Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Don't be a jerk. It's fine to quit, of course, but leave a couple of lines on the forum saying thanks and goodbye. Or tell someone in the guild. You don't need to offer an explanation, but at the very least some people in the guild may be concerned about your wellbeing. Don't do that to people.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    Is it bad form to just quit the game and not saying anything to my guild who heavily invest in its members? They have a webpage, discord, raid signups and do split-runs so I have to raid twice/week. I don't wanna deal with explanations I just wanna disappear from the game with no excuses or stress.
    this isnt to sound condescending but how old are you?doing something like this just seems immature and cowardly,why is it so hard for you to simply say,''hey guys Im quiting because I dont enjoy playing anymore,sorry and goodluck'',if you dont have the maturity to do this in an online game,how will you handle real issues in real life?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you just want to disappear, then just disappear. Though by making this post, it sounds like that's not all you want.

You will come back so dont burn the birdges behind you. Just throw a short line like 'I have to take a break from the game, and I cannot tell how long will it take, but it was a pleasure playing with you all until now. See you later! '

i would honestly just log into their website, make a post saying "i'm not dead i just quit" then dip.

i think its fair to let people know nothing bad happened to you, but you have every right to pack up and leave.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
    Don't be a jerk. It's fine to quit, of course, but leave a couple of lines on the forum saying thanks and goodbye. Or tell someone in the guild. You don't need to offer an explanation, but at the very least some people in the guild may be concerned about your wellbeing. Don't do that to people.
    ^^ this ^^
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

I don't even understand how anyone would even need to ask if ghosting people is bad form.
    Really ?

Hey, I have a question, is it bad form to punch random people in the face ? I'm not sure, I need to ask on the Internet.

Copy paste this on their discord/forum:

"Thank you for having me, guys, but I have decided it is time for me to move on from WoW. I appreciate all the effort you put in the guild and wish you good luck. I had a good time with you."

Bonus:

"If you wish to stay in touch feel free to add me on Discord/Bnet, my tag is ###"

Took me 30 seconds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it bad form to just quit the game and not saying anything to my guild who heavily invest in its members? They have a webpage, discord, raid signups and do split-runs so I have to raid twice/week. I don't wanna deal with explanations I just wanna disappear from the game with no excuses or stress.
    If you're leaving for some time, or possibly permanently, it's considered polite to at least let your guild know so they can start working on recruiting someone to fill your slot. You don't have to provide any excuses or stress out over how they'll react. Just tell an officer you're planning to quit the game and wanted to give them a heads-up on it so they can prepare accordingly. They might be bummed or frustrated, but ultimately it's your choice and WoW is a video game--if you're not having fun, or need to step away from the game for other reasons, you have to take care of yourself first.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

No it doesn't matter. They are people on the internet, and unless you know them IRL then fuck em. Etiquette doesn't matter when dealing with anonymous people on the internet.
    VOTING IS MOB RULE AND MOB RULE IS MEDIA RULE AND
    MEDIA RULE IS CORPORATE RULE

Its pathetic to disappear without saying anything, several people have done it to my guild and if I saw them hanging on the edge of a cliff needing help I would just walk past.

How about you act like a normal person and just say "Hey guys, I am quitting the game and I don't want to explain why".

Quote Originally Posted by Dalinos View Post
    a game where teaming up with others and creating social bonds is a core mechanic
    Grouping up and other social connections are not a "core" part of WoW, whatever that means. You can enjoy most of WoW's content without ever being in a group and with the chat off.

"but da M in MMO stans fer multie player ya haff 2 play wit me"

No.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

Quote Originally Posted by Dalinos View Post
    This is a thread about Classic, not Retail

Sure, you can play Classic solo. But you're missing out on 90% of the fun. Guild-groups doing 5mans with Discord banter, where even in full current BIS from Ony/MC/Dire Maul you can wipe if you pull 3 packs of mobs in Strath UD are easily the most fun moments in the game. Like, I log on Discord before I log into the game. I also happen to be the guilds main enchanter, so De Facto I interact with every single guild member on a weekly basis, to enchant their gear .

Vanilla/Classic is the closest thing to an actual RPG while being an MMO. The MMO part should not be disregarded.
    i meant it as in general, and the 1st part is very true for classic as well, although i quit once i got 60, lvling was fun (even if tedious as fuck) i only did 2 dungeons so everything else was pretty much solo content if i were to raid, guilds would be just a tool

But you're missing out on 90% of the fun
    that's rather subjective, i really don't like socially interacting with people outside of raiding

ghosting is a bullshit, pussy ass cop out in life.
    learn to deal with people, it is a skill that will serve you very well your whole life.
    the only thing ghosting is going to do for you in life is make you lazy, antisocial and avoided by good people who value being treated decently.

a simple pm saying you're just not into it anymore and moving on. if you want respect in life, you have to give it too brah.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Axxil View Post
    No it doesn't matter. They are people on the internet, and unless you know them IRL then fuck em. Etiquette doesn't matter when dealing with anonymous people on the internet.
    this asshat is the problem. they have created a terrible, selfish, fake and shitty environment in our society that is unavoidable. they are incapable of contributing anything to the world other than self centered moronic opinions that belittle other people so that they can feel better about their sad and pathetic lives.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just say cya to anyone who happens to be online when I'm about to log off for a final time.

Keep it simple.

Send an in-game mail to your GM.

"I'm taking a break/quitting the game for some time. I've enjoyed being a part of this guild, thanks."

Something like that, send it and log of. That is all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    You will eventually realize nobody takes you seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i am no weeb. i am just a connoisseur of fine waifus.

Girls on tinder do it all the time and no one blames them in this birds of prey kind of world. So it should be fine

10+ Year Old Account
    just at least say sorry real life hit me hard must leave, they will understand u have no other choice
    but don't vanish
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

7+ Year Old Account
    Seems like a very weak excuse for not simply dropping some kind of "goodbye" comment/thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    While you should let them know that you're leaving (so they don't think you died or something), you don't actually owe them an explanation as to why. Just let them know you're done with the game, wish them luck in their WoW endeavors, log off and be done with it.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.