Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

ShitShow at DOJ Today: Rule of Law Possibly Dead

Ongoing In: Tradechat was so busy about Harambe Iowa, It never noticed Rule of Law dying in the middle of the street.

Today:
    Trump tweeted the Roger Stone sentencing was unfair.
    Bill Barr reduces the sentecing recommendation for Roger Stone.
    All four line prosecutors who signed the original Roger Stone sentencing recommendation for 7-9 years incarceration have withdrawn from the case this afternoon.

This is following the dismissal of Ukraine witnesses Vindman and Sondland.
    Trump Fires Defense Official for Refusing to Break the Law on His Behalf
    Government Affiliated Snark

If this isn't shitting on the separation of powers I don't know what is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    If this isn't shitting on the separation of powers I don't know what is.
    It's not the separation of powers, the DoJ falls under the Executive branch of government.

This is just base, transparent, rank corruption and conflicts of interest. Still corruption, just a different type.

10+ Year Old Account
    And the MAGAts will, of course, see nothing wrong with Trump meddling like this.

Can you imagine how they would have howled if President Obama did only a fraction of what Trump has done?
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

Incredible our rule of law is getting crushed like this. I mean next Senate majority and a President wants an AG like or worse than Barr. Effin scary.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Incoming deflections along the lines of "Remember when Obama did X...?", "But Hillary...!", and my personal favourite "Both sides.."

Remember guys Trump totally learned his lesson from impeachment and will behave /s

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    And the MAGAts will, of course, see nothing wrong with Trump meddling like this.

Can you imagine how they would have howled if President Obama did only a fraction of what Trump has done?
    Yeah that's the thing. I love using the argument of my transgender, Muslim, SJW doing the same, but the cult doesn't care.

While the Dems are not some angelic party, I think the Republicans or Trump cult knows the Dems will never do this, but when in power let Trump do whatever he wants.
    Last edited by Paranoid Android; 2020-02-12 at 12:27 AM.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

If Susan Collins had ANY shame whatsoever, she'd resign.

https://mobile.twitter.com/atrupar/s...52806992072704

Trump "stays out of things", but thinks he has an "absolute right" to tell the DoJ how to recommend sentencing.

(he doesn't')

Well, Judge Amy Berman Jackson isn't any friend of Trump. So don't be surprised if she doles out a 10yr sentence to Stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://mobile.twitter.com/atrupar/s...52806992072704

Trump "stays out of things", but thinks he has an "absolute right" to tell the DoJ how to recommend sentencing.

(he doesn't')
    Technically there is no law that says he can't turn the justice department into his personal weapon, the only check on presidential powers is congress and they are too busy kissing his ass. Let's face it the republican party just gave Trump the power to do whatever he wants, he will use the DOJ and every dirty trick in the book to win 2020. Get ready for "surprise" investigations into the democratic nominee and more William Barr press conferences which are political rallies for Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Well, Judge Amy Berman Jackson isn't any friend of Trump. So don't be surprised if she doles out a 10yr sentence to Stone.
    I'm predicting that no matter what happens here, Trump pardons Stone. Especially if he gets the sentence he deserves.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    While the sentiment of the post is spot on, and the rule of law seems to have entirely left the Executive Branch, the Judiciary can still hold firm. The sentencing guidelines are only that, guidelines - the judge has some room to make up their own mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    I'm predicting that no matter what happens here, Trump pardons Stone. Especially if he gets the sentence he deserves.
    I think this is most likely. It is worth noting that this whole mess is about sentencing recommendations, and the Judge can ignore them if they like. That isn't to belittle the significance of what Barr did today. This was bad, like historically bad, because it places the Justice Department squarely on the side of protecting Trump's friends, rather then... Justice.

Still, the Judge can ignore the unjust Justice Department, and sentence what they like, but Trump is already considering a pardon out loud, and I can't think of any incentive he might have to not do it. He is essentially immune to impeachment, and it isn't going to change the opinion of anyone that currently likes him. So I would put a very strong probability that Stone gets pardoned.

Senate enabled corruption to take total control. What a time to be alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    If Congress were to suddenly impeach Trump over the Russia stuff, Trump couldn't though, correct? Because what Stone did falls under that?

Trump's butt buddies never removed him from office...so yes, he can still pardon Stone.
    Unless NY state wants a piece of him.

Trump was given free license to do whatever the fuck he wants, so why wouldn't he? There's no one to keep him in check.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/jus...m_npd_nn_tw_ma

TLDR: Barr is Trump's sad, pathetic, ugly, out of shape lapdog and is taking over on DoJ matters that Trump doesn't like and carrying out his bidding.