Page 1 of 31
... LastLast

The Void Elves Discussion thread

Hello everyone.

So, this thread is made mostly for fans of the Void Elves, to discuss them, their potential future and share arts, etc. And to do it here, instead of steering other threads in a discussion about how they should(n't) have been presented in the game prior to their release, their link to Blood Elves and the High Elves, etc.

I'd like haters to refrain from bashing this thread, but I know some will come. it's okay, others will have to just ignore, that shouldn't be too hard.

The next bit of Ren'dorei lore should come in the novel paving the way for Shadowlands, and I hope that it'll be more than just Alleria (just like I hope Turalyon won't be the sole Lightforged character in the book!) because Umbric, Ambassadrice Keira Onyxraven, who should have a very important role, being the top Void Elf representative in Stormwind, seriously need some fleshing out.

And remember that new doorways have opened to us.

Discord for the void elves fans :

https://discord.gg/fAXN96Jm
    Last edited by Manariel; 2022-04-09 at 05:11 PM.

First of all I want to say that the description of Shadows' Rising finally confirms that Alleria is a Void Elf. And I know that there shouldn't be any doubts by now, but I have read way too many people saying that she wasn't an actual Void Elf because she could switch between her two forms.

So anyway, I doubt we will see only Alleria in the novel as far as the Ren'dorei are concerned. Umbric might have a few cameos, he probably will not play a major role because he is not really someone you'd send after a fugitive (his teleportation techniques could be useful, but it's nothing that Alleria can't do). However I am expecting Alleria to bring a few umbral rangers along with her for the hunt.

I am actually somewhat scared for Alleria. She will be spending a lot of time with Turalyon, so I hope she'll be able to keep the whispers at bay like she did in Three Sisters. If she ever had an outburst, Turalyon would understand... but still, these two deserve a happy ending, I don't want either of them to die due to the whispers.

The Vision of Stormwind is so depressing. Alleria succumbing to the whispers and killing her husband, countless innocents, and forcing her child to serve N'Zoth. All because she only wanted to use the shadows for a good cause. That's the worst ending possible and I hope it will remain just that, a mere vision.

The Ren'dorei probably will not play a major role in Shadowlands, aside from Alleria. However their time will come in the future expansion about the Light and the Void.

Anyway remember to Walk Your Own Path kids.
    Expansion Storylines ranking:

Legion > Cataclysm > MoP > BfA up to 8.2.5 > Wrath > TBC > WoD > Dragonflight > BfA 8.3 > Shadowlands

The most exciting prospect for Void Elves to me is lore upcoming in a potential Void Lords/Light expansion.

I actually hope the ending in Visions comes to pass, otherwise, what's the point? Suffering builds character, and while Alleria as a protagonist can overcome the whispers of the Void, she can still in a moment of weakness succumb, kill Turalyon, and reel herself back from the shock and go on to be the hero of the story. Likewise, she can also simply succumb, killing Turalyon, friends, forcing her son to serve, and become a villain like Sylvanas did, but as a servant to The Void while Sylvanas serves death. They're interesting parallels and I wouldn't mind seeing either explored, but they can't just defy The Void, retain its power, and have a wholly happy ending without loss.

The other side of the coin can have Turalyon becoming a crazed zealot to The Light and pulling an 180 wherein he tries to kill Alleria after she's successfully defied her Void Masters, but still retained its powers, but that's a discussion for The Lightforged Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    The most exciting prospect for Void Elves to me is lore upcoming in a potential Void Lords/Light expansion.

I actually hope the ending in Visions comes to pass, otherwise, what's the point? Suffering builds character, and while Alleria as a protagonist can overcome the whispers of the Void, she can still in a moment of weakness succumb, kill Turalyon, and reel herself back from the shock and go on to be the hero of the story. Likewise, she can also simply succumb, killing Turalyon, friends, forcing her son to serve, and become a villain like Sylvanas did, but as a servant to The Void while Sylvanas serves death. They're interesting parallels and I wouldn't mind seeing either explored, but they can't just defy The Void, retain its power, and have a wholly happy ending without loss.

The other side of the coin can have Turalyon becoming a crazed zealot to The Light and pulling an 180 wherein he tries to kill Alleria after she's successfully defied her Void Masters, but still retained its powers, but that's a discussion for The Lightforged Thread.
    Oh when I said it would be the "worst" ending, I didn't mean it would be a badly-written ending, I was just saying that it would be a very sad ending for Alleria (since she kills everyone she loved and dies). I am not opposed to a fall from grace arc; in fact, one of my favourite characters from WC3 is Arthas and he is basically synonym of the Fallen Hero trope, but I have my doubts that Blizzard could pull off such an arc for Alleria. Let's just say that after Daenerys' arc I am more cautious about this type of storyline.

I agree that there should still be a feeling of loss even if the ending is happy, but I still want a happy ending for Alleria (I mean, who doesn't want a happy ending for their favourite character?).
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2020-02-12 at 07:03 PM.

Legion > Cataclysm > MoP > BfA up to 8.2.5 > Wrath > TBC > WoD > Dragonflight > BfA 8.3 > Shadowlands

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebra the War Criminal View Post
    Oh when I said it would be the "worst" ending, I didn't mean it would be a badly-written ending, I was just saying that it would be a very sad ending for Alleria. I am not opposed to a fall from grace arc; in fact, one of my favourite characters from WC3 is Arthas and he is basically synonym of the Fallen Hero trope, but I have my doubts that Blizzard could pull off such an arc for Alleria. Let's just say that after Daenerys' arc I am more cautious about this type of storyline.

I agree that there should still be a feeling of loss even if the ending is happy, but I would still want a happy ending (I mean, who doesn't want a happy ending for their favourite character?).
    Well... Arthas didn't have a happy ending, and he's celebrated as among Warcraft/WoW's best written characters. lol When movies like There Will Be Blood and No Country for Old Men, and Joker do so well, and have no happy ending, it shows that sometimes when appropriate, people don't necessarily want, or need a happy ending. Not every hero calls for it. The jury's still out on Alleria, I'm always in support for what gets the most out of the character and the story, and putting Alleria through some serious trials and tribulations might get the most out of her character and whatever story she features. As they say, sometimes it's hell getting into heaven, and Shadowlands introduces a brand new element wherein even if Alleria loses all her loved ones, there's always the afterlife to re-join them if she pivots back to the right path after straying.

Or not.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly the best part about Void Elves is it gives us a "good" application of the Void. And divorices the power of the Void from the Old Gods/Void Lords that used to be synonymous with it.

The Void? That's a tool like any other magic. Old Gods/Void Lords? They're bad, don't listen to them.

It fixes Shadow Priests by extension, which is great because I hated how in Legion they were re-tooled to be blatantly evil.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

I'm not sure about what I want for Alleria in the future. She's such a huge character that I find myself far more attracted by the smaller ones, like Umbric, Keira and even the Island Expedition Team.

The first seems like such a contradiction : he is a magister, thus probably a noble of Quel'thalas, grown in a very hedonistic and priviledged society, and yet displayed an overt distate for tha ccumulation of wealth on the back of poorer peoples, when infiltrating Gallywix's Palace. I do wonder what kind of society he could help foster on Telogrus (or in a more appropriate place, where the Void Elves could settle and grow).

Keira is also probably a former noble, and she seems quite strange compared to other Void Elves, being clearly more of a civilian (like many others) than a mage/priest. She may be hinting at some larger society, even before to Umbric and his people being Void infused, since I doubt he'd trust a potentially newly changed Blood Elf to play ambassador to Stormwind. The fatc that she also seems quite interested in discovering Stormwind so she probably never travelled outside of Quel'thalas before. Which, i suspect, is the main difference with the other kind of Thalassian Elves serving in the Alliance : the Void Elves are clearly a lot more devoted to Quel'thalas -or the idea they have of it - than the High Elves.

Finally, the Riftblades. They are clearly a few step away from losing it because of the Void, and I'd like to have them be groomed to be sympathetic characters for Alliance players, who would still fail in the end, succumbing to the whispers in spite of their good intentions.

I'd like to see Telogrus evolve into an actual stronghold rather than just some tents on a floating rock. In fact if we ever have an expansion where we travel to the void to face the void lords, I wouldn't mind seeing the hypothetical Telogrus stronghold mentioned above, be the main Alliance hub for such an expansion like a Ren'Dorei themed Dalaran as it were. I'd also like to see some really well developed Void Elf characters that aren't Umbric and Alleria.

As to the lore, I'd like to see more information regarding how Void Elves propagate. There's only so many Alliance High Elves and Blood Elf traitors, and only so many of those that would be willing to become Ren'Dorei, and as far as the current lore is concerned, the Ren'Dorei have not figured out a way to convert others yet, and even when they do, that's a source of Void Elves that will reach its limit sooner rather than later IMO. I'd like to know if Void Elves can produce offspring normally, if those offspring are Void Elves at birth, and if so, how their minds are protected from the whispers during gestation and adolescence.

As far as game mechanics/visuals go, I'd like to see some sort of option to make all abilities used by Void Elves use the blue/black color of the heritage wings where possible. It would really go a long way to showcasing them as intrinsically tied to the void. Even for the non-casting classes, having that blue/black void "glow" accent their attacks and other visual effect intensive abilities would drive home the point that even the non-caster Ren'Dorei have a deep connection to the void that they utilize.
    Last edited by Kyriani; 2020-02-13 at 08:15 PM.

Being exiled from Silvermoon and forced to live in Scourge-infested wilderness probably hardened Umbric, made him more grizzled. He could've lived years in the wilds, having to cope with the harsh conditions however he could, so perhaps that's why he's so sympathetic of the poor despite being an old Magister (having been born before the Troll Wars). Speaking of Umbric, I really enjoyed his interactions with Shandris and Wyrmbane, he seems like a very friendly leader and I hope they develop him more in the future. He also showed a darker side in the Zuldazar campaign, when he decided to defile the corpses of sacred dinosaurs to demoralize the Zandalari. He could be an interesting morally grey hero, the elements are all there.

As for Alleria, if they can make a fall from grace arc work, then I am not opposed to it. As I said, I loved Arthas in WC3. However, after everything she's gone through, I want her to be happy with Turalyon and Arator. It wouldn't be a fairy tale ending anyway because they still wouldn't be able to even touch each other due to the conflicting energies in their bodies, so there would still be a feeling of loss in such an ending.

Finally, regarding Telogrus, there's one way they could develop it. Since Telogrus is teetering on the brink of the Void, where time most likely passes differently (I'm not actually sure if this is confirmed, but it just makes sense), then it's not hard to see how they could develop it. 2 years on Azeroth could be 20 years in Telogrus. They have all the elements needed to have a city appear in Telogrus without it feeling out of place or a plot hole. I am also interested to see how Telogrus architecture would look like, probably a darkened and more gothic version of Silvermoon.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2020-02-12 at 07:59 PM.

they still wouldn't be able to even touch each other due to the conflicting energies in their bodies
    They can touch each other tho, as shown in "Three Sisters". I guess he can't touch her, when she is in her voidform.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriani View Post
    I'd like to see Telogrus evolve into an actual stronghold rather than just some tents on a floating rock. In fact if we ever have an expansion where we travel to the void to face the void lords, I wouldn't mind seeing the hypothetical Telogrus stronghold mentioned above, be the main Alliance hub for such an expansion like a Ren'Dorei themed Dalaran as it were. I'd also like to see some really well developed Void Elf characters that aren't Umbric and Alleria.

As to the lore, I'd like to see more information regarding how Void Elves propagate. There's only so many Alliance High Elves and Blood Elf traitors that would be willing to become Ren'Dorei, and as far as the current lore is concerned, the Ren'Dorei have not figured out a way to convert others yet, and even when they do, that's a source of Void Elves that will reach its limit sooner rather than later IMO. I'd like to know if Void Elves can produce offspring normally, if those offspring are Void Elves at birth, and if so, how their minds are protected from the whispers during gestation and adolescence.

As far as game mechanics/visuals go, I'd like to see some sort of option to make all abilities used by Void Elves use the blue/black color of the heritage wings where possible. It would really go a long way to showcasing them as intrinsically tied to the void. Even for the non-casting classes, having that blue/black void "glow" accent their attacks and other visual effect intensive abilities would drive home the point that even the non-caster Ren'Dorei have a deep connection to the void that they utilize.
    Regarding Telogrus, I want some void Elves leading an expedition in Netherstorm to get two very important elements : the technology of the eco-domes, using their connection to the Ethereals, to make telogrus a thriving place for them, instead of the dead rock it is currently. It would go a long way to establish them as a real race, and not just a little group of corrupted elves. Secondly, they need to get their hands on High Astromancer Solarian's researches and add her knowledge to their own. Any and all information on the Void and how to resist its influence is needed, after all.

Regarding their population, i'd play on the fact that all servants of the Old Gods are insectoids, which reproduce extremely fast, to say that the Void infused creatures actually reproduce a lot faster - and possibly mature faster too. if the Light is the immutability of One Truth, then the Void is the swarming Multitude of Truths. However, to avoid the corruption of such unformed mind, magical research would have to be pursued, possibly with enchanted jewels and all that protecting its wearer from the effects of the Void, possibly weakening the pregnant elf's connection to it for a time, or just belt or some garment to isolate the unborn child. However, i'd have this not be perfectly successful, with newborns ranging from the extremely rare normal Thalassian-looking to an extremely mutated aberration, with most children being born normal ren'dorei.

I'd also have the kids being raised more by the community, so they could be always be watched, for any sign of corruption of madness, and either cured, isolated or steered toward the best voices and whispers, to foster a better future.

Quote Originally Posted by BaumanKing View Post
    They can touch each other tho, as shown in "Three Sisters". I guess he can't touch her, when she is in her voidform.
    Yeah, I meant that. I can't imagine they'd be able to work together efficiently in battle, unless Alleria handicapped herself by not using Void form. Turalyon probably wouldn't even be able to use his Light powers to heal/shield her.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2020-02-12 at 09:07 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    As much as i hate void elves (and i do hate them) the one good thing is they have the potential to become something cool. Make them more like dark elves. Have the void corruption start to fuck with there minds.

5+ Year Old Account
    First of all I want to say that the description of Shadows' Rising finally confirms that Alleria is a Void Elf. And I know that there shouldn't be any doubts by now, but I have read way too many people saying that she wasn't an actual Void Elf because she could switch between her two forms.
    Her confirmation as a Void Elf also means Void Elves have more of a reason to get her high elf customization. Since you can make night elves similar to Tyrande/Malfurion and Blood Elves can look like their prolific leaders (Rommath, Liadrin, Lorthemar before a completely unique model).

Especially since Alleria's model is standard Thalassian.

Quote Originally Posted by Manariel View Post
    Regarding Telogrus, I want some void Elves leading an expedition in Netherstorm to get two very important elements : the technology of the eco-domes, using their connection to the Ethereals, to make telogrus a thriving place for them, instead of the dead rock it is currently. It would go a long way to establish them as a real race, and not just a little group of corrupted elves. Secondly, they need to get their hands on High Astromancer Solarian's researches and add her knowledge to their own. Any and all information on the Void and how to resist its influence is needed, after all.

Regarding their population, i'd play on the fact that all servants of the Old Gods are insectoids, which reproduce extremely fast, to say that the Void infused creatures actually reproduce a lot faster - and possibly mature faster too. if the Light is the immutability of One Truth, then the Void is the swarming Multitude of Truths. However, to avoid the corruption of such unformed mind, magical research would have to be pursued, possibly with enchanted jewels and all that protecting its wearer from the effects of the Void, possibly weakening the pregnant elf's connection to it for a time, or just belt or some garment to isolate the unborn child. However, i'd have this not be perfectly successful, with newborns ranging from the extremely rare normal Thalassian-looking to an extremely mutated aberration, with most children being born normal ren'dorei.

I'd also have the kids being raised more by the community, so they could be always be watched, for any sign of corruption of madness, and either cured, isolated or steered toward the best voices and whispers, to foster a better future.
    I like the idea of the Void Elves seeking more knowledge about the void from previous in-game locations. I hadn't considered them appropriating Ethereal eco-dome tech, but I'm not sure I'd want to see decidedly Ethereal specific architecture or technology used by the Void Elves. With that said, I see no reason they couldn't adapt Ethereal principles with a more Ren'Dorei aesthetic for their own use, especially since they have at least one Ethereal working with them, and there's a second one who appears in various places in Telogrus rift sometimes, but shh! we're not supposed to talk about her! (look up Shadreen if you're curious!).

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rendark View Post
    As much as i hate void elves (and i do hate them) the one good thing is they have the potential to become something cool. Make them more like dark elves. Have the void corruption start to fuck with there minds.
    Their whole concept is taking control and not letting the Void control them so that's a weird thing to wish for.

Nightborne are basically your stereotypical Dark Elves found in other universes. They even have the off-brand Fal'dorei spider group.

Void Elves have a very interesting concept going for them in terms of controlling this raw force we've seen more often as evil/negative in a positive light. The sad thing is none of that potential has been explored and is just sitting there.

Void Elf genocide when? I'll join in.

5+ Year Old Account
    I just wanna' see how they mingle with Alliance races outside of war-scenarios.

Its one thing to be allies with someone in time of war, because you're focused on surviving/winning. But how would the Alliance welcome them during times of rest? I think it would be an interesting area to explore esp considering a lot of uninformed folks would probably consider them closer to being Horde than Alliance.
    Honorary member of the Baine Fanclub, the only member really.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pennem View Post
    Their whole concept is taking control and not letting the Void control them so that's a weird thing to wish for.
    Ya and that's just like blood elves and nightborne.

Nightborne are basically your stereotypical Dark Elves found in other universes.
    The nightborne are less dark and more high elf again just like the blood elves.

Void Elves have a very interesting concept going for them in terms of controlling this raw force we've seen more often as evil/negative in a positive light.
    There is nothing interesting about that anymore. Warlocks and shadow priest have been doing that forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharby View Post
    I just wanna' see how they mingle with Alliance races outside of war-scenarios.
    It's going very well for them I think, they are walking in the city of Stormwind, in the streets of the quarter of the magi, they talk quietly with the high elves. So they stay between Thalassian elves.

Otherwise they are near the embassy but over there it's more for recruiting for the war.