Page 3 of 77 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    That’s not really the opposite of what you quoted. It’s a caveat that shows the ignorance of some.
    It is the opposite of the 'elite of the elite' part. It very much does make them the elite of the elite, it just means the bar is actually far lower than they realized because many of them unknowingly played on hard mode.

Jesus, can we stop beating this question over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over?

Yes it is easy, yes ppl that play it enjoy it anyways, if you dont enjoy jit, play retail, GW2, FFXIV, TESO, or whatever floats your boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Echocho View Post
    I feel that the community kinda lied to the players that came in fresh. Classic was painted as this hardcore super difficult game compared to a dumbed down super easy retail when in reality it's the complete opposite. Classes have like two buttons to press if they're lucky and bosses have almost no mechanics.
    The difficulty from classic comes in different forms but absolutely is not "mechanical" like current wow hardcore raiding.

Leveling is absolutely more challenging than current. Dont even try to deny it.
    The mobs hit harder, ninja pulls are death and elite quests require grouping...and sometimes, not even elite quests require grouping.
    So we at least have one thing more challenging than current. 100%

Another thing that can be considered difficult is how "time consuming" the game is.
    If you have "a life" the game consumes everything out of you.
    Unless you are in a good Guild, for example, clearing AQ 40 in one go require hours of your life.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's really an irrelevant question. 15 years of playing the content and the player mandate not to change hardly anything led to what you have. There were no unknowns; nothing to figure out. The idea that Vanilla was so difficult was oversold in the first place. It wasn't but with a playerbase that was new to the game, sure, people had a learning curve then that they do not now.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I know its cute to say 'lol u can finish LFR in a coma with no brain activity' but LFR has had mechanics that matter for a while now. As a recent example Wrathion's Scorching Blister explosions absolutely still kill if you fail at it in LFR. Even as far back as Throne of Thunder, Durumu had to be done correctly in LFR or you wiped.

So yeah, Classic is in fact easier than LFR and people wiping the floor with BWL in 42 minutes is proof in the pudding. Sorry/not sorry.
    You do realize that any top guild would wipe the floor with mythic raids from legion now? If they are given their exact characters from legion just when the last raid dropped, they would clear it very fast.

Does that mean all mythic raids in legion were a cakewalk?

People forget that all classes are buffed as hell in 1.12 and the gear is vastly changes to make sense. Healing coeff is A LOT better than when bwl dropped. Mana was a true issue at this stage if the game but now we raid with less healers and they still never go out of mana.

We are getting the lfr version of vanilla. Which is fine by me because I, and most others, play for the MMO and RPG part of the genre. It's nice to have a life and raid bwl

I think we will still see guilds struggle a bit in aq40 and Naxx. Not the hardcore guilds ofc. But causal guilds. They will clear it, and faster than most might think. But it'll still take effort.

Just look at the 1.1 warrior talent tree and awe in how in hell they even survived to 60.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Echocho View Post
    Classic has extremely little content if you're not a raider or a serious PvP:er, however I'm beginning to feel that the content it does have is way too easy. Raids are cleared the first reset by most guilds and then you're back to raid logging for farm raids that are almost as easy as LFR is in retail.
    It doesn't give you a sense of accomplishment and the character progression is extremely slow, with new gear upgrades coming at you about once a month.
    It's starting to feel like, what's the point if there's no challenge?
    Classic was easy back then (people just had 0 experience in the game compared to now is what made it "hard". People wanted the classic experience and that's what they got. People's knowledge of the game just increased alot in 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by czarek View Post
    Superior to retail ? Tbh retail and classic are good in some way both are really different. Classic is slow clunky and calm. Its like smooth and steady walk on the park. Retail is fast and loud its like death metal audition near the stage with head bangin etc.
    I like to remember that before we were THE hero of Azeroth and the killer of a god, we used to beat boars over the head with a mallet.

Well, what did you expect? It's content that's been out for 15 years. That's 15 whole years for people who has already beaten it to spread information and teach others how to do it. 15 years for people to read up on the strategies and figure out how to do the fights. That's like saying "inventing the wheel isn't so difficult in 2020" well yea, cause it's already been done.

Classic wow was never hard at all, it just took a lot of time. All 40 people needed the onyxia scale cloak or you literally couldn't move past the 2nd boss in BWL. It was stuff like this and the nostalgia goggles that made people think classic was hard when it really wasn't.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    I like to remember that before we were THE hero of Azeroth and the killer of a god, we used to beat boars over the head with a mallet.
    Yes its thing that people used to call progres and evolution

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm just glad this bullshit meme pushed for years about how Vanilla was a pinnacle of skill and shit died in fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Protean View Post
    I feel like I saw way more people from private servers talking about how hardcore vanilla was and classic would be. Guess they got a reality check when they realized they weren't the elite of the elite for playing private servers.
    The real wakeup call was that everything on classic did 1/2 the damage than of Elysium. I should know.

Even then, private server people wasnt touting how hardcore the game was, sodapoppin with the whole project x stuff, asmongold and esfand were all hyping up how hardcore ""vanilla"" was, but the truth is classic has a ton of similarities in difficulty with retail.
    Quote Originally Posted by arr0gance View Post
    Maybe they can poll the AI and figure out why their game sucks.

Yes, it is. The game was nice back in the day but it is nothing more than a cute nostalgia trip today.
    If you are looking for a challenge you play something else like retial.

Quote Originally Posted by avx81 View Post
    LOL.. Heroic is most likely more difficult? No. Heroic IS more difficult. I would argue NORMAL is more difficult. BWL is about as difficult as LFR. Even LFR has more mechanics. I called it months ago. Most of the people on my friends list who talked about classic being the best thing since sliced bread migrated back to retail within about 2 months. Nobody cares about classic or the "world first bwl" that took 40 minutes. In another week after the BWL nostalgia has worn off nobody is going to care about watching classic on twitch again either.
    Completely ignorable mechanics aren't mechanics except in name only.

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalName View Post
    Your fault for listening to people like asmongold who had a vested monetary interest in hyping classic up.

There were no shortage of honest people, who actually played private servers who could tell you all about it.
    Actually it was the other way around. Asmongold said from the start that Classic was going to be a joke. It was the private server community that sold it as difficult and hardcore. I chose (like always) to not listening to anything Asmongold had to say, maybe I should've this time.

So yeah, Classic is in fact easier than LFR and people wiping the floor with BWL in 42 minutes is proof in the pudding. Sorry/not sorry.
    I mean, maybe, but in neglecting to point out that people had been practicing on private servers for months leading up to the release of bwl, on top of 15 years of experience and knowledge, to nail those times, is misleading, if not entirely disingenuous, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by op3l View Post
    All 40 people needed the onyxia scale cloak or you literally couldn't move past the 2nd boss in BWL.
    You dont need a cloak for vael.
    Last edited by Daymanmb; 2020-02-14 at 07:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes it's far easier because classic is vanilla after the sequence of nerf patches and retunes had been made leading up to the final state.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    Yes it's far easier because classic is vanilla after the sequence of nerf patches and retunes had been made leading up to the final state.
    This is a contributing factor as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Another thing that can be considered difficult is how "time consuming" the game is.
    Yes but that's not really difficulty. I spend the rest of my free time watching movies and tv shows, it takes up a lot of my time but I wouldn't call it difficult just because of that.

Ahhh... no. [...]
    It was never some hardcore, difficult thing... and anyone who says otherwise is full of shit.
    It wasn't but that doesn't mean a lot of people didn't say it was. Don't you recall the threads upon threads of people who were saying "back in my day we spent 200 days killing that end boss, now you go to lfr and you're done in half an hour".
    Wildstar was advertised as going back to the roots of WoW, as being that hardcore game with epic 40-man raids. That's somehow what people remembered, that it was epic and hardcore.

Quote Originally Posted by Askyl View Post
    You do realize that any top guild would wipe the floor with mythic raids from legion now? If they are given their exact characters from legion just when the last raid dropped, they would clear it very fast.
    That's actually not true. Legion mythic raid encounters were notorius for wiping the entire raid from a miniscule error and no amount of gear changed that. I think that was the point where the community started to feel like mythic wasn't really worth the effort, which is why it's diminishing.