Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Med'an should have been the final boss in Legion

Hear me out. It's well documented that the player base hates Med'an, and most works Knaak, but simply continuing to ignore the character as if he doesn't exist, even though Blizzard has acknowledged him and his canon seems a bit short-sighted. Why not use him and put an end to him? Given Argus as a final boss was pulled out of left field to do nothing but establish the concept of World Souls, Med'an as the final boss of Legion possessed Sargeras would have both put an end to his character, while harkening back to his own father's fate. It would have also delivered on a final encounter with Sargeras that many fans feel robbed of.

It could have still happened as things did, and Argus could have still been a boss leading up to Med'an, just not the final one. We find out Sargeras has possessed Med'an (of course this would have required build up to the final patch with introducing Med'an earlier in the expansion's patch cycle), all leading up to a final showdown where we the players beat Sargeras out of him, killing Med'an, we find Sargeras in the cloud, and The Pantheon still banishes him as things happened in-game.

What do you think? Good idea, or would you have preferred what we got in the form of Argus?

Me'dan as last boss isn't a bad idea. Also, we could put some suspicion on Turalyon and Alleria instead and be surprised by the outcome.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

Yes, great idea, fight with two titans, and then with Med'an
    I also never understood the completely unreasonable hatred of Med'an.
    Super strong? Take a look at Malfurion in Knaak's books, Thrall in Cataclysm, Jaina or Sylvanas in Bfa. Any of them will eat Med'an for breakfast.
    Strange pedigree? Well, I advise such people to start learning the lore of Warcraft and read about centaurs. Well, you know, the guys who came from the Keeper of the Grove and the princess of the earth elemental and therefore their ancestors are also the moon goddess, the huge deer, their son and the Elemental Lord of earth

But Argus made sense as to why we'd never heard of/seen him. He was confined to a planet we'd never been to. Me'Dan has no such restrictions.

Also imagine the players who arent super invested in lore, say enough to know about a comic series, a mention in a short story and some blizzard q&as, coming face to face with some orc looking dude as a final boss. Argus looked cool and had a epic easy to understand backstory.

I.e.

"Sargeras tortured a god to madness and is using him as a weapon"

"So remember Medhiv and Gorona? Well that has a kid. Also his related to maard....yeah the dead one. Anyway he sort of become the guardian but not really. His like this shaman, mage, paladin Etc etc"

He'd of needed to be in Legion from day one.
    Last edited by Newname1234567890; 2020-02-11 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderZebra View Post
    But Argus made sense as to why we'd never heard of/seen him. He was confined to a planet we'd never been to. Me'Dan has no such restrictions.

Also imagine the players who arent super invested in lore, say enough to know about a comic series, a mention in a short story and some blizzard q&as, coming face to face with some orc looking dude as a final boss. Argus looked cool and had a epic easy to understand backstory.

I.e.

"Sargeras tortured a god to madness and is using him as a weapon"

"So remember Medhiv and Gorona? Well that has a kid. Also his related to maard....yeah the dead one. Anyway he sort of become the guardian but not really. His like this shaman, mage, paladin Etc etc"

He'd of needed to be in Legion from day one.
    He definitely would have had to be featured in Legion from the onset, fully acknowledged, and that would have been the satisfying payoff. He finally appears in WoW, but we wouldn't have known he would be the final boss of the expansion. He would have been featured semi-regularly as a background character, not Guardian of Tirisfal, but a powerful mortal, son of Medivh, but doesn't like to get involved in mortal affairs, having no real effect on events transpiring during Legion's main story (Broken Isles campaign, Suramar, Val'sharah, etc.) Then through a storyline nearing the final patch, or quest exposition, we discover Sargeras has possessed him, and of course, in final boss form, he would undergo a transformation to appear more menacing than he does in the comics, much like Medivh himself transformed into a demon-like, Sargeras amalgam when Sargeras possessed him.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by darkoms View Post
    Super strong? Take a look at Malfurion in Knaak's books, Thrall in Cataclysm, Jaina or Sylvanas in Bfa. Any of them will eat Med'an for breakfast.
    Strange pedigree? Well, I advise such people to start learning the lore of Warcraft and read about centaurs. Well, you know, the guys who came from the Keeper of the Grove and the princess of the earth elemental and therefore their ancestors are also the moon goddess, the huge deer, their son and the Elemental Lord of earth
    Good point, players rejected Thrall during Cataclysm for the characterization, but he wasn't outright killed off, ignored, or forgotten. Med'an in the role I'm proposing would hopefully pad out any backlash and hopefully write the character even better than Thrall was written, which came off a lot like Knaak's Med'an. Chris Metzen let his Thrall bias shine there, yet is still almost universally loved for doing something with his pet project similar to Knaak in the comics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between here and the sick, twisted world inside my head
    The problem with that is, it'll comfirm that Med'an is canon in the Lore, and we don't want that, now that he's pretty much been confirmed non-canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Lupinemancer View Post
    The problem with that is, it'll comfirm that Med'an is canon in the Lore, and we don't want that, now that he's pretty much been confirmed non-canon.
    When was he officially confirmed as non-canon? I missed that if it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    When was he officially confirmed as non-canon? I missed that if it happened.
    He was retconned from being the Guardian but its existence is not confirmed as canon

From BlizzCon 2016 WoW Q&A:

Q: What happened to Med'an from the comic series? Wasn’t he supposed to be the new Guardian?

A: Certain fiction exists outside of World of Warcraft wouldn’t be considered canon. Med'an being the Guardian isn’t World of Warcraft canon. There may be a story for Med'an coming that could be canon, but the comic version isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by ReVnX View Post
    He was retconned from being the Guardian but its existence is not confirmed as canon

From BlizzCon 2016 WoW Q&A:

Q: What happened to Med'an from the comic series? Wasn’t he supposed to be the new Guardian?

A: Certain fiction exists outside of World of Warcraft wouldn’t be considered canon. Med'an being the Guardian isn’t World of Warcraft canon. There may be a story for Med'an coming that could be canon, but the comic version isn't.
    Ah, thanks for the source. Sounds like they kind of plan or may want to use him sometime down the line, but what Knaak did with him isn't canon to them.

Good point, players rejected Thrall during Cataclysm for the characterization, but he wasn't outright killed off, ignored, or forgotten. Med'an in the role I'm proposing would hopefully pad out any backlash and hopefully write the character even better than Thrall was written, which came off a lot like Knaak's Med'an. Chris Metzen let his Thrall bias shine there, yet is still almost universally loved for doing something with his pet project similar to Knaak in the comics.
    Minor point, Richard Knaak had nothing to do with Med'an. That was Micky Neilson who created him.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    Minor point, Richard Knaak had nothing to do with Med'an. That was Micky Neilson who created him.
    Huh. All right, I'm out. lol

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Ah, thanks for the source. Sounds like they kind of plan or may want to use him sometime down the line, but what Knaak did with him isn't canon to them.
    Their reply feels a lot like backpeddling. Because much of what was in the comic has BEEN canon. I think they just realized what a colossal mistake he was. The comic shit all over a couple of characters I really loved, such as Magna Agwynn.

I loved Walt Simonson's run on The Mighty Thor, back in the late 80s. It was some of the best Thor stories ever. But I swear to God, any time he teams with his wife Louise, they just churn out absolute crap.

It's not just the pedigree but the specific characters. Medivh and Garona were not portrayed as being romantically involved, but supposedly they had a secret kid together at some point? Really? Plus dragging back the Guardian of Tirisfal title when Medivh was supposed to be The Last Guardian and WC 3 ended with Medivh saying the world no longer needed one. So going back and saying 'oh wait yeah we do' was annoying.

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    I am pretty certain that taint of a character was created by Walt Simonson.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakshana View Post
    I am pretty certain that taint of a character was created by Walt Simonson.
    Micky Neilson took credit on Twitter, though I'm having trouble finding that particular tweet at the moment.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Hear me out. It's well documented that the player base hates Med'an, and most works Knaak, but simply continuing to ignore the character as if he doesn't exist, even though Blizzard has acknowledged him and his canon seems a bit short-sighted. Why not use him and put an end to him? Given Argus as a final boss was pulled out of left field to do nothing but establish the concept of World Souls, Med'an as the final boss of Legion possessed Sargeras would have both put an end to his character, while harkening back to his own father's fate. It would have also delivered on a final encounter with Sargeras that many fans feel robbed of.

It could have still happened as things did, and Argus could have still been a boss leading up to Med'an, just not the final one. We find out Sargeras has possessed Med'an (of course this would have required build up to the final patch with introducing Med'an earlier in the expansion's patch cycle), all leading up to a final showdown where we the players beat Sargeras out of him, killing Med'an, we find Sargeras in the cloud, and The Pantheon still banishes him as things happened in-game.

What do you think? Good idea, or would you have preferred what we got in the form of Argus?
    Quick thing though... Med'an wasn't a Knaak character - like at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Mhm? None of those however, were quarter orc, quarter draenei, half human, mage/priest/shamans though.... Aside from that, as a character he was a whiny, annoying little shit and basically a poor attempt to add Superman into Warcraft. The authors who wrote those horrible warcraft comics used to work for DC and make Superman stories.

- - - Updated - - -

Even Chronicle Part 3 had the "Med'an - See page 404" joke

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Oakshana View Post
    Their reply feels a lot like backpeddling. Because much of what was in the comic has BEEN canon. I think they just realized what a colossal mistake he was. The comic shit all over a couple of characters I really loved, such as Magna Agwynn.

I loved Walt Simonson's run on The Mighty Thor, back in the late 80s. It was some of the best Thor stories ever. But I swear to God, any time he teams with his wife Louise, they just churn out absolute crap.
    I kind of wish they'd realise like a short story for free online the 'canon' version of the comic story.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Even Chronicle Part 3 had the "Med'an - See page 404" joke
    From the Titans perspective he is a joke

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Micky Neilson took credit on Twitter, though I'm having trouble finding that particular tweet at the moment.
    I can't seem to source it either, but I remember the one I think you're referring to where Neilson says that Med'an is "his creation" and so forth.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

That's actually quite an interesting idea to utilize him. I particularly like the mirroring of Medivh's story. Kinda poetic. I wouldn't make him the final boss though but a boss in Nighthold. Replace the whole bit with Illidan being Sargeras' planned vessel, because with this Med'an story it would be rather redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderZebra View Post

I don't know about you but "Medivh's son" is a backstory that's rather easy to follow. To the point that I doubt even Blizzard would fuck up conveying it to the larger audience previously unaware of him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

No, the Highlord, the Warlock, the Warrior, and the Mage that defeated the Mighty Kil'jaeden the Deceiver with legendary Artifacts gifted to them by beings of legend (Or something like that) aren't going to struggle against fucking Me'dan of all people the patch after.

Argus is a much more powerful foe, and I'm glad we got to fight him instead of "mE'DaN"

- - - Updated - - -

(Also doubt that Illidan, Velen, and Khadgar would struggle against him either. Especially Illidan, who slaughtered a Prime Naaru with a single blow)