Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Which is what happened to Alleria in the Vision of Stormwind. She did not join N'Zoth because she woke up one day and decided to become evil, she did it because the Void twisted her thoughts and led her to believe that the Light was too weak and couldn't save anyone. She still had noble intentions, but was misguided by N'Zoth into believing that the Void was the only way. When she's killed, she was ashamed of the horrible things she did. Also it's interesting how many civilians in Stormwind were still alive but living under Alleria's rule. The orphans for example became a lot creepier and were out playing in the streets, there was a blacksmith who resumed his work, there were some shopkeepers who were still alive and owning their shops, etc... This proves that the Void is not just a mindless enemy that wants to kill everyone, instead it wants to rule over everyone in a sort of "peace".
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2020-02-15 at 10:18 AM.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

I think Alleria is more insane than morally grey in the Visions.

However, orher ren'dorei, such as Rauvir in Stormwind, may be morally grey or utterly evil depending of if Blizzard will want to flesh out the tidbits they gave him.

5+ Year Old Account
    This might be a bit too much special treatment, but I think it would be cool if the player occasionally got whispered by the void randomly while fighting/moving, kinda like how N'Zoth does now and how certain artifact weapons did in Legion.

Sporadic dialogue is really neat.
    Honorary member of the Baine Fanclub, the only member really.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manariel View Post
    I think Alleria is more insane than morally grey in the Visions.

However, orher ren'dorei, such as Rauvir in Stormwind, may be morally grey or utterly evil depending of if Blizzard will want to flesh out the tidbits they gave him.
    oh hey finally a named Void Elf other than Alleria and Umbric

Quote Originally Posted by Ardenaso View Post
    oh hey finally a named Void Elf other than Alleria and Umbric
    Well, there are several named Void Elves. Blizzard just need to use and flesh them out.

But its true for all the Allied Races and even most of the normal ones. I mean, the Worgens have Genn and that's all, considering that neither Ivar nor Crowley are used anymore, for instance

5+ Year Old Account
    some of them could be eaisly tricked into committing horrible actions because of it, or expose the flanks of their allies, should they misjudge the future they envisioned.
    Nope. They will never write any REAL internal conflict (i.e. with actual reasons for it and with long-lasting consequences) for the Alliance, much less an Alliance-affiliated character comitting horrible actions. Therefore, it will continue to be the goody two-shoes, dull, purely reactive faction that its fans claim to despise, but actually endorse.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not a fan of void elves but I am interested in the events that will happens as the void and light get desperate in the fight for supremacy. I would like to see the void and light whisper to priests and draw a line in the sand. I honestly want to see Umbric mess around more with void necromancy. I want to see what becomes of the deal (Calia) the light made with death. I want to know if Arator vision will come to pass and how so.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharby View Post
    This might be a bit too much special treatment, but I think it would be cool if the player occasionally got whispered by the void randomly while fighting/moving, kinda like how N'Zoth does now and how certain artifact weapons did in Legion.

Sporadic dialogue is really neat.
    Yea I'd love that. Wish there were more "Rp" elements with them. If you go into the cathedral they basically tell you you're not welcome and to leave ������

Random townsfolk should run away from you in Stormwind scared. Being infused with the void and hearing it's whispers is a ticking timebomb. The current Horrific Visions are testament to that and Lorethemar banned the research so it wouldn't destroy the city.

People really shouldn't be so ok hanging out with them and letting their kids run around in the same areas.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Nope. They will never write any REAL internal conflict (i.e. with actual reasons for it and with long-lasting consequences) for the Alliance, much less an Alliance-affiliated character comitting horrible actions. Therefore, it will continue to be the goody two-shoes, dull, purely reactive faction that its fans claim to despise, but actually endorse.
    They endorse it because the alternative you guys put forth is literally worse than what we're given.

Nobody wants Alliance characters to hate each-other because it goes against the core tenant of the faction. There are a plethora of other valid options for internal conflict that don't involve Genn genociding Tauren or whatever other edgy shit. But that's all you guys put forth, 'Genn and Tyrande should have a revolt against Anduin and essentially succeed from Alliance', 'The Night Elves should hate the Alliance.' This shit isn't good at all. Nobody plays Alliance to be Blue Horde, that stuff works for the Horde but it wouldn't work for the Alliance.

Off the top of my head:

Void Elf's having an awkward(note: not violent) assimilation into Alliance culture, i.e socially they're struggling but they're still Alliance and there are still people who support them.

Management of resources i.e, some people want to allocate more to defending the Alliance (i.e Military defense against Horde) while others want to allocate more towards the society (i.e putting money back into citizen QoL.)

EDIT:

I still don't know where this falsity of 'a character has to commit evil to be well written' comes from or why its so common on this forum, let Alliance characters mess up of course, but you can mess up without being evil, a general overextending his forces and getting his men killed is a grievous mistake that increases his complexity, but has nothing to do with being morally defunct. If that's the route they want to take with Alliance characters, me, as an Alliance player would have no quarrel with it, it would keep the Alliance from being overly perfect while also keeping their honorable and good motif intact.

I understand that the writers shove all this bad shit on the Horde constantly, but its not constructive to literally do the same to the Alliance and then claim its the only way to make them more 3 dimensional.

EDIT 2:

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    Yea I'd love that. Wish there were more "Rp" elements with them. If you go into the cathedral they basically tell you you're not welcome and to leave ������

Random townsfolk should run away from you in Stormwind scared. Being infused with the void and hearing it's whispers is a ticking timebomb. The current Horrific Visions are testament to that and Lorethemar banned the research so it wouldn't destroy the city.

People really shouldn't be so ok hanging out with them and letting their kids run around in the same areas.
    I def think it would be neat, the part of the DK intro to your capital city with the townspeople spitting on you and throwing crap on you was really cool, every-time you heard lots of screaming you KNEW it was because a new DK was in town and that was sick as shit. I def don't mind Void Elves getting the same treatment as long as its done in a way that suits them and isn't overly alienating, because there are most likely lots of people who would support their inclusions as they are endorsed by revered Alliance heroes (Alleria and Turalyon) on top of being endorsed by their King.
    Last edited by Sharby; 2020-02-20 at 02:40 AM.
    Honorary member of the Baine Fanclub, the only member really.

5+ Year Old Account
    @Sharby it isn't (necessarily) about "committing genocide" or otherwise getting edgy for no apparent reason. It's about internal tensions amounting to something more than a few harsh words from Tyrande, before everyone goes back to hugging each other under the Golden Boi's benevolent gaze. Conflict, implied or explicit, is the core of any narrative, which means that if you don't initiate said conflict, or can't otherwise provide it on your own (preferably in a non-asspull way), it will come from somewhere else - thus rendering you a purely reactive, passive, and ultimately dull character(s).

And even so, I'm not talking about "committing genocide" or getting edgy in general. For example, the LF goats. They are militant zealots of the Light, warriors hardened by thousands and thousands of war against the Legion. How comes they are suddenly so chitty-chatty with freaking VOID elves? I know, maybe they won't say anything while they are fighting shoulder to shoulder against an undead nutjob, but afterwards? They should absolutely shudder to even think about consorting with dem blueberry folks. And anyway, how comes that such a group of fierce, long-lived, highly experienced warriors accept a puny human not as a trusted collaborator, or even a respected advisor - but as their freaking leader? Can't writers realise the huge "human potential" meme here?

Or void elves, while we're at it. How is it possible that not even one of them has succumbed to the whispers? I get it, Alleria is a ranger with a natural affinity for handling a school of magic that has driven even Dragon aspects to madness - and she does so just fine, everything is under control. Yes, Locus Walker trained her yadda-yadda (btw why did he have to choose precisely her? Why not a scholarly elf with presumably more previous knowledge of the matter at hand? Oh well...) but why has NONE of her disciples gone over the rainbow crazy, even if temporarily? Are her training methods so infallible?

And don't get me started by all the BS NEs had to go through, only for Tyrande to become even cringier than she was in Legion. Anduin threw her entire race to the wolves, and failed to provide any meaningful military relief (only Genn gave a hand, entirely of his own accord) afterwards - and all Tyrande has to say are a few angry words without any actual weight? In the meantime, her beloved Shandris is too busy gargling on boycock to be of any help.

But of course, you can sweep all of that under the rug, and pretend it doesn't happen - as a matter of fact, writers do that all the time. But don't expect any Alliance-centered story in return, the closest you'll have to that was Legion... And it won't happen again.
    Last edited by Soon-TM; 2020-02-20 at 05:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennem View Post

Nightborne are basically your stereotypical Dark Elves found in other universes. They even have the off-brand Fal'dorei spider group.
    Funny, that's what people said of the night elves in their introduction.

Although I do find it a little amusing that some people look at the Nightborne and just can't connect them to the night elves, which they are entirely based on, going back on material written for night elves 15 years ago. Alas it was in several books, not in game, so night elves show up skinnier, with a tiny ear adjustment, and it's amazing people just don't spot it. Some people anyway,

yes the Nightborne are very dark elfy, its's the dark elf half of the night elf you never saw much of until now fully revealed, rather than quick side references.=. In wow's lore, the evil dark elves all turned into naga. But they were always night elves in this franchise. Not wood elves, not dark elves, not forest elves. All their racial name should technically make them Star elves, whiles the Nightborne would technically be night elves. Shal'dorei is children of the night. Kaldorei is children of the stars..

Alas, some completely forget the night in Nightborne.

@Sharby it isn't (necessarily) about "committing genocide" or otherwise getting edgy for no apparent reason. It's about internal tensions amounting to something more than a few harsh words from Tyrande, before everyone goes back to hugging each other under the Golden Boi's benevolent gaze. Conflict, implied or explicit, is the core of any narrative, which means that if you don't initiate said conflict, or can't otherwise provide it on your own (preferably in a non-asspull way), it will come from somewhere else - thus rendering you a purely reactive, passive, and ultimately dull character(s).

And even so, I'm not talking about "committing genocide" or getting edgy in general. For example, the LF goats. They are militant zealots of the Light, warriors hardened by thousands and thousands of war against the Legion. How comes they are suddenly so chitty-chatty with freaking VOID elves? I know, maybe they won't say anything while they are fighting shoulder to shoulder against an undead nutjob, but afterwards? They should absolutely shudder to even think about consorting with dem blueberry folks. And anyway, how comes that such a group of fierce, long-lived, highly experienced warriors accept a puny human not as a trusted collaborator, or even a respected advisor - but as their freaking leader? Can't writers realise the huge "human potential" meme here?

Or void elves, while we're at it. How is it possible that not even one of them has succumbed to the whispers? I get it, Alleria is a ranger with a natural affinity for handling a school of magic that has driven even Dragon aspects to madness - and she does so just fine, everything is under control. Yes, Locus Walker trained her yadda-yadda (btw why did he have to choose precisely her? Why not a scholarly elf with presumably more previous knowledge of the matter at hand? Oh well...) but why has NONE of her disciples gone over the rainbow crazy, even if temporarily? Are her training methods so infallible?

And don't get me started by all the BS NEs had to go through, only for Tyrande to become even cringier than she was in Legion. Anduin threw her entire race to the wolves, and failed to provide any meaningful military relief (only Genn gave a hand, entirely of his own accord) afterwards - and all Tyrande has to say are a few angry words without any actual weight? In the meantime, her beloved Shandris is too busy gargling on boycock to be of any help.

But of course, you can sweep all of that under the rug, and pretend it doesn't happen - as a matter of fact, writers do that all the time. But don't expect any Alliance-centered story in return, the closest you'll have to that was Legion... And it won't happen again.
    I agree that Blizzard certainly dropped the ball with the Alliance's depiction in BFA. Again, my I had.

But concerning the Void Elves, they have at least seeded some troubling elements : Rauvir and another named Ren'dorei, plus several not-named NPCs, seem to be conspiring in secret in Stormwind, and I suspect it isn't a good thing. Plus the Island Expedition Team is also clearly on the verge of succumbing to the whispers. And of course, the Horrific Vision of Stormwind has all the Void Elves gone insane.

However, even beyond that, during the assaults of the Alliance where they appearn, the Void Elves already seem over-relient on the Void and its whispers to craft their strategies, and it may end being a bad thing. If Blizzard remember to use them differently than the usual Blood Elf NPC who goes mad with power. So far, I'm afraid they won't, and will just swipe the usual "Muhahaha, so much power, I must claim it for myself and be recognized because of it!" which is the thing of most Blood Elven NPCs we have to kill by "Muhahaha, so much Void Power etc.".

And yet, there could be a lot of ways to make a Void Elf faillible without making them go fully insane. Some will have to, of course, because the Void must be dangerous and deadly. But others could be used in a far more crafiter way. Imagine a Ren'dorei that we'd follow as an Alliance player, who seems to always succeed in his missions, and rise in the ranks, during the course of several zones/updates. All because he sort out the whispers. But then, he start to suffer stebacks, and they become ever more grievous. But he's persuaded that he can't be the one at fault. After all, he knows how to sort out the truth from the lies of the Void.

Then, we as players could have to arrest him - not kill him, arrest him - because he's become totally delusional and needs to be stopped for now. And then he could return later on as a less-efficient but more stable NPC, able to achieve something, but now always extremely wary of himself.

That could be interesting I think.

Locus-Walker met Alleria because they were imprisoned in the same place by the Legion. Alleria used her skills to kill the demon who was chaining them. That is when their training began.

Also Void corruption is a slow and insidious one. It has been only a year since the events of 7.3 and the rise of the void elves.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Has there been any info on Alleria and the Void Elves' role in the new book yet ? I've stopped following the news about this one, so I don't even know if it's out yet or not.

Has there been any info on Alleria and the Void Elves' role in the new book yet ? I've stopped following the news about this one, so I don't even know if it's out yet or not.

we just know that King Anduin entrusts Alleria and Turalyon to discover where Sylvanas is.

For more information, wait until the book comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchvince View Post
    we just know that King Anduin entrusts Alleria and Turalyon to discover where Sylvanas is.

For more information, wait until the book comes out.
    Oh, ok. I thought it was out somehow.

I just hope we'll see more of them than just Alleria.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardenaso View Post
    that's cool. hope they add Void Elf Paladins and Druids on top of that
    Void Elf Paladins wouldn't make sense to me. the Light has been presented as the perfect anti-thesis of the Void so far, so they shouldn't be able to be Paladins, even with High Elven looks (if they come, but knowing Blizzard, I won't wait for those while holding my breathe).

Druids however, could be interesting. They already did an incredible work with the KT ones, who are closer to the Death than Life angle in appearance at least. But Void Elf druids could be great, if they managed to eschew the over use of tentacles and other Voidy protuberances. They'd need to work on some serious cool looking creatures like they did for the Zandalari, instead of just NE forms but with Void for it to be worth it.

Oh, ok. I thought it was out somehow.

I just hope we'll see more of them than just Alleria.
    I reaaaaally hope we get a bit of insight on how VE's are doing as a group, like confirmation if/how they have been making more. After the whole Fourth War debacle, I could see Alleria managing to convince some more BE's to join her -as well as scrounging some Alliance High Elves-

But yeah, I really hope VE's get addressed and it's not just Alleria in the book.

Void Elf Paladins wouldn't make sense to me. the Light has been presented as the perfect anti-thesis of the Void so far, so they shouldn't be able to be Paladins, even with High Elven looks (if they come, but knowing Blizzard, I won't wait for those while holding my breathe).

Druids however, could be interesting. They already did an incredible work with the KT ones, who are closer to the Death than Life angle in appearance at least. But Void Elf druids could be great, if they managed to eschew the over use of tentacles and other Voidy protuberances. They'd need to work on some serious cool looking creatures like they did for the Zandalari, instead of just NE forms but with Void for it to be worth it.
    This is why we need either a fourth spec for paladins called Void, much like how priests can walk either path, or a full new class that is essentially the militant warrior-priest order of shadow. You could have tons of cool attacks that look like the starry void glass that the VE heritage armor and mount has on it. Lots of gravity attacks, implosions, black holes, dark stars, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MyWholeLifeIsThunder View Post
    I reaaaaally hope we get a bit of insight on how VE's are doing as a group, like confirmation if/how they have been making more. After the whole Fourth War debacle, I could see Alleria managing to convince some more BE's to join her -as well as scrounging some Alliance High Elves-

But yeah, I really hope VE's get addressed and it's not just Alleria in the book.
    I hope so, but I'm not confident, now that we've seen the cover. They were already forgotten entirely come N'Zoth's release, save has corrutped troops in his Horrific Vision, which have no bearing for the real NPCs, so...

Quote Originally Posted by FossilFree View Post
    This is why we need either a fourth spec for paladins called Void, much like how priests can walk either path, or a full new class that is essentially the militant warrior-priest order of shadow. You could have tons of cool attacks that look like the starry void glass that the VE heritage armor and mount has on it. Lots of gravity attacks, implosions, black holes, dark stars, etc.
    While a spec/class centered around the Void would be great, I think it'd hit two major hurdles. First, all the added classes have been melee, and it may be good to add a new ranged class, in which case paladin-like wouldn't fit.

Two, the class would need to have - at best - a Void spec to work, because no other race can wield it like the Void Elves do, to have a full class about it. Now, astromancer/artificer could work. It'd open the door for Draenei, Nightborns, Blood Elves, Zandalari, Kul Tirans in my eyes.