is good by comparision, or any other hyperbole.

What makes it all the more galling is that you just know that in 2 years time the forums will be up in arms over how BfA did X and Y right compared to whatever new expansion we will be talking about at that time, with the new expansion being considered the worst of the worst.

It seemed more logical to me that 8.3 would get fewer votes because its still a new and somewhat fresh patch that people still have to fully play through. Once the drought kicks in after at least a few months, people would look back and see what the patch really offered after some time passed. 8.3 getting a lot of votes now either means that it either offered nothing new and engaging or people are just still unhappy with BFA in general and 8.3 did nothing to fix its issues.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Remember when they ended mists of pandaria with a raid and like 3 quests in the barrens. For like a fucking year?
    No, I dont remember that because it didnt happen.

The last patch had SoO with 14 bosses, the Timeless Isle and Throne of Thunder was still relevant for trinkets and achievements.

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    It seemed more logical to me that 8.3 would get fewer votes because its still a new and somewhat fresh patch that people still have to fully play through. Once the drought kicks in after at least a few months, people would look back and see what the patch really offered after some time passed. 8.3 getting a lot of votes now either means that it either offered nothing new and engaging or people are just still unhappy with BFA in general and 8.3 did nothing to fix its issues.
    At this point i am convinced the forums have just decided that BfA is all bad all the time, and that no amount of good content will convince them otherwise. They are simply bad by association to BfA.

10+ Year Old Account
    It comes down to 6.2 and 8.3.

4.3 was bad, but between the new LFR and the new dungeons, there was "enough" to do, especially considering the lack of barriers and timegating for alts. Class design was also still very strong at this point in the game, leading to a small amount of content but a large amount of fun, even despite how bad Dragon Soul was overall.

6.2 sucked. Tanaan Jungle was bad. Class design was notably worse than Cata/MoP. LFR was pointless, as they had heavily nerfed the rewards. Hellfire Citadel was not a good raid. No new dungeons. Shipyard (one of the worst pieces of content in the games history). 6.2 was really bad.

8.3... just has chores and the new raid. I don't particularly enjoy Horrific Visions. Daily lesser visions are just unnecessarily annoying (it takes longer to get to the zone than it does to complete this... why is it a daily?). Ny'alotha is a decent raid, no doubt, but between poor class design and a monolithic brick wall gating away alt play, 8.3 has less to do, despite actually having more and better content than 6.2. The essence grind really is holding this patch back hugely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    *snip*
    This forum bandwagonning is a staple of WoW for many years, it just got more severe as of late because overall there seems to be this toxic gamer culture of ridicule being rampant overall, where all this faux gamer rage and constant witty bullshit being perceived as cool by unwashed masses.

So yes, despite BFA literally being Legion 2.0 in many ways - people still somehow make it out as if its "teh worst evah" while Legion was apparently the second coming of Jesus Christ of Expansion.

That's not to say that BFA is some perfect expansion there, clearly Warfronts, Isles and Azerite did not play out as Blizz hoped and some classes have legitimate grievances, but it's definitely not the worst ever expansion.

I'd rate it as ok expansion, really. Well done M+ evolution and Allied Races are all well received. Raids were good, some story parts were really good (Jaina finally getting a decent story and not becoming yet another hero no.241 going mad), 8.2 being a big highlight with both Nazjatar and Mechagon being amongs the best zones given yet because of their great content. I really think this expansion was not as terrible as people make it out - it's definitely better than WoD and for sure better than Cata.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeymootwo View Post
    I can’t remember the 5.3 patch exactly but I remember doing it for like two days and then it being pointless once I got the toys from the rares, or something like that. I remember being extremely underwhelmed with what was otherwise my absolute favorite expansion by a mile.
    tbh besides doing the 5.3 quests I didn't bother a lot with the barrens either on my main. Pretty much all of the loot rewards were catch up gear so I did them a lot on my alts. If you were already raiding ToT then there wasn't anything there for you.

Anybody that didn't answer Hour of Twilight, didn't play it. 8.3 kind of sucks but there's a lot of great stuff here.

Hour of Twilight was so bad, it tinged the image of an entirely good expansion. Visions is tinged by a mostly bad expansion. This patch sucks, but 4.3 was a new level of awful. Ny'alotha is pretty cool aside from the lore stuffs. The encounters are pretty cool. Horrific Visions are cool. Dynamic zones are cool. The idea of corrupted gear is really cool too, it was just a hard first swing.

There was nothing in Hour of Twilight that I could come away saying was a promising innovation.

Quote Originally Posted by chorx View Post
    Anybody that didn't answer Hour of Twilight, didn't play it. 8.3 kind of sucks but there's a lot of great stuff here.

Hour of Twilight was so bad, it tinged the image of an entirely good expansion. Visions is tinged by a mostly bad expansion. This patch sucks, but 4.3 was a new level of awful. Ny'alotha is pretty cool aside from the lore stuffs. The encounters are pretty cool. Horrific Visions are cool. Dynamic zones are cool. The idea of corrupted gear is really cool too, it was just a hard first swing.

There was nothing in Hour of Twilight that I could come away saying was a promising innovation.
    Hour of twilight added transmog to the game which still keeps people occupied and is relevant to this very day. Don't think many end expansion patches have added such a feature with the exception of LFD in 3.3 maybe.
    Last edited by Poe; 2020-02-09 at 12:18 AM.
    "I feel bad for Limit , they put in so many hours only to come in second place" - Methodjosh

Really, 8.3 ? People didnt remember cataclysm last patch ? At least in 8.3 you have somewhat "some" action with assaults, rares, secrets, pvp and visions...

Cataclysm you had the raid and 3 quests.